The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild Page 112

• Page

of 135 First / Last

• mickerty 19 Mar 2017 22:36:42 44 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Every time gannon is mentioned, i think of the Limmmys Show sketch with Dee Dee - "Mmm Danin".

Mmm Gannon.

Every time.
  • DangerousDave_87 20 Mar 2017 00:56:54 1,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I wasted yet another day off work playing this. I've now clocked 65 hours according to my Switch, but i'm playing so slowly. I've still only claimed the one Guardian and i've completed about 40 Shrines (including a Major Test of Strength one!).

It'll be the death of me, but i've always had a fascination about maps and such. Much like in real life when I move house or flat, I feel the need to explore my surroundings in great detail. It's getting to the point now that I don't actually need a map for any of the areas i've uncovered.

The next time I play I should probably be more productive. I've still to visit Akkala and find this Robbie guy. No doubt that's going to be a great help.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 00:57:26 20-03-2017
  • mothercruncher 20 Mar 2017 07:26:15 12,824 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Calamity Gannon sounds like a hapless Wild West old timer, odd choice of name.

• Mfolf 20 Mar 2017 07:31:39 417 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Discovered how to take down guardians with my shield and now they are probably the easiest enemy in the game.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 20 Mar 2017 07:38:28 106 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    @SuperCoolEskimo I felt the same about that stage in the game. Just seemed empty and unstructured. 20 odd hours further on and I'm really appreciating those same things. You probable need to go on an explore and forget the plot for a while.
  • deez 20 Mar 2017 08:02:28 133 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well I found the Zora beast pretty tough, mainly as I was using arrows and bombs to smash the ice... I've now read that wasn't the simplest way..
  • RyanDS 20 Mar 2017 08:36:05 11,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Third beast down.  Really liked that one.  Nice logical puzzles, fairly easy for my brain on the morning commute and a fun boss.  The wind ganon one

Just need to get some fireproof gear and start on the volcano area now.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 20 Mar 2017 09:42:59 106 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    deez wrote:
    Well I found the Zora beast pretty tough, mainly as I was using arrows and bombs to smash the ice... I've now read that wasn't the simplest way..
    That's the one I've been "asked" to do first. I've bravely declined for now. 5 hearts, a traveller's sword and a tendency to go into a crouch while looking intently through my scope at the ground while in the middle of a fight suggests to me I'm not quite ready.
  • monkman76 20 Mar 2017 10:00:57 11,348 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haha, I know that move - that's born of Heavy Thumb Syndrome :)
  • Duffking 20 Mar 2017 10:01:14 13,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Mfolf I know about this but I find it really inconsistent. I either press too early and eat shit or too late (at least according to the game, because I fucking know I hit the button, game) and break my shield. I wait for the flash and if I press immediately it's too early, if I wait a beat it's too late. Takes like 5 goes for me usually.
  • Salaman 20 Mar 2017 13:56:06 22,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    I had that exact dialogue last night a bit after midnight.
    Props to the guy/gal that realised "I can reload, strip and find a compromising camera angle for comedy effect!"
  • chrisp 20 Mar 2017 14:10:13 890 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Duffking Yeah I still haven't got the timing down. I think it's partly because I start to panic. I've gone through so many shields trying to perfect guard the guardian's laser. My usual response when a guardian awakens near me is to run away screaming, so I guess I'm just not getting the practice in!
  • Kay 20 Mar 2017 16:39:36 18,944 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Over 60 hours spent on this game now since release day... which, as someone pointed out to me, is the equivalent of spending more than a full day out of each week playing it.

Honestly can't remember the last time I hammered a game this hard in such a short space of time. And I've only done 37 shrines and two of the Divine Beasts. O_o
  • Gl3n Moderator 20 Mar 2017 16:59:38 6,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just got the second beast down. I've spent a lot of time now unlocking stuff and doing side missions in the East. It's starting to feel more gamey than before though.

Having so many shrines about mean that it's actually really easy to expand your area knowledge, it seems the older times of really adventuring out have calmed down a lot. Sadface.
  • MatMan562 20 Mar 2017 17:00:55 3,348 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    After over 70 hours I just completed the main quest with all of the Divine Beasts, 80 shrines and over 120 Korok Seeds. This is, without a doubt, my favourite game of all time! I've always loved Zelda ever since I was a kid with Ocarina of Time and never thought another game would surpass that one but BotW has done it for me. That's not to say that it's a perfect game at all but what few faults there are are easily ignored.

Without going into specifics to not spoil them for anyone else, there were several things in this game that made me give an audible "whoa", whether it was some kind of reference to an older Zelda game I wasn't expecting, some kind of cool or unique item, some grand spectacle or even just a really nice view. I don't think any other game has elicited that kind of response from me before so to have one game do it many times is very impressive.

Hyrule in this game, I believe, will change how game worlds are built from here on. It doesn't matter where you go in this world you will find something worthwhile. As someone who's favourite part of any game is exploration I especially loved this as it really rewarded my "I wonder what's over there" mindset.

Apart from some of the technical aspects, my biggest complaint with the game is probably the durability of weapons. I feel like if they'd balanced it out a little more so that there were fewer weapons in the game but each one lasted a little longer it'd make finding a new one even more exciting. But, that aspect was far better than I feared before actually playing the game myself.

There's a lot I'd like to talk about with this game but I'd hate to spoil any part of it for anyone so will leave it there. In short, if any game beats this game as my favourite of all time within my life time I will be incredibly surprised. I think a sequel could easily be better, but it would lose a lot of the sense of discovery that makes this one so fantastic.
  • Daryoon 20 Mar 2017 18:12:35 5,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Last night I went on a rampage, twatting enemies with a giant steel door, then using said door to surf over the treetops to my next destination.

This is probably one of the reasons I rarely break weapons outside of the hammers required for aforementioned surfing.
  • Captain_Toad 20 Mar 2017 19:53:49 100 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Yiga hideout dusted first time.  Stealth suit and copious use of bananas saw to that! 
  • KRadiation 20 Mar 2017 21:27:09 1,112 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't feel the love for this game at first. My first zelda so a lot of the novelty has no effect on me.
    Spent a good few hours just ticking off shrines building up my hearts and climbing the towers to reveal the map.

Bit by bit I've grown.. expanding my inventory and hearts/ stamina. Which gave me the courage to explore further out. I'm miles behind most of you guys I feel... I'm very poorly kitted out clothing wise... Ive had to survive the heat and cold by using elemental weapons and abandon countless fights.. but I've just ticked off Vah Ruta which felt fucking awesome and can now think about hunting and trying to build up some rupees before I plan the next beast.

Such a great game and I think even better because every single discovery and achievement I've made felt like I earnt it
    No checkpoint driven story guiding me along.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 20 Mar 2017 22:21:54 46,334 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I did Ruta as well tonight. Took me far too long I think! Some good puzzling in there.
  • KRadiation 20 Mar 2017 22:50:24 1,112 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Those moments of "oh of course!" Had me laughing at myself for not realising them sooner. The time I wasted throwing bombs and jumping around and then just standing there watching everything... only to go... yeah still no idea.
  • Carlo 20 Mar 2017 23:20:03 19,545 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Third beast down.  Really liked that one.  Nice logical puzzles, fairly easy for my brain on the morning commute and a fun boss.  The wind ganon one

Just need to get some fireproof gear and start on the volcano area now.
    Exactly where I am in the game too. 42 shrines so I have enough hearts to go after that thing he mentioned...
  • Captain_Toad 21 Mar 2017 00:06:10 100 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    So, Daqo Chisay shrine. That bad boy where you have to route electricity using a block and a barrel to unlock another block and a barrel that allows you to fully route and solve the shrine.

Well, I couldnt figure it out so I started dropping metal weapons and routed the electricity that way.  None of the guides mention that so am pretty chuffed that although too stupid to solve it the "correct" way, I instead did it my own way :)

Edited by Captain_Toad at 00:08:09 21-03-2017
  • ChiefGB 21 Mar 2017 00:23:36 6,166 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just working my way towards gerudo town.......it's all become a bit of a drag ;)
  • ChiefGB 21 Mar 2017 00:41:34 6,166 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Captain_Toad wrote:
    So, Daqo Chisay shrine. That bad boy where you have to route electricity using a block and a barrel to unlock another block and a barrel that allows you to fully route and solve the shrine.

Well, I couldnt figure it out so I started dropping metal weapons and routed the electricity that way.  None of the guides mention that so am pretty chuffed that although too stupid to solve it the "correct" way, I instead did it my own way :)
    Literally done that about an hour ago, the shrine that is. Happened to be carrying similar weapons, but where's the fun it that ;) did it the long way, much more rewarding for me but yeah it's neat the way everything has options.
  • Daryoon 21 Mar 2017 02:06:46 5,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Took my door to the top of the Duelling Peaks, where I used it to beat up a Stone Tallus.
  • RobTheBuilder 21 Mar 2017 06:04:33 6,717 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Captain_Toad wrote:

Damn, that's smart. I love the ability to create your own solutions like that.
  • ModoX 21 Mar 2017 08:04:29 2,189 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @KRadiation oh hey, there's the other person that doesn't usually play Zelda, hi!

Glad to hear about your journey with it, I'm only a couple of hours in, but enjoying myself so far. I'm looking forward to getting to that point where I feel I can explore at my leisure.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 21 Mar 2017 08:05:42 7,406 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The game had an incredibly strong internal logic. Possibly the best I've ever known. You rarely come up against invisible walls (in the metaphorical sense).

Edited by You-can-call-me-kal at 08:06:00 21-03-2017
  • quadfather 21 Mar 2017 08:53:19 25,750 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ModoX wrote:
    @KRadiation oh hey, there's the other person that doesn't usually play Zelda, hi!

Glad to hear about your journey with it, I'm only a couple of hours in, but enjoying myself so far. I'm looking forward to getting to that point where I feel I can explore at my leisure.
    /Waves

I'm new to Zelda too!
  • Switch024 21 Mar 2017 09:12:41 1,194 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather How you getting on with it Quad?
  • Page

of 135 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.