Boris for Mayor!! Page 25

• Page

of 26 First / Last

• disusedgenius 12 Sep 2012 17:37:40 5,614 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    he has the courage of his convictions.
    Hardly something which separates him from Ken though, apart from the side he falls on.
  • LeoliansBro 12 Sep 2012 17:40:10 44,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    he has the courage of his convictions.
    Hardly something which separates him from Ken though, apart from the side he falls on.
    Can't think of something ken has stood up for which is as profoundly unpalatable to the electorate as bankers.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• disusedgenius 12 Sep 2012 17:41:17 5,614 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Can't think of something ken has stood up for which is as profoundly unpalatable to the electorate as bankers.
    Shady South American communist dictators?
  • LeoliansBro 12 Sep 2012 17:42:14 44,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Shady South American communist dictators?
    Please.

Openly, and against the current, highly visible, public sentiment. If I must be specific.

• LeoliansBro 12 Sep 2012 17:43:43 44,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Plus Boris is probably for them anyway too. Just not in the case of these subsidies.

• Dougs 12 Sep 2012 17:44:05 69,498 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If I was being slightly controversial, I'd suggest minorities.
  • disusedgenius 12 Sep 2012 17:47:21 5,614 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Against that thing which has never really happened before (in Mayoral terms), you mean? He stood up for plenty of things the public didn't really like - from various Islamic groups to the congestion charge. Not to mention his past form on being something of a... principled politician.

fwiw I'd expect Ken to be slightly protective of the bankers if he was still Major as well

Edited by disusedgenius at 17:49:02 12-09-2012
  • Psychotext 12 Sep 2012 17:49:04 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Boris appeals to me because he stuck up for the financiers of London
    That's like applauding a US senator with a state full of tobacco companies. Don't be massively surprised when he stands up for their interests despite overwhelming public opinion in the other direction.

Boris isn't stupid (appearance to the contrary), he's not going to slaughter the golden goose.
  • LeoliansBro 12 Sep 2012 17:53:52 44,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The golden goose we all benefit from?

Dougs, not sure standing up for minorities is ever a move that would make you unpopular in the eyes of the electorate. I hope not, anyway.

• LeoliansBro 12 Sep 2012 17:54:17 44,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted

• Latin 12 Sep 2012 17:54:40 3,826 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like Boris and think that Liverpool quote was because he didn't have a fucking clue what he was talking about. He is a bumbling idiot at times and obviously a posh boy who had probably never been to Liverpool...

He did go and apologise (although was forced to), saying this:

"I have been stunned by the hurt this article has caused.

"I will be going as soon as I can next week to apologise in person for the offence I have caused, and to listen in a spirit of complete humility to local people."

Whether or not that was genuine is questionable... But as I said, i think he made these statements coz he had no clue about the place and the events, just basing it on stereotypes and misguided opinion.
  • LeoliansBro 12 Sep 2012 17:54:45 44,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

• Dougs 12 Sep 2012 18:55:01 69,498 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Dougs, not sure standing up for minorities is ever a move that would make you unpopular in the eyes of the electorate. I hope not, anyway.
    That's the thing though, the majority of those that actually vote are generally a little right wing of Ghengis Khan. Accepted, that's probably not the case with London voters. But more than once I heard the old fuckers with their nice big houses and land bemoan Ken for championing for minorities and cash shouldn't be spent supporting them. All anecdotal, of course.
  • RyanDS 12 Sep 2012 19:14:23 9,833 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Latin wrote:
    I like Boris and think that Liverpool quote was because he didn't have a fucking clue what he was talking about. He is a bumbling idiot at times and obviously a posh boy who had probably never been to Liverpool...

He did go and apologise (although was forced to), saying this:

"I have been stunned by the hurt this article has caused.

"I will be going as soon as I can next week to apologise in person for the offence I have caused, and to listen in a spirit of complete humility to local people."

Whether or not that was genuine is questionable... But as I said, i think he made these statements coz he had no clue about the place and the events, just basing it on stereotypes and misguided opinion.
    As I said before. he is most certainly not a bumbling idiot. Which is what annoys me. Such a good PR scheme. Pretend to be bumbling and get away with anything.
  • President_Weasel 12 Sep 2012 20:20:32 9,657 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He's really not that bright though. He's an overprivileged, underinformed, eton-and-oxbridge twerp pretending to be a canny, competent politician pretending to be a likeable bumbling buffoon.
  • FWB 12 Sep 2012 20:30:35 45,580 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Doesn't matter whether he is an idiot or not. The PR works and those around him do his work anyway.
  • LetsGo 12 Sep 2012 20:41:02 5,450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But whatever you say about him, and you can say a lot about him, he has done a good job in managing London during its most difficult post-war period?
  • FWB 12 Sep 2012 20:48:13 45,580 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I prefer him to Ken. Ken is a seedy, corrupt little man. Some dodgy links and a huge about of wasted resources - Ken rags and cash thrown about on perks for those at city hall.
  • LetsGo 12 Sep 2012 20:51:37 5,450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Agreed. The amount of money Ken spent in City Hall was scandalous really.
  • RedSparrows 12 Sep 2012 20:54:59 24,222 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Boris recently employed the old ES editor, a good chum, on an obscene contract. They all do it, sadly.
  • LetsGo 12 Sep 2012 21:00:14 5,450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And Ken set up a separate company for his media commitments so he would pay less tax.
  • disusedgenius 12 Sep 2012 21:04:27 5,614 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, well my favoured politician OWNS the Cayman Islands AND can beat up your favoured politician .
  • LetsGo 12 Sep 2012 21:32:11 5,450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AND paid for by the tax payer by any chance? ;)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 13 Sep 2012 08:45:11 39,758 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He's still very much not welcome in Liverpool.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 13 September 2012 11:14:13
    Breaking news on the Beeb that he's made a grovelling apology. Not an article yet, just on the ticker.
  • LeoliansBro 13 Sep 2012 11:36:23 44,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He made a grovelling apology at the time as well.

• disusedgenius 13 Sep 2012 11:41:02 5,614 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It was mentioned in the main article:

The Mayor of London Boris Johnson has apologised for an article he wrote in 2004 in which he said Liverpool fans were partly to blame for the Hillsborough disaster.

"I was very, very sorry in 2004 that the Spectator did carry an editorial that partially repeated those allegations - I apologised then and I apologise now," he said.
    I'd hardly call it grovelling, more of an affirmation of previous grovelling.
  • MetalDog 13 Sep 2012 12:01:22 23,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Boris doing a good job, is he?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 13 September 2012 12:30:28
    Also, ironically, technical competence isn't the main reason why I wouldn't like to see him as PM.

Tbh I think he portrays an image that reminds me of old Empire Britain, preachy and arrogant, and to be fair, I don't want this perception to represent us internationally.
  • Moot_Point 25 Feb 2013 16:31:11 4,607 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago

What a dickhead. He remembered to pick up his school satchel though.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Page

of 26 First / Last