Exercise advice and weight loss Page 2

• Page

of 307 First / Last

• pistol 19 Jul 2007 14:53:52 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you're just starting out I wouldn't recommend any fancy exercises, just try anything aerobic that gets your heart rate up that you enjoy and can maintain.

As for diet, I wouldn't go mental to start off with, just look at what you're currently eating and drinking and cut down on your calories. Obviously I don't know what you eat at the moment but I would try and lower your carb intake a little, cut down on the booze and don't eat too much before bedtime. In an ideal world small meals and often are better.

• FiveManArmy 19 Jul 2007 14:54:46 506 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    If you're just starting out I wouldn't recommend any fancy exercises, just try anything aerobic that gets your heart rate up that you enjoy and can maintain.

As for diet, I wouldn't go mental to start off with, just look at what you're currently eating and drinking and cut down on your calories. Obviously I don't know what you eat at the moment but I would try and lower your carb intake a little, cut down on the booze and don't eat too much before bedtime. In an ideal world small meals and often are better.

+1

Some good advice there.
  • pistol 19 Jul 2007 14:54:46 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I've posted a lot of advice here in the past on weight loss, fitness etc. Not going through it all again!

Short answer. Go to Argos and get a set of free weights (bar and dumbells). Go to your local leisure center and do a short course on how to use them. Go get an exercise book (most weights come with them).

Stick to it for a long time. Job done.

Not the best advice tbh...as not everyone likes weight training, or gym environments. I do, but you get my point...
  • Machiavel 19 Jul 2007 14:55:43 5,964 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For what it's worth:

Forced myself to attend our local gym regularly - in my experience, the running machine was by far the best way to lose weight quickly. Steppers, rowing, weights seemed to do bugger all in shifting the middrift flab.

The crunch machine was the perfect compliment to toning up the stomach muscles (I hate and seemingly can't do sit ups), although I looked a bit like a pasty slab of meat until the weight dropped off.
  • pistol 19 Jul 2007 14:56:00 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JayPee wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    Frankly that's utter crap... just so you know. Shifting pounds is a simple case of raising your heart rate enough. Want to shift more, cycle faster or for longer.
    It is true that running generally burns more calories than cycling per hour, unless you are KILLING yourself (like in a spinning class) on the bike, and just jogging.

i would agree with that. My heart rate monitor always goes higher when I'm running than when I'm cycling, and I really do push it on both.
  • Psychotext 19 Jul 2007 14:56:25 53,984 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FiveManArmy wrote:
    Hmm not totally true. You burn the most fat at about 60% of your maximum heartrate, so going faster doesn't mean you are burning more fat.

Right about cycling over running though. It's low impact. You just need to go at a steady pace for long periods.
    You're correct. But the percentage differences aren't as much as people make out.

When you're dealing with an athlete at peak fitness then yeah you'd generally tailor very specific heart rates targets and periods of time at these heart rates. For joe bloggs like you or I it's generally something just to get the heart rate up, and keep it up for an amount of time that will do you benefit. For most people exercise is a case of burning more calories than they eat... which will of course over time reduce the amount of fat they are holding on to.

Shit, and there was me saying I wouldn't go through this all again.
  • Psychotext 19 Jul 2007 14:58:34 53,984 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Not the best advice tbh...as not everyone likes weight training, or gym environments. I do, but you get my point...
    I don't do the gym... it's generally full of idiots with far too many differing opinions.

But, if you want to use free weights (at home specifically) you should really have a trainer show you how to. I agree with what pistol said though, it's better to keep it simple to start with as if nothing else it's a lot easier to stick with. =)

Oh and pistol, if you want a higher heart rate when cycling, start doing hills which will easily push you to 95% hrm for short periods of time. That's why I love mountain biking, very varied.

Edited by Psychotext at 15:00:40 19-07-2007
  • glaeken 19 Jul 2007 15:02:37 11,144 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    I don't do the gym... it's generally full of idiots with far too many differing opinions.

It depends on the Gym. My local council Gym has top notch equipment and is normally full of OAP's.

In general with Gym's avoid any that are frequented by lots of young boys wearing vest tops.
  • cubbymoore 19 Jul 2007 15:06:04 36,488 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good place to score some anabolics though.
  • Psychotext 19 Jul 2007 15:07:50 53,984 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Good place to score some anabolics though.
    Result!
  • glaeken 19 Jul 2007 15:11:12 11,144 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes they are good place to score a drug that allows you to grow your own female nipples, get galloping acne and a stomach the same diameter as your chest.

So if you want to look like spotty barrel stomached transsexual they are good place to frequent.
  • Psychotext 19 Jul 2007 15:14:33 53,984 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    So if you want to look like spotty barrel stomached transsexual they are good place to frequent.
    Shit, I've been missing out all these years. =(
  • cubbymoore 19 Jul 2007 15:14:41 36,488 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I concur. I sometimes mix up my smack stash with my roid stash though, which makes for some very interesting work outs.
  • pistol 19 Jul 2007 15:15:10 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FiveManArmy wrote:
    pistol wrote:

+1

Some good advice there.

Thanks..I use to live and breath fitness, for years. Still do to a certain extent but not like I used to. Obviously it's not quite aerobic fitness but I spent a lot of my youth in bodybuilding where we were going to compete. Been all over the UK at various shows, including the Universe, and Olympia in Rimmini in italy. Have some mates who actually went quite far. A couple qualified for the Universe.

Not quite fitness but it taught me so much about how the body works and how it responds to exercise and diet. You wouldn't believe some of the daft routines and diet plans I've seen over the years. Some people just have no idea...

Edited by pistol at 15:20:58 19-07-2007
  • TwistidChimp 19 Jul 2007 15:17:38 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You cant really target weight loss, you just have to excersise and watch your diet, as you are doing, eventually as you loose the fat your upper body will also start to look more 'toned'. You can get further results by building your upper body a bit. As has been mentioned, Free weights properly used will have the desired effect if your willing to stick with it. But do make sure you get professional instruction on how to use them.
  • pistol 19 Jul 2007 15:17:57 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Machiavel wrote:
    For what it's worth:

Forced myself to attend our local gym regularly - in my experience, the running machine was by far the best way to lose weight quickly. Steppers, rowing, weights seemed to do bugger all in shifting the middrift flab.

The crunch machine was the perfect compliment to toning up the stomach muscles (I hate and seemingly can't do sit ups), although I looked a bit like a pasty slab of meat until the weight dropped off.

No stomach exercise in the world will tone the stomach if it's covered by a layer of fat. It will train the muscle underneath but you'll never see it, and if you are carrying a bit of weight, training the muscles can push them out so you look bloated. I would just concentate on aerobic & diet and get rid of the bodyfat. No harm in exercising the stomach in conjunction though.
  • JayPee 19 Jul 2007 15:18:49 1,490 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you like, the rowing machine (concept 2) is bloody good for fitness.

I'm pretty fit, and I find the 5-min 'warmup' I do on the rower kills me if I push it.

I would disagree generally with the advice on crunches, but only due to my body shape - when I was fatter, doing crunhes/situps etc made me look even fatter. Now I have lost 4 stone I realise why - my abdominals actually build up in a sort of mound in the middle of my chest - not spread out like some peoples.
    For me, I had to lose a significant amount of weight off my belly & haunches before doing core excerise actually benefitted my shape.

However, doing core exerise is very good for a lot of things, like balance, body control etc. Which is why freeweights are better than machine weights if you have that option (working the core in addition to the targetted mucsle group.

I'm just saying that doing crunches may not benefit you with a flatter stomach at first is all.
  • pistol 19 Jul 2007 15:19:41 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    pistol wrote:

But, if you want to use free weights (at home specifically) you should really have a trainer show you how to. I agree with what pistol said though, it's better to keep it simple to start with as if nothing else it's a lot easier to stick with. =)

Oh and pistol, if you want a higher heart rate when cycling, start doing hills which will easily push you to 95% hrm for short periods of time. That's why I love mountain biking, very varied.

Edited by Psychotext at 15:00:40 19-07-2007

Good point about the hills but I already do it. My regular training route in a combo of flats and hills (some are pretty nasty), plus I do the same on my tradmill. Run flat and incline.
  • JayPee 19 Jul 2007 15:26:16 1,490 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I recently did the London -> Brighton Bike Ride, and I am ashamed to say that I got off on the last (big) hill. :(

To be fair I was standing in for a friend and agreed to do it 4 days before the event and did no specific training beyond my normal gym (which had lapsed a bit at the time).

If you want to be fit, I find "random" programmes on gym machines are great - they really improve your recovery time.

Edited by JayPee at 15:26:53 19-07-2007
  • pistol 19 Jul 2007 15:30:32 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've recently added skipping to my routine and boy is it hard work. Obviously take a bit of practice but once you get quite good it's a bloody good exercise.

Highly recommended...
  • sport 19 Jul 2007 15:35:48 12,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I highly highly highly highly recommend crossfit.com.

I used to go to gym often but just got frustrated with space restrictions and muscle heads who thought that the bench press was the ONLY exercise that mattered.

I thought I was pretty fit but this program absolutely pwned me - but it's great fun, free and the site updates everyday with a new workout which you don't have to do in the gym (they offer substitutes for ones that do).

It's basically an all round conditioning program and since starting it about 4 months ago I have a semblence of 4-pack (the bottom 2 suckers are just being stubborn) and my general fitness is the best it's ever been. Check it out.
  • Psychotext 19 Jul 2007 15:36:59 53,984 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    I looked at that, looks like a great idea.
  • Grunk 19 Jul 2007 15:43:49 4,718 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also,

read more books.
    eat more spicy food.
  • JayPee 19 Jul 2007 15:50:56 1,490 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Pretty hardcore.
    21 handstand push-ups! Itch don't think so!

20 rounds of 5 pull-ups! Ahem!
  • ghearoid 19 Jul 2007 15:55:01 2,295 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    um, as someone who used to be on the large side and lost a quarter of my body weight, i did it by swimming five times a week and eating what i'd call wholefood

that meant i didn't diet as such, i could eat as much as i wanted in terms of quantity. but i could only natural foods, so no white sugar, no processed foods, no white bread etc. the weight pretty much dropped off without much drama

also, remember to always include essential fatty acids in your food: nuts, seeds, cold-pressed oils, oily fish etc. you'll find it very difficult to burn any fat away without your quota of essential fatty acids. that's why they're called essential

;op
  • sport 19 Jul 2007 16:03:24 12,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JayPee wrote:
    sport wrote:
    Pretty hardcore.
    21 handstand push-ups! Itch don't think so!

20 rounds of 5 pull-ups! Ahem!

I know - trust me - 4 months ago I could only do about 4 pull-ups in a row then I was stuffed.

But they offer great advice about how to get started eg. do jumping pullups, and don't start with full handstand push-ups - just put your feet up on a ledge so that your bodies in a L-shape and do them that way...

There's tons of advice and exercises and you don't need to be in a gym although owing a barbell and a few weights is advised
  • sport 19 Jul 2007 16:06:02 12,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    sport wrote:
    I looked at that, looks like a great idea.

keeps you pretty motivated as well. Everyday when the workout's posted they usually provide a video of the trainers or hardcore crossfitters doing that exact workout and to see them in action is pretty awesome - then you got the comments others leave about how well they did - gets you psyched
  • wobbler147 19 Jul 2007 16:06:14 5,138 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /homer on
    Gym, what's a gym? Oh....a gym.
    /homer off

/coat
  • Onny 19 Jul 2007 16:06:21 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Crossfit, eh?

/examines site closely

Last summer I went on a massive fitness regime to keep my mind off my absent girlfriend. I shed loads of weight and was in the best shape of my life. Since the end of August last year (when she returned) it's been a slow, gradual decline, and my belly is back with a vengeance.

I've been looking to get back into shape for my wedding (in mid september) and also because when you're uber-fit you tend to feel pretty awesome. But a combination of factors (get home late from work these days, and there's no decent martial arts club around here) have meant I've been slow to start.. so I might try this crossfit thing and see how I go.

Thanks for the link!
  • Psychotext 19 Jul 2007 16:09:18 53,984 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    Last summer I went on a massive fitness regime to keep my mind off my absent girlfriend. I shed loads of weight and was in the best shape of my life. Since the end of August last year (when she returned) it's been a slow, gradual decline, and my belly is back with a vengeance.
    That sounds horribly familiar... my missus came back and ruined my routine too.

They say they like us looking good, but I think secretly they fatten us up so we can't get another woman. =D
  • Page

of 307 First / Last