IT Page 5

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• ubergine 12 Sep 2017 17:14:16 7,349 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Beverly was far more sexualised than I can remember any 13 year-old in 1987 being.

By the end I liked the movie overall but had some frustrations with it where it didn't live up to its own premise. Pennywise was great, some fun and inventive sequences. I saw it in a full theatre and people were often laughing at someone's reaction (some real squeaks and squeals) or the audacity of what just happened. (Eg the slideshow)

What bothered me was that IT's only clever or interesting kill is the first one, with Georgie. He lures him in then scares him, and it's a great scene for Pennywise.

Throughout the rest of the film, he often has The Losers dead to rights, and inexplicably doesn't kill them. Eg, he grabs Beverly with wet hair and is drowning her with blood. She doesn't get away through something bold or clever she did, he just inexplicably lets her go, and we wind up with a bathroom cleaning "saving the community centre" montage. IT chases each of them at some point and just lets them get away, doesn't use any kind of subtlety. They probably could have explained it with a single line (something like, he's gradually marinating them in fear to make them taste better) but I did check my watch during those sequences because nothing was at stake. They repeated the IT Impotently Scares Kid bit maybe 11 times.

The finale was pretty great though, and feeling satisfied at the end of a movie is generally enough for me to call the whole thing good. I'd watch it a second time. I thought the effects were great and Pennywise really lit up the screen, fantastically well realised.

I'm not super optimistic about the second movie, as the part with the adults is going to be much, much harder to pull off well I think. The kids section has so many 80s movies (and latterly, stranger things) to draw from, whereas the idea of repeating the film with a bunch of 40 year olds... well, it will have to be very, very different from the telemovie to even scan. There's a reason why horror tends to revolve around teens or young adults. A team of middle aged people hunting a space clown is a fucked idea for a movie.
  • GuiltySpark 12 Sep 2017 17:21:03 6,737 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    There's a reason why horror tends to revolve around teens or young adults. A team of middle aged people hunting a space clown is a fucked idea for a movie.
    I do feel as though horror misses out sometimes because it goes for the early 20 somethings. I assume it's because that is the age of the audience, but I would much rather competent adults in a horror film. Though, my favourite 'horror' books are Hell House and I Am Legend, so I guess that's just my thing.

As for the film, I liked it. I feel like it missed out on lore though. I felt that's what made the book interesting. There was nothing to piece together for the kids or the audience. There shouldn't have been a time limited reason for the kids to go into the sewer and fight IT - it should have been pure will.

Edited by GuiltySpark at 17:22:30 12-09-2017
  • Gearskin 12 Sep 2017 17:25:29 2,990 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The director says he wanted to save lore for the second part and focus this from the perspective of the kids being kids.
  • GuiltySpark 12 Sep 2017 17:27:58 6,737 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The problem with that is it would feel like retconning (sort of). You build lore up. Think The Matrix Reloaded with its lore dump. Not the best way to do things!

Edited by GuiltySpark at 17:28:22 12-09-2017
  • mangojoe 12 Sep 2017 17:34:12 1,389 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also remember stranger things kinda drew a lot from IT ubergine. But I get your point
  • ubergine 12 Sep 2017 18:14:23 7,349 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've not actually seen Stranger Things. My point is that there are mountains of teen 80s horror films. And just, films. Molly Ringwald reference for the win.

I can't name a single film where a large team of plucky 40-year olds band together for an adventure. Apart from IT, which was awful. There's been a few with old people, eg Cocoon, The Expendables. There's been a lot with young people. In the horror genre with 40 yr olds you get the Family (eg Poltergeist) and you get The Detective (The Omen, The Wicker Man etc) but generally groups of adults mean a war movie or women's drama but not horror.
  • RichDC 12 Sep 2017 21:12:51 7,490 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just seen it and going in a sceptic I was pleasantly surprised. I pretty much agree with most of the comments here so far. I thought Pennywise was done brilliantly but despite the 2 hour plus runtime, it just felt like there wasn't enough of it. So much cut to the point where some of what's included (Bowers gang especially) almost feels pointless.

I don't know what the answer to that could be though. It couldn't be 5/6 hours long, and y really don't think a true horror like this could work as a tv series.

That all sounds overly negative. I liked it.
  • anephric 12 Sep 2017 22:46:24 2,680 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ubergine wrote:I can't name a single film where a large team of plucky 40-year olds band together for an adventure.
    Sleepers. More nonce revenge than an adventure but still.

In fact Sleepers is just like IT, but with nonces.
  • ubergine 13 Sep 2017 05:00:22 7,349 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Okay I'll pay that. I think they may have been thirties not forties but irrelevant, Sleepers would work with 40 year olds.

Forgot to report that I had fun with the ticket seller, just by not emphasising "IT". Conversation went
    "How much is it?"
    "$13 Tuesday"
    "Okay I'll see it."
    "... which movie was it?"
    "Yes."
    "..."
    "It hasn't started yet has it?"
    "Do you mean 'IT'?
    "Yes, that's it."
    etc. Or should I say IT-cetera.
    Ronnie Corbett rose out of the popcorn bins to shake my hand. He looked awful. I didn't buy any popcorn.
  • Tonka 13 Sep 2017 06:45:16 26,047 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    I can't name a single film where a large team of plucky 40-year olds band together for an adventure.
    The Hangover series? The World's End. Sideways maybe. They're all comedies.

Oh wait. Dreamcatcher! Southern Comfort... that other film where they get bumfucked by rednecks.

So either comedies or slight horror. And usually with people in their 30s rather 40s.
  • Trowel 13 Sep 2017 06:48:10 21,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jaws.
  • Tonka 13 Sep 2017 06:50:14 26,047 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    City Slickers
  • Mola_Ram 13 Sep 2017 07:17:58 15,957 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anything Adam Sandler has made in the last 10 years.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 13 Sep 2017 07:19:42 9,867 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Saving Private Ryan.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Sep 2017 07:30:44 15,957 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's a shame that the Dark Tower movie bombed. I wouldn't have minded seeing things in a connected Stephen King cinematic universe.
  • Load_2.0 13 Sep 2017 07:39:51 25,472 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ubergine wrote:

I can't name a single film where a large team of plucky 40-year olds band together for an adventure.
    Garibaldi Gangbang 6. The amazing gape.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 13 Sep 2017 07:44:49 9,867 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It's a shame that the Dark Tower movie bombed. I wouldn't have minded seeing things in a connected Stephen King cinematic universe.
    I'd be amazed if we don't see a bunch of remakes of his horror stuff after the success of this.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Sep 2017 07:49:37 15,957 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I'd be amazed if we don't see a bunch of remakes of his horror stuff after the success of this.
    Yeah, but the Dark Tower series is the one that (kind of) ties it all together.

I guess they could remake The Stand at least, if McCononoghey is still available.
  • Ultrasoundwave 13 Sep 2017 08:27:57 5,579 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the odds of a 'The Stand' movie just went up by about 400%.

Would love to see that done right.....
  • mangojoe 13 Sep 2017 08:29:06 1,389 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the Stand would pay off more with a 10 part Netflix series or something similar
  • Ultrasoundwave 13 Sep 2017 08:38:22 5,579 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You could say the same about IT really.

If they commit to a trilogy of 2 hour+ films I think you could do The Stand justice......especially considering there's a decent amount from the book that you could cut out.
  • Trowel 13 Sep 2017 09:40:11 21,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've always thought The Dark Tower would work best as an animated series; I don't think it suits reality - imagine how Thomas the Tank a CGI Blaine would look?
  • wuntyphyve 13 Sep 2017 09:43:56 9,152 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah there is far too much in The Stand for a film really. A netfilx series or something would be perfect. Damn. I hope that happens now actually.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Sep 2017 11:06:07 4,092 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gerald's Game is the next King adaptation for Netflix
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=twbGU2CqqQU

With The Mist that's two in quite quick succession so maybe they've got a co-production deal with him. His stuff is perfect for them really.
  • ubergine 13 Sep 2017 11:46:44 7,349 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Stand is garbage though. A great read, but garbage. There's virtually no plot and the key points are stupid.

Plague wipes out US (hundreds of pages) interesting but shapeless.
    Survivors band together with magic negro granny trope against satan trope
    The end is fucking stupid. Nothing the 'heroes' do has any bearing on the outcome.
  • wuntyphyve 13 Sep 2017 11:49:37 9,152 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    M-O-O-N, that spells you're talking bollocks. The Stand is awesome.
  • ubergine 13 Sep 2017 11:53:33 7,349 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    ubergine wrote:
    The Hangover series? The World's End. Sideways maybe. They're all comedies.

Oh wait. Dreamcatcher! Southern Comfort... that other film where they get bumfucked by rednecks.

So either comedies or slight horror. And usually with people in their 30s rather 40s.
    It's got to be a large team (eg The Magnificent 7) and really dependent on them being forty. I'd count The World's End. Team war movies are primarily 20-30 year olds with a grizzled veteran, doesn't count. (Someone said Saving Private Ryan. Nope.)

Generally, forty year old characters are purely, purely for the purpose of "Oh my god I have teen kids" or alternatively "Oh my god I don't have wife/kids". Which is pretty much The World's End and It Part 2 in a nutshell, so far as character work goes.
  • spindle9988 13 Sep 2017 11:58:00 4,573 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

The ending is so shit though. Even by King's standards.
  • ubergine 13 Sep 2017 12:00:08 7,349 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Stand and Needful Things have exactly the same ending.
    "Okay, ride's over. Irrelevant magic light kills the baddie. Now fuck off I've coke to snort." (King passes out) THE END.
  • Ultrasoundwave 13 Sep 2017 12:44:13 5,579 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

The ending is so shit though. Even by King's standards.
    As long as they get a talented writer and director (like they did for IT) I can see them fixing the ending.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.