LOVEFiLM - an utterly shit online renting experience? Page 4

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Deleted user 21 September 2009 07:40:34
    Still with LF - service is very good now on the whole, and they have very good availability for blu rays.
  • AccidentProne 21 Sep 2009 07:45:47 1,168 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bah, they've just cancelled my account due to 1/5 of the dvds being lost / stolen by Royal Mail.

Can anyone recommend a similar service? I guess there's a few free trials about but I was happpy with lovefilm damnit. Bastard thieving postie scum.
  • Merlinho 21 Sep 2009 07:48:27 5,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I gave Blockbuster free trial a go for a month. It was alright, haven't tried LoveFilm though.
  • Dougs 21 Sep 2009 08:21:34 68,524 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm with Outnow. Pretty much identical to LoveFilm, but I'm not that impressed with the availability. They note on the website which ones are likely to cause delay, but you see hide nor hare of them even if they are your top choices. I only went with them as I preferred their package, just about to switch back to LoveFilm, as they now offer the equivalent
  • TechnoHippy 21 Sep 2009 08:32:58 14,719 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm with Lovefilm and can't say I've had any problems.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• cubbymoore 21 Sep 2009 08:37:20 36,501 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My housemate uses lovefilm and I just don't see the appeal, I'd rather there was an option to do a subscription like 10-15 a month at my local Blockbuster. The online ones may have a wider range but they have ultimate control of what you get and there's the obvious problem of the DVDs getting lost either way through the post, just seems like they're getting a lot of money from you for not much in return.
  • paul_haine 21 Sep 2009 08:47:10 4,205 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    My housemate uses lovefilm and I just don't see the appeal, I'd rather there was an option to do a subscription like 10-15 a month at my local Blockbuster. The online ones may have a wider range but they have ultimate control of what you get and there's the obvious problem of the DVDs getting lost either way through the post, just seems like they're getting a lot of money from you for not much in return.

I pay 15 a month and I get through about three or four films a week. They do have control over what I'm getting so if there's something I really specifically want to see at a particular time, I'll get it off iTunes or somewhere, otherwise I'm happy with the randomness, means I see more things that I wouldn't normally choose which can work out well. Plus I don't have to go out of the house to do it.

Been using it for about four years now and have only lost about five discs in the post in that time. Seems like a great service to me.
  • Dougs 21 Sep 2009 08:49:59 68,524 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    2 a DVD is pretty good imo, although appreciate your point that they have control. Blockies haven't really responded, but I guess they can't go that low given their overheads with rent. 4 a DVD is a bit steep, a 10-12 a month for 4 rentals would be a good model imo, but it's bad enough getting to a post box, let alone to a shop
  • Whizzo 21 Sep 2009 09:05:03 43,219 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Techno Hippy wrote:
    I'm with Lovefilm and can't say I've had any problems.
    The only problem I had with them was a dodgy disc, they sent me a replacement no problem that didn't count towards my limit.

I can't fault them at all and considering how many movies I get through I'm very happy.

This space left intentionally blank.

• McGeeza 21 Sep 2009 09:19:53 941 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I find Lovefilm really good. You can have some control over what you get, you just have to be a bit clever about it. The general rule is, if you put anything old or any fillers in your list you'll get sent it first, so only put stuff in that you really want otherwise you've only got yourself to blame.

For example, i've got the film and game package and i've only had films recently and fancied a game, so I moved all the movies to my 'reserve' list leaving just Dirt 2, Beatles RB and Batman in my list. Batman is now on the way.

I did have to wait a day extra, as a film would have been available straight away, but if you can't wait another day for something you want then Lovefilm isn't for you.

So basically, I get to play a new game about a week after they come out (although i've had a couple the saturday after) for the equivalent of about 3-4. Saved me about 400 on games in the last year (i'm not a swapper or trader) and also a bit of shelf space.

This message is brought to you by the Lovefilm Marketing Board.
  • Psychotext 21 Sep 2009 09:30:34 54,492 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A bit sad that this is the "official" lovefilm thread. I've been using them for years now and they're great.
  • woodnotes 21 Sep 2009 09:49:18 4,935 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Well, Blockbusters does a new online rental package which gives you two free in-store rental vouchers every month, almost the best of both worlds.

I'll be sticking with LoveFilm until Blockbuster adds a 'Lists' option though.
  • GeezaTap 21 Sep 2009 13:04:25 288 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lovefilm have been pretty good in my book, although they need to get off their arse and get me Oz Season 2. :(
  • IJ 21 Sep 2009 13:21:17 841 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lovefilm have been excellent for the 2.5 years I've been using them. Just moved house and lost a DVD, quick ring and they just said no problem we'll send you another one out. Excellent. I pay upfront for a year so works out even cheaper.
  • urban 21 Sep 2009 13:39:10 10,984 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    how bad are these royal mail strikes at the moment by the way?
  • moggsy 21 Sep 2009 13:43:39 3,860 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Used them for years - great service.

Plus never had a disc go missing - the posties must be more honest where I live.
  • Psychotext 21 Sep 2009 13:45:35 54,492 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    IJ wrote:
    Excellent. I pay upfront for a year so works out even cheaper.
    Given how long I've been using them for now, I should probably do that.
  • Whatsfor 21 Sep 2009 21:49:40 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just an FYI they are letting you watch 'August' - Josh Harnett's new film - online for free right now...
  • Whatsfor 21 Sep 2009 21:51:39 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also Mods, as Psychotext mentioned can we have the title changed to something less one sided? "The LOVEFiLM LOVEThREAD" Would do fine...
  • Pirotic Moderator 21 Sep 2009 22:35:16 20,648 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd need to hear Owen-B ask for it to be renamed before I could do it, unless one of you puts on a really good impression.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2009 22:38:29
    I work in the telly. Change the thread title plx.
  • Psychotext 21 Sep 2009 22:41:19 54,492 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I could wear him like a sock... puppet. Would that help?
  • Deleted user 21 September 2009 22:54:48
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Bah, they've just cancelled my account due to 1/5 of the dvds being lost / stolen by Royal Mail.

Can anyone recommend a similar service? I guess there's a few free trials about but I was happpy with lovefilm damnit. Bastard thieving postie scum.

One fifth of your dvds have gone missing and they have cancelled your account and you dont like it?

How would you like it if I rented your cat off you and only returned 4/5 of it?

Well that is how they feel.

Edit - I agree the thread title should be changed as LF are a good service now.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2009 23:01:57
    I would subscribe to lovefilm in an instant if they did a netflix instant download thing.
  • Psychotext 21 Sep 2009 23:07:24 54,492 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They do... just there's only about 2/10ths of the titles available on it.
  • Whatsfor 21 Sep 2009 23:11:47 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    Please change the title to whatsfor's suggestion.

Well, thats good enough for me Piro...
  • Deleted user 21 September 2009 23:14:12
    richardtock wrote:
    I would subscribe to lovefilm in an instant if they did a netflix instant download thing.

I was watching that JCVD film but it was all blocky and jerky. Could have been the inlwas dire plusnet connection though.
  • Psychotext 29 Sep 2009 21:03:42 54,492 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm... been trying to watch that "August" film that's supposedly free for days. Every time it says on demand is currently unavailable, yet every time I'm able to watch any of the other free films.
  • Deleted user 29 September 2009 21:05:37
    Pirotic wrote:
    I'd need to hear Owen-B ask for it to be renamed before I could do it, unless one of you puts on a really good impression.
    I don't think it would really fit with my first rage and bile filled post because they really pissed me off but to be hones tthey're not that bad so yeah, go ahead and change it for the greater good.

:)

Now don't ever say I'm a miserable cunt again please.
  • Psychotext 29 Sep 2009 21:06:21 54,492 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How about miserable cnut?
  • Page

of 7 First / Last