Xbox One X

• Page

of 88 First / Last

Previous
  • Psiloc 26 May 2016 10:55:03 4,051 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Couldn't see a dedicated thread, and the PS4 Neo has one so:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-25-more-powerful-xbox-one-planned-for-2017-report

Personally it makes way more sense to me than the Neo. Xbox has never historically had the weakest console and has survived to a good extent on having the strongest third party ports. With the PS4 being more powerful and the NX around the corner I can understand their wanting to react in some way, but I'm still not completely sold on these mid-gen upgrades as a concept.

Edited by Psiloc at 10:56:22 26-05-2016
  • Jyzzy-Z 26 May 2016 10:56:34 2,149 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
  • Derblington 26 May 2016 10:57:09 29,191 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They didn't have the strongest ports because it was the most powerful console, it was because it was the easiest console to build for.
  • Psiloc 26 May 2016 11:06:35 4,051 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    True enough for the 360 (OG Xbox was certainly more powerful though). But one way or the other they always had the better ports for the most part.
  • richarddavies 26 May 2016 11:15:21 5,979 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Soon as I heard about the neo, my first thought was "what have Microsoft got coming out then?"

I just couldn't get my head around why the market leader would be bringing out a new console (so to speak) so soon.
  • Psiloc 26 May 2016 11:22:56 4,051 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep, same. I'd be very unsurprised to find out that internally, MS were moving first and Neo is a response to that, rather than vice versa. I expect Sony just leaked first.

As an aside, I couldn't help myself and I just had to look at what was going on on those Mister X Media forums after this announcement. Turns out they're rather upset that MS are choosing not to activate the "secret sauce" that would make the X1 2-3x more powerful than the PS4.

What MS did is VERY anti-customer...forcing us buy new console when current is not tapped yet only because 'we need to move to Apples model and get more money'.
  • LittleSparra 26 May 2016 11:24:59 6,768 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's rich me saying this, but I'm not sure how it's really worth giving much attention to such minor loons as those Mister X Media types. Batshit lot, as I understand it.

I'll be interested in a new Xbone if it's priced right, but tbh I'll probably just stick with what I got and add a PS4 normal type if that price drops a lot.
  • Phattso 26 May 2016 11:28:06 21,809 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I reckon the biggest marked for Neo and Scopio both will be people that picked the other console at the start of the gen. If they're priced right, XBOne owners might be tempted to sample all the delights on the Other Side and vice versa.
  • Phattso 26 May 2016 11:28:23 21,809 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    (if Scorpio does turn out to support the Oculus Rift, I'd even buy one)
  • neilka 26 May 2016 11:30:13 20,445 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago

Edited by neilka at 11:32:03 26-05-2016
  • LittleSparra 26 May 2016 11:31:37 6,768 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Isn't Scorpio from MK?
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 26 May 2016 11:32:47 47,053 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Damn you neilka.
  • Psiloc 26 May 2016 11:34:01 4,051 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    I reckon the biggest marked for Neo and Scopio both will be people that picked the other console at the start of the gen. If they're priced right, XBOne owners might be tempted to sample all the delights on the Other Side and vice versa.
    Yes. To be honest I'm less down on the whole idea now that they're both doing it - I'll probably just get a Scorpio.

• Psiloc 26 May 2016 11:37:05 4,051 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    [youtube]8Ew78KThLOY?t=37[/youtube]

EDIT: Oops - https://youtu.be/8Ew78KThLOY?t=37

Edited by Psiloc at 11:37:43 26-05-2016
  • Jyzzy-Z 26 May 2016 11:38:57 2,149 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So if you buy one of these this year, they'll want full price next year for an upgraded version?

How does that work? Do you get a discount on the new model? Can you trade in?

If I had one I would be putting the fucker on ebay right about now
  • LittleSparra 26 May 2016 11:39:46 6,768 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Welcome to iterative consoles, where money is no object!*

*oh

Also, I have a One and I am very happy playing on it. /giggle
  • robthehermit 26 May 2016 11:40:50 6,118 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Depends on cost of course, but I could see me getting an upgraded console next year. Move the current Xbone upstairs, new one under the tv downstairs. My only hope is that they either abandon the HDMI in or make it actually work. It used to work fine with my sky box, but hasn't done for a long time and no amount of resets and changing of refresh rates is getting rid of that god awful judder.
  • Armoured_Bear 26 May 2016 11:41:59 20,357 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As I have a PC this will be utterly pointless, interesting that all 3 manufacturers are going in the same direction.
  • BOFH_UK 26 May 2016 11:49:32 175 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still think that in the long run hardware is more-or-less irrelevant. Frankly I'd be happy if they did start moving to a faster upgrade cycle so long as the jumps are meaningful. What's key though is that for this to work they've got to get away from generations being isolated from each other and on to everything being part of a platform.

For me that's what makes this worthwhile, if you can buy into a console now and know that everything you buy will still be playable two or three revisions down the road, ideally with graphical and performance improvements. Obviously that doesn't include stuff like titles that rely on servers still being available etc.

At the same time there'd need to be a rethink on how you sell the things. An official trade in option would be nice but at the least make a bare bones option available. Just the console and maybe a power supply if the old one can't do the job. Stop changing connection standards for peripherals so there's no need to upgrade if you don't want to.
  • hillbilly66 26 May 2016 11:49:45 3,150 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, I guess AMD will be complied to secrecy, but still, two companies with about the same budget looking for tech to do exactly the same thing from the same hardware manufacturer?

I wanted to pick up an xbox one to play Halo and Forza down the line, I can't afford two subs.
  • nickthegun 26 May 2016 11:52:50 71,636 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Will it be bundled with Kinext Turbo?
  • Jyzzy-Z 26 May 2016 11:52:54 2,149 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Can't wait for the Digital Foundry review of Call o' Duty XXVIII: Virtual Warfare across four different console systems.

• Dizzy 26 May 2016 11:53:36 3,417 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If they support Oculus, then I am in (since I already have an Oculus on order :). But they really need a seriously powered console for me to buy anything new. I am already quite disappointed in the power of both consoles, not going to fall again for that.
  • Dizzy 26 May 2016 11:54:46 3,417 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @MH-RobJenx 5, don't forget the Nx.
  • Ror 26 May 2016 12:05:34 16,223 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the only way these things make sense to me is to push VR. Most games aren't going to be massively different than they already are on the current models, because they have to be able to run on those, too. But I can see both pushing these for the VR experience - I know PSVR will work on PS4, but I can see Sony angling Neo as the premium, best-way-to-play for VR.
  • Ror 26 May 2016 12:05:34 16,223 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the only way these things make sense to me is to push VR. Most games aren't going to be massively different than they already are on the current models, because they have to be able to run on those, too. But I can see both pushing these for the VR experience - I know PSVR will work on PS4, but I can see Sony angling Neo as the premium, best-way-to-play for VR.
  • LittleSparra 26 May 2016 12:07:20 6,768 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MH-RobJenx wrote:
    Can't wait for the Digital Foundry review of Call o' Duty XXVIII: Virtual Warfare across four different console systems.

Sadly, DF will only find more purpose. I will feed off the platforms and grow ever more popular.

Meanwhile, I'll still give precisely 0 fucks.
  • Sharz 26 May 2016 12:09:15 1,686 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    All these console revisions do is prevent me from buying in.  I'm always considering an Xbox (and traditionally always buy all the consoles)  but I keep holding off for one reasons or another.

They need to give me reasons to buy, not reasons to wait.  It is one thing to revise the cosmetics it is another to revise actual useful bits. Especially when I have a PC which I can upgrade to my hearts content.

Chances are I wouldn't of bought the PS4 if the Neo was a 'thing'  in 2014.
  • superbob85 26 May 2016 12:21:59 7,830 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sounds interesting but i'll reserve judgment until i see the price point.
  • Derblington 26 May 2016 12:28:05 29,191 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Yep, same. I'd be very unsurprised to find out that internally, MS were moving first and Neo is a response to that, rather than vice versa. I expect Sony just leaked first.
    Both had plans to put the upgrades out - it takes years to do these things. MSFT were expecting the announcements next year but Sony got their shit together and actually got the ball rolling, putting MSFT on the back foot entirely and scrambling to catch up again.

On the plus side, you can expect the Xbox One-Two to be more powerful than the Neo as it's going to have a year delay in launching. On the minus, it'll likely cost more when it does, if for no other reason than with a years head start Sony will be able to lower prices and offer deals.

I can't see this turning the tide for MSFT, it's too little too late, with the most people already invested. Obviously some people will upgrade and pick up the other as a second machine; that'll work for both platforms. MSFT just need to make sure that at the start of the PS5/Xbox Whatever-its-called, they don't split their focus on a wide audience and fumble their messaging. They need a hard focus and to deliver on a promise.

Edited by Derblington at 12:29:20 26-05-2016
  • Page

of 88 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.