Band of brothers Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Penguinzoot 29 Jan 2007 17:46:57 496 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For me, one of the best bits from this series was the snippets they included from interviews with the real men portrayed in the series. Gave the series a rare humanity.

Especially those two guys who revisited Foy years later.

I was struck by a quote attributed to Eisenhower from another of Ambroses books. Can't remember the exact words, but I believe Eisenhower was asked to justify his decision to send primarily raw (but well-trained) new recruits on the D-day landings.

Eisenhowers response was (paraphrasing, can't remember the exact words):

"If we sent veterans (say from Italy or North Africa), there is every chance that they would take one look at what they were up against, say f**k you, and turn tail - because they would know what it meant if they carried on. Newbies wouldn't know any different, wouldn't recognise the impossible odds stacked against them and would carry on regardless."

A chilling, but probably realistic and difficult decision for the Allied Supreme Commander to make.
  • cheese001 29 Jan 2007 17:48:06 813 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think I have watched this box set now about 4 times. I leave it a few months and watch them through a weekend when I am bored.

Its one the few, if only, TV shows which is so emotional. You feel you are part of the unit by the end and the final episode is touching.

Edited by cheese001 at 17:48:36 29-01-2007
  • essential 29 Jan 2007 17:50:40 666 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Band of brothers has to be the best.

Whilst in HMV I came across a film that was described on the case as 'Band of brothers meets the longest day', hmmm.

5 got me this, Saints and soldiers

Nice cinematography, stereotypical characters (the downed British pilot is unbelievable) not that much action until the last twenty minutes. I hated it to begin with but quite liked it by the end, quite liked only mind.
  • Donny 5 Feb 2007 17:44:19 1,491 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lt. Rice: Panzer divisions about to cut the road south, looks like you guys are going to be surronded.

Cpt. Winters: We're paratroopers Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surronded.

Best war film/series I have ever seen. I must watch it once every 6 months and everytime I love it. Another thing that made me realise how good it is. Everytime I see one of the actors in it in another film or programme I instantly go "Hay there's Cpt. Nixon from Band of Brothers". Really hope they do another war drama like this.
  • matrim83 6 Feb 2007 06:23:03 5,597 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bought the book too. Its not that bad so far (the book). Although I am using it as a side dish to the series, i.e. watch an episode, read about it in the book kinda thing.

Valar morghulis.

• smoothpete 6 Feb 2007 09:20:37 31,824 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really love this series. Try watching it near to Rememberance Day and not then buying a poppy. If you don't you have no heart. Seeing it like that from a very human perspective and with as much realism as I can handle really brings it home how much the world owes those guys.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 25 Mar 2008 09:18:35 12,752 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Man, I want to watch that series all over again now. First time I watched this was on my laptop. Should watch it again in all it's projector glory

Heh, finally started watching this again last night. I'd forgotten how sharp it looked, even in standard def (but upscaled). It sounds great, the second episode, in which the hundreds of planes leave for Operation Overlord, sounds awesome, you can almost feel every shake of the plane.

It's a master touch having some of the real veterans talk about their experiences beforehand. Some of the stuff that happened to them is amazing (like a grenade blowing up twice in front the same guy and surviving)
  • repairmanjack 25 Mar 2008 09:22:13 6,078 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ooh, good bump. I was bought the first series on DVD for Xmas, and I still haven't got around to putting it on. Never saw it when it was on TV.
  • warlockuk 25 Mar 2008 09:34:00 19,223 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I watched it for the first time last month and was really impressed by it. Awesome series. Definitely gets you in the right places at times, too. I wonder if anyone'd ever make / has made a similar series about Korea...

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• BravoGolf Moderator 25 Mar 2008 09:35:19 12,752 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WOPR wrote:
    One of the best series ever made, I seem to watch it every 6 months or so. Haven't started the book yet but it's on the shelf.

I'm looking forward to the extra DVD with the interviews, never did get round to it before. Is there much on it? Not interested in boring makings of, more into the actual history and recollections
  • TheSaint 25 Mar 2008 09:40:03 14,827 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I read recently that HBO and the team who made Band Of Brothers are in the process of filming a new series about the war in the pacific.

I love the series and my house is actually on the land where it was all filmed. The huge hanger they used to film all the snow episodes is now a posh gym. :(
  • TheSaint 25 Mar 2008 09:47:25 14,827 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Pacific
  • Universal_Hamster 27 Mar 2008 22:52:36 4,948 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm just after finishing watching this again for the umpteenth time, and I'm not ashamed to admit I'm crying my eyes out. It's the talking heads at the very end, (and especially what Dick Winters says) that gets me every time.

I want to give them all a hug.
  • HarryB 27 Mar 2008 23:42:10 6,337 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    this is the reason why I have tinnitus
  • trotskyicepick 28 Mar 2008 00:28:35 369 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    is any of the boxed sets for this going cheap anywhere atm?
  • El_MUERkO 28 Mar 2008 00:44:22 17,144 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Universal Hamster wrote:
    I'm just after finishing watching this again for the umpteenth time, and I'm not ashamed to admit I'm crying my eyes out. It's the talking heads at the very end, (and especially what Dick Winters says) that gets me every time.

I want to give them all a hug.

the bit in switzerland after the war is just ... uncomfortable

great show, don't have the urge to watch it again thou
  • X201 28 Mar 2008 09:30:58 15,735 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love the line when they bump into the David Schwimmer character again.

"we salute the rank not the man"

• dr_swin 28 Mar 2008 09:40:47 4,914 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I recently re-watched this again. absolutely amazing quality production and stellar cast. Loads of names in there that have gone on to establish themselves in their own right. did any of you spot tom hanks' son in last patrol? He looks amazingly like his dad.
    I found the concentration camp episode really affecting. I think it was called why we fight.
  • Trowel 8 May 2008 23:00:53 18,054 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    I found the concentration camp episode really affecting. I think it was called why we fight.
    Universal Hamster wrote:
    Just finished watching this over three days - first time I've seen it since the original airing.

Finished tonight with the final two episodes. I now know the true feeling of the emotion "choked".

Was going to type pretty much what was said above; no need reallly.

Blimey.
  • Deleted user 8 May 2008 23:02:29
    Have got this on DVD never got passed the 3rd episode. Not because I didn't like it just never found the time. Going on various comments will try and find the time.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 12 Nov 2008 13:16:22 12,752 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone seen the blu-ray set, out yesterday? Would buy it again if it the HD audio and video is awesome.
  • shamblemonkee 12 Nov 2008 14:12:41 14,653 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    best.series.ever.

i defy anyone who watches it not ot have a fresh perspective on what previous generations did.
  • HardToast 12 Nov 2008 14:52:10 383 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Back on BBC 2 by the way, every evening it seems 23:20-24:20.
  • MrSensible 12 Nov 2008 14:55:26 25,365 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Never seen it tbh. I think I have it all on DVD somewhere mind.
  • TechnoHippy 12 Nov 2008 15:04:35 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seen it before, but I spotted the series in HMV for only 20, so I picked it up and will re-watch it soon.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• askew 12 Nov 2008 15:11:26 12,714 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I read recently that HBO and the team who made Band Of Brothers are in the process of filming a new series about the war in the pacific.

I love the series and my house is actually on the land where it was all filmed. The huge hanger they used to film all the snow episodes is now a posh gym. :(

That's not Hatfield is it?
  • TheSaint 12 Nov 2008 15:11:58 14,827 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure if I have mentioned this before but if you click the link below on google maps you can see all the sets from when they were filming. When I used to get the bus to uni I would pass by it every day.

Link
  • TheSaint 12 Nov 2008 15:12:29 14,827 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    askew wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:

That's not Hatfield is it?

Yeah.
  • askew 12 Nov 2008 15:13:26 12,714 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow, what a playground!

I thought I recognised the description of the massive hangar becoming a gym because my uncle lives just opposite them :o
  • Page

of 5 First / Last