Nioh

• Page

of 154 First / Last

Previous
  • jabberwocky 27 Apr 2016 11:51:57 60 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Nioh demo is up for download, dunno if EG have reported it yet as i can't see any new article about it.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 27 Apr 2016 11:56:29 2,659 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I spotted that last night and had a little go, but was quite tired. Seemed okay though and interestingly gives you a choice to prioritise resolution or fps in the options (first I have seen in a console release)
  • SomaticSense 27 Apr 2016 11:57:46 15,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Was really looking forward to it, but I wasn't overly impressed.

I'm hoping it's just because it's a really early build and that the full release is a long way off, because I love the idea of it. I just wish it controlled and played a lot better. It tries to ape Souls and Onimusha by way of Ninja Gaiden, but on this evidence it comes nowhere close to any of them.
  • Tuffty 27 Apr 2016 12:11:48 3,991 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's hard as fuck. Legitimately harder than Dark Souls combat considering that you can get killed in 2-3 hits by a generic enemy. The enemies are so aggressive that taking on a group of enemies is almost like a death sentence. It's only after finally levelling up a little bit that I'm getting a better handle of the combat but I'm still finding it hard. I hear it's quite substantial too, lasts about 3-4 hours with about 2 bosses to fight? Apparently beating the demo also entitles you to be able to download DLC for when the game comes out, but I think the demo only lasts until May 5th so will have to try and beat it then.

I like it overall. I do think the active reload-esque mechanic to recovering stamina is a nice idea as is the God Hand-esque approach to setting your combos. I wish there wasn't as much loot, at some point it just feels like clutter and a chore to have to manage through. Also can't work out weapon durability, in DS it's not an issue as they auto repair at a bonfire but it doesn't do that in this. I understand you have to use items to repair weapons but where you find those items I don't know. Could lead to frustrating sections where you have to replay sections of tough enemies made even tougher by the fact you can't repair a damaged weapon.

Still, it's an alpha demo and they are accepting feedback so I hope these get addressed.

Edited by Tuffty at 12:12:42 27-04-2016
  • Thebigwahoonie 27 Apr 2016 12:41:10 255 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I had a lot more fun with it after upgrading some abilities, notably parry and counter moves that I think you should probably just start with.
  • jabberwocky 27 Apr 2016 12:41:44 60 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Tuffty Did the later Souls game add the auto repair at bonfire thing as i'm currently going through 1 and its defo not auto? I've had to buy repair powder and a repair kit.

Edited by jabberwocky at 12:42:30 27-04-2016
  • SomaticSense 27 Apr 2016 13:09:36 15,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    jabberwocky wrote:
    @Tuffty Did the later Souls game add the auto repair at bonfire thing as i'm currently going through 1 and its defo not auto? I've had to buy repair powder and a repair kit.
    DS2 added the auto-repair at bonfire thing.
  • Tuffty 27 Apr 2016 13:22:18 3,991 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeh DS2 auto repairs, but even in DS1 you can repair equipment at the blacksmith or at a bonfire later at the cost of a few souls. I don't see any option like that in Nioh.
  • Malek86 27 Apr 2016 14:41:38 6,106 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, it's still in alpha.

Anyway, it's Dark Souls + Ninja Gaiden with Geralt as main character. I kinda like it, but there is something off. I understand making you easy to kill, but even generic enemies can down you in a moment and the faster combat doesn't help (staggering seems arbitrary). You aren't quite aa fast as Ryu, so combat seems too fast and yet not fast enough.

I want to see how it evolves, but so far it reminds me of Lords of the Fallen: essentially a clone that works, but seemingly fails to nail the most important elements.

Edited by Malek86 at 14:42:41 27-04-2016
  • SomaticSense 27 Apr 2016 15:14:22 15,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The stamina system is weird.

I'll have half a green bar left, but Geralt still stops mid combo huffing like an asthmatic 80 year old lung cancer sufferer. I don't get it :/
  • grassyknoll 28 Apr 2016 08:38:18 620 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm absolutely blown away by this demo, there's so much customization, so much depth & the combat just feels right. My big complains are

1. Weapon durability is too low.
    2. Drop rates for weapons / armour are far too high
    3. TN seems to offer a tutorial & explain systems at the beginning.
    4. I'd change the item use system, use the left & right dpad to select items & up on the dpad to actual use it.
    5. The bosses are far too tanky.

Bar those things, the game is a combination of Ninja Gaiden, Dark Soul's, Bloodborne, Bushido Blade & Onimusha, what's not to love?!? Very saddened by the lack of interest on this site, I think people are getting killed by the first pair of enemies & giving up.

Edited by grassyknoll at 08:39:55 28-04-2016
  • Rivuzu 28 Apr 2016 08:57:37 16,522 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The game has some depth to it, sure. I don't like that every enemy seems to have hyper armor, whereas your character flinches at every slightest thing. It is very much a copy paste in terms of level design from FromSoft style though. Well with a rope attached to a stone? Smack it, suddenly items appear. Obvious jumpscare enemies. Sudden ambushes using items as bait.

I mean its OK, but, eh. Plus there's only the three weapon types. Pretty disappointing.
  • Tuffty 28 Apr 2016 09:12:16 3,991 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played a bit more last night up to the boss in the ship. I'm making the mistake thinking it's Souls/Bloodborne by trying to dodge into it's attacks but when I try I just get knocked back. It's weird because it feels like I should be slashing the hell out of it when it's finished it's attack but all I can manage is maybe 2-3 hits before having to dash back. Or at least trying to, assuming Japanese Geralt doesn't start gasping for air. Can't tell if it's because my weapon is too weak, if I need to level up more or if the boss is too much of a tank in general.

I do really enjoy the demo for what it's worth, if they could tone down the drop rate and bump up the weapon durability for the final game, then it's a real winner.
  • OllyJ 28 Apr 2016 10:10:39 3,886 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm a massive Ninja Gaiden fan (finished them all on Master Ninja, so you know...just saying), but never for the life of me got on with Dark Souls, Is there enough Gaiden here to make it worthwhile?
  • Rivuzu 28 Apr 2016 10:12:57 16,522 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It only looks like NG. Doesn't play anything like it really.

Game is way more Onimusha than I first expected.
  • Dgzter 28 Apr 2016 10:14:01 1,493 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote: Game is way more Onimusha than I first expected.
    This please me. Will download the demo later :)
  • SomaticSense 28 Apr 2016 11:12:07 15,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    I'm a massive Ninja Gaiden fan (finished them all on Master Ninja, so you know...just saying), but never for the life of me got on with Dark Souls, Is there enough Gaiden here to make it worthwhile?
    It's way more Souls and Onimusha than NG tbh. Not much NG at all really.

Unless you count the jank camera.
  • SomaticSense 28 Apr 2016 11:18:53 15,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    The game has some depth to it, sure. I don't like that every enemy seems to have hyper armor, whereas your character flinches at every slightest thing. It is very much a copy paste in terms of level design from FromSoft style though. Well with a rope attached to a stone? Smack it, suddenly items appear. Obvious jumpscare enemies. Sudden ambushes using items as bait.

I mean its OK, but, eh. Plus there's only the three weapon types. Pretty disappointing.
    Pretty much my thoughts on it. It's just kind of alright, which is disappointing.

I really want to like it as conceptually it's right up my alley, but right now it has a lot of problems to fix before it can come close to living up to it's potential. It has the pieces, but where it stands right now it just isn't much fun to play.

It is an Alpha demo though, so they have a whole ton of time to polish it up.
  • OllyJ 28 Apr 2016 11:25:37 3,886 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ok, well Onimusha was great, so I'll have a bash at it. Hopefully not the end of Ninja Gaiden though, we don't really need many more Dark Souls clone games do we?

Edited by OllyJ at 11:45:29 28-04-2016
  • Rivuzu 28 Apr 2016 11:28:02 16,522 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    we don't really need many more Dark Souls games do we?
    You shut your dirty whore mouth!
  • grassyknoll 28 Apr 2016 11:29:29 620 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @OllyJ It's more Ninja Gaiden than anything, but with RPG trappings.
  • OllyJ 28 Apr 2016 11:44:19 3,886 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rivuzu hahaha, i'm just bitter because you know, when a dev stops making your favourite game (pretty much) to follow a fad....I dunno....I'm just having a fanboy semi cry.
  • OllyJ 28 Apr 2016 11:44:43 3,886 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    grassyknoll wrote:
    @OllyJ It's more Ninja Gaiden than anything, but with RPG trappings.
    Maybe, I just need to give it a go then yeah :)
  • grassyknoll 28 Apr 2016 12:44:17 620 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @OllyJ The stamina bar will take some getting used to, but you'll love it.
  • Deleted user 28 April 2016 12:56:25
    I quite liked it but it's very jarring for me coming straight from souls. I will have to spend some more time on it.
  • Rodderz 28 Apr 2016 16:12:05 2,875 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had a go on Samurai Souls last night. Admittedly I was shit at it because my brain is fully geared towards DS3 at the moment and this game feels so similar, so I was trying to dodge with O rather than X and getting wasted - which happens really quickly in this if you get caught even by 'basic' enemies.

I did eventually get a bit better, got a full set of new equipment and managed to kill one of those player phantoms that had a huge axe weapon that was slicing and dicing rather nicely.

I need to spend more time with it, but DS3 is consuming my gaming time at the moment and this is a timed demo so might be gone before I get the chance. Overall though, I sort of liked it, if it had a few tweaks here and there.
  • OllyJ 29 Apr 2016 14:27:13 3,886 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    After a brief go, i'm not up for it, definitely too Soulsy for me, I couldn't be arsed after about ten minutes of not being able to get past the first couple of guys. I mean, am i supposed to fight them bare hands?

Ninja Gaiden was hard, but the defense you had was always your best weapon, seems like in Nioh you can't block for shit, meh.
  • Rivuzu 29 Apr 2016 14:35:02 16,522 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a weapon... At the start... Before you even move...
  • OllyJ 29 Apr 2016 15:20:00 3,886 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ha really? I just don't think this sort of game is for me.
  • Rivuzu 29 Apr 2016 15:24:11 16,522 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Because you need to use your eyes?

I see, I see. :(
  • Page

of 154 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.