of 12 First / Last

• pistol 12 Dec 2006 14:38:47 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Huntcjna wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Huntcjna wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Perhaps the low viewing figures weren't anything to do with the channel the show was put out on, but merely the fact that it was in fact shite?

Peej

Read the dates on threads you bald nutjob. :D

Indeed.

It was still shite though, as is Ricky Gervais.

Peej

The office was funny and both his stand up shows are funny. Just because Extras was shite (with the exception of racist homophobic Keith Chegwin) doesn't mean his entire repertouir is shite.

At least hes a a lot more enjoyable than Catherine 'End my ginger suffering' Tate and the criminally unfunny Little 'What else can we market this on' Britain.

I kind of agree with you although I did think the first series of Extras was quite funny. As for LB and Catherine Tate. Both shows I loved when they first came out but both are really struggling to come up with new material. Catherine Tate is talented but some of her sketches are very hit and miss. I was watching an episode of Two Ronnies and I was suprised at how much I still like them. The majority of their sketches are still funny and very clever. Nowhere near as hit and miss as LB or CT, all imo of course.

• Shinzou 12 Dec 2006 14:40:10 887 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deem wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    No believe me, laughing is not something I do around RG.

Peej

Oh come on, just give this 3 minutes of your time and tell me it isn't funny.

Gowan.

I am literally crying with laughter.
  • Articulate-Troll 14 Sep 2009 00:06:52 3,101 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Steven Merchant's the real funny one. Gervais is just a publicity whore.
  • ecu 14 Sep 2009 00:08:47 77,338 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    This guy doesnt think so

Christ, what a dickhead that guy is.

And he started off well, talking about Larry David.
  • localnotail 14 Sep 2009 00:12:23 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I respect Eddie Izzard right now.

I miss him. Do you think he just overwhelmed his surreal gland?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 14 September 2009 00:12:29
    ecureuil wrote:
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    This guy doesnt think so

Christ, what a dickhead that guy is.

And he started off well, talking about Larry David.

Hehe, tell me about it.

"I'm a connoisseur of comedy"

lol
  • faux-C 14 Sep 2009 00:20:23 9,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    I respect Eddie Izzard right now.

I miss him. Do you think he just overwhelmed his surreal gland?

Yeah, his marathon thing is completely insane.

Although tbh, as admirable as it is, I think its part of what went wrong with his comedy - a kind of messiah complex; belief he can do anything.

I went to see Sexie live, and at that point he really had lost it already, as he'd lost any connection with the audience he was talking to. His head was on "higher" things, i.e. in Hollywood, and he didn't have anything to say about real life any more.
  • ecu 14 Sep 2009 00:21:16 77,338 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can see why people don't like Ricky Gervais, he does come across as being a bit smug/arrogant, but it's all a bit of an act. He put British comedy back on the map though, and Extra's proved that he/they didn't just get lucky.
  • BinaryBob101 14 Sep 2009 00:25:04 24,450 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm off to see Eddie Izzard on the Stripped tour for my birthday. My Wife got the tickets, not me as I think he went off the boil years back too. Maybe this run around the UK thing will give him some decent material to play with. Well, I hope so anyway.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• coastal 14 Sep 2009 00:48:45 5,390 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hated Gervais way before he appeared smug. I think it was the point he decided he was a stand up comic despite all the genes in his body saying no.

since then..

Gervais' popularity in Hollywood is the only evidence I can find that suggests this reality is false and I'm stuck in some Matrix style brain farm with a plug in my skull.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Deleted user 14 September 2009 00:53:47
    When I ever see RG I just think, surely he can afford a personal trainer, rather than just wearing black all the time.
  • dufftownallan 14 Sep 2009 08:05:31 4,725 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    we are all comedy connoisseur's though...or like to think we are...and Ive probably blerted out worse things about shitheads like jack shitehall and Alex zane and the general mediocrity that makes me want to shot them.
    completely agree about the two you mentioned, jack has raised the odd smile but he was TERRIBLE on mock the week the other day, and alex zane is just a semen stain that needs to be erradicated from television completely. cunt.
  • JuanKerr 14 Sep 2009 08:16:59 36,446 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I can see why people don't like Ricky Gervais, he does come across as being a bit smug/arrogant, but it's all a bit of an act. He put British comedy back on the map though, and Extra's proved that he/they didn't just get lucky.

I like Gervais personally - don't really care if he's arrogant or whatever, his stuff usually makes me laugh and The Office is an absolute classic (and yes I've seen the fucking American version).

I still suspect that Stephen Merchant is the real talent behind a lot of the work though.
  • FWB 14 Sep 2009 08:20:43 45,670 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gervais' writing is funny, but his stand up and persona in interviews is not. His constant self-referencing is tiring and far from amusing. Utterly smug and self-absorbed. Constantly laughing at your own jokes is really irritating.

+1 on Stephen Merchant. Have that sneaky suspicion too and that Ricky is riding on the back of him.
  • Deleted user 14 September 2009 09:13:10
    Never liked Gervais at all - hated his charater on 11 o'clock show and I haven't grown any fonder of him over time. I must be one of the dwindling number of people not to have sat through an entire episode of the Office purely because RG makes my skin crawl.

Watching Night at the Museum with my son was like having teeth pulled

/irrational rant over
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Oct 2009 07:58:24 15,440 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Going to see him tonight in Pompey. Looking forward to new material/stories. Reading this thread it seems he is very unpopular with you lot. I have always liked him from the radio shows to stand up. Will be interesting to see how the new film he wrote with S.M. "Cemetery Junction" is compared to his solo writing for the latest film and Ghost Town of course.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• HitchHiker 8 Oct 2009 08:15:36 2,789 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was Ghost Town any good?
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Oct 2009 08:31:59 15,440 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    Was Ghost Town any good?

I enjoyed it, as did 'er indoors. I think the bottom line is with Ricky Gervais you get Ricky Gervais, if that makes sense. you either like or dislike him and what he does. I do like him so enjoy his work.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• woodnotes 8 Oct 2009 08:32:36 4,944 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    Was Ghost Town any good?
    It felt all a bit like an 80s movie to me, in a good way. Overall, enjoyable but not any major lol moments for me.

I like Ricky Gervais but I understand why some people don't. I just find him naturally funny.

I think some people dislike him because he's a little bit too much like the 'horrible' characters he plays, but at least he knows this and plays on it - a bit like Steve Coogan in that regard.
  • mattigan 8 Oct 2009 19:27:23 1,429 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He would be NOTHING without Karl Pilkington!
  • mal 8 Oct 2009 19:37:10 22,850 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I kind of feel sorry for RG. Once people realise he's a rubbish standup, and a pretty poor actor, what's he going to have left?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• magicpanda 8 Oct 2009 19:37:56 13,488 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    millions of pounds?
  • Deleted user 8 October 2009 19:39:40
    mal wrote:
    I kind of feel sorry for RG. Once people realise he's a rubbish standup, and a pretty poor actor, what's he going to have left?

Some people must be slow on the uptake, if they still think he is good.
  • Lukus 8 Oct 2009 19:51:56 19,495 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Erm, has anyone else seen the American version of The Office?

Tell you what, watch that, and then we can talk about his artistic integrity.

I know this is from 4 years ago, but Kalel, what point were you attempting to make here?

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 8 October 2009 19:58:37
    prawnking wrote:
    mal wrote:

Some people must be slow on the uptake, if they still think he is good.
    I don't get it. If they're laughing, then surely as far as they're concerned, he's good.

Worked on something he was a guest on last week and in the limited time he was in the studio he had everyone in stitches. And not just "oh dear, there's a celebrity in, better all laugh to make him feel like a star" laughing because the crew tends not to give a fuck about that. This was genuine laughter.

I liked Ghost Town too. It was very much just Gervais being Gervais while fawning Americans line up to set up the gags, but it was still pretty good, and dare I say it quite touching. I'd like to see his new one too, but perhaps not in the cinema, just coz it's too expensive.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last