The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 58

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• khaz 18 Feb 2013 21:38:50 2,790 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wtf, triple post?

Godamn ipad, NO YOU CANNOT CAPITALISE THE P IN IPAD APPLE!

Edited by khaz at 23:01:29 18-02-2013
  • khaz 18 Feb 2013 21:40:08 2,790 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • nickthegun 18 Feb 2013 22:25:28 60,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Animal man and swamp thing are actually pretty good. They have their own, separate little world off from the rest of the titles.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• khaz 18 Feb 2013 23:03:57 2,790 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmm really? I haven't checked them out yet, will do.
  • morriss 21 Feb 2013 14:31:11 71,034 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Me too, flown over for it from DK. Brought some comics in the hope they will be signed.
  • morriss 21 Feb 2013 21:36:23 71,034 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No, my first year. I've got DKR 1-4 for Klaus Janson, Killing Joke for Bolland (all first prints) and some old Detective Comics for Alan Grant (Rat Catcher is one). Gonna buy the Superior Spidey exclusive and get it signed by Slott too.
  • morriss 23 Feb 2013 18:58:25 71,034 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://twitter.com/MikeJBowden/status/305366684846419968/photo/1

Happy man.
  • LockeTribal 25 Feb 2013 13:51:10 4,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Might be an odd question but how much, on average, do sketches and the like generally cost at these things? Only ever been to the 2D Festival in Derry where the artists and writers don't ask for payment.
  • senso-ji 25 Feb 2013 14:51:28 5,921 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @LockeTribal

I've been to some conventions where artists charge around 5-20 per sketch, but a lot of them will draw for free.

I've heard that at US conventions, the going rate is $50-$100.
  • morriss 25 Feb 2013 16:31:15 71,034 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Klaus Janson charged me 20 for that - took him 20 mins.

Brian Bolland was charging 100+, but they were proper finished sketches that took perhaps an hour a piece.

Neil Adams was fleecing people with 10 A FUCKING signature. 20 a FUCKING PHOTO and 150 a sketch.
  • nickthegun 25 Feb 2013 16:37:35 60,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its why I find these kinds of things a bit hard to swallow, same with sci-fi cons.

I know they have to make a living and all that but having your heroes sat around charging 20 just to say hello doesnt really sit right with me.

• LockeTribal 25 Feb 2013 16:42:11 4,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers folks! Just interested to see what the going rate was. I find it incredible that Neil Adams is asking 20 a photo though, that's just bat-shit mental.

I was really impressed with the 2d festival last year, very good of the artists especially not to be charging for sketches (although it does mean you can be queueing a good long time to get anything). I was stupid enough not to bring anything along with me for signing last year but I'll rectify that this year.

Those that went (Morriss, SambaApe, anyone else?) were you impressed with the London Comic Con? Much queueing involved?
  • morriss 25 Feb 2013 16:44:02 71,034 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He was the only one, tbf. But your point stands all the same. There was an "official signing" hour, where Adams signed for free, but other than that, a tenner, yeah. Outrageous.

As an aside, Bolland also signed my Killing Joke, which was nice.
  • morriss 25 Feb 2013 16:46:48 71,034 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LockeTribal wrote:
    Cheers folks! Just interested to see what the going rate was. I find it incredible that Neil Adams is asking 20 a photo though, that's just bat-shit mental.

I was really impressed with the 2d festival last year, very good of the artists especially not to be charging for sketches (although it does mean you can be queueing a good long time to get anything). I was stupid enough not to bring anything along with me for signing last year but I'll rectify that this year.

Those that went (Morriss, SambaApe, anyone else?) were you impressed with the London Comic Con? Much queueing involved?
    Lots of queuing as many were doing sketches for people. Pro Tip: buy they 25 30 mins early entry fee, choose the top artist you want to see, maybe top two, save some money, get there early, and you'll walk right through. That's if you want a sketch.

I waited 2 mins for Alan Grant's signature. He's a top bloke. He told me that him and Breyfogle are teaming up again late this year. Doing some more Batman. That Detective run they did was pretty much the Golden Era for me, so I'm well happy.
  • caligari 25 Feb 2013 18:11:39 17,061 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A friend bought the first five volumes of Death Note for me at Christmas - I didn't think that it was going to be my type of 'thing', but so far I'm really enjoying it.

I'm guessing that's as profound/controversial as saying 'Akira is good, isn't it?', but I really thought that I was completely Manga-ed out.
  • senso-ji 25 Feb 2013 22:35:20 5,921 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Neil Adams was fleecing people with 10 A FUCKING signature. 20 a FUCKING PHOTO and 150 a sketch.
    I heard a rumour that last year's SDCC, Adams was charging $600 for a portfolio review. However, the two people that apparently took him up on that offer spent 4 hours with Neil who went over their work in minute detail, giving them lots of valuable advice and tips on being a better artist and breaking into the industry.
  • Spanky 25 Feb 2013 22:57:29 14,507 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd happily spend that kind of money to get my stuff destroyed by Neal Adams. I got some original Adam Hughes doodles of batman, martian manhunter, superman and the joker for free back in about 93, that doesn't happen anymore.

Plubs

• khaz 26 Feb 2013 11:40:24 2,790 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    A friend bought the first five volumes of Death Note for me at Christmas - I didn't think that it was going to be my type of 'thing', but so far I'm really enjoying it.

I'm guessing that's as profound/controversial as saying 'Akira is good, isn't it?', but I really thought that I was completely Manga-ed out.
    Death note is simply a fantastic story. Being a manga/comics fan has nothing to do with it. Its a great concept, beautifully drawn and well executed. L is quite possibly among my favourite characters in anything ever.
  • damagedinc 27 Feb 2013 00:40:14 787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    General question. ive been following saga. brilliant comic, i have vol 1 trade and been getting first prints since #7.

do collections of this kind of series say from #1 alll first prints prove a wise investment or is it not worth it?

obv depends on success of series, film/tv adaptions etc etc
  • khaz 27 Feb 2013 08:50:12 2,790 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That depends entirely on how nerdy you are about things like this. I'm a hardcore TPB/collection person. Single issues irritate the crap out of me and stopped bothering with them years ago.
  • nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 08:52:52 60,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unless you are very lucky to get in with an indie gem on the ground floor, it really isnt worth collecting comics with an eye for them to grow in value.

I made a load of money in the early 90s, selling the likes of Gen 13 number one but I doubt that would ever happen again.

• opalw00t 27 Feb 2013 09:45:57 11,141 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I work with a guy that makes a decent amount of money on the side in comics trading, but it's almost entirely original artwork and comissions. He occasionally spots a good deal for the occasional single, but he says it's not worth it for the time it takes.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 09:50:13 60,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Theres no money in it because comics arent popular enough and everyone does it.

Its back in the mists of time but I remember a load of my mates being pissed off that they couldnt sell the unopened Death of Superman issue back to the comic shop for 100 a shot like it said in Wizard.

• damagedinc 27 Feb 2013 10:15:02 787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cheers for feedback, agree with preferring TPB but due to following saga from the beginning was wondering if it was worth it.

some issues going for a bit on ebay but seems it is fairly fruitless. saying that though the walking dead #1 seems to fetch a fair bit.

anyone pick up Snapshot? was very impressed. going off 'superhero' comics and nice to read something fresh. still trying to fill the void that Y the last man and Preacher have left.
  • sport 27 Feb 2013 14:38:05 12,758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shit, my 5 year old is gonna be devastated (not that he actively reads DC comics but Robin is his favourite super hero by far - more Teen Titans Robin though).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/feb/27/batman-inc-kills-robin-dc-comics

RIP
  • opalw00t 27 Feb 2013 14:42:56 11,141 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    IIRC the original plan was to kill him off 4 issues after he appeared.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Page

of 66 First / Last