Running Page 32

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• Pinky_Floyd 17 Jul 2013 11:09:48 8,341 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I used the C25K to kick start my running campaign, it really is perfect for new runners.
  • AccidentProne 19 Jul 2013 21:31:47 1,174 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This really sums up how I feel about running, particularly part 2.
  • Pinky_Floyd 19 Jul 2013 22:40:36 8,341 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Brilliant comic.

Am struggling with sore legs tonight. I do intermittently suffer with it. Had hoped after 3 months they would have calmed down a bit lol
  • Vortex808 19 Jul 2013 23:04:30 7,580 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Speaking of sore legs, I have finally stooped to buying an itb strap having seen somoene rocking one when I went out for a run in copenhagen. I was going to get a patella strap by mistake, but thankfully noticed there is a different one for itb specific issues. The itb one goes above the knee, not under it in case anyone else is tempted.

Not sure if it'll help or not, but it certainly can't hurt to try it. I'm fed up of awaiting that pain. I will post if it appears to help, or not in a few weeks time.
  • Zomoniac 19 Jul 2013 23:43:54 7,980 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't remember if I plugged this on here before, but a while back I was exhibiting at a trade show and these guys were on the next stand: http://www.physicool.co.uk/ (I have no affiliation, just tried it there and was impressed so bought a few)

To all intents and purposes it's little more than a compression bandage soaked in Deep Freeze, but I whack it on immediately after a deep cool down stretch after anything involving hard leg work for a good 30-60 minutes and it's done wonders for stopping my hamstring flaring up.

And thanks for that comic, t'was excellent.
  • angeltreats 20 Jul 2013 07:36:54 2,601 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That comic is great. And very very true.

I had to give up running a few years ago due to arthritis in my ankle. I've never been able to find anything to replace it and missed it desperately. However the arthritis has quietened down a lot lately and I've been having a little trot for 20 minutes or so on the treadmills at the gym and despite treadmills being boring as hell and a bit of a chore really, the old bug is still there.

When it gets a bit cooler (say 20ish degrees) I'm going to try it again outdoors.
  • Pinky_Floyd 20 Jul 2013 08:08:02 8,341 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Im running after 9pm when cooler. I wish I knew what was good sore legs and what was bad. I dont know if legs protesting after 20 sedentary years and getting stronger or if Im actually doing them damage.
  • mrpon 20 Jul 2013 08:13:32 29,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Look at Jimmy Savile, he was running well into his twilight years. I like to think everyone has a little bit of Jimmy in them.

Ahem.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• angeltreats 20 Jul 2013 08:14:18 2,601 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Achey quads = good. Any sort of knee pain = bad. If anything feels tight, stretch more.
  • Frogofdoom 20 Jul 2013 08:25:13 1,083 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Really enjoyed the comic, thanks :)

just popping into the thread with my lowly 3.5 miles runs a few times a week. Also did the c25k to get started, going to try the step to 10k next as the 3.5 mile runs are getting comfortable.
  • Saucy 20 Jul 2013 17:47:08 2,614 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Closing stages of Hamberg Triathlon on BBC red button if anyone is interested. Brownlee's vs Gomez.
  • Kafeen 21 Jul 2013 11:06:06 555 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    C25K W1D1 done but failed by technology.

My phone decided to forget my headphone were plugged in around the 12 minute mark and stopped the podcast that was giving me timing instructions.

Backup plan use Runkeeper's timer.

While Runkeeper's timer was working, after the run it reported 0:00...yeah, thanks.
    In addition to that, the GPS failed completely so I have no record of distance covered.

Other than that it went pretty well. First run was maybe a little fast but sorted out pace for the rest making it a lot more manageable. Got a bit of stitch around 13-14 minutes in but it recovered during the walk; right shin hurt a little at the end of a couple of the walks but stopped when I started running, no idea how that makes any sense.
    Day 2 on Tuesday, bring it on.
  • AccidentProne 23 Jul 2013 09:23:26 1,174 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone in here got any experience with Achilles tendonitis/opathy?

Purely self diagnosed at the moment, but my achiles tendons are rather sore at the start of a run and then first thing in the morning, regardless of whether I've been running the night before or not. Been like this for the last couple of weeks I guess.

Haven't seen a doctor yet, but I've started some specific stretching exercises and got some new shoes, just in case the old ones were on the way out, although they felt ok.

Had a few days off from running, but I'm still waking up with sore tendons. Getting a bit worried now that I'll need to take a proper break, with Loch Ness coming up in September, I'd rather not do that if possible. The pain's not particularly severe or anything, it's more that I'm worried about doing myself a more serious injury if I keep running on it.
  • MontyBrewster 23 Jul 2013 10:20:29 253 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did my achilles years ago.

You'd think a few days rest would do the trick, no pain when walking but run 100 yards and the pain just gets worse. Tried 2 weeks off - same deal.

In the end took 3-4 months off for it to properly heal, since then I wear my shoes looser on the heal so it never comes back.

Fingers crossed yours isn't as bad (mine was just the one foot), but it's the most frustrating injury i've ever had.
  • AccidentProne 23 Jul 2013 10:45:44 1,174 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    3-4 months? Ouch! Not sure I could cope with that again. Had a few months off last year thanks to stress fractures, but have tried to be a bit more careful since then.

Will try loosening my laces as I definitely have them a little tight and don't take into account how much my feet swell whilst running. Still hopeful as the pain's not in the same ballpark as my other running injuries just yet. Only noticeable in the morning and the first 10mins or so of my run.
  • craigy Staff 23 Jul 2013 11:02:48 7,836 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Achilles tendinopathy: you have my sympathy!

I struggled with it for a few years, and the only thing that improved it was a strict adherence to a heel drop and calf stretching routine my physio gave me. Still have to do the heel drops at least once a week or I can feel the strength starting to fall away again. I also tried some orthotics fitted by an NHS physio, but they didn't really help.
  • sport 23 Jul 2013 11:47:14 12,811 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Foam roller - there's nothing it can't fix, except craigy's times.
  • craigy Staff 23 Jul 2013 12:07:16 7,836 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am nothing if not consistent(ly slow).
  • AccidentProne 23 Jul 2013 12:48:02 1,174 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Doing the heel drops every day and calf stretching after every run. Been taking ice (well, cold water) baths after runs too. Will have to endure the pain roller later I reckon.
  • Vortex808 25 Jul 2013 18:58:28 7,580 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    First run with my new ITB strap tonight. A quick 3.5 miler and I have to say I feel it has helped a bit. No pain there tonight and I ran at 8:20 per mile too. I've been stuck at about 8:50 for the last while and never seemed to be able to get back under 8min miles like I feel I should easily be able to do again.

The extra speed for the last 2.5 miles might've been a rage-induced placebo effect though due to the nike+ app repeatedly crashing in the first mile, until I gave up and fired up runkeeper for the next two runs mind!

Edited by Vortex808 at 18:59:06 25-07-2013
  • Vortex808 28 Jul 2013 11:18:10 7,580 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Went out with my itb strap again yesterday for a 5.25 mile jaunt. It definitely seems to be helping. I ran at 8:22 min miles again, so it definitely seems to help.

Whether it's just giving myself the confidence to push a bit harder or is having an actual effect is difficult to know, I'll see on the next run when I won't wear it. I have been running a bit more recently due to it being the school holidays and having to take time off, so it could be an extra training effect just happening to occur at the same time.

One thing that is certain is tgat my itb feels in far better shape than usual after a run. I had it on more loosely yesterday so have no imprint of the compression pad this time, but do appear to be losing some leg hairs in the area to rubbing from the strap.

I guess if I ever do decide to shave my legs for going out on my road bike, I'll now have a handy marker for where to start shaving from! :)

Edited by Vortex808 at 11:18:31 28-07-2013
  • sport 29 Jul 2013 19:42:18 12,811 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, did my first Half-Marathon race yesterday in Wimbledon Common. Really gorgeous place to run and basically a trail route.

Primary Goal was a sub 2 hour.
    Bonus Goal was 1:45.

Did it in 1:51 which I'll take as I didn't know what to expect. Been running for years but usually round the 10 - 12km mark, so only been training for the Half for about 4 weeks.

Felt fine cardio-wise, just the joints and tendons were aching near the end so it's just a matter of more training and time and getting the body used to taking that amount of poundage.
  • CharlieStCloud 11 Aug 2013 18:00:38 5,530 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The World Championships in Moscow is currently on BBC one.

... and seeing as this is a running thread, the 100m final is starting at ten to seven this evening!

WATCH IT.
  • Trowel 11 Aug 2013 18:56:44 18,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fantastic race given the weather. Won a little flutter on Nesta Carter getting a podium finish too :)
  • CharlieStCloud 11 Aug 2013 19:20:01 5,530 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    9.77 seconds ... boggles the mind on a wet track!

I think he'll go lower at a Diamond League meeting, but that time of 9.58 seconds is looking further away, me thinks.

Shame about Dasaolu, given that he CAN go under ten seconds.

Until next time, I guess!
  • senso-ji 16 Aug 2013 18:05:50 6,042 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Farah takes the 5K Gold at the World Championships to go alongside his 10K one. Only the second man in history to do the distance double at both the Olympics and the World Championships. Amazing athlete.
  • Fab4 16 Aug 2013 18:07:33 6,216 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Totally bossed it.
  • zoolophage 17 Aug 2013 09:41:22 2,257 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Back into running after a 2 year gap. I forgot how easy it is to put your trainers on and step out the door. You can achieve so much in 30 - 40 minutes rather than playing around with the laptop or ipad on the couch. Did an easy paced 2.5 mile run this morning. While I'm very, very far from being fit I'm pleased that I've at least managed to maintain a very minimal level of fitness from my previous running days (did loads in 2010 according to my Garmin logs). Also, I think a lot of it is psychological...whatever the distance you just need to get outside and get going.

Win great prizes for pc, xbox, nintendo and psn in the 2015 EG Charity Raffle: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/289501

• mrpon 22 Nov 2013 08:42:24 29,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got a 3 month Endomondo premium code if anyone fancies it.

PM me.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Kafeen 27 Nov 2013 12:30:45 555 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Any recommendations on what to wear during the colder weather?
  • Page

of 35 First / Last