Gaming apathy (or just getting bored with it all). Page 4

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• docrob 4 Sep 2010 18:01:21 289 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Vyggo wrote:And seriously, I really don't think people are being honest when they say they only have 15 minutes a day to play games due to their busy schedule. I really pitty you then, I have a full time job, 3 kids and I recently immigrated to another country. I still find plenty of time to play a game almost every day.

I also have a full time job and 2 kids (plus a wife who is not into games at all). The trouble I have is that although I can find time to play if I really want to, the time I find is usually late at night when the wife has gone to bed. At which point I'm usually too tired to start anything complicated. And all my favourite games are complicated!

I usually play on days off when the kids aren't home. But then many things get left to my days off, so I end up doing something else instead...

Thing is, because I don't have the quality time to play that often, I don't easily catch gaming apathy and I rarely finish anything. Meaning that I end up amassing large piles of games I don't have time to play properly. But never mind, there's a pride in ownership and I've decided I'm OK with it.
  • Syrette 4 Sep 2010 20:26:34 43,588 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Going through a bit of an apathetic stage myself right now.

Fully down to working so much recently, a few days off (only got tomorrow) will put it right. Most of my work is in the industry too so I'm rarely desperate to get on a game at home after working on one or more for 8 hours+ a day.

Kind of feels weird having time off nowadays, anyone get that horrible feeling where they feel uncomfortable if they're not working as they're so used to doing so?

Got Mafia 2 the other day and haven't touched it and I've not completely a single playthrough of Case Zero yet either. Terrible form...

• Deleted user 4 September 2010 20:26:48
    Unemployment, or downtime if you're a student (or both!) can mean what you once did for fun in your sparetime can lose some of its appeal.

danathjo wrote:
    What's helped me lately is selling all the games which I can't see myself playing again, but actually being really ruthless with it.

I don't feel as much pressure to play 'everything' any more and bringing it back to simpler times to fully appreciate a smaller pile instead of feeling all 'okay, I need to just get through and finish this, then start that one, then get back to this one and actually finish it' etc. To much of a chore with all the pressure to finish everything.

Just my 2 cents

edit: or what several people have already said
    /shrug

It might have been said before in the thread but it was a welcome post as you hit the nail on the head. My pile of games built up for a reason and the pile itself is a part of the problem. You can get stuck thinking, "I need to play this," rather than what you enjoy.

Case in point for me being revisiting TR Legend for the first time in years. I start off being interested again, goosebumps at the prospect of a new 3D platforming game with Lara but soon remembered why I stopped playing.

But soon as a I find a game with an original feel and identity of its own I'm right back into gaming, some of which are in my backlog. Its just a case of digging them out among the ones I will no longer enjoy due to changes in my gaming taste that is the problem.

Need to take your advice and lose some of them, starting with games that have padding for skint teens, like rpgs.
  • Captain_Peach 4 Sep 2010 20:28:26 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fröd wrote:
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    My trouble is that I never complete games. I just play them until something better comes along but no more.

Also I'm never buying a really long game again. 10-12 hours is the perfect length for a game IMO.

absolutely no such thing. Entirely, entirely, entirely depends on the gameplay.
  • Vyggo 4 Sep 2010 21:37:10 445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    Vyggo wrote:And seriously, I really don't think people are being honest when they say they only have 15 minutes a day to play games due to their busy schedule. I really pitty you then, I have a full time job, 3 kids and I recently immigrated to another country. I still find plenty of time to play a game almost every day.

I also have a full time job and 2 kids (plus a wife who is not into games at all). The trouble I have is that although I can find time to play if I really want to, the time I find is usually late at night when the wife has gone to bed. At which point I'm usually too tired to start anything complicated. And all my favourite games are complicated!

I usually play on days off when the kids aren't home. But then many things get left to my days off, so I end up doing something else instead...

Thing is, because I don't have the quality time to play that often, I don't easily catch gaming apathy and I rarely finish anything. Meaning that I end up amassing large piles of games I don't have time to play properly. But never mind, there's a pride in ownership and I've decided I'm OK with it.

I mostly play my console when the kids are to bed and can usually get at least an hour or two in if I want, and I usually get a little PC gaming in on my laptop when the kids are awake in the weekends. I also do the occasional game with the kids (lego games, kung fu panda, sonic racing).

• Mark1412 4 Sep 2010 21:41:50 549 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Moral of the story? Don't have kids.

• LionheartDJH 4 Sep 2010 21:46:41 19,484 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    fröd wrote:
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    My trouble is that I never complete games. I just play them until something better comes along but no more.

Also I'm never buying a really long game again. 10-12 hours is the perfect length for a game IMO.

absolutely no such thing. Entirely, entirely, entirely depends on the gameplay.

This. I sort of see where you're coming from Peach, but some games are suited to longer lengths, RPG's and open world games like GTA being prime examples. As an epic story is really part and parcel of an RPG they need to have that length to give you a massive journey to take part in, levelling and constantly improving as you go on. And of course you're leaving out games that are open and don't have beginnings and endings, like sports games and multiplayer things like COD and BF.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Vyggo 4 Sep 2010 21:48:13 445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    On the contrary, it's great against apathy as you can't play games all day every day. A hobby (everything?) is at it's best when you feel wanting more.

(this is a reply to the don't have kids statement)
  • makeamazing 4 Sep 2010 21:50:11 425 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nah, kids are great, especially when they are old enough to play certain games to help you get a trophy :D

I do get bored of games sometimes, thats why i take a break and watch a tv series instead for a week or so. There is no doubt that i dont get as excited about games as i did in the olden days... going out to the shops to get X-com or Lord of the Realms... ah those were the days.

But i still get excited about games, i just think sometimes you need to take a little break from it and try not to play for hours on end.
  • Captain_Peach 4 Sep 2010 21:50:25 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fröd wrote:
    but it's just silly to say that. You just ruled out some of the greatest games ever.

I suppose so but the thing is I would never really have time to complete them and I would most likely get bored of playing them after about 20 hours maximum.

If the game really appealed to me and I really enjoyed it then I'm sure I would keep going but thats only happened like 10 times in around 15 years of gaming.
  • LionheartDJH 4 Sep 2010 21:58:56 19,484 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Vyggo wrote:
    On the contrary, it's great against apathy as you can't play games all day every day. A hobby (everything?) is at it's best when you feel wanting more.

(this is a reply to the don't have kids statement)

I agree. As Vertical Stand mentioned if you have tonnes of free time (I am a student and unemployed...go me) then it can get a bit mundane. I enjoy playing games more during term time as I don't have as much time on my hands, with lectures and essays, and of course the very occasional social stuff to do. I've hit a bit of a lull myself as I bought a few games at the start of summer, and then one or two more throughout, but I've either completed them (Alan Wake, RDR) or offloaded them because they weren't that great (Flashpoint: DR). Only really playing FM to any great extent at the moment. I'm just generally a bit bored of what I've got and there's not all that much out there right now that I want to buy at the moment.

Waiting for Deadly Premonition and F1 this month to give me some fresh games to have a go at, and then the inevitable updates to my two biggest gaming timesinks, PES and FM, which I should have next month. That combined with returning to uni will probably have me more motivated for games again.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Mark1412 5 Sep 2010 11:36:28 549 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wasn't being deadly serious about the kids thing!

• Deleted user 5 September 2010 12:41:52
    I've a weird apathy. A lot of games I've played this year, start to finish - Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption - have all been enjoyable while I've been playing them, but upon completion have left me feeling hollow. None of them seemed to have truly memorable moments, despite being technically superb in most cases. I can't imagine I'll look back on any of them with great fondness a few years from now.

Just went back to Metal Gear 4, and it just seems to have so much more character and personality than everything else I've played over the last year or so.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2010 12:48:13
    Wow MattDamon, that's how i'm feeling exactly, although i'm loving that Vanquish demo and just recently got Batman AA and couldn't put it down last night 'till gone three AM.

It's the first time in thirty years of gaming i've felt this way but I hope it passes, it's the only hobby that's ever stuck. Is fickle I am.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2010 13:30:34
    30 year gamer here too Xrusty. It's a strange lull. I even felt it with Mario Galaxy 2. I think that's a technically better game than it's predecessor, but all the time playing it, I just didn't feel as charmed by the second one as I did the first.

I'll throw Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, and Modern Warfare 2 in there too.

Had a great time playing all of those titles, but I can't ever see me going back through any of them.

Now in comparison, I played through Final Fantasy VII twice on PSP last summer, played through Resident Evil 4 at least six times on Gamecube, Metal Gear 3 at least four times, and I've lost count of how many times I've been through the likes of Mario World, Link To The Past, Nights, Shenmue to name a few.

I'd play the PS2 PES titles all year round, FIFA 10/PES2010, got both, and barely touched after the first week or two.

I don't know if it's a case of being spoiled for choice now, overfamiliarity with the medium, or if the increased polish is eradicating the inherent charm. Perhaps a deadly combination of all three.

Whatever is it, I'm definitely not getting the same vibe from recent titles.
  • Pastici 5 Sep 2010 14:15:10 450 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It would appear you have more of an affinity to Japanese games!
  • Deleted user 5 September 2010 14:21:27
    My problem is that when games hit the £20 mark in the sales something goes off in my head and I have to buy them. Hence why i have a massive pile of games unfinished and unstarted.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2010 15:18:55
    I can see how that comes across in my post Pastici, and I certainly do have an affinity to Japanese games, but it's not merely a cultural thing. Portal, Gears of War and the first Modern Warfare are all games I've played through more than once this gen. And they are games I might go back to again at some point.
  • whoyouknow 5 Sep 2010 15:32:36 163 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was big into it from the ages of about 6-16 - I'm 22 now and it's only just now in the last year and a bit that I've gotten back into it. I bought a 360 ages ago but wasn't really "into" it. But these phases come and go and I'm probably more into it now than I've ever been.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2010 16:38:56
    I think it could boil down to too many distractions what with the Xbox and PS3 being Internet enabled straight out of the box and both being multimedia centres. Or maybe i'm grasping at straws and i've not got the passion and excitement anymore (the flame has been extinguished). it better not have, as I love gaming, it could be over exposure, I don't know.

Hope the spark comes back :(
  • NunianVonFuch 5 Sep 2010 17:14:42 87 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I get this from time to time as well, I think it's more to do with being fed up of doing the same thing over and over again. Anything original and I'll play it through to the end maybe more than once, but sequels that aren't innovative? Once through (or til I get bored) then flog 'em!

@MattDamon Portal, Gears and Modern Warfare 1 are great examples of this. Gameplay was fresh and new so it remained interesting to play through a few times. Mario Galaxy 2, Bioshock 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Call of Duty, Crackdown 2, No More Heroes 2, each of these felt like more of the same when I played them so they quickly became a chore.

Bayonetta, Limbo, Braid, Demon's Souls, Split/Second, Batman: AA and probably a few others are the more original and fun games I've played this gen so playing them feels fresh. Plus I was disappointed when I reached the end rather than relieved as is the norm! :)
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 00:39:52
    Yeah, originality is important. But going back for a second or third time to such a game, well, the originality isn't such a factor then. There just seems to be an x-factor missing in recent months.
  • Pastici 6 Sep 2010 00:42:46 450 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's just started on TV so you're in luck!

/badjokethatwroteitself
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 00:54:32
    I'm not in the UK Pastici, thankfully :)
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 00:57:38
    MattDamon wrote:
    Hey what's wrong with the UK.

/racist :)
  • MiniAmin 6 Sep 2010 01:02:30 3,413 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    XrustynutsX wrote:
    MattDamon wrote:

He's MattDamon, he could be anywhere at any given time.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 01:09:06
    XrustynutsX wrote:
    MattDamon wrote:

The fact X-Factor is on is what's wrong :)

And this

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/thousands-more-forced-out-by-jamie-oliver's-face-20070823361/
  • Page

of 6 First / Last