The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ Page 259

• Page

of 292 First / Last

• Maturin 18 Apr 2013 22:24:05 3,032 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think the new Sabbath song is excellent. Iommi can do no wrong in my mind. The man is a metal riffing factory. Geezer's bass on the track is great too.

But Ozzy can't do it anymore. The track would be so much better with Dio on it, or in all seriousness, the vastly underrated Tony Martin.
  • joeymoto108 18 Apr 2013 22:31:30 647 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck
    Thanks for the link! That Blunt Force Trauma song is bloody ace btw.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• FuzzyDuck 18 Apr 2013 22:49:23 4,208 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @joeymoto108

No worries mate! :D But thank BeheretiK when you see him as he put us all wise to that link. There's some right crackers in there alright, I particularly enjoyed Guttural Secrete. It's well worth checking out part 1 of that article, if memeory serves the author has a link in the text somewhere.
  • Dr.Haggard 18 Apr 2013 23:20:26 4,217 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    joeymoto108 wrote:
    What's the general consesus on Slam Death Metal bands, like Devourment and Cephalotripsy?
    I can't tell if that's a joke band or not. I also realise anyone who ever says that is just being a dick, but believe me when I say I'm only being 90% dick, there's some genuine doubt there. That sounds fucking absurd, I can't think of any other word for it.
  • joeymoto108 18 Apr 2013 23:35:17 647 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm sure the band will take your constructive criticism into consideration when they write their next album.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• ILoveThrashMetal 18 Apr 2013 23:49:26 739 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Black Sabbath just released their new single.

Nearly 9 minutes long and it is very good. I think it sounds like it could be from an early album and not the trash they made late 70s early 80s.

Iommi is a relentless awesome rift machine.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/04/listen-to-black-sabbaths-new-song-god-is-dead/

Roll on December 10.
    Just listened, quite impressed. Not bad for 60+ yo. But the intro ozzy sounded fucking awful, it did improve though.
    I'm loving the bass, and I don't think I need to comment on the awesome riffmonster that is Tony.

Arsechickens

• Dr.Haggard 19 Apr 2013 00:04:56 4,217 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dr.Haggard 19 Apr 2013 00:06:06 4,217 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @joeymoto108 I hope so, it wasn't easy finding something constructive to say.

Seriously though, this is coming from someone who was right there in the thick of it when grindcore kicked off in the 80s, so I'm not averse to the... less musical corners of the genre. I still listen to the whole spectrum of metal, mostly the more extreme variety (at least I thought so!) but even I struggle to see any value or merit in that. I'm genuinely not just being a dick, what am I missing?
  • joeymoto108 19 Apr 2013 00:15:03 647 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Try this then, a lot better production than that Devourment album, it's also a bit more varied in terms of some more technical moments:

For me personally, it's all about the groove of the song and the relentless brutality. Less emphasis on speed and more emphasis on 'mosh parts' than regular death metal.

• drip 19 Apr 2013 01:12:17 4,111 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    New Black Sabbath song. I don't like it.

At first, it reminded me of Iommi's solo album of 2000, but that's mainly because the sound is very similar, production-wise. Ozzy is hopeless. The whole song doesn't sound very oldschool Sabbath to me, it reminds me more of the Tony Martin era than the actual early Ozzy stuff, something I'd expect on Cross Purposes rather than on anything from the 70s.

In parts, it does sound a bit like the old days, but well, anything in Sabbath history did. And even compared to their despised last album, 1995's Forbidden, it feels very old and tired.

After all the years I didn't hope for a lot coming from them anymore, and this is pretty much what I expected. Too old and too cold, as another great metal band would call it.

On Iommi's aforementioned solo album, which had one different singer for each track, there also was one with Ozzy. In my opinion, quite a lot stronger than the new one, fresher, and even more 70s-er. Very debut-albumy, actually.

But that was 13 years ago, of course. Time flies...

• drip 19 Apr 2013 01:16:29 4,111 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Dr.Haggard

Do you know Anal Cunt?

• joeymoto108 19 Apr 2013 01:26:52 647 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Everyone knows Anal Cunt.

• drip 19 Apr 2013 01:47:26 4,111 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You'd think so, but how can you get bemused by Devourment then?
  • Deleted user 19 April 2013 08:33:53
    Loving the comments on YouTube re god is dead. Most people seem to be complaining it isn't as good as war pigs or Sabbath bloody Sabbath etc. Well durr, if you think some late 60s blokes can re create the magic of the past then you are deluded.

I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised, especially with the fact it was structured like an old Sabbath track that had many different feels within one song.

Ozzy doesn't sound great to be fair but I would take him everyday over dio. Dio Sabbath imo was horse turd compared to ozzy Sabbath.

Bloody Australians, nz, Americans, Canadians and Europeans all get to see them before me!
  • BeheretiK 19 Apr 2013 12:44:01 883 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hell Comes Home Box Set of 7" splits has been compiled into one download and is free for the weekend (or until the max free downloads are reached). Get it here:

http://hellcomeshome.bandcamp.com/album/hell-comes-home-volume-1-box-set

At the buy now just put in 0 and it will be free.

There are some stuff I don't get on with but generally it is filled with great stuff. Something to please everyone I would think and possibly open up some new bands as well.

BTW, the vinyl set looks amazing and I have been hovering over the buy button for that for ages now. Just can't quite get myself to spend that kind of money when I have so much other vinyl classics on discogs that I have my eye on. If anyone does want it there is a 20% discount code that I can send you.

Edited by BeheretiK at 12:44:13 19-04-2013

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• FuzzyDuck 19 Apr 2013 18:56:25 4,208 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:

Ozzy doesn't sound great to be fair but I would take him everyday over dio. Dio Sabbath imo was horse turd compared to ozzy Sabbath.
    :eek: Door's thata-way! Dio-Sabbath doesn't have the same kind of foreboding doom as Ozzy era, but to call his output 'horse turd' (especially H&H) is disingenuous, to say the least.

Re; wrinkly lads who can't live up to their past - Rush's most recent album is one of their best and came out 38 years after their debut.

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 18:57:26 19-04-2013
  • FuzzyDuck 19 Apr 2013 19:27:49 4,208 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @BeheretiK

I know bugger all of those bands, (which is probably an even better reason to grab that!) - cheers for the linkage (again!).

For anyone who haven't heard Memfis before, they've just released a new EP via their website. You can also get their second album ('Vertigo'), which was only released digitally because of some record label based hassle.

Their debut album ('The Wind Up') is an underrated gem, and kind has the sound of Opeth filtered through Atheist's song structures.
  • BeheretiK 19 Apr 2013 20:10:51 883 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck No problem at all, hope you enjoy it.

Not heard Memfis yet. I see their stuff is on Spotify, including that EP, so I shall have a listen tonight. Thanks!

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• FuzzyDuck 19 Apr 2013 20:18:56 4,208 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @BeheretiK

Cool, it's nice to roll up the sleeves and just dive into some unknown stuff!

I'm just giving that Memfis EP its first proper listen now - sounds pretty progged out, but the short run time and their tight playing makes it a taught listen, really enjoying it so far (and the Opeth influence is all but gone; they're very much doing their own thing here).
  • drip 19 Apr 2013 20:31:31 4,111 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Loving the comments on YouTube re god is dead. Most people seem to be complaining it isn't as good as war pigs or Sabbath bloody Sabbath etc. Well durr, if you think some late 60s blokes can re create the magic of the past then you are deluded.
    Talking blues now, but Buddy Guy managed to make an absolutely intense and powerful album with Sweet Tea when he was 65. Some people can do that.

I didn't expect them to be anything like the early days, so there's no hating. But currently I'm listening through my complete Sabbath/Iommi collection again and I can't help the feeling that this one is just so tired and average that it's a mere shadow of anything they've done in the past. Including the unfortunate 76-81 era.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 19 Apr 2013 20:35:24 739 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hey just found this lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1quY0llXTk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Kind of high on fire and mastodon (but better than mastodon)

Arsechickens

• Deleted user 19 April 2013 22:14:25
    0-6 minutes good stuff, 6minutes until end of track are epic. Can't stop listening, June ten too long away let alone December for my closest to the stage seAts :) :) :)
  • Dr.Haggard 19 Apr 2013 23:20:56 4,217 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    joeymoto108 wrote:
    Try this then, a lot better production than that Devourment album, it's also a bit more varied in terms of some more technical moments:

For me personally, it's all about the groove of the song and the relentless brutality. Less emphasis on speed and more emphasis on 'mosh parts' than regular death metal.
    To my ears the only thing similar to that Devourment song here is the vocals, which I have to admit I do find hilarious. At least it doesn't have those tinpot drums, and the music - whilst sounding like any number of late 80s/early 90s also-ran thrash/death bands to my ears - isn't exactly bad (certainly not Devourment bad), but I can't help thinking there must be so many bands around making far better death metal with both 'groove' and 'relentless brutality', what's the appeal of this?

I guess I just don't get the genre. I really hate that I sound like such an old fart, hehe, but it just sounds like a very poor imitation of good music with someone impersonating a drain over it to me :confused:

DrStrangelove wrote:
    @Dr.Haggard

Do you know Anal Cunt?
    What Joey said. Besides Anal Cunt are a joke band.

Right? :)

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 11:18:16 20-04-2013
  • drip 19 Apr 2013 23:49:33 4,111 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:

Anal Cunt are a joke band.
    No way. "Hitler Was a Sensitive Man", for example, is about the misconception of a hugely evil being being an actual hugely evil being. It nails how someone like that is actually a very troubled person, beaten up in his childhood etc., and suppressing his fear and pain with coldness and violence.

At least, a joke band like Anal Cunt doesn't seem to be quite as much of a joke as most "serious" metal bands if you ask me.

Of course, this is saying someone who has been a black metaller in his teenage years, so you could say I have made some extreme experiences with ridiculous "musicians" trying to be earnest and serious and meaningful and philosophical and whatever.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 00:01:43 20-04-2013
  • BTBAM 20 Apr 2013 08:59:51 1,591 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That 'slam death metal' is hilarious, why is it called 'slam death'? Piggy squeals for a whole song is something my dad and I were looking up recently so it's gonna be a laugh to play this.

Still, both of those songs were better than the latest Black Sabbath which was fucking dreadful.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 20 Apr 2013 10:04:02 38,363 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I never did like death metal in general. I can listen to the odd song here and there, but I think it speaks volumes (about my taste or the genre?) that I find Dethklok to be the only death/black metal I can stomach.

Also, I've always hated pigeon-holing bands into sub-genres. Are they death metal or black metal? Oh whatever, close enough.

Aaaaand now I've reminded myself why I started to avoid conversations about metal - I get myself worked up.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• jonsaan 20 Apr 2013 10:18:01 25,353 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DrStrangelove the song from the Iommi album with the Cult singer is outstandingly awesome.

Edited by jonsaan at 10:18:27 20-04-2013

FCUTA!

• joeymoto108 20 Apr 2013 11:45:59 647 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The only metal I listen to is slam death (and a bit of tech death every now and again). Iirc slam was invented by the New York hardcore scene which was used to describe for the mosh bits of a song. Suffocation are said to have had the first slam in DM, in their song Liege of Inveracity. And from that, slam death was born

Edited by joeymoto108 at 11:47:11 20-04-2013

• drip 20 Apr 2013 22:12:28 4,111 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @jonsaan

You mean this one?

Yes it is. Oh yes. There are more awesome songs on that album, but that's one of the best. That riffing is just overkill.

Stuff like this is why I'm disappointed by the new Sabbath song. Because it has a similar sound but this is just so much better. And has better vocalists, obviously.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 22:14:02 20-04-2013
  • jonsaan 20 Apr 2013 22:15:22 25,353 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not sure Sabbath could do anything but disappoint frankly.

I was listening to Heaven and Hell the other day. Great album IMO.

I think it's nice they are making new material though. If it pleases them, then that's good enough for me.

FCUTA!

• Page

of 292 First / Last