of 42 First / Last

• Ka-blamo 1 May 2012 19:47:11 7,580 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hendry is dead, my bets are retarded.
  • Ka-blamo 1 May 2012 19:54:33 7,580 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Remember davies beating higgins in the worldchamps recently, then going through to get smashed by robertson, this year higgins gets beaten by hendry who goes on to get smashed.

If i didnt know better i'd think Higgins is a cheating fuck and this is no coincidence.
  • SolidSCB 1 May 2012 20:20:43 7,135 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He was probably "Genuinely in fear of my safety" again. Don't blame poor old John.
  • SolidSCB 1 May 2012 21:32:49 7,135 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So Hendry has retired from snooker after that defeat. Fair play to him. His brilliance during his peak was the reason I watch and enjoy the game today. Probably the best player there will ever be. Disappointing he was beaten so convincingly today, but glad he got to go out in the later stages of the tournament he made his own, rather than retiring quietly while scraping to qualify for events.
  • Trowel 1 May 2012 22:13:59 18,016 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sad to hear - gave the game a badly-needed injection of youth and quality at just the right time, and is probably the sole reason why the current strength in depth is like never before.
  • ecu 1 May 2012 22:17:16 77,212 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Made a 147 in his final appearance in the tournament. That's rather fitting, too.
  • prawnking1980 1 May 2012 23:02:47 4,925 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's is sad to hear, he made snooker for me growing up.
  • NotSoSlim 2 May 2012 10:39:27 3,142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Inteteresting him saying one of his heroes is Tiger Woods.

Would Golf and Snooker be where they are without them?
  • Lukus 2 May 2012 10:48:13 19,350 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Didn't he retire last year, then immediately resume the new season? Sounds pretty definite this time though.

Paintings & Photographs

• JuanKerr 2 May 2012 10:51:43 36,415 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NotSoSlim wrote:

Yes.
  • NotSoSlim 2 May 2012 11:21:30 3,142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    NotSoSlim wrote:

Yes.
    Not globally. Was golf watched as much before Woods?

How many golfers now got into golf due to him making it so popular?

Same can be said of Hendry early 90's with snooker. Amount of people who say they started watching both sports due to them is staggering.

Just my opinion of course :)

Edited by NotSoSlim at 11:21:56 02-05-2012
  • JuanKerr 2 May 2012 11:36:27 36,415 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was being a bit facetious :) They've both had a huge impact on their respective sports, but golf has always been pretty damn popular and it's impossible to compare whether it's more popular now than it was pre-Woods really. The Ryder Cup and the majors have been big events for a long time.

I'd actually say that snooker was more popular pre-Hendry - the 1985 final between Davis and Taylor was watched by 18.5 million people on TV. Viewing figures for snooker nowadays are nowhere near that.

But you're right, both players have indeed raised the profile of the two sports.

Edited by JuanKerr at 11:37:38 02-05-2012
  • NotSoSlim 2 May 2012 11:39:35 3,142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I was being a bit facetious :) They've both had a huge impact on their respective sports, but golf has always been pretty damn popular and it's impossible to compare whether it's more popular now than it was pre-Woods really. The Ryder Cup has always been massive.

I'd actually say that snooker was more popular pre-Hendry - the 1985 final between Davis and Taylor was watched by 18.5 million people on TV. Viewing figures for snooker nowadays are nowhere near that.

But you're right, both players have indeed raised the profile of the two sports.
    Agree on Ryder Cup. Always hear golferd talk about prize money and prestige of tournaments now due to Woods.

Same with Snooker really probably alot of Scottish players in paticular started playing due to Hendry.

Legend is a easy word to say but certainly right to use it in his case.
  • JuanKerr 2 May 2012 11:50:08 36,415 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    Always hear golferd talk about prize money and prestige of tournaments now due to Woods.

Same with Snooker really probably alot of Scottish players in paticular started playing due to Hendry.

Legend is a easy word to say but certainly right to use it in his case.
    There's just more money in golf these days, thanks to TV rights, huge corporate sponsorship deals and the like. Woods has helped of course as he is a very marketable player, but it's not all down to him.

Hendry is definitely a snooker legend - arguably the best player ever.
  • JBlokeUK 2 May 2012 12:00:41 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As great as Stephen Hendry was, it was Jimmy White who got me into watching, and playing snooker.

I like it when he's angry.

• JuanKerr 2 May 2012 12:13:23 36,415 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jimmy White for me too, and I always liked Steve Davis. Never really liked Hendry as a sporting personality because I found him a bit dull. Can't argue with his talent though, that's for sure.
  • SolidSCB 2 May 2012 12:16:39 7,135 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think we'll ever see such a sustained period of form and dominance in the game ever again. To think of anyone winning 5 consecutive world championships these days is unreal. No one has even retained it once since Hendry.
  • Youthist 2 May 2012 12:24:56 10,054 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When Hendry was in his prime he generally didn't miss if an opponent gave him a chance for a pot. His decision making on when to go for a tricky pot to put him in vs. hold back and play safety was perfect - which used to cost Jimmy White when playing him. Once he got the table, it was very unusual for him not to win the frame.

The Hendry vs. White world final match-ups were great TV back in the day.

Edited by Youthist at 12:25:29 02-05-2012

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• SolidSCB 2 May 2012 12:41:01 7,135 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep. Great series of finals. Jimmy was so unlucky in that sense. If it wasn't for the fact that his rise came at the same time as someone who was virtually unbeatable, he would have had a handful of world titles at least and would be regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, rather than snooker's greatest ever 'nearly' man.
  • JBlokeUK 2 May 2012 12:44:48 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jimmy White was the one who truly pushed Hendry though, from memory. Probably made Hendry a better player overall.

I like it when he's angry.

• nickthegun 2 May 2012 12:49:51 60,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Never really liked Hendry as a sporting personality because I found him a bit dull.
    Like Davis, he comes across as a funny, likable bloke IRL (hes a regular guest on talksport) but at the table was focused like a laser beam, so came across as quite dour.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Dougs 2 May 2012 12:52:49 69,004 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A Scotsman? Dour? Surely not!

Golf has always been enormously popular. Woods has helped with the image a bit, but the biggest driver for getting players out there is that it's no longer as expensive or exclusive as it once was. Still is a bit too exclusive for me mind
  • SolidSCB 2 May 2012 12:53:47 7,135 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah. He's actually been a great addition to the BBC commentary/analysis team over the last couple of years. Hope he continues in that capacity, but I wouldn't begrudge him stepping away entirely. He's most certainly earned it.
  • JuanKerr 2 May 2012 15:13:37 36,415 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    O'Sullivan all over Robertson at the moment. Playing some cracking stuff.
  • SolidSCB 2 May 2012 15:18:37 7,135 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep. He's been a bit of a wildcard so far this tournament. Seems to have one stonking session followed by an indifferent one. If he can maintain this sort of form for the rest of the week he'll be hard to beat.
  • NotSoSlim 2 May 2012 15:19:08 3,142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did like his Tiger Woods comment about best ever :

As long as your in the conversation you have done all you could. Rest is opinions

Top class.
  • JuanKerr 2 May 2012 15:28:21 36,415 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's no-one better to watch than O'Sullivan when he's on form. Brilliant.
  • Jono62 2 May 2012 16:04:14 14,241 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shame he's a mental case and you never which Ronnie will turn up.
  • ecu 2 May 2012 19:59:44 77,212 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When Ronnie's on form, he makes snooker look so easy. I suppose all the good players do, but he especially does. Doesn't even look like he needs to think about it a lot of the time.

Edited by ecureuil at 20:00:28 02-05-2012
  • Page

of 42 First / Last