The Surge (sci-fi Soulslike) - PC, PS4, XB1

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 May 2017 08:00:47 1,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Apologies if there's already a thread for this - I've searched and then manually crawled the first 10 pages or so without finding one.

So basically, a new sci-fi themed Souls-inspired game from the studio that made Lords of the Fallen. Other than the sci-fi setting, the main distinguishing theme seems to be the ability to dismember robotic enemies and use their limbs as weapons.

Official site here.

Going off trailers and screenshots, this looks fairly decent, but we all know those can be misleading. Despite the game only being around 48 hours from release, I don't see any reviews yet, implying a fairly tight embargo. Anybody got any better clues as to whether or not this will be decent? Lords of the Fallen was sort-of ok, but I'm not sure I'd want to shell out for more of the same with a different colour palette.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 14 May 2017 08:03:00 6,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Destructoid gave it 7.5 and were quite positive about it. I'm hoping to get it as a rental so I may be able to update later in the week.
  • GoodForm 14 May 2017 11:47:41 1,491 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I hated Lords of the Fallen, which was a collaboration between Deck 16, which has made this, and CI games. It was a blurry mess on consoles, with terrible technical art direction. I felt like it missed the point of Soulsborne games, in that it didn't feel particularly fair. So many cheap shots.

The Surge looks interesting though. Quite like that the game lets the player target individual body parts.

Always thought that Dead Space-like strategic dismemberment would go great with a Soulsborne-type of game, though I think it would feel much better if it wasn't lock-on combat, but rather worked with very elaborate and weapon-specific dynamic crosshairs, which accurately reflect the moveset of each weapon, and allow the player to accurately and confidently dismember whatever the game throws at them.

The thought of hacking foes into bits Monty Python-stlye makes me salivate with anticipation. In early trailers, Capcom's Deep Down looked like it might do something like that. I distinctly remember them targeting a monsters knee with a spear, making it first fall, and then limp. Shame it seems to have been vapourware.
  • SomaticSense 14 May 2017 12:14:37 14,922 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm sorry, I think this looks really unappealing.

I was on board with 'sci-fi Souls', but not one that goes for the most generic looking industrial environments ever, damage sponge enemies, and weightless floaty looking combat.

Edited by SomaticSense at 12:16:20 14-05-2017
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 May 2017 12:28:13 1,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @SomaticSense That's kind of my worry after Lords of the Fallen. LotF looked and sounded like a Souls game, but the combat lacked the immediacy and heft of Souls combat. There was none of the feeling of physicality that underlies Souls and attacks definitely felt "floaty". And yeah... damage sponge enemies. A lot of the LotF enemies had very, very simple attack patterns, but compensated with masses of health.
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 May 2017 12:41:07 5,465 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    From what I can gather, this isn't just Lords of the Fallen with sci-fi.

There is a new creative director, a new technical director and the developer have boosted the rest of their staff due to the success of LOTF.

ACG did an interview on YouTube with the new creative director and he explained that a lot has changed and there have been big improvements from LOTF......which I personally thought was a decent game anyway.

Optimistic about this.
  • ChiefGB 14 May 2017 12:41:36 6,752 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It certainly looks like one that could fall either side, likely decent at best but could well be bland and uninspiring. I have been curious as to how the game reviews, but I think in reality we all know it's not looking like the second coming. Hasn't anyone got this early yet or isn't it even selling? I can see it price dropping before too long as well.
  • funkstar 14 May 2017 12:41:50 3,186 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I asked Johnny Chiodini what he thought about this as I found the idea appealing, unfortunately he wasn't too impressed by it.

However there's a quick look on Giant Bomb where Brad seems pretty hot on the game
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 May 2017 12:42:23 1,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    It certainly looks like one that could fall either side, likely decent at best but could well be bland and uninspiring. I have been curious as to how the game reviews, but I think in reality we all know it's not looking like the second coming. Hasn't anyone got this early yet or isn't it even selling? I can see it price dropping before too long as well.
    PC version is already substantially discounted on cdkeys and even on the Humble store.
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 May 2017 12:43:53 5,465 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • DJBobHoskins 14 May 2017 13:24:36 155 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Someone asked Metro Gamecentral recently whether they had received their review copy yet and they replied they were playing through it and 'you can tell it's by the makers of Lords of the Fallen...' which hasn't filled me with confidence.
  • neems 14 May 2017 13:51:27 3,349 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jim Sterling has a quick impression piece up on the tube as well.
  • vDoll 14 May 2017 13:55:26 2,372 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The locations definitely look a bit generic and the whole thing smacks of a AA budget European knock-off buy when it's 15 quid and probably never finish.
  • Frogofdoom 14 May 2017 13:57:29 5,225 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Think this is going to bomb massively, there is almost no buzz for it at all.
  • Coughthulu 14 May 2017 16:36:22 210 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got my copy of this yesterday, and have played through the first area. If you liked/enjoyed Lords of the Fallen, this is essentially more of the same. Multiplier for 'scrap' (read souls) the longer you survive without banking it at an 'Operations Centre' (bonfire), two different starting classes (tank and rogue) with appropriate movement speeds and defence, various types of weapons which level up the more you use them, crafting and upgrades for all armour/weapons (you target particular limbs to get schematics for the type of armour the enemy is wearing on that limb)... it really is LotF in a scifi setting (that so far is a bit generic, but has had a few neat ideas). I think they've tightened up the world design in general though, several shortcuts through areas instead of just the usual one, and some interesting level layouts.

Basically, if LotF seemed too generic for you, you probably won't like this. Personally I found it a passable Soulsalike, and this seems more of the same. Won't set the world alight, but is certainly not awful. 7/10 so far. :)

Edited by Coughthulu at 16:55:09 14-05-2017
  • Mr_Sleep 14 May 2017 17:39:54 21,105 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It has piqued my interest, hopefully it isn't as buvgy amd janky as lords of the fallen.
  • Coughthulu 14 May 2017 18:11:39 210 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, I forgot about the camera. Very few games have made me nauseas, but the default camera on this did. It hovers very closely behind the protagonist, and it had me headachey and feeling a bit unwell within ten mins. Turn off 'Smoothing' and reduce the sensitivity, however, and all is well.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 14 May 2017 18:18:47 6,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    ChiefGB wrote:
    PC version is already substantially discounted on cdkeys and even on the Humble store.
    Since when is paying 36 for a PC game a substantial discount?
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 May 2017 18:40:25 38,444 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Rogueywon wrote:
    ChiefGB wrote:

10 years? Most new PC games have been 60 EUR = 50 GBP for ages.

I wouldn't say "already discounted" though, it's just normal CD key prices.

Edited by UncleLou at 18:45:36 14-05-2017
  • BigOrkWaaagh 14 May 2017 18:57:26 6,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Rogueywon wrote:
    ChiefGB wrote:

10 years? Most new PC games have been 60 EUR = 50 GBP for ages.

I wouldn't say "already discounted" though, it's just normal CD key prices.
    I have never seen a PC game at 50 ever and I am accustomed to paying under 30 (mostly thanks to CD Keys).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 May 2017 20:22:19 1,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @UncleLou Sorry, it shows as cheaper for me on Humble, but I just realised that's because I have the monthly subscriber discount.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 May 2017 21:23:00 38,444 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh Fair enough. I sometimes forget that PC games are (still) cheaper in the UK, even on Steam.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 May 2017 21:30:16 1,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Definitely a recent trend towards AAA PC games selling digitally at full RRP and staying there for longer than they used to, though. Civ6 held on at 50 for ages. You can get it for less now, but it took a long time.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 15 May 2017 04:59:43 6,013 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Apologies if there's already a thread for this - I've searched and then manually crawled the first 10 pages or so without finding one.

So basically, a new sci-fi themed Souls-inspired game from the studio that made Lords of the Fallen.
    Sci-Fi Souls piqued my interest and then I stopped reading at Lords of the Fallen.

LotF was a horrible game, a (very) poor mans Dark Souls with bland repetitive maps.

Suffice to say, I won't be buying The Surge.

Edited by Furtive_Pygmy at 05:00:01 15-05-2017
  • UncleLou Moderator 15 May 2017 08:22:17 38,444 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Furtive_Pygmy Well, I understand (and share) your scepticism, but it's possible they've made a better game this time, no? I won't categorically rule out buying it at some point just because LotF was a bit shit.

From the 3 or 4 let's plays I've looked into, all of them really liked the combat, for example.

I am disappointed it's a melee-only game, though. It's about time someone makes a Souls-like shooter.

Edited by UncleLou at 08:23:18 15-05-2017
  • ChiefGB 15 May 2017 10:10:03 6,752 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No reviews still yet which isn't going to help those still sat on the fence like myself.
    It does seem restrictive in terms of gameplay because of their choices, whether the loot structure is deep enough to keep the interest is another thing it could have going for it. It looked fairly "soulless" to me on twitch last night if you'll excuse the pun.
  • shamblemonkee 15 May 2017 10:12:38 17,211 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks like the epitome of 7/10 to me. Decent but has flaws. Pick up when cheap unless you desperatly need a new soulsalike
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2017 10:30:40 1,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Looks like the epitome of 7/10 to me. Decent but has flaws. Pick up when cheap unless you desperatly need a new soulsalike
    That's what my gut says as well. The kind of thing which comes out just short of a "Recommended" in the new scores-less Eurogamer. More good than bad, but not enough to wholeheartedly justify a full-price purchase.

Think I'll hang on for a) reviews and b) if reviews are as I anticipate, the price to drop to the 20-25 range.
  • Derblington 15 May 2017 11:02:00 28,648 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jim Sterling and Total Biscuit both like it in their impressions pieces. The only reason I mention them is that they're two notoriously difficult people to impress, and I wouldn't have expected a Souls-like clone in sci-fi trapping to do so.
  • shamblemonkee 15 May 2017 11:52:37 17,211 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    the suit chip customisation looks cool, the design looks nice, what seems off currently is the environments seemed a but copy and paste with each other and some of the movement and weight of movement looked a little odd?

I liked LotF well enough despite it's issues but it was certainly what i'd term a 'summer game'
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.