Tech Help needed - Windows XP refuses to accept old Nvidia drivers

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Jun 2003 14:56:47 35,508 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A bit a long post, sorry, but I didn't manage to use fewer words to describe the problem:

I recently bought Rallisport Challenge and noticed very slight framerate problems on a few occasions, hardly noticeable first, but definitely there. They even remain when I lower the resolution to 800x600 and set all the details to low. My sytem should be more than capable of handling the game (Xp 2400, 512 MB PC 333, Geforce 4 Ti 4600 128 MB, nforce 2 mainboard, Windpows XP),so I did a quick internet search and found that (what I had suspected) it seems to be an Nvidia driver problem. The soultion seems to be to fall back on the latest WHQL drivers, 40.72, or even better, 30.82.

Ok, now here's the problem: I am currently using the latest nvidia drivers (44.03 I think), and have switched to older ones in the past without any problems. I know one has to be a bit careful there, as there are always remains of the drivers remaining on the hd, but the Detonator Destroyer isn't XP compatible unfortunately, and I didn't have any problems in the past.

When I try to install the old Nvidia drivers now(by using the Nvidia .exe file), everything seems to work, the PC reboots, but after that, it turns out the system hasn't recognized my card. Even when I try to install them manually and refer Windows to the .inf file, it doesn't work and Xp tells me these aren't drivers for my card (and funnily enough, doesn't even give me the option to install them anyhow). This happens with the 30.82 as well as the 40.72 drivers. However, I can install the 43.45 and 44.03 without any problems.

Any ideas what could be wrong here? :-(

Cheers

Edited by UncleLou at 13:59:02 29-06-2003
  • Moonbender 29 Jun 2003 15:12:07 407 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No idea, really, but did you uninstall the previous drivers before installing the new, er, old ones? That's a recommended thing to do before changing Detonators. You can uninstall them using Add/Remove Software - I don't know the German name off-hand but you'll manage ;) - in the control panel.

Another thing, did you ever run your card with 30 series drivers? Maybe it's not supposed to work, after all the 30 series drivers are rather old and your card is rather new. So maybe Windows isn't lying when it's saying those are no drivers for your card. Seems a bit unlikely tho.
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Jun 2003 15:22:08 35,508 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheers, yes, I did indeed unistall the drivers previous drivers before (though it's said not to use much and there's a lot of Nvidia driver garbage left).

And I seem to remember I used the 30.82 drivers before, but I am not entirely sure - I am sure though that I did use the 40.72 drivers before, which date from Nov 2002 iirc.
  • DodgyG 29 Jun 2003 20:26:02 255 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In the system properties click on the card, update drivers, specify the location of your old detonators, it may whine about the drivers being old but you can install them anyhoo...
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Jun 2003 20:44:06 35,508 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheers, I've already tried that. It sounds stupid, but Windows just doesn't insrall them. I specifiy the location of the .inf file, and the next thing that happens is Windows tells me there isn't any driver information in the sepecific folder. :-(
  • Whizzo 29 Jun 2003 20:46:56 43,091 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can't really help UL but have you tried searching on NV News's forum for a similar problem? It's always my first place of reference for Nvidia based problems.

This space left intentionally blank.

• UncleLou Moderator 29 Jun 2003 23:23:45 35,508 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheers Whizzo, you're a star!

Well, I haven't found a solution for the driver installation problem, but I've found a fix for the stuttering problem in RSC. (I've downloaded the 3DAnalyzer (can't link to the download page directly, click on "files"), in case anyone is interested, and allows to create a batchfile for 3d applications. There's a "remove stuttering" option which seems to have fixed the problem.)

Edited by UncleLou at 22:25:01 29-06-2003
  • Moonbender 29 Jun 2003 23:44:58 407 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Glad to hear it's working. So how's the game?
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Jun 2003 00:01:22 35,508 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's a lot of fun, but very unpolished. The controls are excellent imo, if a bit arcadey, and the physics while driving are convincing. Crash physics, on the other hand, are laughable. The car keeps bouncing around and spinning in the air when you hit something, it looks ridiculous. And while the game is absolutely beautiful, the mediterranean and pacific settings look almost identical, so the real rally stages (apart from ice racing,rallycross and hillclimb) lack a bit in variety. Well, you've also got the "safari" setting, admittedly.

An (almost) perfect game would be a crossing between this and Colin Mcrae 3. Take the cahmpionship mode, destroyable cars and varied tracks of CMR3, and the fun modes/options and graphics of RSC, and we'd almost be there. :-)

A thing I don't understand (I've said it before, after trying the Xbox version): The game is, technically, much better-looking than GT3, yet it looks far less real, especially in the replays. The cars look like they are pulled on a string across the roads, not like they're driving. It's strange, cause as I've said above, the physics feel convincing when driving, so shouldn't it look real as well? After all, the replays (or external camera, I never use that when driving though) are just a visual representation of the physics, so-to-speak,aren't they?

GT3 is still the only game I've played where it really looks like the cars are actually driving on the road.

Oh, one more thing: the vibration effects (I've got a Wingman Rumblepad), are asbolutely fantastic, the best I've ever felt in a racing game. All in all I like the game a lot, but I fear it's rather short and more something for a 30-minute distraction than something to really delve into for hours.

Edited by UncleLou at 23:08:49 29-06-2003
  • DodgyG 30 Jun 2003 19:32:27 255 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can you not select the install a different driver option?
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Jun 2003 20:17:05 35,508 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I realise I am starting to sound like a moron, but no, it doesn't work (with the old drivers). Like I said, I show windows the correct directory, I click on the .inf file, click next, and then Windows tells me there's no driver info available in that folder. If I try the same with the new drivers, it works, but with the old drivers, windows just pretends the folder is empty.
  • DodgyG 30 Jun 2003 23:54:17 255 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Weird, it should've given you the option to select a differnet one. I may try it on this PC if I can get hold of 30.92 drivers...
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next