Lo-Fi/indie folk/ whatever music recommendations Page 7

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 11 July 2014 14:48:33
    Even Angels of Light had some bloody bleak lyrics. For every Evangeline, a Song for Nico.
  • Tom_Servo 14 Sep 2014 16:55:49 18,082 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Listening to John Fahey for the first time after listening to guys like Bill Orcutt and William Tyler recently. Man, so good.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Sep 2014 18:01:46 36,602 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Listening to John Fahey for the first time after listening to guys like Bill Orcutt and William Tyler recently. Man, so good.
    Nice - do you know Marisa Anderson (should be on Bandcamp) and Glenn Jones?

The track Alcouer Gardens breaks my heart. :-)
  • Tom_Servo 14 Sep 2014 18:08:20 18,082 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nope, I'll check 'em both out. What would you recommend from them?

I actually didn't really like the Orcutt record I listened to, found his playing a bit too 'free'.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Sep 2014 19:11:01 36,602 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    From Glenn Jones, I'd recommend My Garden State.

https://marisaanderson.bandcamp.com/album/mercury - track 14 is particularly lovely
  • Dougs 4 Nov 2014 11:40:50 72,959 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't know if they qualify for this thread, but I am bang into The Rails at the moment. Country/Folk duo, really lovely.
  • BillMurray 7 Nov 2014 19:31:34 8,311 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago

Catchy-indie chaps Elk have just done this video. The opening shot of the tapes with names of local bands I grew up watching was most pleasurable for me.
  • BillMurray 15 Nov 2014 22:29:01 8,311 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago

Just recently got this guy's LP through the post and it's amazing.

Would recommend giving it a spin on Spotify.
  • Tom_Servo 17 Nov 2014 11:57:52 18,082 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Alex G album is good, yeah. All the Orchid Tapes stuff can be downloaded for free from their Bandcamp, so there really is no excuse! All their stuff I've heard is quality, like the new Foxes in Fiction album.
  • BillMurray 1 Mar 2015 08:29:06 8,311 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tom_Servo Just realised this morning that he's touring in the UK this week. Closest to me is Manchester on a Thursday and i'm frantically thinking of ways I can get the Friday morning off work so I can go.

Edit* Even better, just realised he's playing at the Brudenell in Leeds so i Guess i'll be going there.

Edited by BillMurray at 08:38:51 01-03-2015
  • TheBlackDog 2 Mar 2015 09:35:02 667 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Discovered an interesting lo-fi artist called Chinawoman. I'm often looking for female artists when I want a change from the masses of bloke singers and even though I have a fair few, I struggle sometimes to find stuff.

At the same time I just found out about Scout Niblett, and the lazy comparisons to a lo-fi Cat Power and Pj Harvey sound about right on first listen, which is right up my street. She also haso an album featuring Bonnie Prince Billie on 4 tracks.
  • Deleted user 2 March 2015 11:03:16
    TheBlackDog wrote:
    Discovered an interesting lo-fi artist called Chinawoman. I'm often looking for female artists when I want a change from the masses of bloke singers and even though I have a fair few, I struggle sometimes to find stuff.
    here's a few that you might dig:
    - angel olsen
    - Sharon Van Etten
    - Nadine Shah
    - julia holter
    - mitski

Edited by bobomb at 11:03:36 02-03-2015
  • Mekanik 4 Mar 2015 16:56:13 3,939 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TheBlackDog Check out Kathryn Joseph. From Aberdeen. I know her sister pretty well (also has a great voice actually). Her gigs are pretty different. Worth going if you have a chance. This was on Vic Galloways Introducing show on the BBC.

Edited by Mekanik at 16:56:38 04-03-2015
  • TheBlackDog 6 Mar 2015 18:26:32 667 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @bobomb Had a listen to your recommendations over the last few days thanks. Out of all of them, Sharon van Etten was the one that stood out immediately (I remember hearing one of her tracks on The Walking Dead but never followed it up. And I'd already been listening to Julia Holter a little, and really like her when I'm in the mood but just forget to dig her stuff out when sometimes thats the kind of thing I'd like to hear.

@Mekanik Cheers for the video - she does have an amazing voice, and subtly unique. I would definitely see her if she came to France !

So, what about some more female singers in the lo-fi/indie folk genre that aren't melancholic. I don't mind melancholic and introspective at all but sometimes, would rather listen to something about lighter, not necessarily jolly, but not too brooding on negative emotions, or whatever. Seems like a lot of the female stuff I have really enjoyed is a bit miserable - Beth Gibbon's Out of Season and Gillian Welch's Time (The Revelator) would be good examples of excellent albums that are very melancholic.

I think that's why I loved the first 2 albums by Joanna Newsome, Kate Bush I don't find heavy even when she is being introspective, PJ Harvey can be feisty or chilled even when she is heavy, and I'll even admit to enjoying Feist because she doesn't get too whiny about shit happening. I don't mind Mazzy Star levels of down, by the way, but maybe that's an exception. Point of You by Elephant Revival would be another good example of the kind of folksy music that is chilled but 'up'. And certainly Victoria Williams/Creekdippers is up even when she is being down.

So, any happy girls in this genre that I might not have come across ?
  • Clive_Dunn 6 Mar 2015 19:24:45 4,844 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm loving Courtney Barnett at the moment.
  • shamblemonkee 6 Mar 2015 19:29:59 15,211 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_IgA1aQz1o
  • MightyMouse 31 Mar 2015 21:58:41 1,152 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The new Sufjan Stevens album is back to Illinois quality.
  • monkehhh 31 Mar 2015 22:04:32 3,935 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's really, really good and pretty heavy going.

Carrie & Lowell is titled after Stevens' mother and stepfather. Carrie was bipolar and schizophrenic and suffered from drug addiction and substance abuse. She died of stomach cancer in 2012, but had abandoned Stevens much earlier, first when he was 1, then later, repeatedly ("when I was three, three maybe four, she left us at that video store," he sings on "Should Have Known Better").
    (from Pitchfork)
  • BillMurray 2 Apr 2015 21:15:11 8,311 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My friends are putting out an LP(think I posted a track a few posts up)soon and have just put pre-orders up. Would recommend folks go have a listen.

Elk - Herd Songs
  • Mekanik 23 Apr 2015 10:34:49 3,939 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Katheryn Joseph (i linked above) has been nominated for Scottish Album of the Year. Quite a big deal for her. Throw a vote her way (in a month) if you enjoyed it.

http://www.sayaward.com/
  • Dougs 23 Apr 2015 11:52:31 72,959 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MightyMouse wrote:
    Listening to this now, really good stuff. I like, a lot.
  • Trafford 23 Apr 2015 12:10:12 6,896 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    MightyMouse wrote:
    Listening to this now, really good stuff. I like, a lot.
    Good to hear, I'll pick this up in town on Saturday.
  • BillMurray 19 Jun 2015 19:58:39 8,311 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago

Fantastic two-piece band. Really nice twinkly math rock.
  • Mekanik 19 Jun 2015 23:45:30 3,939 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mekanik wrote:
    Katheryn Joseph (i linked above) has been nominated for Scottish Album of the Year. Quite a big deal for her. Throw a vote her way (in a month) if you enjoyed it.

http://www.sayaward.com/
    Just bumping this. Kathryn Joseph won Scottish Album of the Year this week.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Next