Super Mario Galaxy

  • Page

    of 126 First / Last

    Previous
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 9 May 2006 22:15:36 7,008 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just watching the E3 Nintendo conference again and I'm more and more impressed with Super Mario Galaxy even though it's a very small snippet of footage.

    It looks lovely and the settings seem really wonderful, diverse and challenging.

    Anyone found any hands-on or media?
  • Toonster 9 May 2006 22:22:21 6,842 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It looked fantastic after I watched the trailers on IGN. The fact that it's set in space provides tons of possibilities, with platforming, the Mario genre and the controller.

    3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

  • RabidMonkey 9 May 2006 22:26:02 691 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    It reminds me of those spherical puzzle bits from the Ratchet and Clank games. It looked nice, but I doubt its gameplay will provide enough substance for more discerning gamers tastes.
  • spazmo 9 May 2006 22:26:31 2,764 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It does look fab, but i was a bit dissapointed it was'nt featured a bit more.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 9 May 2006 22:27:12 10,854 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hope you can do acrobatics with the remote whilst jumping in a very low grav atmosphere! Looks like a nice "1 up" from Sunshine :o)
  • terminalterror 9 May 2006 22:27:30 18,937 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I loved Sunshine, particularly the pure platforming fluddless bits, and this looks like they've taken those bits and really run with it. It looks awesome.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 9 May 2006 22:29:44 7,008 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RabidMonkey wrote:
    It reminds me of those spherical puzzle bits from the Ratchet and Clank games. It looked nice, but I doubt its gameplay will provide enough substance for more discerning gamers tastes.

    Why do you think that? I think it's almost impossible to tell the difficulty level from that trailer.
  • timmyc 9 May 2006 22:30:37 382 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can anyone give me a good link where I can dowload the full Ninty conference?
  • ElectricDemon 9 May 2006 22:31:38 2,417 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think one of the uses for the "sleeping" element of Wii could be that every now and then, the developers could create new levels like the old-school parts in Sunshine, that discreetly download to the Wii, ready to play when you next switch on.

    I loved those bits in Sunshine, so to have more of them would be great.
  • spazmo 9 May 2006 22:34:05 2,764 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ElectricDemon wrote:
    I think one of the uses for the "sleeping" element of Wii could be that every now and then, the developers could create new levels like the old-school parts in Sunshine, that discreetly download to the Wii, ready to play when you next switch on.

    I loved those bits in Sunshine, so to have more of them would be great.

    It's made for games like Animal Crossing
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 9 May 2006 22:36:34 7,008 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    timmyc wrote:
    Can anyone give me a good link where I can dowload the full Ninty conference?

    Gamespot have a version that you can stream.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 9 May 2006 22:39:51 10,854 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:

    Short Video
    Erm, that be Super Paper Mario you're linkin' there fella... :o)
  • ekko 9 May 2006 22:41:21 904 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    I loved Sunshine, particularly the pure platforming fluddless bits, and this looks like they've taken those bits and really run with it. It looks awesome.

    Exactly. Sadly they're were never enough. I thought the pre-Bowser platform bits in Mario64 were also the most exciting bits too.

    If Nintendo ever get bored, I wouldn't mind seeing a game with just those pure platforming bits in - They did a Super Mario Bros - The Lost Levels so maybe they could do a sort of 3D version of that with just some classic pure platforming action.
  • spazmo 9 May 2006 22:42:54 2,764 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    timmyc wrote:
    Can anyone give me a good link where I can dowload the full Ninty conference?

    Gamespot have a version that you can stream.

    I'm downloading from there but it's very slow.
  • terminalterror 9 May 2006 22:45:23 18,937 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Nintendo website says it'll have a downloadable version of the full conference up soon.
  • RabidMonkey 9 May 2006 22:47:43 691 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    Why do you think that? I think it's almost impossible to tell the difficulty level from that trailer.
    Both the aforementioned SMS and the over-hyped, forever delayed Kameo demonstrate just how tedious a whole game based upon one sole gimmick can be. It may be alright in short bursts, but extensive play will probably turn out to be quite repetitious.

    Personally I think it would be better off as a mini-game in another title rather than a full game.

    Edited by RabidMonkey at 22:50:24 09-05-2006
  • terminalterror 9 May 2006 22:54:43 18,937 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RabidMonkey wrote:
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    Why do you think that? I think it's almost impossible to tell the difficulty level from that trailer.
    Both the aforementioned SMS and the over-hyped, forever delayed Kameo demonstrate just how tedious a whole game based upon one sole gimmick can be. It may be alright in short bursts, but extensive play will probably turn out to be quite repetitious.

    Personally I think it would be better off as a mini-game in another title rather than a full game.


    SMS was a fantastic game and plenty challenging enough for me, and kept me plenty occupied.
  • ProfessorLesser 9 May 2006 23:36:23 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Presumably this is finally the end product of the Mario 128 saga?
  • Blerk Moderator 9 May 2006 23:37:49 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Super Mehrio. :-)
  • ProfessorLesser 9 May 2006 23:39:29 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Missed you, Blerk!

    /hugs
  • Blerk Moderator 9 May 2006 23:51:06 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks man. I'm in a stinky mood! :-D
  • spazmo 10 May 2006 09:24:08 2,764 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apparently, Galaxy will be playable on the showfloor so we should get some impressions. Also, Duck Hunt will be revealed too. DUCK HUNT!!
  • SirScratchalot 10 May 2006 09:26:52 7,872 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spazmo wrote:
    Apparently, Galaxy will be playable on the showfloor so we should get some impressions. Also, Duck Hunt will be revealed too. DUCK HUNT!!

    Fuck yes! I hope itīs just virtual console Zapper emulation though.
  • The_Aardvark 10 May 2006 10:31:26 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RabidMonkey wrote:
    It reminds me of those spherical puzzle bits from the Ratchet and Clank games. It looked nice, but I doubt its gameplay will provide enough substance for more discerning gamers tastes.

    The Mario games have been head and shoulders above most other platformers in terms of their mechanics, not to mention rock-hard.

    The tendency is to write off the Mario games as simplistic because their IP is so familiar but, as far as I'm concerned they are all kind of genius gameplay wise.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 May 2006 11:24:59 7,008 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The_Aardvark wrote:
    RabidMonkey wrote:
    It reminds me of those spherical puzzle bits from the Ratchet and Clank games. It looked nice, but I doubt its gameplay will provide enough substance for more discerning gamers tastes.

    The Mario games have been head and shoulders above most other platformers in terms of their mechanics, not to mention rock-hard.

    The tendency is to write off the Mario games as simplistic because their IP is so familiar but, as far as I'm concerned they are all kind of genius gameplay wise.

    Exactly. Also people tend to forget about the depth of Mario games. Yes they are platformers and yes you can (usually) complete them relatively quickly, but there's always lots of hidden areas and levels, little tricks and unlockables that make them a much richer experience than many of your standard platforms.

    I'm very optimistic about this Mario. Here's hoping it's easy to pick up, impossible to put down and hard to master.
  • megastar 10 May 2006 11:53:26 17,176 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I find, if it says the word "Mario" anywhere on the box - then thats an official stamp of pure quality.

    Mario Games Kick ass - end of!
  • terminalterror 10 May 2006 11:57:06 18,937 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    megastar wrote:
    I find, if it says the word "Mario" anywhere on the box - then thats an official stamp of pure quality.

    Mario Games Kick ass - end of!

    Mario Party?

    I see what you mean. Generally, Mario games are superb.
  • megastar 10 May 2006 12:03:26 17,176 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    megastar wrote:
    I find, if it says the word "Mario" anywhere on the box - then thats an official stamp of pure quality.

    Mario Games Kick ass - end of!

    Mario Party?

    I see what you mean. Generally, Mario games are superb.

    Heh. I did actually think of Mario Party as I was typing (and Super Mario Bros 2) but I was hoping that no-one would call me out on it. :)

    Edited by megastar at 12:04:04 10-05-2006
  • terminalterror 10 May 2006 12:07:54 18,937 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    megastar wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    megastar wrote:
    I find, if it says the word "Mario" anywhere on the box - then thats an official stamp of pure quality.

    Mario Games Kick ass - end of!

    Mario Party?

    I see what you mean. Generally, Mario games are superb.

    Heh. I did actually think of Mario Party as I was typing (and Super Mario Bros 2) but I was hoping that no-one would call me out on it. :)

    If you consider how many Mario games there are, he's got quite a damn good great game to mediocre ratio.
  • megastar 10 May 2006 12:09:09 17,176 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:

    I liked SMB2 actually..

    I never thought it was a 'Bad' game, just found the digging up plants stuff a bit disapointing after the stellar gameplay of the original mario.

    Edited by megastar at 12:09:59 10-05-2006
  • Page

    of 126 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply