Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks like OpCapita will indeed be acquiring Game
  • spamdangled 31 Mar 2012 21:51:09 27,271 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Good news if they do, their last offer included paying off all debts and they have enough money to do it. Plus they have a good track record turning stores around, and with half the shops already closed a large part of their initial work is already done.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• KayJay 31 Mar 2012 21:52:24 5,287 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's great news I think. Let's hope they bring some fresh ideas and something that can co-exist with the online retailers.

/crosses fingers

Is Comet, PC world et al all part of OpCapita?
  • Ginger 31 Mar 2012 21:53:22 6,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    pleasepaysomethingbacktoshareholderspleasepaysomethingbacktoshareholders

London open taekwondo champion

• Lexx87 31 Mar 2012 22:29:53 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice to see.

I've known the bloke managing my local hometown Game for about 15 years, glad he'll be keeping his job.

Speak the truth hussy!

• spamdangled 31 Mar 2012 22:41:04 27,271 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    senso-ji wrote:
    pleasepaysomethingbacktoshareholderspleasepaysomethingbacktoshareholders
    Hopefully shares will be relisted at a buyout price.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 31 March 2012 22:44:00
    Hard to say. They might do it through the issuing of new shares which would probably cause a dip - I can't see them being issued at a very high price if they are. Anyone that owns them should be keeping an extremely close eye on them and be hovering over the sell button.
  • spamdangled 31 Mar 2012 22:50:48 27,271 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, we'll have to see. Looks like I have another week of watching share prices like a hawk. But it's not like they can dip much further - I think they were delisted at 2.39p a share.

I think the Gamestop offer was 9p a share wasn't it? Something comparable would be nice.

• PhoenixFlames 1 Apr 2012 07:55:52 8,900 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Won't it be worth keeping shares now? If they are relisted and Game's business picks up they could fetch a decent price, no?

PSN - phoenix1flames

• jonsaan 1 Apr 2012 07:58:43 25,326 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hopefully with Comet getting involved, we'll be able to buy 'insurance' with all our new games we get there..

FCUTA!

• Rhythm 1 Apr 2012 08:08:29 2,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Hopefully with Comet getting involved, we'll be able to buy 'insurance' with all our new games we get there..
    HMV already offer that. Fucking horrible, and one of the reasons I steer clear from HMV
  • jonsaan 1 Apr 2012 08:45:50 25,326 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Probably a higher rent for the location?

FCUTA!

• Dr_Mech 1 Apr 2012 09:06:01 1,009 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Weirdest thing happen in our town.

They closed both the Game AND the Gamestation...

Which is both the stores in Croydon...so now there is neither a Game or a Gamestation unless there is one hidden away somewhere in either the Whitgift or Drummond/Centrale shopping centres, it's been a long while since I went into Croydon.

Oh and just so people know...there's a ballsup at Blockbuster with their latest deal.

Price to buy Streetfighter x Tekken: 24.99.
    Trade in store credit price of same game for this weekend: 30.

However you'll be limited to one copy and you can't buy the game and then immediately trade it in so buy it at one store and flog it at another.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 09:10:13 01-04-2012
  • Ginger 1 Apr 2012 09:11:39 6,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @darkmorgado as far as I could tell there were no other offers, or they wouldn't have fone into administration. I'll be happy to get anything back tbh.

London open taekwondo champion

• Trowel 1 Apr 2012 09:42:46 17,463 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The PLC has not been bought, just the underlying assets. There will be nothing back for shareholders.
  • drhcnip 1 Apr 2012 09:58:40 2,452 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    Weirdest thing happen in our town.

They closed both the Game AND the Gamestation...
    which is bizarre as they have left both open here in st helens, which isn't exactly a sprawling metropolis, and they are within spitting distance of each other....
  • OmniaVincitAmor 1 Apr 2012 10:06:00 1,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    For all the people wondering about places that have closed and stayed open the biggest factor is probably the lease. If a lease is up regardless of where it is located they will close it, it is too expensive too renew. If it is ok lease wise it will stay open. Always the first thing retailers look at with store locale.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• Dr_Mech 1 Apr 2012 10:13:36 1,009 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    For all the people wondering about places that have closed and stayed open the biggest factor is probably the lease. If a lease is up regardless of where it is located they will close it, it is too expensive too renew. If it is ok lease wise it will stay open. Always the first thing retailers look at with store locale.
    Hmm probably explains why both went then, the Croydon high street apparently has some ridiculously high lease costs and I imagine they'd both be coming up for renewel under the same time period.

Doesn't explain why they completely removed their presence from a fairly busy high street though, even with the lease cost I'd have assumed they'd want to maintain atleast some presence.
  • brseg 1 Apr 2012 10:37:08 679 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Look at the list of closed stores in the north west: both manchester arndale stores, both Preston stores, Blackburn (was 3 stores a few years back, now none!), accrington, Bolton. Thats basically *all* of them gone. unless they will be re-opened?

I fear it'll all go pear-shaped within a year. Probably with the same failed managers, blaming the 'tough economic conditions' again. I hoped Gamestop would step in, at least they'd stand a chance.
  • YenRug 1 Apr 2012 13:35:14 2,031 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    Seriously unlikely, they'd already announced the closure of those stores where the lease was up, which was somewhere around 30-35. The fact is, going into administration allows you to break leases without having to observe any penalty clauses (the company can claim to no longer exist in the form it did when the contract was signed), allowing you to do what is necessary to create a (potentially) going concern.

The simple fact is, if they closed all of the stores in your town, they didn't feel there was enough business to maintain a single store with the costs they knew they had to cover.
  • Psychotext 1 Apr 2012 13:59:34 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any losses. Stupid thing is, they didn't take into account that stores were making other stores unprofitable (Where there were two or three in a town).

But it makes sense on paper, if not from an ongoing business perspective.
  • OmniaVincitAmor 1 Apr 2012 14:02:38 1,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I have my doubts. Know for a fact Croydon was one of the biggest earners in that southern region and I believe that have shut all of those?

• Psychotext 1 Apr 2012 14:05:40 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gamestation is still open there:

CROYDON 2 80 North End, Croydon, CR0 1UJ
  • OmniaVincitAmor 1 Apr 2012 14:07:04 1,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Makes sense. The pre-owned market is massive there, kids need to get their drug money somehow :)

• urban 1 Apr 2012 14:12:08 10,926 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the best example of Game/GAMEstation fail is the fact they didn't close the gamestation store 20 feet opposite the GAME in Dundee.

Having two stores from the same company open almost directly across the thoroughfare from each other was just daft.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2012 18:06:21
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17578451

There's a high chance at existing shareholders getting nothing.
  • Page

of 46 First / Last