Amazon Kindle Page 69

• Page

of 70 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 7 Nov 2013 15:24:23 10,510 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Just get a cheapo neoprene sleeve then. It's not essential when reading, but that's a good option if it's just to protect it in a bag or whatever.
    Cheers.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Psychotext 13 Nov 2013 18:06:45 53,919 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there any way of converting a PDF so that it's easier to read on the Kindle? I seem to have a choice of trying to read it portrait (text way too tiny for my old and broken eyes), or landscape but then having to mess around with the pages being a pain in the arse to flip through (I always have to hunt for where I was in the last third of the page).

I don't really care about any illustrations, as long as I can read the text easier.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2013 18:08:54
    You can use online converters to whack the text into a mobi file that the Kindle can read, as long as it's actual text and not a scan.

http://www.zamzar.com/convert/pdf-to-mobi/
  • Psychotext 14 Nov 2013 04:28:36 53,919 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks.
  • HoriZon 14 Nov 2013 07:55:51 13,526 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can kindles read .cbr/.cdz yet without converting them ?

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Armoured_Bear 4 Dec 2013 21:11:40 10,510 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    When I look at kindle books in amazon, say in the kindle charts section there is a price.
    When you click on the item, the actual price to buy is much higher.
    Any idea why?

• Deleted user 4 December 2013 21:30:33
    Are you seeing the amazon prime price? Or something? There's an amazon prime price that's lower dunno what that is.
  • facd224 4 Dec 2013 21:39:43 21 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's probably an amazon.com thing, I think prices are shown without tax, so if you order from Europe there's always tax (VAT, BTW, MWS etc) added to the price.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Dec 2013 21:45:37 10,510 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago

• Armoured_Bear 4 Dec 2013 21:46:38 10,510 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago

• Armoured_Bear 4 Dec 2013 21:47:27 10,510 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Now it says it's 18 bucks but not available, yet within kindle I could buy it at that price.
    It's listed as 7.64 on the chart.

• Armoured_Bear 4 Dec 2013 22:44:19 10,510 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's really fucked up how kindle versions are often double the price of the paperback :-(

• Deleted user 4 December 2013 22:47:25
    Huh. Odd.

Can't say I've noticed that myself!
  • ILoveThrashMetal 5 Dec 2013 08:28:16 705 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone tried kindle fire hd? Thinking of one for mum and dad and wondered about pros and cons, like bloatware.

Arsechickens

• Spectral 5 Dec 2013 08:37:45 4,977 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Major con is that it doesn't have access to the standard android app store, only amazon's, which has less content. Also sucks if you already own software from other devices. It is possible to get the google app store running on it but doing so may void the warranty.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 5 Dec 2013 09:04:50 705 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Spectral cheers. Might try the Asus MemoPad HD 7, similar price.

Arsechickens

• Spectral 5 Dec 2013 09:08:43 4,977 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In the 7" tablet market imo the nexus 7 is the way to go. Good specs, well built and gets android updates before other devices.
  • THFourteen 5 Dec 2013 09:27:03 33,104 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hasnt the kindle fire got a mayday button that parents can use to contact you directly whenever they are having technical difficulties with the kindle / printer / laptop / oven / video recorder
  • CharlieStCloud 5 Dec 2013 09:30:03 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ILoveThrashMetal

If you are buying the Kindle Fire for your parents for reading purposes, look at the Kindle range instead however, if I am wrong in thinking it is just purely for reading books on, take a look at the new Nexus 7.

... it's 179 if you look around and is a far better tablet, especially apps and multimedia wise.

: )
  • enfilade 9 Apr 2014 11:03:02 211 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm looking at getting a Kindle (just for reading) since my commute will soon be getting a lot longer.

Any recommendations on which model I should get? They're pushing the Kindle Paperwhite these days but is it worth double the money of the plain old e-ink one?

Ideally I just want it as light as possible so I can hold it at any conceivable angle when crammed onto central line tube train at peak.

If anyone knows any recommendations for a slender case (ie. not a Belkin leather case that turns it into a hardback book) that'd be mighty fine of y'all as well.
  • wayneh 9 Apr 2014 11:08:53 2,311 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    enfilade wrote:
    Any recommendations on which model I should get? They're pushing the Kindle Paperwhite these days but is it worth double the money of the plain old e-ink one?
    The only difference with the paperwhite is the backlight. Great if you read in bed I suppose but it does impact on battery life.

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• kalel 9 Apr 2014 11:13:08 86,809 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can always turn off the light on the paperwhite of course, so it doesn't have to impact on the battery life.

It's a very nice option to have and I find it has use in many lit situations, as well as the dark. The battery is still pretty epic even with the light on constantly. I find it lasts weeks and I use it every day on my commute.
  • PenguinJim 9 Apr 2014 11:16:18 5,811 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The difference is two months on the Paperwhite vs three months on the Kindle Keyboard, isn't it? There was a pappy touchscreen Kindle between those two which only had a month of battery - avoid that one!

I'd recommend the Paperwhite in a heartbeat if it had those physical next-page buttons the Kindle Keyboard has. Instead, I'd say it's worth seeing if you can get a bargain price on a Kindle Keyboard. No backlight, and that keyboard is largely useless and takes up space, but it's still a great e-reader. Either way, you can save some money by getting the unobtrusive-ads version.

Barnes & Noble may still have their 29 Nook e-reader, which might be worth investigating.

What kind of books will you be reading? Do you already have a Kindle account? Will you want to buy from Amazon? Borrow from libraries? "Borrow" from the Internet?
  • TheRealBadabing 9 Apr 2014 11:42:48 1,296 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would certainly recommend an older model with the page turn "bumpers". Much easier to use one-handed if nothing else. I had a Touch and it was not fun, with the slightest contact bringing up menus or other annoyances.

The Nook was my replacement for that Touch. As it had page-turn buttons it should have been a good compromise. Unfortunately those buttons were hard and unresponsive and the menu system not a patch on the Kindle.

So now I'm back to an older model: no keyboard just a few buttons and it does the job admirably.
  • enfilade 9 Apr 2014 14:33:46 211 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    What kind of books will you be reading? Do you already have a Kindle account? Will you want to buy from Amazon? Borrow from libraries? "Borrow" from the Internet?
    Mainly your regular books. Anything like a graphic novel I'll still get the real thing and read it at home. One other thing I'd like if possible would be to read .pdf versions of Accounting textbooks, just to give me the option of studying to/from work. Does anyone know if that'd work, or does it only support a specific file format?

No existing library of books, I'm thinking of taking the opportunity to benefit from the catalogue of public domain books I never read - but for new stuff I trust Amazon to deliver on a good price and service so they seem the best bet. Kindle always seemed very highly recommended.

Sounds like Paperwhite will be the way to go. The extra 50 or so isn't so welcome, but I'd rather pay that and have the flexibility in different light conditions. Don't like that the 'bumpers' are missing though - how do you turn the page? I'm guessing it's a swipe right-to-left?

Cheers for the advice!
  • midi82 9 Apr 2014 14:48:39 668 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kindle can generally render PDF's pretty well, although some times the formatting can go a bit crazy. I think you just have to email the file to your kindles email address.
  • iancognito 9 Apr 2014 14:52:44 1,155 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you plug a Kindle into the USB slot, it should recognise it as an external hard drive. You can drag the PDF straight into a directory (think it's called Documents or something similarly sensible) if you don't want to go the emailing route.
  • Dougs 9 Apr 2014 14:57:43 67,025 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just a touch on the screen is enough to turn the page. Takes a bit of getting used to, but I prefer the smaller form factor and the backlight is great. Let me know if you find a slimcase too - at the moment I'm using a neoprene sleeve, which is cheap and cheerful and great for just chucking in a bag, but no good for a suit pocket etc...
  • PenguinJim 9 Apr 2014 15:45:28 5,811 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I stick mine in a jiffy-bag. It was the perfect size, and it already has my address on it in case I lose it.
  • Alastair 9 Apr 2014 15:50:48 15,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have the cheap 59 one and it's great. Not sure I would fork out over 100 for the paperwhite. You could buy a headtorch for night time reading for a lot less...

Not as nice as I used to be

• Page

of 70 First / Last