UseNet & Newsgroups ....! Page 3

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• JayeM 21 Dec 2007 14:03:01 3,386 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Signed up for NewsDemon last night and I've been making good use of my connection while I slept. :D
  • Retroid Moderator 21 Dec 2007 14:42:50 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    lost_soul wrote:
    blizeH wrote:
    Is this 'PAR nonsense' the thing that ensures 99% of whatever you download is corrupt?
    Um, no; they're the things that ensure that 99.9% of what you download aren't corrupt.
    PAR2 is almost magic.
  • Deleted user 21 December 2007 15:36:14
    guys what usenet provider do you use, if any? I currently use usenetserver.com which costs about 7.40 p/m. Am thinking of trying giganews though because usenetserver only has 100 day retention. And I get a lot of article not found errors.
  • Whizzo 21 Dec 2007 15:38:55 43,033 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Retroid wrote:PAR2 is magic.
    Fixed, according to Arthur C. Clarke's definition of the word anyway.

I'm still with Giganews, never had any problems with them in God knows how many years I've been a customer.

This space left intentionally blank.

• BravoGolf Moderator 21 Dec 2007 15:48:22 12,740 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JayeM wrote:
    Signed up for NewsDemon last night and I've been making good use of my connection while I slept. :D

lol, one night I downloaded 20 gigs. A few weeks before, I left it to download 80 something! Lots of HD goodness ;)
  • crashVoodoo 21 Dec 2007 15:49:19 3,853 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    i'm using newsdemon. did have the 50gig cap but have just gone up to unlimited since i've found out my isp only limits my usage to 50gig during peak hours

i pay in dollars instead of pounds which means i take advantage of the exchange rate. it means the price fluctuates a bit (not by much tho) and i get it cheaper than if i paid with sterling :)

/needs bigger hard drive now ... :(

OT : how does one make a mkv file playable on't xbox

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• JayeM 21 Dec 2007 16:05:41 3,386 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    JayeM wrote:

lol, one night I downloaded 20 gigs. A few weeks before, I left it to download 80 something! Lots of HD goodness ;)
    Heh, not quite that much but I got about 10 gigs of Heroes downloaded in 5-6 hours.

I'm liking the speed.
  • cubbymoore 23 Dec 2007 23:05:12 36,468 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Grr, every time I even look into trying usenet I get angry. Too many options.
  • JayeM 1 Jan 2008 08:32:10 3,386 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can anyone send me an invite to Newzbin.com?
  • Kostabi 1 Jan 2008 08:45:05 4,874 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JayeM wrote:
    Can anyone send me an invite to Newzbin.com?

Done.
  • JayeM 1 Jan 2008 09:07:39 3,386 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks a lot. :)
  • ionic 9 Jan 2008 10:16:21 673 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So I've been trying out newsgroups as apposed to torrents but I'm not having much luck find stuff quite so easily. Is newzbin.com the way to go? Could somebody send me an invite?
  • lost_soul 9 Jan 2008 10:27:30 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ionic: I tried to send an invite, but it didn't like the address in your profile; claims it's not valid :-/

Do you have another address I can send to?
  • BravoGolf Moderator 9 Jan 2008 10:28:23 12,740 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ionic wrote:
    So I've been trying out newsgroups as apposed to torrents but I'm not having much luck find stuff quite so easily. Is newzbin.com the way to go? Could somebody send me an invite?

Newzbin.com is simply a search engine, like Google, which indexes and filters files on newsgroups. It also allows the user, if registered on Newzbin, to download an NZB file which you open with your newsgroup software to download the relevant files from your newsgroup. So, in short, you would still need a subscription to a newsgroup in addition to newzbin.
  • ionic 9 Jan 2008 11:28:27 673 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lost_soul you have mail :)
  • KD 9 Jan 2008 12:07:52 636 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i been using newzbin for a while and found a nice free site http://www.prettyboo.com/ I wouldnt leave newzbin for it but its good for HD files, wmv or x264 types.

Also I recently changed the program i use from newsleecher to a newsbin, just liked the scratch list and the download folder order over newsleecher
  • ionic 9 Jan 2008 12:35:40 673 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nice link KD, prettyboo looks quite impressive for wmv hd movies.
  • FooAtari 9 Jan 2008 12:46:08 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been looking into Newgroups recently. Currently I only use them for posting and reading threads.

For downloading stuff whats the advantages over torrents?
  • KD 9 Jan 2008 15:11:18 636 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    no uploadin/sharing and 100% of your download speed at all times with a giganews server atleast like myself, also most posts have par2 files so nothing is unfixable if its missing a few blocks and with the popular US tv series they get uploaded about 30mins after its aired in the US
  • deem 9 Jan 2008 15:13:10 31,641 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Best thing I ever did. :)

Over 2 megabyte a second downloads ftw!

• deem 10 Jan 2008 09:20:34 31,641 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OK, can anyone help.

For the first time ever, I'm trying to expand a download, and I'm getting an error message, saying it isn't a rar archive.

Any Mac users that can tell me how I could expand other than 'rar expander'?

(it's a dmg that's compressed as a par2)

• BravoGolf Moderator 10 Jan 2008 09:22:56 12,740 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deem wrote:
    OK, can anyone help.

For the first time ever, I'm trying to expand a download, and I'm getting an error message, saying it isn't a rar archive.

Any Mac users that can tell me how I could expand other than 'rar expander'?

May not be a compacted file, could be a split file. You may need Stuffit :)

Edit: DMG as Par2? That's weird, you sure? Try opening with UnrarX
  • deem 10 Jan 2008 09:25:52 31,641 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks Grayson, but I don't want to make one.

I'll try UnrarX BravoGolf.
  • FooAtari 10 Jan 2008 11:28:46 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmmm very appealing. So is there a Fuckwits guide anywhere? Where do I start? I know of a couple of Linux newsreaders I can use. So I guess I need to know who to go with.
  • crashVoodoo 10 Jan 2008 15:14:02 3,853 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    Hmmm very appealing. So is there a Fuckwits guide anywhere? Where do I start? I know of a couple of Linux newsreaders I can use. So I guess I need to know who to go with.

less text, more pikchars -
    slycks guide to newsgroups

or

more text -
    connected guide pt.1
    connected guide pt.2

both guides aren't the be all and end all of it but you should get a fair understanding :)

• FooAtari 11 Jan 2008 23:32:09 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Slyks guide is pretty good. Clearly covers the basics. I know about news groups in general but not much about binaries, more clued up now.

I thought Powernews looked like quite a good server. Once question here, they offer 6 connections and 12 connections. 12 connectiosn being a couple of quid more. 12 connections is going to basically give you more speed, but how much more? I have a 4mb connection, will I be limited with 6 connections?
  • crashVoodoo 11 Jan 2008 23:37:25 3,853 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    Slyks guide is pretty good. Clearly covers the basics. I know about news groups in general but not much about binaries, more clued up now.

I thought Powernews looked like quite a good server. Once question here, they offer 6 connections and 12 connections. 12 connectiosn being a couple of quid more. 12 connections is going to basically give you more speed, but how much more? I have a 4mb connection, will I be limited with 6 connections?
    using taking my own experience into account i'm gonna say no. i can max out my 8mb line using just 4 connections. i like having more so that if one drops, the others pick up the slack.

how much is this powernews ?

• FooAtari 12 Jan 2008 09:55:34 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sorry its Power Usenet $15

http://www.powerusenet.com/
  • Bloodloss 12 Jan 2008 10:59:27 4,499 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So all the content is hosted on servers ran by places like Giganews and NewsDemon, and you need to pay them to get access, yes? Isn't it possible to search Newzbin and find a file that isn't hosted on Newsdemon, but is on Giganews, so you're screwed? Or does it not work like that?

Is it necessary to use Newzbin? Things like Grabit seem to have a built in search function. Also, why are people asking for invites to Newzbin? I joined a few weeks ago without being invited.
  • FooAtari 12 Jan 2008 14:46:42 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Periodically these servers connect to each other and exchange all messages that are missing on either server. In this manner, a message sent by any user would eventually get distributed to every server that carried that newsgroup."
  • Page

of 19 First / Last