Running Page 31

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• SYS64738 2 Jun 2013 14:39:47 1,705 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Went for my first half marathon last week in Edinburgh. All the training since Jan paid off, made it in 2:07 although the last 6k were hard work and I only got through thanks to some energy gels. Didn't run more than 10k at a time during training, need to do this in the future. Still, great experience and tempted to get more halfs under my belt.

But... Got two black toenails during the half, funnily enough both index finger equivalents. One is still a bit sore while the other just looks a bit blue, but as both nails are very short now I can see the blood/liquid built up just at the front of the toe. Am not sure now what to do, leave it or should I try to open the "blisters" (thats what they look like but filled with blood) to drain it and relieve the pressure... Also not sure if I should run with these, have been taking a break for a week and already feel the itch to run again.

I hear this is a common problem but no idea how to best treat this, so any advice from you pro's is welcome.

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• AccidentProne 2 Jun 2013 14:51:29 1,173 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've had black toenails for the last month or so, no reason to stop running in my opinion. They were sore at first, but I really don't notice them now. I think you're best leaving them alone, but have read about piercing them with a heated needle to relieve the pressure if they're too painful.

Mine are going to fall off any day now I reckon...
  • AccidentProne 2 Jun 2013 14:54:45 1,173 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh and well done on completing your first half, especially as you'd not been over 10k in your training! Don't think I'd have been all that confident going into a race that's over twice my max training distance.
  • SYS64738 2 Jun 2013 14:55:54 1,705 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I read about that but to be honest I'd probably pass out before I even complete the surgery:)

EDIT: thanks! When I signed up before xmas I set a target time of 2:45 so had to start at the very end of the field... Only started running regularly this year, the race was meant to be a motivator to do more exercise and it did a great job. Still buzzing from the achievement, and seeing people of all shapes, sizes and ages finishing was inspirational.

Edited by SYS64738 at 15:02:37 02-06-2013

• mal 2 Jun 2013 15:32:42 22,797 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Never had black toenails from running, though I've had them in the past from stubbing my toe. In the end it took a game of football to pop it, and the relief was intense. Took my toenail with it, perhaps unsurprisingly as the blood blister was in between the nail and the skin below it's normally glued to, but it really didn't hurt and grew back eventually.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• SYS64738 2 Jun 2013 15:41:25 1,705 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    First time for me. Can't be the shoes as they're 2 sizes bigger my size but read that when you get tired during long runs you may start clawing your toes which can result in this.

Mine look like blisters under the nail, with about a mm directly accessible. So tempted to open it but should probably just give it time to heal... don't want to risk an infection or some such.

• Gurgy 2 Jun 2013 15:49:12 2,623 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well done on the Half.

I've never had problems with my toe nails but don't know whether that's down to luck or not.

Think I'd leave them alone as if you get them infected I'd imagine it would be nasty.
  • SYS64738 2 Jun 2013 15:58:55 1,705 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ReGuRgIt8oR

Cheers. Had a nail-bed infection in my teens, left it untreated for too long so the doc had to take the healthy nail off. During the procedure had a quick peek and it was a bloodbath to say the least:D Since then I'm getting the heebie jeebies about anything toenail related!

It's really not the biggest deal though, just some slight uncomfy pressure pain when I wear socks/shoes and walk. But I'm wondering whether running now would do more harm than good. Have to go to Paris for business this week so might as well wait til next weekend before getting back into it methinks.

• CharlieStCloud 6 Jun 2013 20:45:00 5,399 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not sure where to put this, but I was surprised Bolt came second after Gatlin in the Diamond League (in Rome) meeting about ten minutes ago ...

... never liked Gatlin. He has got a drug history, hey?

The second surprise was that both guys were just under ten seconds! After the Olympics, I thought they would be slightly closer to their personal best times. I reckon Bolt will be disappointed with that.

Oh well.
  • Youthist 6 Jun 2013 23:50:22 10,057 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gatlin is a cheating cunt.

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• altitude2k 6 Jul 2013 17:04:33 4,842 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone else been nuts enough to try a run today? 5 miles and DYING!
  • AccidentProne 6 Jul 2013 17:26:24 1,173 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, just ran a half marathon. Absolutely shattered.

Wanted to practice running in hot weather as my last marathon was hotter than I'd been training in and nearly killed me. Next race isn't until September and it's at Loch Ness, so no danger of being this hot though...
  • altitude2k 7 Jul 2013 16:26:57 4,842 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You.
    Are.
    MENTAL!

Hats off to ya!
  • JuanKerr 9 Jul 2013 08:26:03 36,426 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did the Lakeland Trails marathon on Sunday - proper trail around Coniston Water. Hardest thing I've ever done in my life, both physically and mentally.

Now hobbling round like a 95 year old man.
  • Youthist 9 Jul 2013 08:29:40 10,057 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow - how long did it take?

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Benno 9 Jul 2013 08:30:36 10,229 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jesus, that sounds pretty tough
  • JuanKerr 9 Jul 2013 08:30:38 36,426 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    4 hours 30 mins, which I'm bloody happy with. The course was a right fucker. Amazing, but a fucker.
  • Youthist 9 Jul 2013 08:31:56 10,057 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Total hats off.

• JuanKerr 9 Jul 2013 08:39:50 36,426 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can recommend the event to anyone fancying a real challenge - the course was amazing and the views from the summit were spectacular.
  • AccidentProne 9 Jul 2013 08:40:23 1,173 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well done JK, looks like a great, albeit tough race. Must've been a bit warm too?
  • Saucy 9 Jul 2013 08:44:55 2,613 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Great work JK. Total respect just for getting round. 4h 30 is a seruious time given the conditions.
  • AccidentProne 9 Jul 2013 08:48:17 1,173 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Indeed, that's quicker than my time for a flat, road marathon. Impressive stuff. Just had a quick look at the course, the hill at 30km looks like it must have been a killer?
  • JuanKerr 9 Jul 2013 08:54:54 36,426 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers. Yeah, it did get hot - we started at 7am when it was nice and cool, but by about 9am, it was boiling.

That hill at 30km almost killed me. It was just bloody relentless.
  • THFourteen 9 Jul 2013 08:59:20 34,275 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ouch. I am in pain just thinking about it, well done mate
  • Pinky_Floyd 17 Jul 2013 08:05:01 8,272 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I need advice from the runners, and I don't just mean those of you who run from the cops late on a friday night. Here's the skinny:

I'm 41 and a smoker of 20 years.

I am 5' 11" in height and weight just over 13 stone.

I took up running 3 months ago and have progressed to doing 10k (have done 3 on my own so far)

My PB for 10k is 56 mins 31 secs - though this was very tough to do.

Ok, that's the background out of the way.

I want to do a half marathon in mid september. At the moment I feel that 10k is my limit. That may be because I run at a fast pace (for me) and try to beat my personal best each time. 10k at a fast pace knackers me and is incredibly tough and demanding for me. Actually, it's tough at any pace.

What sort of training and how often should I train between now and September if I were to tackle a half marathon AT A SLOWISH PACE?

Or am I jumping the gun and should really focus on mastering the 10k first?

Yes, I know I need to stop smoking too.
  • angeltreats 17 Jul 2013 09:12:52 2,601 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here you go Pinky.

I used his training plans for a few half marathons and a full marathon back when I was a runner type. They are very good. He has a book too which is worth picking up.
  • Pinky_Floyd 17 Jul 2013 09:15:28 8,272 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    Here you go Pinky.

I used his training plans for a few half marathons and a full marathon back when I was a runner type. They are very good. He has a book too which is worth picking up.
    Thank you, will get some lunchtime reading over that.....
  • angeltreats 17 Jul 2013 09:53:28 2,601 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd Marathon book by Hal Higdon

Well worth picking up.
  • Kafeen 17 Jul 2013 11:05:22 555 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm thinking about taking up running. I'm not getting much exercise anymore and since hitting the wrong side of 30 more and more of my trousers seem to have trouble fastening.

A couple of my friends do a 5k Parkrun every week so I'm thinking about trying to join them after bit of training.

First up, I plan to follow the Couch to 5k training plan here : www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • craigy Staff 17 Jul 2013 11:08:19 7,779 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Kafeen go for it! One of the chaps in the office is mid-way through the Couch-to-5k plan and he says it is very good indeed.
  • Page

of 35 First / Last