F1 2017 practice targets impossible? Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• ModoX 4 Sep 2017 08:26:48 2,729 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    McLaren here, I fancied a challenge, just had to add a new engine at the Red Bull Ring thanks to the pre-patch wear issues, but it's much better now. still managed 9th too :) First time I've been in the points since I bumped the AI up.

Since I bought a wheel last week I've basically played nothing but this, the sheer act of driving the car around is loads of fun. AI is much better than last year too, I've been pushed off the track a few times, but never been hit unfairly which used to happen almost every race. Between that and getting used to the wheel, I'm no longer terrified for the entire first lap!
  • monkeyspasm 4 Sep 2017 08:46:14 2,946 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Since the patch, this is easily the best F1 game ever.
  • y2rich 4 Sep 2017 09:22:29 3,052 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Started with McLaren and the difficulty set to 70. Was 2nd in the championship when Red Bull came a knocking after the British Grand Prix and have won 4 of 4 races since by 30+ seconds. Think I need to up the difficulty a bit
  • ModoX 4 Sep 2017 12:08:35 2,729 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agree with monkeyspasm, I'm absolutely loving it. In many ways it is only an incremental upgrade over 16, but the general quality of life improvements are really good. It's my favourite racer of the year so far too - I loved Dirt 4 but that had too many issues that weren't addressed.

@y2rich you must be better than me! I'm still somewhere in the 50s, probably need to go up a bit since I managed a legit 9th place (with no performance upgrades all year cause it was all in durability) but nowhere near 70.

When did you start getting offers? Also I've been wondering, if you switch to another team for year 2, is the R&D tree partially filled in or are you starting from scratch?
  • AaronTurner 4 Sep 2017 12:20:31 9,423 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone else finding that their qualifying results don't stay for the race grid? I qualified 14th and started 17th without a penalty. Happened a few times now.
  • y2rich 4 Sep 2017 12:24:11 3,052 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ModoX Straight after the British Grand Prix. Had offers from Red Bull, Williams, Renault and Force India

Your R&D goes to whatever that team has been researching. At Red Bull they'd put improvements into the engine and chassis but not much into reliability. You also lose your acquired points

Edited by y2rich at 12:26:29 04-09-2017
  • y2rich 4 Sep 2017 12:25:04 3,052 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @AaronTurner might want to check you're not dropping down positions as the quali session ends. The screen has a tendency to flash past pretty quick at the end and you tend to miss drivers improving as the session ends
  • AaronTurner 4 Sep 2017 13:21:32 9,423 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nope, at the results of qualifying and the grid at the start of the race is different.
  • nowthenfella 4 Sep 2017 13:27:14 32 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a great game but it's knackered. Qualifying is broken with scripted times at the end of the session and apparently there is a nasty safety car bug as well. Codemasters have said that the engine wear is still no scaled correctly for 25% and 50% and are looking into it. Once they fix everything I will putting the hours in but until then I'm going to put the career mode on hold. Shame as the driving has never been better
  • Rhaegyr 4 Sep 2017 14:34:35 3,812 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm itching to buy this game but posts like the above really put me off.

I bought F1 2010 back in the day and loved the racing yet the bugs practically ruined the experience. Hopefully they can sort it sharpish so I can give them my money!
  • nowthenfella 4 Sep 2017 15:27:02 32 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You are probably best waiting until they fix the more serious stuff and by then it will cheaper anyway. The bugs will affect some more than others I think depending on personal preference etc but at least they should be all fixable and codemasters have been quick to respond with patches.

Some things like the qualifying times are mystifying though since it wasn't a problem in 2016.

The AI seems to be more aggressive which is good and I have had some fantastic battles in a few races.
  • samharper 4 Sep 2017 15:29:00 835 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Nope, at the results of qualifying and the grid at the start of the race is different.
    That's the time generation bug I'm taking issue to. If you watch someones hotlap onboard as the time ticks towards zero, if they're still on the lap you can see the sector times they've done so far. Then once the session is over, go to the race director and not only have they gone usually a whole second faster, the sector times are also completely different.
  • AaronTurner 4 Sep 2017 17:14:08 9,423 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But at the end of the session, when you've left qualifying it shows the final results, which are fine and I'm shown as 14th. Then on the grid for the race I'm suddenly 17th.
  • Dandy11 4 Sep 2017 17:22:31 83 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rhaegyr Buy it! It's a great game and this is coming from a Grand prix 4 fanboy.
  • samharper 4 Sep 2017 18:06:57 835 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    But at the end of the session, when you've left qualifying it shows the final results, which are fine and I'm shown as 14th. Then on the grid for the race I'm suddenly 17th.
    Oh I see, that is a different issue. Can't say I've seen it, but that's because I'm in the Sauber so losing 1 second means I'm last anyway.
  • ModoX 5 Sep 2017 08:58:46 2,729 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got the McLaren to 5th at Silverstone, turned the AI up a bit again now. Got offers from Sauber and Toro Rosso so went with the latter, looking forward to trying a different car! Hopefully I can get another upgrade at the end of the season as well.

Have to say, since the patch the engine wear seems ok for me, and I haven't had any issues anywhere else. I'm absolutely loving it.
  • superdelphinus 5 Sep 2017 10:40:20 9,369 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    After racking up about 20 hours or so now, I think this is a great game. It's certainly the best all round f1 'game' I've ever played I think. It doesn't quite have the fidelity of things like gp4 or iracing etc in terms of the driving experience but it's pretty bloody good.

As a whole game though I think it's a big step up on from what we've had previously. I particularly love the technical failures and damage you get now, it's completely changed the way I play the game. For example, the last race I did was Bahrain and my gearbox was on about 65% wear for the race (way more than schedule) and various bits of the power unit were getting rough. It makes you really think about how to run practice sessions efficiently and using old bits of equipment in them to save the better stuff for quali and the race.

In q2 I started the session to have a fuel pump issue and a countdown clock telling me I'd have about 7 mins to set a time by the time it was fixed. I loved that, was a cool bit of pressure and drama you don't get in other racing games.

In the race itself I was running in about 8th in a Renault on the last stint on a faster tyre than a slightly ailing ricciardo 10 seconds up the road. I was pounding hard and catching at about the right speed to catch him with a couple of laps left but then my gearbox started to miss gears. It fixed itself after a few laps but I had to make a decision to slow down and consolidate my position and save the car a bit. I don't think you get that depth in almost any other game and it's great.

Whereas in previous games you can just rag the car and are only really limited by tyres, now there are about 15 other things that are all affected by specific things in your driving style. For example, in previous games I generally did all practice sessions in lean fuel mode, but in this one that will cause increased wear in your energy store, so it's all about balance and thinking of the bigger picture.

The handling model is a step forward too, and the feedback is better than before. It's not at true sim levels (it's a weird comparison but it 'feels' like the difference between 40 and 60 fps in terms of its fidelity if that makes any sense) - and I see that in finding it more difficult to be really consistent, to the extent I can in iracing for example. I also feel the back end washing out unexpectedly some times too in slow/ medium corners, but I think this might be partly because of diff settings.

The only thing I don't really like is the event things between events. I've only done one so far but it felt like a bit of a weird arcade game thrown in the middle of something that is trying to be very realistic. Wish you could turn them off.

Overall I think it's a tremendous effort and they really seem to be hitting their stride in the last few iterations. I'm pretty crap at noticing bugs, but I've not seen any weird timing issues or crazy changes in pace between sessions yet. The AI are a bit tentative sometimes though.
  • Rhaegyr 5 Sep 2017 10:46:50 3,812 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Argh, think you've just convinced me to buy it on my lunch today.

Bastard :)
  • superdelphinus 5 Sep 2017 10:59:29 9,369 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :)
  • nowthenfella 5 Sep 2017 11:16:54 32 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It might be broken in places but it's not project cars at launch broken at least!
  • ModoX 5 Sep 2017 12:09:52 2,729 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Argh, think you've just convinced me to buy it on my lunch today.

Bastard :)
    Haha 😀 He's not wrong though, it's great. Not perfect but really feels like F1 more than any other game I've played.

By the way, I inadvertently found out you can skip those classic invitational, back out of the choice between the two then progress to the next weekend. I enjoy the opportunity to drive the classic cars, without those I probably wouldn't bother to try out the classic stuff, I'd just be in career the whole time.

I'm 20 hours in now and feel like I might actually finish the season and carry on, which I don't usually. Just see how much I keep up with that when Destiny and PCars 2 are out.
  • monkman76 5 Sep 2017 13:28:26 11,592 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When's PCars 2 out?
  • ModoX 5 Sep 2017 14:11:17 2,729 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @monkman76 22nd September I think. I keep watching videos of it on YT, loads of streamers have early access and are very positive about it, when most of them weren't keen on the first. It looks quite nice.
  • samharper 5 Sep 2017 15:27:40 835 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @superdelphinus I think I agree with your write up, that pretty much sums up how I feel about it too. I just cannot get over the qualifying bug.

The streamers on YouTube are being very positive about PCars 2 but watching the gameplay it seems like some glaring problems from the first one are still there, the AI still looks really, really shonky and the tracks still look like they have nearly no feel at all. And the UI is till a massive mess.

Edited by samharper at 15:30:06 05-09-2017
  • Rhaegyr 5 Sep 2017 16:26:01 3,812 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Any tips for someone who hasn't played an F1 game since 2010?

Also - what are the multiplayer options like on this? Is there a co-op career?

I have a couple of cousins who I think I could convince to pick it up but if there's a co-op career I'll just convince one of them :)
  • superdelphinus 5 Sep 2017 17:12:49 9,369 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd just start with time trial on a track you like and just do lap after lap of building things up nicely
  • Phil616 6 Sep 2017 01:18:21 20 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Anyone playing multiplayer have the game suddenly go back to the dashboard on xbone? Happend to me tonight where i was sat in the car on the grid and when i pressed A to start the race it went straight to the dash, only time its happened. I know it does this on pc but anyone had it happen on a consloe?
  • Rhaegyr 7 Sep 2017 10:35:45 3,812 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So - this is great!

One issue I'm having though (which seems slightly common) is the Qualifying bug where I'll finish my session near the end of Q1 in say 10th and then the AI beats my time by nearly 2 seconds, pushing me down to around 15th :/

Any workarounds for this? Also - what system are most people playing on? I'm on PS4 and would love the odd race against fellow EG'ers!
  • superdelphinus 7 Sep 2017 13:35:56 9,369 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I play on pc and that doesn't seem to happen, in fact it is remarkably bug free. The only thing I've had is Davidson banging on about safety cars changing the race, in races where there was blatantly no safety car!

Having said that, in the very first quali in oz i was about 8th but ended up in 15th at the death when the session had ended, but I put this down to a drying track. But perhaps not.
  • samharper 7 Sep 2017 18:18:30 835 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm still pretty irritated by the bugs in career mode but I've decided to do some of the Championships instead. The classic season one is absolutely fantastic, there's only points for the top 6 so if you're not in the top end cars of the era (F2004, RB6) it's critical to just go as fast as you can. And you can go damn fast, I'm in the 2008 McLaren and what it lacks in traction control it makes up for with insane changes of direction. You feel like you're barely in control in the wet, but with minimal tyre wear and such a light car it's just fantastic fun.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.