American Dad Page 3

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

  • Deleted user 17 October 2010 02:34:36
    It's actually miles better than Family Guy now.

    I was a die-hard Family Guy fan for ages but it's just gotten tired now. FG has far too many rehashes of past jokes/bits to attempt to recapture its past glory and anything new they attempt tends to be more 'miss' than 'hit'. I still watch it and all for the occasional decent episode but at this stage American Dad is in a league of it's own.

    I find it odd that people rag on the Simpsons for being crap now (when it really isn't) and nothing is said about how poor the new Family Guy episodes are.
  • iokthemonkey 17 Oct 2010 13:45:26 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I loved Roger's ''phone conversation'' intro. And ''myegh!'' was ace.

    I think I actually enjoy American Dad more than Family Guy now.

    http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

  • kongzi 17 Oct 2010 19:33:59 35 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Couple of episodes were pretty cool, but it's a cheap family guy rip-off and FG was pretty cheap to begin with.. it's not as bad as the cleveland show, actually, but not very good either.

    I used to be a big FG fan, but that's worn off... been there, done that I guess. Seth mcFarlane is a funny guy, but his comedy is pretty one-dimensional, all the cute pop culture references aren't gonna change that. It's the same joke over and over, only the reference changes
  • Razz 6 Dec 2010 18:46:45 61,272 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    New episode is properly funny! xD Minority report reference was awesome! :D

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • cianchristopher 14 Dec 2010 15:39:59 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Saw an episode of this last night where the rapture took place, and Jesus came back to earth to fight the Anti Christ. Then Stan left Francine, so she hooked up with Jesus (who bore a strong resemblance to John Connor from Terminator), and Stan turned into a Mad Max-esque character. Then the Anti Christ kidnapped Francine from under Jesus' nose, and he and Stan had to put aside their differences and travel the wasteland to hunt the Anti Christ down.

    Fucking hell, it was completely mental! I'd stopped watching the show about 3 years ago, for no particular reason (I always quite liked it). But it used to be much more conventional than this.

    This was absolutely nuts! Fucking waaaaaayyyyyy more out there than even the craziest Family Guy cutaway gag, and this is the whole episode I'm talking about, not just one joke.

    I loved it! Gonna have to catch up on all I missed (I've seen two or three Cleveland Show episodes on TV too, that is hilarious). I just seem to really love that Seth McFarlane humour, it's brilliant (though, it would appear that Family Guy is his main show, and he just does the voice of Stan for this (but with not much to do with the writing or direction) and he's got even less to do with the Cleveland Show)!
  • Deleted user 14 December 2010 15:44:27
    That is a brilliant episodes and tbh there are probs 5 more up to that standard. I love American Dad, just don't expect every episode to be like that!
  • mikew1985 14 Dec 2010 15:51:17 12,784 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Saw an episode of this last night where the rapture took place, and Jesus came back to earth to fight the Anti Christ. Then Stan left Francine, so she hooked up with Jesus (who bore a strong resemblance to John Connor from Terminator), and Stan turned into a Mad Max-esque character. Then the Anti Christ kidnapped Francine from under Jesus' nose, and he and Stan had to put aside their differences and travel the wasteland to hunt the Anti Christ down.

    Fucking hell, it was completely mental! I'd stopped watching the show about 3 years ago, for no particular reason (I always quite liked it). But it used to be much more conventional than this.

    This was absolutely nuts! Fucking waaaaaayyyyyy more out there than even the craziest Family Guy cutaway gag, and this is the whole episode I'm talking about, not just one joke.

    I loved it! Gonna have to catch up on all I missed (I've seen two or three Cleveland Show episodes on TV too, that is hilarious). I just seem to really love that Seth McFarlane humour, it's brilliant (though, it would appear that Family Guy is his main show, and he just does the voice of Stan for this (but with not much to do with the writing or direction) and he's got even less to do with the Cleveland Show)!

    That was last years Christmas one if I'm not mistaken. it was Epic.

    The Christmas ones are generally completely bonkers are totally unique!
    I've yet to watch the one from Sunday, looking forward to it.

    Just as an aside, I think it was in an episode this season when Roger and Stan go looking for someone and just before they enter the building Roger says:

    "Let's hope its not just me in disguise"

    Of course it is, and its bloody hilarious. Love Roger :D

    Also the jury duty episode was very good too!
  • Deleted user 14 December 2010 15:53:48
    What about future robot Stan who is half Mexican and half Canadian and has an accent which is a mixture of the two?
  • iokthemonkey 14 Dec 2010 15:55:21 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The newest Christmas episode is ace, especially Roger's ''mentor.''

    Family Guy's Xmas Special isn't bad, either. Not great, but not bad. The attempt to deliver gifts is pretty funny.

    http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

  • mikew1985 14 Dec 2010 15:58:23 12,784 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    iokthemonkey wrote:
    The newest Christmas episode is ace, especially Roger's ''mentor.''

    Family Guy's Xmas Special isn't bad, either. Not great, but not bad. The attempt to deliver gifts is pretty funny.

    Generally Family Guy is pretty poor these days and I've preferred American Dad since it began tbh(Well I watched season 1 & 2 back to back).

    That part of the Family Guy episode was pretty good though as you say the rest wasn't great. I was about to switch it off just before they did the "delivery attempt" scene as it had strayed firmly into extremely contrived territory.
  • iokthemonkey 14 Dec 2010 16:01:35 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, it seems a lot of TV shows this year are doing ''message'' episodes at Xmas. Which is fine when it's done well (Community) but not when it's about as subtle as a cock (Family Guy.)

    http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

  • Deleted user 14 December 2010 16:01:52
    Why choose? They are both great although I think American Dad is more consistent but FG when it's on it's best is fantastic!
  • mikew1985 14 Dec 2010 16:12:21 12,784 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meh, really haven't been feeling Family Guy at all fro a long time. I still watch it mind so I'm not "choosing" per se. If I was forced to, though, I wouldn't hesitate to drop FG in favour of AD.

    It's much more funny and coherent package imo
  • Deleted user 14 December 2010 16:17:08
    Yeah I prefer AD too. But Family Guy does have some classics, plus the Star Wars episodes I think are fun :)

    http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/familyguyitsatrap/

    The new one.
  • mikew1985 14 Dec 2010 16:20:23 12,784 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's out at usual source s already and a big firm meh tbh.

    They pretty much used up all of the joke(s) in "blue harvest" and actually admit that at the start of the episode. It's watchable for sure but has few or possibly no genuine laugh out loud moments.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2010 16:21:28
    Yeah but what's the next trilogy...pretty sure I heard "Back to the Future" mentioned...
  • mikew1985 14 Dec 2010 16:22:22 12,784 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That could be good.
  • ecureuil 14 Dec 2010 16:23:53 76,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thought the new Family Guy star wars was really good. Better than the actual episodes have been. Indiana Jones is supposedly the next one.

    American Dad is ok, sometimes great but usually just mildly funny. It's way more consistent than Family Guy.
  • mikew1985 14 Dec 2010 16:27:55 12,784 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe Im just irreconcilably jaded with FG then. As I saidI'll still watch it week in week out. Actually I liked the AD cameos in the last Star Wars one come to think of it.

    Indiana Jones could also be good.
  • cianchristopher 14 Dec 2010 17:04:46 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One of my favourite Family Guy episodes was "Meet The Quagmires" from about 2 years ago. Hilarious, especially the Rick Astley song at the end.

    In fact, I think it's better now than ever before, and if I see a Season 2 or 3 episode these days, they look a bit shit in comparison to the new stuff (all of Season 1 is shit, like The Simpsons Season 1, tbh).

    Also, the abortion episode from earlier this year is pure gold! When Lois tries to explain abortion in the case of incest to Chris, and uses her cousin's (presumably) inbred kid as an example (he apparently has eyes that are too close together). Peter says - "So, you got a problem with TouchEyes now? Boy, you sure don't mind him when you need a needle threaded". Then, "think of all the joy he's brought to Uncle Mom and Aunt Dad".

    Christ, I was laughing my head off at that!
  • Deleted user 14 December 2010 17:25:21
    ecureuil wrote:
    Thought the new Family Guy star wars was really good. Better than the actual episodes have been. Indiana Jones is supposedly the next one.

    American Dad is ok, sometimes great but usually just mildly funny. It's way more consistent than Family Guy.

    I absolutely hated the Family Guy Star Wars things. Unfunny self-indulgent twaddle and somewhat of a downward turning point for the entire series.

    American Dad is easily consistently better than it now.
  • ecureuil 14 Dec 2010 17:26:53 76,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Eh, I found them hilarious. Darth Stewie is comedy genius.
  • Ka-blamo 14 Dec 2010 17:32:26 7,368 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can we not talk about Family guy in the American dad thread? there are tonnes of Family guy threads.

    And may I concur with spuds, AD is better than FG now....

    Not an easy thing to swallow, You think the Simpsons enjoyed having Futurama become a better show?...nobodddy saiddd itt was easssyyy
  • dogbot 14 Dec 2010 17:33:15 2,276 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    "Seagulls! Francine, it was the seagulls again. And this time, they could drive!"

    :)
  • Deleted user 14 December 2010 17:33:43
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYDGZt-E89w

    Classic!
  • ecureuil 14 Dec 2010 17:35:38 76,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    Not an easy thing to swallow, You think the Simpsons enjoyed having Futurama become a better show?...nobodddy saiddd itt was easssyyy

    I don't think anybody actually cares. I mean, the guy that SHOULD care is the guy that made them both. So nope, nobody cares.
  • Ka-blamo 14 Dec 2010 17:38:51 7,368 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You'd be surprised, alot of people are incredibly protective over Family Guy.....and any suggestion of American Dad being better is blasphemous
  • Deleted user 14 December 2010 17:39:53
    I personally think it varies season to season and on occasion episode to episode.
  • ecureuil 14 Dec 2010 17:40:36 76,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's only a matter of time before AD goes shit anyway. Good old US TV.
  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

Log in or register to reply