The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 174

• Page

of 182 First / Last

• BigOrkWaaagh 30 Aug 2014 09:12:00 2,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He was on the prelims until last night, I bet he can't believe his luck! I would love for him to somehow pull a win out of his ass because it really would send a message about basing your entire card around one fight.
  • TAJB 30 Aug 2014 12:51:47 399 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    He must be buzzing. Loads of media attention, chance at the title, probably increased his payout tenfold just by saying yes. It was never going to be the highest selling PPV in the world but this will probably be a record low for the UFC for this year. Quite dissapointing that Barao was beaten before the fight started.

PSN: Tiny_WeeMan

• mcmothercruncher 30 Aug 2014 13:05:39 7,538 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    People need to fight at a more natural weight and the reason they don't is because of the weigh in approach, as you've all said.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 30 Aug 2014 13:18:37 2,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would actually genuinely be interested to see what this chap's pay is going to be, it would be pretty funny to be picking up 8k/8k for a title fight.
  • TAJB 30 Aug 2014 19:35:56 399 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Nah he's much more likely to be on 80K than 8K. He's been bumped from prelims to title fight in the blink of an eye so he's probably gonna get a discreet bonus from Mr White for stepping up to the plate at VERY short notice. Dillashaw is gonna prove that he's a scary motherfucker tonight and I can't wait to watch.

• BigOrkWaaagh 31 Aug 2014 06:05:09 2,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well that was surprisingly not shit, a lot of good finishes in the event as a whole. The main event was much more competitive than I expected, and dare I say it, even more competitive than the Barao fight. Soto looked like he got hit with a taser for the finish though which I found highly amusing. The Correia/Baszler finish was equally strange, Baszler just stood there like a training dummy and took a pasting. Would love to see Correia fight someone ranked higher and then possibly challenge for the title, she's probably the only real threat to Rousey at the moment. I'm sure she'll get armbarred in the first, but at least they will be able to build something up.

Edited by midnight_walker at 06:46:07 31-08-2014
  • mcmothercruncher 31 Aug 2014 08:06:48 7,538 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the last "horsewoman" is probably where this game of skittles stops, great fighter though.
    Amazing performance by Soto on zero notice. Some struggle to make it to the fourth on fitness after a four month training camp...
  • Deckard1 31 Aug 2014 09:51:02 29,182 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah surprisingly decent card. Soto's reaction to the head kick was great :D

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• TAJB 31 Aug 2014 10:48:54 399 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    He was practicing the Drunken Master style.

• craigy Staff 31 Aug 2014 14:03:06 7,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dillashaw is great value for money -- that's two fifth round finishes in a row now.

Correia is a beast. Who's the third horsewoman?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 31 Aug 2014 15:04:24 2,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Correia is a beast. Who's the third horsewoman?
    Not sure but I know one of them fights at 145, so I assume that's the missing one and they won't be fighting.
  • PES_Fanboy 31 Aug 2014 17:37:52 18,437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Marina Shafir is the other horsewoman. Can I just register my bemusement at that shitty moniker, only one of them has any kind of pedigree, and only one (Duke) looks like a horse.

Going back to the point of changing the weigh-in regulations (only way they'll effect any change), 'forcing' fighters to fight closer to their walking around weight (or encouraging a healthier, long term cut and not having 200lb welterweights) would mean the UFC could call up stand-ins at late notice much more reliably.
  • craigy Staff 31 Aug 2014 19:49:26 7,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think cutting will be around for quite a while -- seems like a permanent hangover from the American wrestling mentality.
  • PES_Fanboy 31 Aug 2014 20:21:28 18,437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah and like I said, the UFC would need to put any changes into blanket effect and then you'd have to reshuffle the divisions and championships and it'd be a giant clusterfuck.

But it is one of their own making, and it will continue to be a dangerous incentive (actually a necessity now) to fighters and will mean more main event spoilage.
  • mcmothercruncher 31 Aug 2014 21:30:44 7,538 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    True enough- injures have spoilt many a card, but I'd guess missed weight cuts are right up there too. It is absolutely crazy to dehydrate yourself and, you know, that cushion-y bag of fluid around your brain only to then get repeatedly thumped there by a trained puncher-er.

In other news someone posted elsewhere that Beth Correia looks like Javier Bardem and now, nice bottom aside, I can't unsee it :-(
  • TAJB 1 Sep 2014 11:08:55 399 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I always thought Correia looked like a dude in drag when she wears makeup. I think she looks more feminine when she fights.

• TAJB 5 Sep 2014 12:30:02 399 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Anybody watching the Fight Night 50 card tonight with Jacare vs Moussasi?

• craigy Staff 5 Sep 2014 13:29:45 7,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lauzon vs Chiesa is gonna be ace. Hoping Reem can win again.
  • TAJB 5 Sep 2014 13:55:13 399 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Reem needs to stop hurting guys outside of the octagon to be honest. If you believe what everyone says then he is the reason Jones and Cormier was postponed.

Gonna be a good card. Much better than everyone expected 177 to be. 177 was a pleasant surprise considering how many people were bashing the card for being weak and having no fun fights

• BigOrkWaaagh 6 Sep 2014 07:28:39 2,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    177 turned out to be fun but really, that card should have been a fight night, and this one should have been a PPV. I'm amazed how this fight night was stacked from top to bottom and 177 was full of near nobodies.

Anyway, what an event! I don't know what's next for Overeem now, in the UFC his only wins have come from a half dead Brock Lesnar by basically shoving his finger in a bullet wound, and a decision against a well past his prime Frank Mir. He's either getting cut, or he's going to be on permanent gatekeeper duty. Jacare has to be next in line for a title shot after Belfort, he completely dominated Moussassi and I think a fight against Weidman would be a lot of fun. Joe Lauson did great, Chiesa can bitch all he likes but that was one of the most disgusting cuts I've ever seen and it wasn't going to get any better. It was definitely the right call, and I think Lauzon would have won if the fight had continued anyway. Congrats to Matt Mitrione aswell, I don't know who the Black Beast was or why Matt got so 'hood' on him, but it was a nice addition to the highlight reel. It looked a little like Lewis was protesting the stoppage though, which I found utterly bizarre.
  • mcmothercruncher 6 Sep 2014 07:50:53 7,538 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've only caught the highlight fights, but, boy, I wish I'd put a bet on.

Saw a twitter comment of:

"Alistair Overeem has now been knocked out 9 times in MMA -- more than every other fighter in the UFC."

Not sure about that at all, but he has to be considered a wash-out now (sorry Craigy), surely?
    I don't believe in the chin nonsense, even a tiny chin on a tiny horse meat head- his issue is about how the brain becomes ever easier to shock with multiple head injuries and, in MMA, he's had WAY more than he should have. I think they'll give him one more fight which he'll have to win.
  • Deckard1 6 Sep 2014 10:23:39 29,182 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I could knock Overeem out. It's unbelievable how open he leaves himself.

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• mcmothercruncher 6 Sep 2014 13:05:24 7,538 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Definitely, all those stories about him beasting people in the gym, I thinks he takes that false confidence into the octagon with him. Everyone knows Rothwell hits extremely hard and yet he's lumbering around with his hands down... bizarre.

Watched the Lauzon/Chiesa fight, wow, what a scrap, such a shame about the cut.
  • craigy Staff 10 Sep 2014 09:41:04 7,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I told you guys Lauzon/Chiesa would be ace :D

Reem off the juice is terrible. They really should give him a juice exemption.
  • TAJB 11 Sep 2014 08:15:59 399 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Chiesa's eyebrow was a mess. I could've swam laps in that gash.

I had no idea about Lauzon's little lad Joey having cancer and stuff. Rough start for that kid. Got his dads fighting spirit I guess!

• Bahamafish 11 Sep 2014 19:40:51 379 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    damn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ytOGAweAM
  • craigy Staff 11 Sep 2014 19:48:32 7,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hah! He uses the talk as motivation, but it seems like most of his opponents haven't figured that out yet.
  • Bahamafish 11 Sep 2014 20:09:04 379 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    so does Rockhold on twitter, but he seems uncomfortable in these situations.

It's funny how neither of them can name who they KO'ed, haha.
  • Bahamafish 11 Sep 2014 20:17:43 379 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    this should be good
  • PES_Fanboy 11 Sep 2014 20:35:05 18,437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    God Bisping is such a prick
  • Page

of 182 First / Last