Max Payne 3 Official Thread of Slow Motion Awesomeness Page 43

• Page

of 48 First / Last

• Deleted user 19 June 2012 18:52:31
    I'll be surprised if you still think it's a 9/10 after playing through on its "proper" settings.

That fairness you mentioned? It only exists on medium setting.
  • Deleted user 21 June 2012 22:14:36
    This 'game' is terrible. Let me explain.

Every ten seconds I get all control taken away for another cutscene, usually one where Max is walking along or jogging from one of the set pieces to another. Why is this annoying? Because there's no reason it needs to be done in a cutscene. Why not let me tell Max to run down that corridor and bash through the door?

One scene - I am covering the NPC buddy with a sniper rifle. I get to control my aim when there are enemies around. When there aren't it takes away all control and forces my aim at my buddy. Why? Why can't I look around at the rest of the stadium or look ahead of him to identify early threats?

Why when I die and restart do I have to sit through a repeat of the previous few seconds of whatever the cutscene at the checkpoint is and why can't I skip these?

I want to climb up a ladder. Cutscene.

The shooting is very good (even if it hasn't progressed in the slightest since MP3) but only lasts 30 seconds before another 2 minute cutscene. LET ME PLAY.
  • Deleted user 21 June 2012 22:26:43
    Aargh. wrote:
    This 'game' is terrible. Let me explain.

Every ten seconds I get all control taken away for another cutscene, usually one where Max is walking along or jogging from one of the set pieces to another. Why is this annoying? Because there's no reason it needs to be done in a cutscene. Why not let me tell Max to run down that corridor and bash through the door?

One scene - I am covering the NPC buddy with a sniper rifle. I get to control my aim when there are enemies around. When there aren't it takes away all control and forces my aim at my buddy. Why? Why can't I look around at the rest of the stadium or look ahead of him to identify early threats?

Why when I die and restart do I have to sit through a repeat of the previous few seconds of whatever the cutscene at the checkpoint is and why can't I skip these?

I want to climb up a ladder. Cutscene.

The shooting is very good (even if it hasn't progressed in the slightest since MP3) but only lasts 30 seconds before another 2 minute cutscene. LET ME PLAY.
    Because, "storytelling".

Another thing that devs are getting way too far up their own arses about and R* are probably the worst offenders.

Your story is: man wants to shoot other mans. We don't need a feature-films-worth of cutscenes in every game to let us know this.
  • Deleted user 21 June 2012 22:45:14
    There are plenty of games that tell a story that is about as complex as this with few, or no, cutscenes. There is no reason for a lot of those that appear.

Why do I need a cutscene of me running around a corner from one area to another that lasts 20 seconds+? Why do I need one of me standing there waiting for the other person to run from one place to another or of me climbing a ladder? It's BF3 all over again.

I've never been a big fan of cutscenes as they generally come across as lazy attempts at telling a story or are sub TV Soap standard in their direction, writing and action. I can think of about 3 or 4 that I enjoyed that were like that.

It's ridiculous in this.
  • Deleted user 22 June 2012 10:44:46
    Pretty easy to act the hard man on the internet.
  • Deleted user 22 June 2012 11:14:34
    Not just hard, psycho.
  • cianchristopher 22 Jun 2012 11:34:05 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Agree about the cutscenes, they nearly ruin the game. The gunplay is very good, but the pacing and level design isn't that great. Without the cutscenes I'd have given it an 8/10, with the cutscenes it's more like a 6/10.

If they'd just gone with a Horde mode or something, it'd have been great. I'd love 10-20 minutes of uninterrupted shoot-outs. Even the Arcade and New York Minute modes play out with cutscenes. At least Alan Wake's American Nightmare had the good grace to give us a great Arcade mode, this is borderline insulting.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Jun 2012 11:55:54 39,732 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I love the cut scenes. They set and enforce the mood and style of game perfectly.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 22 June 2012 11:56:50
    They didn't bother me overly, but I think 7 was about right tbh.
  • Scurrminator 22 Jun 2012 11:59:11 8,465 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The cut scenes told the story really well and were part and parcel of the package.
    I can understand the frustration with them not being skipable but it was that or a loading screen.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• kinky_mong 22 Jun 2012 12:37:55 10,853 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    I love the cut scenes. They set and enforce the mood and style of game perfectly.
    Agreed.

I think the secret to whether you enjoy this game or not is if you're looking for a story and atmosphere to get involved in around the action, or whether you just want wall to wall shooty shooty bang bang without interruption.

Or maybe as Deckard said, you might just be a cunt.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• repairmanjack 22 Jun 2012 13:57:27 6,078 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Agreed. I love this.

All I'm reading in this thread now are people bemoaning a lack of ritalin... To call the game terrible because it takes the time to tell a story (and does it brilliantly, in my opinion); sorry, but just play something else. This one's not for you.
  • Deleted user 22 June 2012 22:12:09
    You can have story without it being a non-interactive TV movie.
  • Deleted user 22 June 2012 22:14:27
    repairmanjack wrote:
    DDevil wrote:
    Agreed. I love this.

All I'm reading in this thread now are people bemoaning a lack of ritalin... To call the game terrible because it takes the time to tell a story (and does it brilliantly, in my opinion); sorry, but just play something else. This one's not for you.
    No shit.

And it has nothing to do with attention span, if anything it's the exact opposite - I want to be involved but the game refuses to let me.

It's a game. When did it become acceptable for a game to spend 90% of its time doing what it wants rather than letting me do something?

Also, unskippable cutscenes are worse than Hitler.
  • silentbob 22 Jun 2012 22:29:12 29,026 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's the best slow motion shooter ever made. Stop whining like a smelly bitch!

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• ronuds 25 Jun 2012 14:49:37 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    No shit.

And it has nothing to do with attention span, if anything it's the exact opposite - I want to be involved but the game refuses to let me.

It's a game. When did it become acceptable for a game to spend 90% of its time doing what it wants rather than letting me do something?

Also, unskippable cutscenes are worse than Hitler.
    I'm with Aargh. on this one. Too many cutscenes. Let's not act like they're telling some epic tale that everyone really needs to see. It's about a guy who is given as many reasons to shoot crap as possible. It's told well for what it is and the presentation is great, imo, but it's simply too much and not interesting enough for me to really care.

I've completed the 1st disc in 3-4 hours and I can't say I actually played the game for more than 45 minutes of that - and that includes multiple deaths in one particular section. I thought the gameplay itself, when it let me play, was pretty good. Excellent, in fact, but also repetetive and somewhat of a one-trick pony. Shooting guys in the eye socket will take a while to get old, though.

And "Still Loading" my arse!
  • glaeken 25 Jun 2012 15:14:17 11,261 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I liked the cut scenes for the first play through but I do think they needed some sort of arcade mode without them. They need a mode that is just pure action along the lines of what cianchristopher was suggesting. The game is crying out for some sort of horde mode.
  • 1Dgaf 25 Jun 2012 15:17:11 3,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Before I played MP3, I happened to watch two films about paramilitary police in Brazil called Elite Squad and Elite Squad: The Enemy Within. Not only are they great films, they'll make you think about MP3 and its setting in a different way.

I recorded a very short review of them. No spoilers in the review.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/hatchetjob/HatchetJob097.mp3

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• glaeken 25 Jun 2012 16:35:46 11,261 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The sniper rifle bit was annoying. I wanted to then play a game where I was in hospital for weeks and having to go through lots of physical therapy to get over my crippling arm injury. Dam stupid game had been shrugging off like it was nothing.

I cannot agree with you on the bald head bit though. I think bald heads add a much needed tone of realism to the game.
  • Deleted user 25 June 2012 17:31:37
    My god space warrior say something positive, anything.
  • glaeken 25 Jun 2012 17:32:49 11,261 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @spacewarrior Well bald is realistic. Max is getting pretty old. I was actually surprised he still had hair. That was a real immersion breaker for me so once he shaved his head I thought it improved the game massively. It probably added an extra mark out of 10 for me.

As for some sniper rifles blowing arms off that was a Snider .3073 sniper rifle and they are well known for not being able to knock limbs off. You really need a .406 to take an arm off.

Edited by glaeken at 17:34:42 25-06-2012
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 25 Jun 2012 17:33:28 39,732 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It was symbol of his attempt to turn his life around and take...

Ah fuck it, it's not worth me explaining.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• silentbob 25 Jun 2012 19:39:01 29,026 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's interesting to see that those who didn't like can be unevenly divided into two groups:

- Those who state that they "usually like Rockstar games" - without a hint of irony.
    - Roluds

Edited by silentbob at 19:40:17 25-06-2012

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• GuiltySpark 25 Jun 2012 19:46:26 6,466 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rockstar are one of the best developers out there.

I do not understand the hate in the slightest. Max Payne 3 is a very, very good game, with some flaws. It's as simple as that. I absolutely fucking adore MP1 and 2, but they were not perfect.

Would you have preferred Remedy to make Max Payne 3, and for it to have Alan Wake's flaws too?

It's hard for Rockstar to make Max Payne 3 without it feeling like fan fiction. I think they pulled it off the best they possibly could. As DDevil rightly couldn't be arsed to explain, if you do not get simple things like symbolism, then this is not the game for you.

Get bent.

• Page

of 48 First / Last