Amazon Kindle Page 57

• Page

of 70 First / Last

• Deleted user 8 September 2012 18:25:52
    That's pretty retarded. I mean, the ads aren't intrusive at all (unlike other ad-supported things that force an ad onscreen for a certain amount of time before continuing), but that's still beside the point. The opt-out for the current special offer Kindles is $20. Would it really kill them to offer models without, or a further-down-the-line opt-out? That's just going to massively increase the urge for most techies to root it and whack on a custom ROM or something.
  • mrpon 8 Sep 2012 18:25:55 28,414 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Least he didn't say restroom, yet.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Shikasama 8 Sep 2012 18:59:30 6,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bizarrely enough I don't mind the advertising thing. If it is restricted ot the screensaver then it doesn't really affect my user experience and (this might sound insanely naive) but between Amazon and lovefilm which are two of my most used companies, I actually trust them to show me something interesting.
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Sep 2012 19:40:37 14,382 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chaps I want to get my woman the Kindle fire (160 version) from amazon. She has a kindle I bought her last year, as she loves reading.
    I know or at least think I know the Kindle fire is a tablet, is it good value? She mainly wants it for books, but I thought the extra features were rather nice (internet etc)

...I know feck all about such things.
    Thanks for any help.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 8 September 2012 19:46:55
    It's good, but also heavily tied in with Amazon services. Internet isn't great on it - the Silk browser isn't the best, but you can just whack Opera, Dophin or Chrome on there anyway.

The main criticism for me is the interface - the carousel thing they use for a homescreen might look nice, but is a pain in the arse to actually use. Especially as it auto-fills with your entire Amazon library first time. I had to spend an hour or so removing books from it as having several hundred items on it from the get-go was slowing it down.
  • Shikasama 8 Sep 2012 20:06:57 6,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Duff, you might want to wait for the upgrade version coming out in October, unless that's the one you meant?
  • mrpon 8 Sep 2012 20:57:16 28,414 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Remember duff those tablets don't have a two month battery life.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• DUFFMAN5 8 Sep 2012 21:47:35 14,382 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers chaps and yes I mean the one in Oct ;)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• ecureuil 9 Sep 2012 13:43:13 76,480 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well this didn't take long. Amazon backtracks, will offer $15 opt-out for ads on Kindle Fire tablets.
  • Feanor 9 Sep 2012 14:16:14 14,049 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's interesting. The ads are no bother at all on my Kindle Touch e-reader, but I don't think I'd want them on a proper tablet where I have all sorts of different media content already.
  • Dougs 11 Sep 2012 09:08:43 66,589 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice, didn't realise they were re-launching the original Kindle over here - 69, perfect replacement. Not that I've tried blagging another one after mine is definitely dead.
  • monkman76 11 Sep 2012 10:11:19 3,916 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Nice, didn't realise they were re-launching the original Kindle over here - 69, perfect replacement. Not that I've tried blagging another one after mine is definitely dead.
    69, that's cheap. Tempted. So how do you search for a book without a touch screen or a keyboard?
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 11:07:48
    I am also interested in the Kindle Fire HD. Is it comparable to other, "proper" tablets, like the samsung tab etc? Is the reading quality still as good without the e-ink screen? Last question, I couldn't find the app store, is there a comic app (comixology)?
  • Rhythm 11 Sep 2012 11:14:36 2,462 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Isn't the Fire HD supposed to be a bit pony since the Nexus came along? Double the storage doesn't really make up for having a locked system that's tied to Amazon's eco-system :-/
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 11:28:43
    Just googled quicking and the Nexus looks to be nearly 100 more expensive. Also I'm guessing that you can probably put a custom firmware on the Kindle? If it's Android based, I would assume so.
  • monkman76 11 Sep 2012 11:32:54 3,916 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apostle wrote:
    Just googled quicking and the Nexus looks to be nearly 100 more expensive. Also I'm guessing that you can probably put a custom firmware on the Kindle? If it's Android based, I would assume so.
    It's not, it's the same price but with half the storage. 159 gets you 16GB on the Fire, 8GB on the Nexus. 199 gets you 32GB Fire / 16GB Nexus.
    Another way to look at it is if you want 16GB, you pay 159 for a Fire and 199 for a Nexus.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 11:49:24
    Oh sorry I read Rhythm's post the wrong way around. Yes, more storage on the Fire for the same price. Not that storage has ever really been an issue for me with devices like this, but it's nice to have.

Just watched some videos of the Kindle Fire and it looks really nice. I had a 10 inch Archos and it was a bit too big and heavy for one handed reading, on top of the fact it was god awful. The Fire seems to be lighter and with a better processor, could fit in my bag with my netbook, a good combo.
  • monkman76 11 Sep 2012 11:57:25 3,916 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Nexus makes up for less storage with a faster processor (quad-core too) and a supposedly slicker OS, I believe. Of the two I think I'd go for a Nexus.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 12:01:54
    Hmm, I'm just wondering if it's not a coincidence I couldn't find the Nexus 7 on amazon's search. It came up with a model at 260.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do a bit more researching.
  • Dougs 11 Sep 2012 12:11:59 66,589 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:

69, that's cheap. Tempted. So how do you search for a book without a touch screen or a keyboard?
    I think it brings up an onscreen keyboard. Really nice bits of kit, not really interested in the Fire - reading a natural screen is more important to me.
  • monkman76 11 Sep 2012 14:29:43 3,916 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:

I think it brings up an onscreen keyboard. Really nice bits of kit, not really interested in the Fire - reading a natural screen is more important to me.
    So it does have some touch functionality then? Hm.
  • Blerk Moderator 11 Sep 2012 15:31:44 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:

No, you navigate the on-screen keyboard with the four-way control pad thing. It's not great for heavy use but adequate for light searching, etc.
  • monkman76 11 Sep 2012 15:45:59 3,916 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:

No, you navigate the on-screen keyboard with the four-way control pad thing. It's not great for heavy use but adequate for light searching, etc.
    Ah, duh, that makes sense. It's like I've never tried to type something on a gamepad or PSP etc /o\
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Sep 2012 12:35:50 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Kindle edition of James Herbert's new book, Ash, is 20p at the minute. Likely to be a very limited offer, so don't hang about if you're interested.

Edited by Blerk at 13:36:05 12-09-2012
  • Blaizefm 12 Sep 2012 13:12:01 232 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks @Blerk - good catch!

I wonder if that's an error. I can imagine them doing a 99p solution - but 20p? Seems a little odd. Can't say I'd be happy if I was the author!
  • Kay 12 Sep 2012 13:12:22 17,757 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds intriguing. Bought.

On a related note - anyone know of any sites to track Kindle ebook price drops? Amazon itself doesn't seem to have the facility.
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Sep 2012 13:33:26 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I use eReaderIQ, which Rhythm recommended to me a while back. You can associate 'watches' with your email address and they mail you when the price changes.

Ash seems pretty good so far, although I'm not too far into it yet. Rather typically I bought it just last week when it dropped from 10.99 to 4.99. :confused:

Edit: And typically again, it seems eReaderIQ's being a bit flakey at the minute. It's usually fine, honest. :D

Edited by Blerk at 13:35:41 12-09-2012
  • damagedinc 12 Sep 2012 18:23:05 685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Looking at getting an ereader. Was looking at fire but dont like idea of reading that screen for long periods of time.

Like the look of the touch but here there is a new version on the horizon
  • delbert 12 Sep 2012 23:01:56 2,889 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Picked up Ash at that price rude not to, cheers Blerk

I use ereaderiq too, hoping for a raft of decreases when they sort out this "price fixing" malarkey, even saw talk of refunds but not 100% sure on what the ruling will cover?
  • Vice.Destroyer 13 Sep 2012 21:49:49 5,823 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Cheers chaps and yes I mean the one in Oct ;)
    If it is to be mainly used for reading, I would almost say, skip the Kindle and go for either a Nexus 7 (8GB for 159) or a Blackberry Playbook (obsolete, I know, but awesome screen and 129 for 64GB and it can read .mobi files with a downloaded app from the App World).
  • Page

of 70 First / Last