Al Pacino - yay or nay? Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Latin 7 Aug 2006 17:05:01 3,616 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    marilena wrote:
    Latin, I'm sorry, but we have different definitions for variation. This is variation. I don't know if you like or dislike Pitt, anyway, don't take that into account, just take a look at how different his roles are in films like Twelve Monkeys, Snatch, Fight Club, Thelma and Luise etc.

Granted there's some more varied roles, but he's a bit of a shit actor, as in his acting is a bit poo, I would much rather watch Al Pacino shout really really well than Brad Pitt doing lots of different things quite badly.

Although to be fair I don't think Pitt is that bad, actually he's fairly good but in no way does his acting compare to Pacino's.
  • repairmanjack 7 Aug 2006 17:08:24 6,024 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote: Insider was/is a brilliant movie

Couldn't agree more. Everyone else I know hated it though.
  • Spanky 7 Aug 2006 17:20:48 14,481 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pitts stoner dude in True Romance knocks anything Pacino has done into a hat full of cock. ;)

/goes back under bridge
    /sticks head out
    Johnny Suede! Johnny Suede!

Plubs

• GingerMagician 7 Aug 2006 17:44:14 3,012 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Haven't heard anyone mention Carlito's Way yet.

Love that film and think Pacino's pretty good in it - though Penn upstages him pretty comprehensively.
  • kalel 7 Aug 2006 17:51:47 87,136 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GingerMagician wrote:
    Haven't heard anyone mention Carlito's Way yet.

Love that film and think Pacino's pretty good in it - though Penn upstages him pretty comprehensively.

Nah, had some ok scenes, but thought Carlito's Way was a shadow of Scarface, the film it was supposedly a spiritual sequel too. Plus he's WELL shouty in it.

Don't even get me STARTED on whatever happened to Brian De Palma...sheeesh!
  • cubbymoore 7 Aug 2006 18:03:32 36,488 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well there goes my credibility. I don't know anything about acting.
  • morriss 7 Aug 2006 18:05:39 70,947 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Heat=Shit. We agree. The Insider though, too wordy for ya was it? No enough helicopters? Too 'close' subject matter?

Seriously though. Insider was/is a brilliant movie, from the Direction through to the music. (has soundtrack)

Heat = one of the best action movies since the 70ies.

Well Lou as this is you making this statement I will say I only saw the film at the time of release and I thought it was 'ok'. I haven't seen it since, however. So I'll retract ny statement....for now. :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 7 Aug 2006 18:05:46 35,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PS2 is the greatest console the world has ever know. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know jack shit about gaming.

Suddenly sounds like blinkered fanboy gibberish, eh? ;p
  • morriss 7 Aug 2006 18:08:44 70,947 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The man has a point.
  • UncleLou Moderator 7 Aug 2006 18:12:48 35,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Heat=Shit. We agree. The Insider though, too wordy for ya was it? No enough helicopters? Too 'close' subject matter?

Seriously though. Insider was/is a brilliant movie, from the Direction through to the music. (has soundtrack)

Well Lou as this is you making this statement I will say I only saw the film at the time of release and I thought it was 'ok'. I haven't seen it since, however. So I'll retract ny statement....for now. :)

/honoured

I really love the film - you could argue that it has a few lengths, but it's a film that, as opposed to the usual special effect fireworks of the 80ies and 90ies, follows the tradition of more "realistic", gritty films like Bullitt or French Connection, which is the tradition in which I would firmly place it.

Of course, DeNiro and Pacino will never be as good as Hackman or as cool as McQueen (Hehe), but they're good, very good. Wonderful cinematography, too, and the best shootout in any film ever. :)
  • afray 7 Aug 2006 18:36:57 2,251 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:

Hehe, wait till you get me started on Heat. Jesus Christ just thinking about it makes...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

\ignore

Christ, wronger than a tuna and jam sandwich.

Pacino, when he's good, is great. Same with De Niro. When they're bad, they're aweful. But it hasn't been continously one or 't other, they both fluctuate. A lot.

• THFourteen 7 Aug 2006 18:37:54 33,260 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One of my favourite actors Al Pacino.

I like his acting style.

Him and Mel Gibson ftw!

• afray 7 Aug 2006 18:38:36 2,251 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:

You are so wrong.

Not since the 70s, since FOR EVER. :-)
  • afray 7 Aug 2006 18:43:56 2,251 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:Wonderful cinematography, too, and the best shootout in any film ever. :)

This is why you can watch Heat over and over again. You can just wallow in the framing of the shots, the electricity in the performances, the sub plots and themes you can pick out over time, etc. I don't just love that film, I love watching that film.
  • BlindDumbDeaf 7 Aug 2006 19:31:51 206 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Al was fantastic in Stella Street. John Hurt ran him pretty close though.
  • Stormflood 7 Aug 2006 19:32:26 2,263 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Damn, now I have to go and rent Heat again....
  • morriss 7 Aug 2006 19:33:51 70,947 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BlindDumbDeaf wrote:
    Al was fantastic in Stella Street. John Hurt ran him pretty close though.

heh. Woooh Mike.

(you're back btw)
  • Dirtbox 7 Aug 2006 19:40:52 77,756 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Chinese Coffee is a great film if you want to see him back on his old form. It's pretty recent and it's basically him and Jerry Orbach for the whole thing. IMDB

Edited by Dirtbox at 19:41:08 07-08-2006

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• silentbob 7 Aug 2006 19:44:46 28,958 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Of course, DeNiro and Pacino will never be as good as Hackman or as cool as McQueen (Hehe), but they're good, very good. Wonderful cinematography, too, and the best shootout in any film ever. :)
    Yes yes yes. Utterly perfect. The sense of palpable tension when I saw that in the cinema was incredible. No score, save for the final few seconds - just a sort of mesmerising cacophony of gunfire. Utter brilliance!

Oh and the sound mix is seoncd to none too, but this IS Michael Mann. :)

Edit: Forgot to mention that hos best performance was Scent of a Woman by a acountry mile. Since then (and including Heat) he has slipped into shouty dwarf territory a little too often for my liking.

Edited by silentbob at 19:47:02 07-08-2006

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• BlindDumbDeaf 7 Aug 2006 19:46:03 206 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeh. Been stuck in a nest of corporate vipers and a quagmire of HR issues within a myriad of controversy.
  • polar 8 Aug 2006 01:16:28 1,098 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hoooaahhh! for Pacino, the man's an acting legend. Heat is one of my favourite films of the 90's. As mentioned already he was good in Scent of a Woman, Insomnia, Insider and Glengarry Glenross. Everyone has their off days and he does shout excessively, but for me, Pacino has been the most consistently good actor of his generation - he's been in so many great films.

The very notion that Brad Pitt is better than Pacino is laughable - I hated his performance in 12 monkeys, so OTT and unbelievable.

• pistol 8 Aug 2006 08:43:45 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Latin wrote:
    marilena wrote:
    Latin, I'm sorry, but we have different definitions for variation. This is variation. I don't know if you like or dislike Pitt, anyway, don't take that into account, just take a look at how different his roles are in films like Twelve Monkeys, Snatch, Fight Club, Thelma and Luise etc.

Granted there's some more varied roles, but he's a bit of a shit actor, as in his acting is a bit poo, I would much rather watch Al Pacino shout really really well than Brad Pitt doing lots of different things quite badly.

Although to be fair I don't think Pitt is that bad, actually he's fairly good but in no way does his acting compare to Pacino's.

Is it my imagination or does the 2nd paragraph pretty much contradict the first? ;-)

Anybody see Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon? I really like that film.

Edited by pistol at 08:48:13 08-08-2006
  • Youthist 8 Aug 2006 08:49:33 10,011 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stormflood wrote:

There is talk of some of Miami Vice being up there with the best action scenes in Heat....

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• morriss 8 Aug 2006 10:07:49 70,947 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BlindDumbDeaf wrote:
    Yeh. Been stuck in a nest of corporate vipers and a quagmire of HR issues within a myriad of controversy.

Nothing new then, I see! :)
  • kincaide 8 Aug 2006 10:10:33 5,067 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    Pitts stoner dude in True Romance knocks anything Pacino has done into a hat full of cock. ;)

/goes back under bridge
    /sticks head out
    Johnny Suede! Johnny Suede!

Can you get some cleaning products?
  • mr-rick 8 Aug 2006 10:13:49 1,044 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Stormflood wrote:

There is talk of some of Miami Vice being up there with the best action scenes in Heat....

surely not from anyone who's actually seen it though?

Actually the action is okay but you don't really care about it as the characters and acting is so rubbish, unlike in heat where you have a real emotional involvement with all those crazy gun-wielding loons.
  • kincaide 8 Aug 2006 10:15:36 5,067 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    polar wrote:
    The very notion that Brad Pitt is better than Pacino is laughable - I hated his performance in 12 monkeys, so OTT and unbelievable.

Unbelievable? 12 monkeys was hardly a gritty cinema verite...
  • Latin 8 Aug 2006 10:19:05 3,616 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mr rick wrote:
    Youthist wrote:
    Stormflood wrote:

surely not from anyone who's actually seen it though?

Actually the action is okay but you don't really care about it as the characters and acting is so rubbish, unlike in heat where you have a real emotional involvement with all those crazy gun-wielding loons.

Miami Vice was shite, everyone mumbled their lines, the story was shite, Colin Drunk Twat was emotionless, their was no chemistry with between the actors which was especially evident in any sex scenes. It was 2 hours of crap before a decent shoot out, not worth the effort.
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Aug 2006 10:19:49 35,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 4 First / Last