Ghostface fish scale is epic.
  • smoothpete 9 Jan 2013 15:13:27 31,826 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GZA - "Labels" is one of my favourite Wu tracks
  • smoothpete 9 Jan 2013 15:14:37 31,826 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That "Memory Man" Raekwon album is worth downloading (free I believe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nk9HwRkLx8
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 15:18:02
    OK, all bitching at each other aside, the Loxx started out super commercial and RnB style.

All of their early stuff was hugely radio friendly and soft. They were on Puffy songs, Mase, Mariah Carey, J-Lo etc. OK, they've gone "hardcore" since then but you can't really escape roots like that.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 15:34:44
    I know you winding me up so it is cool. The lox pre signing with bad boy was hardcore. They signed to bb and we're trapped in a contract to release those singles. Hence 'free the lox campaign in nyc', puff eventually released them to RR and everything returned to normal. So yeah they got conned into releasing several tracks to try satisfy puff but everything else they done is tough.

I'm sure you understand the seriousness of not meeting a contract. The fact lox haven't released an album for years is due to legal entanglements. Looks like that nearly finished though and swixx beatz and dj khaled stated they looking to make the project happen soon.

Ready to die is the same, amazing debut with a full commercial tracks thrown in by puff. Life after death even better example. Half of it was biggie, ten crack commandments etc and the other half was puff pulling the strings. I don't agree with it but puff got results. Biggie multiple platinum and even lox was platinum.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 15:42:57
    Yeah, I dunno. I think we're coming at the same thing from different angles or something. All the Ruff Ryders stuff like DMX and whatever was quite commercial imo. I never even really liked Jaz-Z apart from really early on.

In some ways the way you talk about MTV hip hop now, is how I felt about it then. Perhaps it's just a perspective thing.
  • Kay 9 Jan 2013 15:47:07 17,969 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually, would people class 8 Diagrams as a commercial radio-friendly album (in the same vein as DMX, Ruff Ryders etc. back in the 90s)? Because I thought a lot of it was.

Edited by Kay at 15:48:07 09-01-2013
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 15:48:14
    I'd describe it as a shit album :)

I'm not sure if it was intentionally more radio friendly, but whatever RZA was trying to do it came out a lot softer yeah.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 15:50:34
    Dmx? Ffs :)

Dmx first ever single, get at me dog, was a radio hit. Now to me that doesn't make it commercial shit. I means back then there was a desire for hard rap.

If dmx was a new artist and released get at my dog now it wouldn't get played as it is way to hard for today. The radio would be too busy with flo Rida and lil Wayne.

The lyrics from get at me dog and greedy are hard. The whole of its dark and hell is hot is dark. The only commercial joint was ruff rider anthem which was still hard lyrically.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 15:55:54
    Yeah, I know. This is what I mean by us talking at cross purposes. We're saying the same thing but from different angles.

In the late 90s stuff like Ja Rule, DMX, Timberland, Cam'Ron and all that was big commercially and yeah, it probably was "hard" or "tough" or whatever but it was wasn't what I would have called the "hardcore" hip hop from that era. Again, it was all really commercia.

The underground stuff was coming from Rawkus or Stones Throw or whatever, and was probably a lot less "hard" lyrically, but was also far less commercially minded (and much much better imho, but that's not really the point).
  • Dougs 9 Jan 2013 15:56:04 69,508 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have no idea what any of you are talking about.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 15:58:31
    Now jay z in a way is commercial but he admits his singles are but the albums are not as much.

For those that think Hov' fingers bling bling'n
    Either haven't heard the album or they don't know English
    They only know what the single is, and singled that out To be the meaning of what he is about
    And being I'm about my business, not mingling much Running my mouth, that shit kept lingering
    But no dummy, that's the shit I'm sprinkling The album width to keep the registers ringing In real life, I'm much more distinguished
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 15:59:28
    So yeah, I see Flo Rida as the same kind of thing as that stuff. It may not be to your taste, but it's all commercial mainstream hip hop which has mostly been shit (again imo) ever since the real money came along. '96 or so was probably the last really good year (again imo) for full on mainstream hip hop.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 16:03:51
    I can't believe Deckard hasn't called everyone wiggas yet.
  • Alastair 9 Jan 2013 16:06:45 16,406 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I have no idea what any of you are talking about.
    Me too.
    Although I do like the Beastie Boys - do they count as hippety hop?
  • Dougs 9 Jan 2013 16:07:07 69,508 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OOooh, I heard of that one! Desperately hoping Chamakh does well, purely for the headlines...
  • mrpon 9 Jan 2013 16:08:14 29,566 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jedward are hiphop guys aren't they?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 16:10:34
    kalel wrote:
    So yeah, I see Flo Rida as the same kind of thing as that stuff. It may not be to your taste, but it's all commercial mainstream hip hop which has mostly been shit (again imo) ever since the real money came along. '96 or so was probably the last really good year (again imo) for full on mainstream hip hop.
    You are confusing commercial music and music that sells.

Flo Rida, one direction, Leona lewis are co mmercial. They are made solely to sell at a mass market with little concern for real content.

Dmx dark and he'll is hot and many others are albums that are hardcore but have enough quality to transcend the normal barriers and shift 5 million albums. Dmx didn't write greedy thinking about being popular to white America.
    Nwa, public enemy etc all sold loads but were never commercial.
  • Kay 9 Jan 2013 16:12:53 17,969 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To be honest, every major act has been commercial at some point in their careers. Biggie, Nas, Jay-Z - all supremely gifted rappers, ranked amongst the greatest of all time, yet still extremely commercial.

The supposedly "hard" stuff - rappers posturing about guns and violence - has never been considered hardcore or underground tbh, I don't know why anyone would think that. If anything it's the opposite - conscious rap (as much as I hate that term) was considered more underground back in the 90s.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 16:20:40
    For example one of my favourite rappers is scarface. He no different to dmx and other hard rappers, the main difference is he never sold loads. Now in your eyes that would make him non commercial but he is no less commercial than dmx.

People like Talib kweli would be called non commercial etc but he released plenty of want to be commercial songs but never sold large. If the beautiful struggle took off with its k west and Neptunes produced beats would you then label him a commercial rapper?
  • imamazed 9 Jan 2013 16:23:11 5,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think this debate has lost focus
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 16:23:28 61,308 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I accidentally dragged a load of getto boys songs into the work spotify playlist rather than my personal one.

Hilarity ensued.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 16:27:22
    Oh I like nas, incredibly diverse. He can do commercial, I am,
    gangster, thieves theme,
    concious, worlds an addiction
    or just straight up perfection , ny state of mind, made you look.

Oh and bridging the gap with his dad. Yes, just yes.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 16:28:15
    nickthegun wrote:
    I accidentally dragged a load of getto boys songs into the work spotify playlist rather than my personal one.

Hilarity ensued.
    Brilliant. :)

Edited by Pepsipop at 16:28:35 09-01-2013
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 16:29:22 61,308 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Never been a fan of Nas. I find him to be somewhat boring.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 16:31:56
    @Deckard1 yesterday in town.

Edited by HairyArse at 16:32:40 09-01-2013
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 16:32:21
    nickthegun wrote:
    Never been a fan of Nas. I find him to be somewhat boring.
    Understandable.

He has release several terrible albums, actually most of his albums on a whole have too many week tracks on.

Only illmatic and life is good are brilliant from start to finish.

I think if I pulled out three of the best tracks from most of his albums that would make my favourite cd possible by one rapper.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 16:33:32
    Like gods son, made you look one of my favourite tracks ever yet there are six terrible songs on the lp. That doesn't make for a good album.
  • Page

of 157 First / Last