Alien: Covenant Page 26

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• nickthegun 15 May 2017 13:59:07 70,743 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm pretty sure things were crawling out of them as they ran but black swirling fog is kind of hard to keep track of.
  • Gaol 15 May 2017 14:14:57 3,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wish he'd been allowed to make the follow up to Prometheus too. Just chucks it and replaces it with an Alien highlights reel. The engineers were pretty damn cool. I also preferred the Prometheus cast. They may have been dicks but at least they made an impression.
  • vDoll 15 May 2017 14:19:57 2,372 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm assuming everyone else's audience erupted at the I'll do the fingering scene.

My Friday night crowd was full of young lads, so of course the guffawing went on for longer than necessary, but I'm still mulling over whether it was intentional.
  • captbirdseye 15 May 2017 14:23:50 7,976 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The David/Alien hands up scene got the most.

Edited by captbirdseye at 14:24:07 15-05-2017
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 May 2017 14:25:11 3,720 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    vDoll wrote:
    I'm assuming everyone else's audience erupted at the I'll do the fingering scene.

My Friday night crowd was full of young lads, so of course the guffawing went on for longer than necessary, but I'm still mulling over whether it was intentional.
    That whole bit was straight out of Ghost
  • Derblington 15 May 2017 14:26:37 28,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    The engineers were pretty damn cool.
    What film did you watch?
  • Gaol 15 May 2017 15:46:09 3,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Gaol wrote:
    The engineers were pretty damn cool.
    What film did you watch?
    Read the post properly. And the ones before it for context. Please.
  • JYM60 15 May 2017 15:57:26 17,418 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought the Engineers story was cool and interesting too. It was all the alien related stuff in Prometheus which was Gubbins.
  • Graxlar_v2 15 May 2017 16:02:54 6,618 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Rick and Morty have discovered a secret weapon against facehuggers

https://www.facebook.com/adultswim/videos/10155139094961745/

Remember... dont drink drugs
  • erniewhatbert 15 May 2017 16:51:45 2,677 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I watched Prometheus for the first time on Sat night. It surpassed my really low expectations. Three stars. I'll probably wait for the DVD of this now.
  • JoeBlade 15 May 2017 17:02:43 3,978 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    vDoll wrote:
    Bit of a tangent but I'm quite curious: do people in the cinema holler and applaud and such during a film like they do in the US?

Over here in Belgium it's limited to the end of the film, only laughter is socially acceptable during a film. Otherwise people tend to be as silent as possible (annoying idiots aside)
    When I lived in Paris my experience was the same, the only exception being when we went to see Mission Impossible and Jean Reno appeared on screen for the first time. Otherwise mostly silent as well.

I find little cultural nuances like this fascinating :)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 May 2017 17:34:25 3,720 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Only time I've seen anyone applaud a film in the uk has been at Q&A events when the writer, director or star has been in attendance.

Laughing or crying during the film are acceptable. That is all.
  • vDoll 15 May 2017 17:36:22 2,372 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Laughter and shrieking only.

At the end we just shuffle out mumbling to ourselves.
  • Gearskin 15 May 2017 18:33:35 2,919 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I loved this. It was bonkers and weird.

So Im glad that the next film is (apparently) going into production next year.

To the people saying the next film is set before Covenant... I think you are confusing things. There is book coming, set before Covenant. The author hasnt said what its about, mind you.
  • reviewer 15 May 2017 18:42:46 4,386 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The whole David Walter thing was a bit weird and there was way too much exposition, what happened in between seemed like it would be more interesting to watch.

Alien stuff was fine but calling it Prometheus 2 is more accurate.
  • Gearskin 15 May 2017 18:49:30 2,919 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In a way, it seems like aspects of Blade Runner are running through Covenant. The film defo reaches too far in multiple directions but Im all for scifi horrors.

My dad really liked it too. Funnily enough, we saw LIFE on opening weekend, a film that was very much Alien-lite, and he hated it.
  • Derblington 15 May 2017 21:46:14 28,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    I loved this.
    Genuinely, I knew this was coming from when you defended Scott before seeing it.

Gearskin wrote:
    To the people saying the next film is set before Covenant... I think you are confusing things. There is book coming, set before Covenant. The author hasnt said what its about, mind you.
    “It will go ‘Prometheus,’ ‘Awakening,’ ‘Covenant’ …”
    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/alien-awakening-next-alien-movie-ridley-scott-1202011249/

Edited by Derblington at 21:46:44 15-05-2017
  • TolandsRancour 16 May 2017 08:26:04 1,897 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    2 days later I still can't fully absorb how bad this was...

It's partly a shit sequel to Prometheus (a pretty bad movie itself), mostly a sci fi drama about AI's and lastly a laughable attempt to shoe horn a Xenomorph into the mix to give it the vaguest of links to the proper movies.

Ridley Scott has effectively made the Star Wars prequels of the Alien franchise. The pacing is absolutely atrocious the 'action' is all in the trailers (there's that little of it) and literally everything of note that happens is down to someone being an absolute fucking retard!
  • Chug666 16 May 2017 09:11:45 304 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I went last night. Really wanted to like it, thought there were good bits but I totally agree with comments about dumb characters and bad pacing. Overall i thought it was just a bit... dull.

Bonus point for casting Danby McBride and giving him a cowboy hat.

What is really annoying is I know I'll go and see the next one in the hope it all comes together somehow.
  • GarlVinland 16 May 2017 10:09:00 1,635 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chug666 wrote:
    Bonus point for casting Danby McBride and giving him a cowboy hat.
    With the hammering the film is taking, this is the only plus point left.

Kenny Powers as action hero...maybe worth watching after all.
  • damagedinc 16 May 2017 16:27:36 2,542 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just seen this. Will add more later but this is very meh.

Prometheus with all its faults is so much better than this. Completly lost its way. Was on board for first 40 min and as soon as David comes into the film it got crap
  • Gearskin 16 May 2017 16:50:45 2,919 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Gearskin wrote:
    I loved this.
    Genuinely, I knew this was coming from when you defended Scott before seeing
    I dont need to "defend" it.

Opinions are like arseholes.

Although this place is an echochamber. Clearly, it has fans. 75% on RT. On metacritic its on par with Guardians Vol2.

Also, that link you posted makes a pretty big jump from a flippant comment made. Is this politics?

The next film is going to be a sequel to Covenant. Of course it is.

Edited by Gearskin at 16:53:32 16-05-2017

Edited by Gearskin at 16:55:52 16-05-2017
  • captbirdseye 16 May 2017 18:56:55 7,976 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Gearskin The next film is a prequel called Awakening. Scott confirmed this back in March.
  • Gaol 16 May 2017 19:10:20 3,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Scott is making it up as he goes along in fairness.
  • wuntyphyve 16 May 2017 19:19:53 8,729 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He is. He really is.
  • Switch024 16 May 2017 19:34:26 1,774 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just seen it, enjoyed it.

Some silly bits and a few missteps but Fassbender was superb and I was intrigued for the most part.

It's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be after reading the opinions here. Maybe the low expections helped!
  • MrFlay 16 May 2017 19:42:25 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pretty damning review from Kim Newman in Sight and Sound. He regularly champions genre movies but not this.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sight-sound-magazine/reviews-recommendations/alien-covenant-ridley-scott-space-vacuity

Edited by MrFlay at 20:16:22 16-05-2017
  • damagedinc 16 May 2017 19:52:11 2,542 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The most exciting bit was the necromorph. After that it just feels like fox telling Scott what to do.

The shower scene is ridiculous. Alien encounters, crew members dead, let's have sex to soul music in the shower

The weird speeding up of the alien life cycle and THAT flute scene.

We watched prometheus again before this yesterday and me and the wife actually enjoyed it more than we did when we saw it a few years back. It had its faults but went in an intresting direction. This just seemed to lose the plot completly, the xenomorph was pure fan service and didn't need to be there really.

So much potential but it's just a mess

Angers me that through everything they just decide to bypass paradise and nuke it from orbit (almost literally)

Edited by damagedinc at 19:55:07 16-05-2017
  • garsync 17 May 2017 21:11:32 70 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watched this last night, first and probably last time at a 4DX showing. The smoke, shaking, wind, rain, lightning flashes and spray was pretty intense throughout and I think we probably picked a good film to see in that format. Weird to get rained on during the shower scene tho!

Shame half the story seemed to be missing, hate the characters acting dumb and lack of motivation for David plus the tools or subjects to experiment on seemed to be completely missing after he killed them all!
  • ubergine 18 May 2017 06:29:26 7,075 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't hate the film like Prometheus, but I laughed at terrible stupidity / shit sci-fi on a few occasions.

The main one was when they land on an unknown planet and just traipse out, as if there could be no alien pathogens to worry about or otherwise adverse-to-life conditions a simple scan couldn't reveal. The guy wandering off for a cigarette / guy poking an alien spore pod moments were next, and the captain NOT killing David but instead following him into a monster room and peeking in a seething monster pod, Walter hesitating and listening to David again and again instead of killing him... it's all callbacks to the Prometeus "We can't make a plot that doesn't rely on characters doing completely unbelievable stupid shit to get to the ending we want"
  • Page

of 30 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.