Exercise advice and weight loss Page 224

• Page

of 312 First / Last

• smoothpete 13 Feb 2013 18:33:45 31,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vest is OK IMO. Scoop neck t-shirt is not.
  • Psychotext 13 Feb 2013 18:35:18 54,301 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @pistol Wiggins is scary thin given his energy expenditure. I imagine if he didn't get his nutrition exactly right he'd start to have some problems with his body eating essential fat / organs.
  • fletch7100 13 Feb 2013 18:55:13 7,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Off topic but a good article

http://www.cracked.com/article_18477_the-5-most-badass-and-possibly-insane-athletes-all-time.html
  • CharlieStCloud 13 Feb 2013 18:55:58 5,219 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    I saw a dudebro at the gym the other day who was wearing a tilted Yankee cap. Some people.
    Me too!

He was obviously a well built person, but I have never ever seen him participating in a class, swimming in the swimming pool (duh!) or running on a treadmill ... he may well have a built body however, not somebody who is 'fit' as such.

Fitness surely is better!
  • pistol 13 Feb 2013 18:56:35 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    @pistol Wiggins is scary thin given his energy expenditure. I imagine if he didn't get his nutrition exactly right he'd start to have some problems with his body eating essential fat / organs.
    Yes, proper balancing act and he dropped a fair amount of kg before he started to perform well in the GT's. Drugs aside it's incredible how the climbers such as Schlecks etc still get lots of energy from the little bodyfat they have. As I've started being coached and lab tested I've learn't so much about how the body get's it's energy. You can teach it to do pretty much what you want with the right training.
  • mal 15 Feb 2013 01:40:31 22,605 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I picked up a couple of those Lidl kettlebells today - they had plenty of stock still towards the end of the day. They're just sand filled jobbies, so the weight part of them is larger than it is on more professional kit, which I guess is why they top out at 5kg. But they're still heavy enough to stress my arms after a few reps, which as primarily a cyclist, have fallen a fair way behind my legs.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Trane 19 Feb 2013 09:12:58 4,053 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Interesting article on squats.
  • Ultrasoundwave 19 Feb 2013 09:17:19 3,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What is with the sudden popularity surge in kettlebells?

I've used them before and they do a decent job, but now i see people signing up for 'Kettlebell classes' and everyone seems to be using them.

Do i need to go back to them?, do they have some sort of magical powers i'm not aware of?

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Trane 19 Feb 2013 09:26:46 4,053 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Conditioning fads tend to come and go, kettlebells, tabata, circuits, zumba, crossfit.

Now I'm not necessarily saying that KBs are 'just' a fad, but there does always seem to be something at the forefront of the conditioning game whilst others get forgotten about.

It depends what you want really, you'll have to put some serious work in if you want to build a decent physique with KBs - if you want to use them for conditioning, flexibility etc, they're a great tool.
  • Ultrasoundwave 19 Feb 2013 09:33:58 3,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Meh, not fussed on them. I'll stick to my cross-training / pumping iron combo!

• THFourteen 19 Feb 2013 09:41:26 33,604 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interesting views on the gloves debate on the previous page.

I've always worn gloves, i don't particularly want extremely calloused hands. Even through gloves i still have callouses.

I also (am sure this will bring lols) started strapping my wrists a couple of years ago, as the strength in my wrist wasn't enough to support the weight of the curls i was trying to do. I tried wrist strengthening exercises and it made little difference.

So it was either strap wrists, or dont give my biceps a proper workout.

Haven't tried lifting straps though, i think i need them for deadlift but not sure how they work. The bar is almost falling out of my hands at the end of a deadlift set when i'm sure i could actually lift a few more
  • Ultrasoundwave 19 Feb 2013 09:46:44 3,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Funny enough, i was using a tricep bar last night and i felt a weakness in my left wrist (kind of felt like a piece of elastic twanged in my wrist, very odd), so think i might have to start taping or using a support.

Curse my early teen years!

• sport 19 Feb 2013 09:52:47 12,758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Funny enough, i was using a tricep bar last night and i felt a weakness in my left wrist (kind of felt like a piece of elastic twanged in my wrist, very odd), so think i might have to start taping or using a support.

Don't worry, it'll strengthen when you reach your twenties.
  • smoothpete 19 Feb 2013 09:53:25 31,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I managed a mile of just front crawl in the pool yesterday. I will aim to get it done in under 30 minutes within the next few weeks. I know I can do it, I just need to get over the getting out of breath thing.
  • Ultrasoundwave 19 Feb 2013 09:54:45 3,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

Don't worry, it'll strengthen when you reach your thirties.
    Fixed.

:cry:

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 09:55:17 19-02-2013

• Trane 19 Feb 2013 09:55:39 4,053 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ThF: wrist wraps you mean I'm guessing? Yeah I use them when I'm pressing heavy.

As for Deadlifts, get some chalk bro. Regarding gloves, it's only me who's against them most likely. I have thick skin across the base of my fingers from years of training, but my hands are pretty soft aside from that.
  • Benno 19 Feb 2013 09:56:24 9,932 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

Haven't tried lifting straps though, i think i need them for deadlift but not sure how they work. The bar is almost falling out of my hands at the end of a deadlift set when i'm sure i could actually lift a few more
    That used to happen to me when my hands got a bit clammy. Do you use chalk?

If not, get some of this stuff, its like handwash but chalks your hands up really good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=liquid%20chalk&sprefix=liquid%2Bc%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aliquid%20chalk
  • glaeken 19 Feb 2013 09:59:27 11,197 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have to wear gloves for rowing. Even though my hands are quite tough I get blisters under my calluses. I don't find I need them for anything else though.

As for vest tops providing extra cooling I find my entire t-shirt is soaking wet anyway once I get above 30 minutes of cardio so that seems to provide plenty of cooling. By the time I get to 70 minutes there are small puddles forming under me wherever I go.

I did used to wear vest tops years ago but find my vanity levels have somewhat decreased. You do notice that most people who wear they are constantly taking sneaky looks at themselves in the mirror.

Edited by glaeken at 10:01:55 19-02-2013
  • senso-ji 19 Feb 2013 10:03:45 5,921 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I managed a mile of just front crawl in the pool yesterday. I will aim to get it done in under 30 minutes within the next few weeks. I know I can do it, I just need to get over the getting out of breath thing.
    I can do 1500m (just short of a mile) in 32 minutes for front crawl. This includes a few seconds rest between lengths after about 1000 m and no flip turning (can't do those if my life depended on them). My aim is to do 1500m in 25 minutes. The breathing rhythm is the hardest thing to keep constant.
  • fletch7100 19 Feb 2013 10:05:19 7,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well there are quite a few people in my local gym who go for the look good in vests rather than train hard approach. So I might wear a vest to show off my hairy shoulders and back, then show off my sweaty armpits as I do over head presses
  • THFourteen 19 Feb 2013 10:40:22 33,604 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chalk you say... might give that a try thanks guys.

I never wear vest tops, generally tracky b's or shorts in summer, and a selection of (clean) old tshirts which i only wear in the gym.
  • Benno 19 Feb 2013 10:54:05 9,932 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Do you kick your legs quite hard? Try not kicking at all (just a little bit to keep your body flat in the water) - kicking is quite inefficient when swimming crawl.
  • fletch7100 19 Feb 2013 10:58:14 7,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @THFourteen

A out your deadlifts is grip strength letting you down ?

http://www.andyboltonstrength.org/2011/05/27/the-truth-about-grip-training/
  • THFourteen 19 Feb 2013 10:59:50 33,604 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lol

Your request to view "www.andyboltonstrength.org" has been blocked under the Content Filtering Policy.

The site is currently categorised as: "Scam/Questionable/Illegal"

• fletch7100 19 Feb 2013 11:22:17 7,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    lol

Your request to view "www.andyboltonstrength.org" has been blocked under the Content Filtering Policy.

The site is currently categorised as: "Scam/Questionable/Illegal"

Just found the site via my phone

Or maybe you ain't strong enough to view this site ;)
  • craigy Staff 19 Feb 2013 14:41:01 7,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @glaeken rowing totally shredded my hands until I realised I was gripping too hard. Try relaxing your grip a touch, as it might make things more comfortable.
  • Page

of 312 First / Last