Edge vs GamesTM

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • darth_paul 4 Oct 2003 00:26:04 10 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    hei, just wanted to ask the comunity what she thinks about Edge VS GamesTM...?

Which´s the best magazine? Edge or GamesTM???

I´m asking, because here where I live, they only sell Edge, but I´ve heard great things about a mag called GamesTM. I went to Paragon´s website (publisher of GamesTM) to see if they sell any backissues via their site, but no. so, before mailing my subscription to Edge, I would like to compare Edge with GamesTM.
    If anyone can provide me with an email adress where I can order some backissues, I´d appreciate.
    I don´t know if there is one writen inside the mag; and don´t even know if they allow their readers to actually order backissues ????

please answer,
    thx

ps: anyone knows if where to get GAmesTM here in Portugal?
  • Rizo 4 Oct 2003 00:57:20 875 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rizo wrote:
    The answer to your question lies in this piece of code.

if( (maturity_level == 10) || (user == muppet) )
    {
    option = "game_tm";
    user = "kid";
    magazine = "for_idiots";
    }
    else
    {
    option = "EDGE";
    user = "Gamer";
    magazine = "for_people_who_know";
    }
  • Rizo 4 Oct 2003 00:57:38 875 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Whizzo 4 Oct 2003 01:06:25 43,358 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Best to get a copy of Games™ and see which is better for you really, I prefer the new upstart because, to me at least, they actually still enjoy games for what they are something to entertain you. They could do with some better editing though and the statement about no-one owning a Kempston joystick interface was frankly bizarre in the extreme.

Edge has become rather jaded and comes over as being full of its own self importance.

One thing that's best to ignore is pretty much anything Rizo writes because the guy's a complete tit, just do a search on the forum for plenty of examples of his stupidity.

I shall now retire from the thread to allow the inevitable comment from silentbob on the greatness of Edge...

Edited by Whizzo at 00:07:34 04-10-2003

This space left intentionally blank.

• nasanu 4 Oct 2003 02:26:28 69 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WOPR wrote:
    Games™ is more down to earth. Makes the occasional error, particularly on retro stuff

Where as EDGE NEVER makes a mistake and everything they say is ALWAYS right. Unless they said it in an issue that is exactly 5 years old.

You can sum up EDGE in the issue where they dropped the scores. The had an article where four or five people reviewed PN#3 and each gave a different score, some very low and some high. They made a good point on how different reivewers can give different scores and that no one review is 100% right. They then ended the article by saying that because they spend a few more hours reviewing games then they did in the article, their reviews are always 100% right.
  • quantumsheep 4 Oct 2003 02:30:12 3,127 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Edge is a fine mag, written by people who at least have some idea of what they're talking about.

Their reputation as 'the most respected games mag in the world' also helps. PR folk and developers love Edge as they feel it gives them some credibility. And not enough publications focus on games as 'art' or take the medium seriously.

Indeed, too many rely on big exclamation marks, front covers as free advertising, exclusives and a childish view of games.

GamesTM is kind of a half way house between Edge and a really good standard magazine. Though it shirks the childlike nature of other mags, and certainly seems to have a little more enthusiasm than Edge, it has its problems.

It's Retro section is generally pretty good, though it makes really dumb mistakes (as I think Whizzo mentioned) and the editing can sometimes be horrifically bad. Though anyone who remembers the Edge Black and White feature where every caption read 'insert caption here' or something shows that they're not the only ones.

The Edge design is generally excellent - it's certainly a beautiful looking mag, and that in itself oozes quality. GamesTM is generally ok looking but seems far too cluttered - though nowhere as bad as Gamesmaster.

So there's good and bad points to both mags. Edge was up its own arse for a long time but improved about a year and a half ago. Having competition certainly lights a rocket under your arse (unless you're Nintendo of course) and Edge has improved significantly since the young upstart came on the scene. And that can only be a good thing.
  • Whizzo 4 Oct 2003 02:35:56 43,358 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nasanu wrote:their reviews are always 100% right.
    Just a pity that's complete bollocks then really. A review, any review, is a statement of opinion about something it can't be 100% anything other than the stating of a person's opinion.

They aren't scientific experiments that can be recreated with the same result under the same conditions otherwise they would be called game laws, not reviews.

This space left intentionally blank.

• darth_paul 4 Oct 2003 02:44:02 10 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yes... thanks a lot to everyone. In the past i´ve bought a few Edge mags, and enjoyed rhem very much. now that i´m searching for a good mag to subscribe to (with a good Retro section), I wanted to compare GamesTM with Edge. But my problem is that I can´t get hold of one copy here in Portugal. I´ve allready searched the net for online-stores that sell magazines... but zip! (WH Smith posts only to the UK).

Could please someone, that has GamesTM at hand, tell me if they, somewhere inside the mag, have an email address printed of some sorts, where I can order some back-issues ?

pm
  • quantumsheep 4 Oct 2003 02:46:31 3,127 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    gamestm@cisubs.co.uk or if you fancy ringing them the number is 01454 642442

Hope that helps ;)
  • darth_paul 4 Oct 2003 16:16:29 10 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thx a lot. but is there any email to order only backissues (like in edge)?

dp
  • Deleted user 4 October 2003 16:31:43
    TBH I prefer Edge, GamesTM is still a top magazine though.
  • Dirtbox 4 Oct 2003 18:38:25 79,210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The people at Edge are a bunch of tossers, they screw writers (Jap correspondant) and publishers (VU, Eidos) over left right and center, their reviews are one of three things: Payed off sycophantic bullshit, sycophantic bullshit to make them look like they know what they're talking about or outright slatings.

I don't know why people take it seriously.

GamesTM is starting to going that way also, but their writers seem more on the ball and it has a more distinct nod to the retro side of things, which is always good.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• silentbob 4 Oct 2003 19:26:58 29,027 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alternatively you could all stop being total whinging tightarse tosspots and buy both, read them both and try to enjoy them both. If not, throw either one, or both away and never buy them again

I can't believe there are so many responses to a thread which is basically 'a vs b', something a good number of regular posters claim to despise.

Both are great, both fill a gap, both are enjoyable.

And Dirtbox, what the hell has gotten into you lately? Firstly accusing Valve of come sort of consipracy to delay their game, and now slinging shit about regarding backstabbing journalism from Edge. Time to take the X-Files DVD off of repeat when you go to bed at night methinks!

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• silentbob 4 Oct 2003 19:44:22 29,027 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nope! And incidentally I have never labelled anyone a fanboy, least of all you.

As for me and Edge, you may well be right. As far as obsession goes however, I will only respond to posts made about Edge - I have never started any threads, nor am I about to regarding it.

I will however respond to comments that are just blatently idiotic and without substance. Whether you think Edge is / was good or not, do you really believe they are taking bribes and embarking on vendettas against anyone in the industry? Or are you willing to ignore this moronic post so that you can take a dig at me? This sounds more like BGiE to me.

As you say everyone has something to say on the matter, but playing the calming influence card doesn't work when your comments are made in a way which you know may provoke a response from me ("Edge Sucks").

Edited by silentbob at 18:44:40 04-10-2003

Edited by silentbob at 18:46:02 04-10-2003

• silentbob 4 Oct 2003 21:50:30 29,027 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yay! Back to normality.

• Dirtbox 4 Oct 2003 21:55:45 79,210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    And Dirtbox, what the hell has gotten into you lately? Firstly accusing Valve of come sort of consipracy to delay their game, and now slinging shit about regarding backstabbing journalism from Edge. Time to take the X-Files DVD off of repeat when you go to bed at night methinks!
    Oh, I dunno. Maybe knowing first hand about Edge? But yeah, that was uncharacteristically harsh of me, I take half of it back.

The Valve thing was exploring every avenue. I feel really sorry for em. Check out the news item on the first page, I slogged it out for quite a while.

Edited by Dirtbox at 21:06:03 04-10-2003

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Shadrach 7 Oct 2003 12:47:40 1,878 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gamestm would be my choice at the moment. Edge has disappeared so far up their own arses recently it is'nt funny any more.
  • Machiavel 7 Oct 2003 13:04:21 5,964 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I like EDGE, the excellent design counts for a lot though. And GamesTM tries to offer more but seems less memorable once you've read it. They're both excellent compared to the dismal Offical Xbox magazine that came free with a demo disk recently... ;)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Oct 2003 13:08:52 39,782 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I read Edge every month, although I've only been buying it for the past 7 months or so. IMHO They're not too far up their own arses, if anything I'm more anal than they are in regards to games.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Blerk Moderator 7 Oct 2003 13:09:43 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes. Read the Official PS2 magazine and you'll soon come to love both Games TM and Edge as if they were the works of Shakespeare himself.

This month, OPSM2 has introduced a 'readers wives' section. FFS.
  • BartonFink 7 Oct 2003 13:16:28 35,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm Edge or GamesTM, like other people have said Edge used to be good. I still buy the odd copy every now and again. But GamesTM is now my multi format mag of choice. Love the retro section. So GamesTM all the way.
  • BartonFink 7 Oct 2003 13:18:29 35,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Yes. Read the Official PS2 magazine and you'll soon come to love both Games TM and Edge as if they were the works of Shakespeare himself.

This month, OPSM2 has introduced a 'readers wives' section. FFS.
    Absolutely awful magazine definately the worst of all the official mags out there at the moment. Even the format of the bleeding thing is tardified. Still buy it though for the discs.
  • zk 7 Oct 2003 13:33:13 142 posts
    Registered 12 years ago
    Although they are probably both targeted at the same demographic, they're very different in their approach.

I stopped reading Edge (after many years) because I found that something about their editorial style was putting me off gaming altogether.

When GamesTM came out I was drawn to their refreshing excitement and willing to overlook the occasional sloppyness of their enthusiastic style.

But Edge may be changing again. The aniversary edition of Edge was excellent. It had all the enthusiasm of the old days. It was a joy to read and I hope they keep it up.

Anyway, if you want to know more about GamesTM I'd describe it as: a magazine targeted at experienced gamers. It has the passion for gaming that Edge once had. The style, however, is closer to that of conventional games magazines.

• Spin_Dr_Wolf 13 Nov 2003 21:31:38 6,170 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Argh !

Bought a copy of Games TM today as nothing else i read seems to be out (that i haven't already read), and now i can't decide EDGE or Games TM.

I liked the jaded almost bittersweet style of EGDE, ok so they did get quite arrogant in their opinions sometimes but then again the columns were always interesting, and though prevoking or fuelling, all in a very dignified manor.

Games TM is bigger and more fractured in its presentation, but the news section at the front more interesting and thorough, with the release list being quite nice.

I don't always agree with opinions of the editorial staff of either but thats to be expected. I think the decision will come in a month or to, after Games TM has had a chance to prove itself (to me), and to see if EDGE really can survive a complete change in editorial staff.

I wait with baited breath.

/goes purple

/starts breathing again.
  • Fizzy 13 Nov 2003 23:20:22 929 posts
    Registered 13 years ago
    They should release a once a week or twice a month games magazine/newspaper. Would be much better, the only problem with the current format is that their info gets so bloody old bye the time the mags hit the shelves.
  • BartonFink 14 Nov 2003 08:06:02 35,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ted Cuntablast wrote:
    Disappointed again with GamesTM this month. But to be honest the internet has made mags almost pointless. Wow - next months GamesTM will have MKDD reviewed - it all happens too slowly in the print world compared to online.
    Too true I find myself reading the revews/previews and thinkig I have heard all this before. Retro section is still very good though.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2003 08:40:39 35,854 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Out of interest, how much is an issue of Games TM in the UK? I am asking because there's a German version now which costs EUR 8. For a bloody games mag, without a disc! The standard PC mags here come with a dual-layer 8.5 GB DVD full of demos and videos and costs about EUR 4.

As Ted said, I agree that print mags are a bit pointless nowadays, so the only reason for me are the discs anyhow, at least unless there isn't a print mag that offers something the internet doesn't.

Edited by UncleLou at 08:41:30 14-11-2003
  • ssuellid 14 Nov 2003 08:50:13 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I get Edge and GamesTM. GamesTM is probably the ugliest print mag in existance. The text is good but the way its presented is awful. I also think that GamesTM has got gradually worse since the first edition. Edge looks great but some of the material is lacking - some of the reviews are a waste of time as they are too small or too wanky- but some of the articles are excellent.

UncleLou print mags with DVDs seem to be priced anywhere between £5.99 and £7.99 - lucky you, getting them for less than half that.
  • boo 14 Nov 2003 17:31:34 11,936 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For me, Edge still 'edges' it (pun intended) over Games tm, but I gave up reading anything else long ago, mainly because I'm rapidly approaching 40 and most console specific magazines seem to be aimed at 12 year olds.
    Games could do with some tidying up, Edge has an uncluttered 'expensive' style about it (bloody well should do for £4.00), whereas Games just seems to try and pack as much as poss onto each page.

My main gripe with Edge is the proportion of reviews/previews of Japanese games that they know full well are never going to be released over here and so will be played by about three gamers in Britain. One per issue maybe, but more than that - give me something I'm likely to see. I'm as interested in importing as I am in on-line gaming, i.e. not in the slightest.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous