Wipeout Omega Collection Page 19

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• SomaticSense 28 Jun 2017 13:40:52 15,019 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sebenco Climb looks glorious, but I don't look forward to playing it.

However it's not worse than Modesto Heights. Fuck that track.
  • Ceelion 28 Jun 2017 13:48:20 413 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky The races suffer from incredibly strange AI, as you can see from my whinging throughout the thread.

It ends up just having to put an hour into each race, getting the luck of the draw, and really mastering those air brake turns, especially on Phantom.

My entire Phantom races were just me mashing the absorb button until I got a boost, or an Auto Pilot on races with stupid corners like Sebenco, UberMall.

Seriously though, Fuck Sebenco.
  • Ceelion 28 Jun 2017 13:52:59 413 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @SomaticSense Oh great. I've just watched a youtube run through of that track.

Can't wait to multiply my grey hair by 1000 again.
  • aceldama 28 Jun 2017 14:10:47 38 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Sebenco is the hardest track. I was finding the race on phantom elite difficult so instead of continuing to bang my head against a brick wall I spent about 15 minutes repeating the phantom speedlap for it until I was getting consistently good laps then won the race on my first attempt after.

I like the Dark Souls comparison from the other page. If you think it's the luck of the draw or the AIs are cheating bastards you need to git gud.

Race management is an important part of it. To nitpick the video on the previous page: you were on 9 health and used the turbo instead of absorbing it that's a big mistake, if your health is that low you always have to sacrifice the pick up no matter how good it is IMO. Then when you went over the big jump still on low health but didn't go for the weapon pad, I get it was near the end and you were going for a win but you were taking big risks. It's like in a Souls game where you think you've almost killed the boss then start attacking it recklessly.
  • Ceelion 28 Jun 2017 14:18:25 413 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @aceldama If it was pure racing, I'd agree with you 100%. But it's not. So I don't.

Of course it's down to knowing the tracks back to front, good racing lines, and hitting your boost pads. That I'm with you on.

But when there's an RNG element like the weapon pads, and bombs and mines being dropped left, right, and centre, there will always be an element of good old fashioned luck.

Also, if I didn't boost / hit the boost pad at the end I would have come second. DIE TRYING... or something.
  • aceldama 28 Jun 2017 14:57:26 38 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Get your nose far enough in front and the weapons can't hit you. Get ruined by weapons in the first lap then yeah chalk it up to luck, restart and win it through skill second time round.
  • FuzzyDucky 28 Jun 2017 15:37:14 2,138 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    aceldama wrote:

I like the Dark Souls comparison from the other page. If you think it's the luck of the draw or the AIs are cheating bastards you need to git gud
    Nope, this is bullshit. I'm Elite passing every event without much effort bar the races... I'm within 0.07 seconds of "Beat Zico", Zone Mode is consistently above 70, can Elite pass some of those time trials first time. Cheating bastard AI is the order of the day here, and it's plain to see.

The game is horrendously balanced if one mode is an order of magnitude more difficult.

Are you vizzini?

Edited by FuzzyDucky at 15:38:21 28-06-2017
  • Ceelion 28 Jun 2017 15:50:28 413 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @aceldama But you don't start in front. You start in 8th place at the beginning of every race.

One cannot simply 'git gud' to win. One must also be up all night to 'git lucky'.
  • FuzzyDucky 28 Jun 2017 16:40:05 2,138 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Ceelion Haha, yeah you're running the race of your life one minute and stuck in last, then floundering through but somehow in first.

I think it does feel easier than HD/Fury on PS3 (seriously wanted to hop my pad off the wall at times) but still cheap as fuck.
  • infoxicated 28 Jun 2017 16:44:02 1,471 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    When we were making Pure I argued for the grid to be randomised. My reasoning being that starting from the back all the time in single player wouldn't prepare the player for the experience in multiplayer when they would occasionally have to lead from the front.

I was told that WipEout had always had the player start from the back against the AI and that was the blueprint we were sticking to. I didn't argue my case very hard, but heck I wish I had - it seems so primitive having the human player start from the back these days. :\
  • IronGiant 28 Jun 2017 16:58:45 5,550 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wow a real life ex-WipEout developer in here!

What happened after Pure, are you still working in the industry?
  • thelzdking 28 Jun 2017 17:01:11 5,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So someone in this thread can actually port it to the PC for me? There's a crate of lager and my eternal gratitude in this for you infoxicated!
  • FuzzyDucky 28 Jun 2017 17:07:01 2,138 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    IronGiant wrote:
    Wow a real life ex-WipEout developer in here!

What happened after Pure, are you still working in the industry?
    /Waves at infoxicated

Can forum user intoxicated shed some light on cheating-bastard AI?

I never had these issues, not even on 2097 with my AG Systems vs. cpu Piranha

Edited by FuzzyDucky at 19:37:26 28-06-2017
  • SomaticSense 28 Jun 2017 18:57:08 15,019 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    aceldama wrote:
    Get your nose far enough in front and the weapons can't hit you. Get ruined by weapons in the first lap then yeah chalk it up to luck, restart and win it through skill second time round.
    In theory you're right, but in reality it's bollocks.

Firstly, you start in last place, so you can't usually get into first until the latter third of the race unless you are on the easiest difficulty and on the slower speed classes. Secondly, the AI is never allowed to get too far behind you due to typical racing game rubberbanding (and... *badum tish*... weapons!). Thirdly, Quakes.

It makes me wonder if you've played the game enough to offer that kind of advice tbh.
  • FuzzyDucky 28 Jun 2017 19:34:03 2,138 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    aceldama wrote:

Firstly, you start in last place, so you can't usually get into first until the latter third of the race unless you are on the easiest difficulty and on the slower speed classes. Secondly, the AI is never allowed to get too far behind you due to typical racing game rubberbanding (and... *badum tish*... weapons!). Thirdly, Quakes.

It makes me wonder if you've played the game enough to offer that kind of advice tbh.
    It smacks of when vizzini told everyone to git good a Pro Evo when the keepers let in almost every shot by compensating with an incredible defense.
  • Ceelion 28 Jun 2017 20:05:01 413 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right. That's it. There's only one way to settle this.

RRRAAAACCCCEEEEEEEEE.

Ceelions is my psn. Add me, because I'm lazy.
  • SomaticSense 28 Jun 2017 20:05:37 15,019 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Waving off legitimate and well explained constructive criticism with unironic 'git gud' responses has become a cancer of the gaming community imo.
  • infoxicated 29 Jun 2017 10:43:54 1,471 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @IronGiant After Pure we made Pulse. :)

Not any more - I left just before WipEout HD was released.
  • ChrisOTR 29 Jun 2017 12:29:14 1,328 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @infoxicated Thanks for your contributions to an awesome game. One question if you don't mind. I personally have always seen Wipeout as a time trialling game which just happens to have racing and shooting bolted on. They're okay, but time trialling is the key bit for me. Were there people on the project who felt that way too? Or was the team fully supportive of the weapons aspect?
  • aceldama 29 Jun 2017 15:03:00 38 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    aceldama wrote:

I've elite gold passed everything in 2048, HD and Fury except half of the A+ challenges which I started doing yesterday. Is that playing the game enough? I said before: get a couple of seconds in front and the quakes won't hit you, I've beaten AI by quite big margins so I'm skeptical of blaming rubber banding. If people don't like the phrase "git gud" how about "practice makes perfect" instead, once you've got the line down the elite AIs are nothing to be afraid of.

Ceelion wrote:
    Right. That's it. There's only one way to settle this.

RRRAAAACCCCEEEEEEEEE.

Ceelions is my psn. Add me, because I'm lazy.
    I don't pay for PS+, I'll happily cede you a win by default :p
  • Ceelion 29 Jun 2017 15:05:58 413 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, that was lucky.
  • infoxicated 30 Jun 2017 12:54:44 1,471 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChrisOTR My contributions to the actual game weren't particularly critical. I started a fan site for it and then got a job at Studio Liverpool, then ended up on the game team. I did web integration work (official website - that kind of thing) and I wrote the back story content for the teams and fictional entities. Ultimately the game could have been made without me being there, though, so I'm realistically humble about my contribution. :)

Sure, there were people on the team who preferred the time trial aspect of it. Me being one of them - I'm more of a sim racing fan than an arcade racing fan, so I prefer time trial. The producer on Pure, Pulse and HD liked to just thrash out laps too - I believe that's where Speed Lap came from. I didn't get the difference between that and Time Trial at first, but Speed Lap makes a lot of sense if you're just wanting to perfect a track and then throw everything at a single lap.

I argued for not having barrel rolls in Time Trials or Speed Lap as they were too arcadey for my liking, but once the cat was out of the bag at E3 the year Pure came out they ended up in all game modes. Still feel they taint the game all these years later, actually - the lead designer and me still disagree on the matter to this day. :)
  • ChrisOTR 30 Jun 2017 14:35:06 1,328 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @infoxicated Yeah I like the dynamic of speed lap. You have to make a judgement call part of the way through the lap of whether you're on a "hot one", and if you're not it makes sense to save your boost for just before the start line of the next lap.

I'm really in two minds about barrels rolls. They're definitely arcadey and I don't like that aspect, but when you nail one it does feel great!

Thanks, that was insightful.
  • ModoX 1 Jul 2017 10:11:10 2,675 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interesting stuff. Speed lap is absolute perfection, any time trial should be all about one hot lap, and I agree about taking out barrel rolls, I'm all for getting it as pure as possible just focused on the perfect line.
  • SomaticSense 1 Jul 2017 20:11:29 15,019 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I hate the barrel rolls too.

I feel like you could take them out and the game would lose nothing except those swear words you utter when the stupid input method triggers by accident and you plough into a corner. Even when you nail them they feel clunky due to that violent analog wiggle.
  • dankcushions 2 Jul 2017 10:08:16 284 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    i don't like the double-tap air brake shunt. i feel like it's too easy to do it by accident. i imagine it's really useful for getting certain corners at speed, though.

the barrel rolls are fine but they're sometimes a fiddle with the stick. i might switch to using the d-pad, actually. i always used to use dpad in wipeout 3 as i'd gotten so use to it in 1 and 2097.

quite deep into HD now and i think i prefer it to 2048. the races seem to be much tighter with the AI crowding around you more. also the graphical style is that bit more traditional wipeout, rather than gritty cyber future, or whatever.

Edited by dankcushions at 22:41:43 02-07-2017
  • Bombonera 2 Jul 2017 10:50:23 404 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do you guys think it's worth paying an extra pound for the version that has the classic PS1 sleeve?
  • SomaticSense 2 Jul 2017 12:55:28 15,019 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's a cardboard sleeve, so only you know if something like that is worth a quid to you or not.
  • Ceelion 2 Jul 2017 13:49:14 413 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm surprised to see so many people race with the analogue stick.

I'm in assagai for every speed lap / race / TT, and it's twitchy as hell on the stick. With the d-pad, it's a lot easier to control. Tried using a heavier ship and it was like trying to drive a tank at Mach 1.
  • Ceelion 2 Jul 2017 13:49:49 413 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, Sebenco Climb is still the hardest map in HD/Fury. Stupid bloody mountain.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.