Blizzard Customer Service Hits an All Time Low

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Dexter 4 Oct 2006 10:20:29 1,060 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Every Wednesday, all the World of Warcraft servers go down from 5am (CEST) to 11am for maintenance.

Last night I logged in just after 12am and saw a notice saying that "selected realms are being taken down at 12.01am and will be down for 36 hours of extended maintenance". It turns out they gave about 10 minutes notice in game and 2 hours in the realm status forum (in a disused lavatory with a broken light in the cellar, sellotaped to the inside of a locked filing cabinet next to a sign saying Beware of the Leopard).
    When I'd been on 3 hours before that there was no notice at all on the login screen.

Understandably, the official forums have gone ballistic and there are people all over the place complaining that their hearthstones were on cooldown and they're stuck in the middle of nowhere/instances.

I can't understand how a company, which rakes in millions of dollars every month from it's loyal (addicted) customers, is incapable of planning this kind of thing properly. How hard can it be for them to get their act together and give a decent notice period?

Personally, this doesn't affect me very much since a few months of cold turkey mean that my WoW cravings aren't as bad as they used to be. I can understand how pissed off the serious raiding guilds will be though, since planning 6 hour raids into the high level instances is not easy.

EG, is there any chance you could run a story on this and maybe get a quote from Blizzard on how they only gave 10 minutes notice for a "planned" 36 hour maintenance outage?

Weekly maintenance post.

Lots of people whining in the WoW forums (Warning, makes the Gamefaq forums look like an Oxford Debating Society meeting).
  • Scurrminator 4 Oct 2006 10:22:13 8,377 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    it's cos the kind folks at blizzard have been doing this: SP

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• phAge 4 Oct 2006 10:25:24 24,336 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dexter wrote:
    ... next to a sign saying Beware of the Leopard).
    Genuine LOL!

I, er, feel you loss, mate. :)
  • jellyhead 4 Oct 2006 10:34:59 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dexter wrote:
    It turns out they gave about 10 minutes notice in game and 2 hours in the realm status forum (in a disused lavatory with a broken light in the cellar, sellotaped to the inside of a locked filing cabinet next to a sign saying Beware of the Leopard).
    I don't know, apathetic bloody players. ;)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Dexter 4 Oct 2006 10:45:41 1,060 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    What's new? The servers are always going down randomly, weekly maintanence has been taking 24hours every other time. They're customer service is a joke, the games a joke and Blizzard are cunts.
    That's the spirit, FT! How many days have you been clean now?
  • Deleted user 4 October 2006 11:36:21
    Blizzard Customer Services: Mostly Harmless.
  • jellyhead 4 Oct 2006 11:42:12 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    Blizzard Customer Services: Mostly Clueless.
    Fixed. :)

• deem 4 Oct 2006 11:44:14 31,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Pirotic Moderator 4 Oct 2006 11:45:58 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    well, they are paying for service they are not getting - they have every right to get pissed off about it.
  • Stickman 4 Oct 2006 11:49:27 29,657 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So if the servers are down for 3 days, do you get 3 days free play at a later date?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Tiiti 4 Oct 2006 11:49:35 497 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I believe most of the servers are hosted in France?

French people = lazy

That would explain it :)

Father. Husband. Gamer.
    X360 | XBO | WiiU | iPad4 | iPhone 5
    PC: i7 2600k, GTX 580 Lightning (sli), SSD

• Dexter 4 Oct 2006 11:52:26 1,060 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    deem wrote:
    People really take games this seriously?

Poor feckers.

The problem isn't the WoW withdrawal, it's the way that Blizzard always show a complete disregard for their paying customers. There's never any mention of these outages on the front page of the site and the forum login servers have a habit of breaking when a lot of people start complaining so that no one can post.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if they'd given a reasonable amount of notice. However, telling everyone 10 minutes before they take the servers down for a day and a half of planned maintenance is a pretty poor effort.
  • Pike 4 Oct 2006 11:53:56 13,448 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dexter wrote:

I wouldn't have a problem with it if they'd given a reasonable amount of notice. However, telling everyone 10 minutes before they take the servers down for a day and a half of planned maintenance is a pretty poor effort.

Yeah, just when I and another Wen-Tzu guildie were busy ganking ally noobs as well. Shameful.
  • deem 4 Oct 2006 11:55:47 31,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • kalel 4 Oct 2006 12:01:18 86,323 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree that it can all be a bit scary, but I do have sympathy for these people.

I remember when I played CoH, there were certain missions that you needed very specfic groups for, and getting a bunch of people together would require a similar amount of organsisation to say, going out clubbing with a group of mates.

Imagine you turned up to a club, knowing very well, that you had to be out of there by a certain time to catch the tube home, only to get there to find that in fact it was closed for maintenance. Then imagine that they took your money before telling you this.

Weird analogy I know, but it's not really comparable to other games is what I'm saying.
  • Pike 4 Oct 2006 12:01:25 13,448 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deem wrote:
    I have games that crash or servers that fuck up all the time with no warning at all - it's a bit of a pain in the arse, but there you go.

Well, I just came to WoW after having BF 2 as my main online experience, so I think things are impossibly well maintained. However if you actually pay monthly for the privelege of playing then you should have higher demands as well.
  • warlockuk 4 Oct 2006 12:07:22 19,133 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh. The gf right-clicked to buy an epic the other day, it accidentally double-clicked (stupid mouse).

...and they won't refund one of the mounts. Despite them being identically useless. She can't give them away, sell them or anything like that. They should be unique, really (why would you need two of the same thing you can't sell?)... but they just said they weren't refunding the coin. Cocksuckers.

But that's my experience any time I've needed a GM or some actual customer service - you get told to post in the Suggestions forum aka "Fuck off". Like the payment system - for over a year now I've had to re-enter my card details because their site can't remember my Switch card info properly. And every time they say it's fixed... it isn't.

Blizzard EU is just a series of fob-offs and "no" answers tbh.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• QuickBen 4 Oct 2006 12:18:54 113 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Heh. The gf right-clicked to buy an epic the other day, it accidentally double-clicked (stupid mouse).

...and they won't refund one of the mounts. Despite them being identically useless. She can't give them away, sell them or anything like that. They should be unique, really (why would you need two of the same thing you can't sell?)... but they just said they weren't refunding the coin. Cocksuckers.
    quote]
    Anyone who has enough gold to buy two epic mounts deserves everything thet get :p
  • Orange 4 Oct 2006 12:19:30 4,654 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    the GMs are a mixed bunch, some are unhelpful/clueless cnuts. some are genuinely very good, especially the one last week who agreed to go to the BG I was in and boot out some exploiters :)

Generally I don't have a problem with unscheduled maintanence or extended maintanence, even though WoW has been the worst for it from the online games I've played.

They make their own problem by continually giving out estimated times which are nearly always complete underestimations. That really doesn't help as it makes them look dishonest/incompetent every time.
  • warlockuk 4 Oct 2006 12:24:53 19,133 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    QuickBen wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:

Anyone who has enough gold to buy two epic mounts deserves everything thet get :p

1) You're a cunt
    2) Epics are now 80g

Edited by warlockuk at 12:25:54 04-10-2006

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 4 Oct 2006 12:25:43 19,133 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• jellyhead 4 Oct 2006 12:33:42 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone named after "Ben Adaephon Delat" is ok in my book, actually he's great in a whole host of Malazan books! :)

• QuickBen 4 Oct 2006 12:48:05 113 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    /hugs jellyhead
    /points out the the tongue-in-cheekness of initial post
  • Khanivor 4 Oct 2006 13:10:03 40,372 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Another reason why abandoning Wednesday as a raiding night was a good idea :)
  • Dexter 4 Oct 2006 13:22:11 1,060 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Another reason why abandoning Wednesday as a raiding night was a good idea :)
    Probably Thursday too this week, judging by their track record of bringing stuff back up on time ;)
  • Khanivor 4 Oct 2006 13:28:36 40,372 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No worries, tis only an MC run for those who need stuff

/pats full tier 1 and tier 2 legs :)

Wouldn't mind the other bloody bindings tho.
  • Kami 4 Oct 2006 15:03:03 2,413 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blizzard and Customer Support no longer belong in the same sentence.

It's not just a simple case any longer of just poor technical support. It's overall support. GMs are apparantly told sometimes to not ban people who flagrantly break the rules because the person is a paying customer. People who get hacked with the new keyloggers that are out there in many of the newer mods lose all their equipment and gold and it takes weeks for them to get it back. Blizzard can't even enforce its own policies on the Role Play realms.

Blizzard have no customer support. It just doesn't exist. As long as they get the subscription fee, it seems they couldn't give a rats what you do in the game...

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• warlockuk 4 Oct 2006 17:04:19 19,133 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Exactly. They don't ban bots and farmers immediately either. Sure, they'll ban a few thousand accounts at once and announce "We banned 2000 accounts this week" but by then the bots have ground themselves silly.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 4 October 2006 17:15:01
    A scary, scary universe.

It's just a game.

/Shuffles out of thread.
  • warlockuk 4 Oct 2006 17:39:49 19,133 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It -is- just a game, but it's a pain in the arse when you spend all the time playing it just to get treated like a wanker by their customer support...

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous