McDonalds Monopoly Page 4

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• deem 22 Apr 2008 20:13:06 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    Look, I'll explain it in simple layman's terms.

Say they had a contest where they put 200,000 red balls and five white balls into a sack, and you paid a fiver to draw two which you could keep and store.

If, to collect the first prize, you had to collect three red balls and one white ball, if you drew a white and a red, you wouldn't run around to everyone saying you'll split the prize with them if they give you their red balls.

Likewise, if you draw two reds, you wouldn't swap them for two other reds.

If you take this scenario and overlay it onto the McDonald's game, all non-rare stations are red balls. They're worthless, utterly worthless, without that elusive white ball. They're also extremely easy to obtain by themselves.

Swapping these easy-to-obtain, worthless tokens around is futile.

I understand your point, it's just seems to be very strangely timed, as the person a few posts above, needs Kings Cross to complete his set of stations to win, and I got Kings Cross today.

So there obviously is a point to swapping.

You kind of just stated the obvious, in a very long winded way. Anyone with half a brain knows it's not worth swapping the properties that are 10 a penny.
  • ecureuil 22 Apr 2008 20:16:21 76,664 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    Look, I'll explain it in simple layman's terms.

Say they had a contest where they put 200,000 red balls and five white balls into a sack, and you paid a fiver to draw two which you could keep and store.

If, to collect the first prize, you had to collect three red balls and one white ball, if you drew a white and a red, you wouldn't run around to everyone saying you'll split the prize with them if they give you their red balls.

Likewise, if you draw two reds, you wouldn't swap them for two other reds.

If you take this scenario and overlay it onto the McDonald's game, all non-rare stations are red balls. They're worthless, utterly worthless, without that elusive white ball. They're also extremely easy to obtain by themselves.

Swapping these easy-to-obtain, worthless tokens around is futile.

I don't know why people don't realise that this is as big of a scam as any other promotions. McDonalds really do have a lot of people duped.
  • Load_2.0 22 Apr 2008 20:27:04 19,116 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What?

Why does everyone feel the need to point out the odds. Everyone is blatantly aware of the fact that there are rare tickets and common tickets. It is common knowledge.

Nor do you have to purchase these tickets separately from the meal, so I don't see how it can be called a scam.

Simple fact is, if you are collect a rare ticket you still need to pick up the rest of the set. Whilst there are thousands and thousands of these common tickets there are 20 plus possible locations and you may never pick up the full set. Unless you trade or buy from someone off the internet.

• ecureuil 22 Apr 2008 20:31:12 76,664 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not a scam per se, but they have people thinking they have a reasonable chance of winning, when it's really just as hard to win as any other similar promotions. Swapping is absolutely pointless, because if you have a rare ticket then you can just obtain the common ones needed on your own because they really are that common.
  • deem 22 Apr 2008 20:33:30 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    It's not a scam per se, but they have people thinking they have a reasonable chance of winning, when it's really just as hard to win as any other similar promotions. Swapping is absolutely pointless, because if you have a rare ticket then you can just obtain the common ones needed on your own because they really are that common.

So we have now established it's a competition, exactly the same as any other.

Thank fuck for that.
  • Load_2.0 22 Apr 2008 20:35:09 19,116 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think they are that easily obtained though, not when you have 20+ locations plus railway stations and utilities. Why spend lots of money at Macca's looking for a specific ticket? When you can swap.
  • ecureuil 22 Apr 2008 20:38:15 76,664 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    I don't think they are that easily obtained though, not when you have 20+ locations plus railway stations and utilities. Why spend lots of money at Macca's looking for a specific ticket? When you can swap.

Because the non-rare tickets are completely worthless.
  • deem 22 Apr 2008 20:39:57 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rooney wrote:
    I doubt he does, very much....

He does, we've PM'd and I'm sending him it, because I'm nice like that.

You really are paranoid of the internets aren't you!

FAKE!
  • ecureuil 22 Apr 2008 20:43:45 76,664 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's like when they run promotions where you need to find a certain single ticket to win something.

Only by making you collect multiple tickets, when two of them are easy to get, it makes people think that they're in with half a chance of winning, when really they're just as far away as if it was just a single ticket. It's a really really good promotion though, cause they have tons of people rushing back, thinking they're going to win.
  • deem 22 Apr 2008 20:56:58 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    It's like when they run promotions where you need to find a certain single ticket to win something.

Only by making you collect multiple tickets, when two of them are easy to get, it makes people think that they're in with half a chance of winning, when really they're just as far away as if it was just a single ticket. It's a really really good promotion though, cause they have tons of people rushing back, thinking they're going to win.

But that's just really fucking stupid people. The sort that play the lottery on a weekly basis.

@ Rooney - I also have Liverpool Street - it isn't rare as far as I know.
  • ecureuil 22 Apr 2008 20:57:47 76,664 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got two of the stations in one meal.
  • deem 22 Apr 2008 21:01:45 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :)
  • Deleted user 22 April 2008 21:43:49
    deem wrote:
    I understand your point, it's just seems to be very strangely timed, as the person a few posts above, needs Kings Cross to complete his set of stations to win, and I got Kings Cross today.

So there obviously is a point to swapping.

Not to belabour the point, but he also needed Liverpool Street, which is the rare one.

EDIT: I see that's already been pointed out. Disregard.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • wellsie 9 Apr 2009 22:22:37 87 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    just got OLD KENT ROAD and WHITECHAPEL ROAD no joke!

btw its easy to check if you have a rare sticker it has a phone number on to claim the prize
  • GuiltySpark 9 Apr 2009 22:40:18 6,355 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ha, I can't believe how much Gremmi had to argue his point in this thread. He was blatently right.

Get bent.

• deem 9 Apr 2009 23:16:59 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wasnt
  • Lutz 19 Apr 2009 20:53:01 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do you know, due to my very obvious joking post of "I've got Mayfair" I've actually had 2 PMs from people with Park Lane wanting to split the cash? Serious PMs too.

Dicks.
  • hypersp 20 Apr 2009 09:55:58 110 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    just worked out how long macdonalds have been doing this monopoly thing for, 3 years! i hate it, all of a sudden my macdonalds intake goes through the roof :(
  • Lutz 20 Apr 2009 10:05:24 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Now got 3 people.

Are people really that stupid?
  • evilashchris 20 Apr 2009 10:09:38 6,970 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How long have you been a mod for now? :D

Twitter: @COToole

• hypersp 20 Apr 2009 10:53:49 110 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lutz wrote:
    Now got 3 people.

Are people really that stupid?

lolollsoslosloslsol lets split the money i have park lane ! loloslsolso
  • RedboX 20 Apr 2009 10:57:43 2,431 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    hypersp wrote:
    just worked out how long macdonalds have been doing this monopoly thing for, 3 years! i hate it, all of a sudden my macdonalds intake goes through the roof :(

I dont know if they do it EVERY year.. but I remember the same 'lets swap' thing from BBS in the mid 90s

/me feels old now
  • Lutz 20 Apr 2009 10:58:27 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got 2 park lanes on Sunday.

Sadly I've lost my Mayfair now. Oh well, what's 500,000 these days eh? I've got that down the back of the sofa. Along with Shergar.
  • gang_of_bitches 20 Apr 2009 11:01:11 5,447 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RedboX wrote:
    hypersp wrote:

I dont know if they do it EVERY year.. but I remember the same 'lets swap' thing from BBS in the mid 90s

/me feels old now

There was a monopoly game in the nineties (and a Trivial Pursuit one before that) but it was a different format from now and there was a big gap before the recent ones.

/encyclopaedic knowledge of McD's promotions might explain massive girth.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last