Documentary recommendations Page 10

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• Vortex808 15 Mar 2013 13:38:52 7,348 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just a heads up that Oil City Confidential is on BBC4 tonight in case anyone want to see this documentary on Dr Feelgood.

It's supposed to be a great music documentary. I'm really looking forward to seeing it and hope for lots of mad-eyed Wilko Johnson scenes along with some nice pub rock scene anecdotes and some great riffs being played.
  • RelaxedMikki 15 Mar 2013 19:49:55 937 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I am watching some Adam Curtis right now: "The Power Of Nightmares"

His stuff is basically intellectual lefty poltics with neat stock footage illustrations. You might remember he did quite a few films for Brooker's 'Newswipe' back in the day. Perhaps the work too post-1950s focussed (he doesn't look at current trends in relation to older history) but I reckon he is pretty compelling...

Just YouTube 'Adam Curtis' and you will find his work.
  • localnotail 15 Mar 2013 23:22:14 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd wager Adam Curtis is the most regularly recommended thing in this thread ;)

Watched a very good documentary / recreation thing about Mallory and Everest tonight on BBC4 called The Wildest Dream: Conquest of Everest. Still up for 7 days more.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• mal 27 Mar 2013 02:51:13 22,729 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decent docu on satire by David Frost, called uninspiringly Frost on Satire featuring interviews from a fair few famous faces, both UK and US. Repeated last night on BBC4, so up on t'iplayer for another week.

Edited by mal at 03:29:46 27-03-2013

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• billythekid 28 Mar 2013 08:55:52 11,223 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watched Project Nim last on the iPlayer. Slightly disturbing docu about a seventies experiment to teach a baby chimp to communicate through sign language.

Only available until Saturday night:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01p0gtf/Project_Nim/
  • shamblemonkee 23 Apr 2013 21:07:22 14,501 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bill Bailey's Jungle Hero -
    1. Wallace in Borneo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0160p0s/hd/Bill_Baileys_Jungle_Hero_Wallace_in_Borneo/
  • Trafford 29 Apr 2013 22:07:25 5,892 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dave Allen-Gods Own Comedian.
    Just screened on BBC2 now. What a legend.
  • TheSaint 29 Apr 2013 22:41:51 14,635 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You'be Been Trumped on Netflix

Hard to remember a documentary that has ever left me that angry. The SNP and Aberdeen council and Police come out of it terribly, probably worse than Trump himself and that is saying something.
  • Khanivor 29 Apr 2013 22:48:39 40,962 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There used to be fucking mental beach parties right where Trump is putting his golf course. Worth finding a lift 40 mins out of town for at 3.30 AM. Reason enough to hate all cunts involved.
  • Bremenacht 29 Apr 2013 23:50:43 18,793 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Missed that. He was. He must have ruffled so many feathers in Ireland, and got away with it. He must have inspired Father Ted, somehow.
  • Madder-Max 30 Apr 2013 00:20:39 11,661 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Btw, I have previously mentioned WWII in colour and HD, and had the first series on my tivo box. Discovered more episodes recently which focus on the build up towards the war.

The main two things to come out of the first series was that hitler was a dick; not only for the camps etc but his decision to ignore his generals and carry on as he saw fit. He had us by the balls and then completely fucked it up by taking over key decisions.

The other point was that churchill had very early intelligence on the concentration camps ( I think as early as 1941) and yet did nothing and I don't believe that was purely down to disbelief.

Anyway, good series and the colour hd bit paints a more human picture.

Edited by Madder-Max at 00:21:46 30-04-2013

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Trafford 30 Apr 2013 06:31:57 5,892 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Trafford wrote:
    Missed that. He was. He must have ruffled so many feathers in Ireland, and got away with it. He must have inspired Father Ted, somehow.
    Yeah, its worth catching just to watch the sketch that actually got him banned from the beeb.

I only really knew him from his 70s prime time output, the sketches were always edgier than his contemporaries. The documentarys he did looked ahead of the time. Then a golden return to stand up.
  • Dangerous_Dan 30 Apr 2013 10:03:21 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago

Don't rock the boat, baby.
  • gammonbanter 9 May 2013 23:19:28 1,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Searching for Sugar Man - don't know if it's been mentioned before, but it's an amusing 90 minutes or so, which sparked my interest to do a bit more research into the topic.
  • TheSaint 9 May 2013 23:23:42 14,635 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just noticed that Side By Side is up on US Netflix. It got rave reviews on the 5Live film show a few months back:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/side_by_side_2012/

Join Keanu Reeves on a tour of the past and the future of filmmaking in Side by Side. Since the invention of cinema, the standard format for recording moving images has been film. Over the past two decades, a new form of digital filmmaking has emerged, creating a groundbreaking evolution in the medium. Reeves explores the development of cinema and the impact of digital filmmaking via in-depth interviews with Hollywood masters, such as James Cameron, David Fincher, David Lynch, Martin Scorsese...
  • RedSparrows 9 May 2013 23:26:03 23,449 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:

That kind of doc can never escape its own irony-well.
  • Razz 17 May 2013 08:53:52 61,430 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Planes That Never Flew

Really good 4 part documentary covering 4 different, very interwesting planes that never made it to the skies. One of particular note is a nuclear powered jet!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• localnotail 17 May 2013 09:54:42 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Only 2 days left to see them on iplayer but this week I've enjoyed Alan Yentob's United States of Television series. Looks at prime-time tv development, starts with Dad (Man About The House), then The Misfit, Independent Woman and then heroes (The Crusader).

Some great talking heads stuff from writers and performers. Been a godsend as we've had no TV for a week.

• TheSaint 17 May 2013 09:58:48 14,635 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think that is also on Netflix but called "American In Primetime" and without Yentob.
  • b0rk 17 May 2013 10:00:26 2,922 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was that the doc about Keanu Reeves' facial hair?
  • TheSaint 17 May 2013 10:04:36 14,635 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He does have an impressive range of looks during the film that range from normal to near full tramp.
  • Maturin 17 May 2013 11:01:03 3,124 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Planes That Never Flew

Really good 4 part documentary covering 4 different, very interwesting planes that never made it to the skies. One of particular note is a nuclear powered jet!
    Thanks for that. Have just sat and watched the whole thing. Very interesting.
  • Dangerous_Dan 17 May 2013 11:25:27 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:

That kind of doc can never escape its own irony-well.
    Huh??? Ufff... Hungry!

It stays very relaxed and humorous though.

Reminds me of that quote -
    "Whoever shows both charm and pleasure in explaining to people things that they already know soon gets a reputation as an intelligent individual."

Do Not Rock The Boat... not a smart move.
  • localnotail 18 May 2013 23:41:57 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I think that is also on Netflix but called "American In Primetime" and without Yentob.
    Ah ok. I liked the first two episodes more than the second. Also, wasn't expecting such massive spoilers to abound. I'll never watch stuff like The Good Wife, or Greys Anatomy, but I know how they go now. Bit annoyed they showed so much of Dexter too.

• drip 19 May 2013 00:45:02 4,346 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    "Enemies of the People", a documentary by a Cambodian about the people who committed the crimes of Cambodia's horrible Khmer Rouge era. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be available on legal video sites, so here's just a trailer:

VICE's documentary about "Suicide Forest" in Japan (20 min):

VICE's documentary about the warlords of the Liberian civil war and cannibalism:

And generally, a lot more from VICE.
  • Razz 19 May 2013 10:00:07 61,430 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Planes That Never Flew

Thanks for that. Have just sat and watched the whole thing. Very interesting.
    Yeah, it's a really good series. It's hilarious how it took the Americans 30 years to realise that a nuclear plane was a bad idea :D From the start of the episode I thought, surely if that thing crash lands, it's either a tragedy or security risk!

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Trafford 26 May 2013 16:28:27 5,892 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A cultural history of syphilis.
    This evening on Radio 3, about 7ish.
  • Page

of 14 First / Last