Documentary recommendations Page 3

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• FWB 29 Jan 2012 19:21:30 43,882 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, was one of my favs of last year too. Watched them all again last week.
  • faux_carnation 29 Jan 2012 19:24:48 9,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How does this thread not have Senna?

I just got goosebumps watching the trailer again.

Boatmurdered FC

• RichieTenenbaum 29 Jan 2012 20:05:23 2,182 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stupidity

A bit shit but I liked it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDsnCrSfzCQ&feature=related
  • ecureuil 29 Jan 2012 20:08:32 76,547 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Super High Me, awesome and hilarious response to a similar documentary, but much funnier. There are no surprises here to those in the know, but it's still a very entertaining 90 minutes.

Next up, Knuckle.
    It's awful. I'm "in the know" and I can tell you he faked a whole bunch of it. Also, he's so painfully unfunny it's a chore just to get through it all.
  • Mr-Brett 29 Jan 2012 20:16:05 12,723 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Page One: Inside the New York Times is excellent and a lot more interesting than it sounds.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Syrette 29 Jan 2012 20:25:42 43,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Super High Me, awesome and hilarious response to a similar documentary, but much funnier. There are no surprises here to those in the know, but it's still a very entertaining 90 minutes.

Next up, Knuckle.
    I just cringe pooped a little.
    Sounds about right.

• urban 1 Feb 2012 13:13:58 10,926 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Music

Meeting People is Easy

The entire film is up on that youtube link bizarrely.

Meeting People Is Easy takes place during the promotion of Radiohead's 1997 release OK Computer, containing a collage of video clips, sound bites, and dialogue going behind the scenes with the band on their world tour, showing the eventual burn-out of the group as the world tour progresses. The inaugural show of the OK Computer tour began on 22 May 1997 in Barcelona, Spain. Their final performance, 104 concerts later, was in New York's Radio City Music Hall.

Arcade Fires Miroir noir

To give you a taste of it...

Edited by urban at 13:19:19 01-02-2012
  • BinaryBob101 1 Feb 2012 13:29:24 22,371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ecureuil Well, I found it pretty funny, as did MrsBob.

Beautiful tender beings.

• localnotail 3 Feb 2012 18:38:51 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Robert Hughes' early 80s docs The Shock of the New are available here

A classic eight part documentary that offers a comprehensive view on the development of modernist art in its cultural context. It focusses minly on painting and sculpting but pays some attention to architecture as well. The documentary is presented and narrated by the art critic Robert Hughes, whose views on modernism have left an unmistakable stamp on the film. It was originally aired by the BBC.
    Arthouse? Ahhhh!

(there are loads of art films on Ubu. No, not that kind of "art" ;) )

Edited by localnotail at 18:43:14 03-02-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• urban 12 Feb 2012 12:34:13 10,926 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Documentary Blog

This is a pretty damn good blog for Documentary fiends. Frustrating but brilliant too, tells you about Documentaries you instantly want to see then you find out they're only out on limited release in America.

Edited by urban at 12:44:49 12-02-2012
  • urban 13 Feb 2012 01:36:58 10,926 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Page One: Inside the New York Times is excellent and a lot more interesting than it sounds.
    Is destruction the only path to revolution?

Superb documentary, changed my opinion by expanding my knowledge base ever so slightly. Which is the very definition of a Documentary. Good thing.

Edited by urban at 01:43:33 13-02-2012
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 13 Feb 2012 01:52:19 10,852 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A documentary flick that I love has to be The Kid Stays In The Picture - about the rise and fall of Hollywood producer, Robert Evans. Well worth watching if you have any interest in the history of some of the great 60s and 70s blockbusters.
  • Razz 13 Feb 2012 02:22:02 60,801 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    urban wrote:
    Personal Favourites

Koyaanisqatsi - A movie with no conventional plot: merely a collection of expertly photographed scenes. Subject matter has a highly environmental theme. - Can't recommend it enough. Stunning!
    Love this movie and the sequels. Make sure you check out Baraka too. I love it as much as Kyaanisqatsi

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• OllyJ 13 Feb 2012 16:09:38 3,253 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Best Documentary ever

The follow up docs are equally powerful.
  • Rhythm 13 Feb 2012 16:19:21 2,471 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    urban wrote:
    Personal Favourites

Koyaanisqatsi - A movie with no conventional plot: merely a collection of expertly photographed scenes. Subject matter has a highly environmental theme. - Can't recommend it enough. Stunning!
    Love this movie and the sequels. Make sure you check out Baraka too. I love it as much as Kyaanisqatsi
    Been a fan of Baraka for a while. It's my most prized Blu-Ray and single-handedly justifies the purchase of my projector - falls somewhat outside the documentary premise though, wouldn't you say?

Either way, the one most seem to have missed is Chronos, a shorter proto-Baraka with great music, umpteen world locations and loads of the classic motion-timelapse stuff. The Blu-Ray is great, it has an interactive map that goes into detail about the locations used for the film
  • wizbob 13 Feb 2012 17:01:36 770 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jonathan Meades on France was pretty good last week;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjSBTTuXFMI

made me laugh like a drain.

Also American Hardcore reminded me what dicks those straight edge guys were in a high entertaining fashion;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ZnFT2qAJU
  • richardiox 13 Feb 2012 17:19:28 5,551 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thought American Hardcore was about the 80s punk/hardcore scene rather than about straight edge? Most of the bands weren't straight edge.
  • wizbob 18 Feb 2012 03:30:09 770 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @richardiox You get to see Ian McKaye squirm about some of his more questionable lyrics which good enough for me. The book has more about the whole knocking-drinks-out-of-peoples hands thing and beating up smokers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Hardcore:_A_Tribal_History
  • Khanivor 18 Feb 2012 04:12:33 40,405 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Baraka is what Blu Ray was made for. So mind bendingly incredible to look at. I'll have to check out that other one mentioned in the thread.

Damn, only available on DVD on Netflix.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2012 07:05:03
    American Radical: The Trials of Norman Finkelstein

Edited by oi at 07:05:34 18-02-2012
  • Deleted user 29 March 2012 23:19:18
    Any one been watching the death row series on C4 by werner Herzog. Utterly compelling. and wonderfully produced. The director of photography in the first film was awesome as well. ?

alos believe his got a film version of different people coming out as well.
  • TheSaint 29 Mar 2012 23:53:42 14,201 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished watching Ken Burn's The War on US Netflix. It's an epic documentary consisting of six two hour episodes but absolutely excellent and facinating.

I'm starting his documentary on The Civil War now and it seems equally as good.
  • mal 30 Mar 2012 00:07:55 22,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @joel I saw the first one, and thought it to be rather well screwed together. Missed tonight's but I may try to 4oD it later.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• BillMurray 30 Mar 2012 00:57:22 7,624 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's a huge amount of documentaries on the US Netflix. Currently watching 'I Want That Record' which is about indie record stores and it's decline. Super interesting!
  • Rhythm 5 Apr 2012 10:42:00 2,471 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FUUUUCCKK!!! Got my mailing for the Bradford Film Festival a few weeks ago but just skim-read it. Having another look today I realised they're showing the UK Premiere of Ron Fricke's SAMSARA.

Only it's well and truly sold out :-(
  • mrpon 5 Apr 2012 10:44:55 28,503 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in here, but snagfilms.com seems pretty good for documentaries/shorts/indie films. Lots of apps for it, though annoyingly the iOS one is US only. Works on Roku as well (Rhythm!).

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mad_caddy 5 Apr 2012 10:45:24 3,306 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    How does this thread not have Senna?

I just got goosebumps watching the trailer again.
    I sat down to watch this which my wife didn't really have an interest in, she was enthralled by it, couldnt move her away from it if i tried, and yes she cried at it as well, when it finished her first words to me were:
    "Oh my god, that was incredible, what an amazing film"

It was after this I convinced her to watch King of Kong and the Rally documentary that was on BBC recently.
  • Rhythm 5 Apr 2012 10:52:22 2,471 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in here, but snagfilms.com seems pretty good for documentaries/shorts/indie films. Lots of apps for it, though annoyingly the iOS one is US only. Works on Roku as well (Rhythm!).
    Cheers. Didn't show up on the list of channels that are available but I'll see if I can add it as a custom one.

I should update the TV Streamer thread but annoyingly I found (after buying one) that the Roku can't be tweaked to use a custom DNS so there's no possibility of using Unblock US or similar services :-(
  • Rhythm 5 Apr 2012 11:10:19 2,471 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    FUUUUCCKK!!! Got my mailing for the Bradford Film Festival a few weeks ago but just skim-read it. Having another look today I realised they're showing the UK Premiere of Ron Fricke's SAMSARA.

Only it's well and truly sold out :-(
    Right, cinema has kindly put me on the reserve list. If anyone drops out I'm in!
  • localnotail 5 Apr 2012 11:51:59 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    6 days left to see Madness on Wheels: Rallying's Craziest Years, which was really interesting, if occasionally terrifying.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Page

of 14 First / Last