Xbox One backwards compatibility announced Page 2

• Page

of 63 First / Last

• TenderChicken 16 Jun 2015 10:34:46 3,411 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hopefully my vast collection of retro Sonic titles are available soon!
  • Britesparc 16 Jun 2015 11:19:31 2,003 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is there a way to download these remotely, eg using the SmartGlass app? I searched for Perfect Dark in the store just now and couldn't find it.

Was hoping to download all my titles to play them when I get home from work! :-D
  • robthehermit 16 Jun 2015 11:21:54 5,974 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Played some Keflings this morning, forgot what a great little game that is. There were a few performance issues, particularly when notifications popped, but nothing I can't live with. Will try Mass Effect later. Does anyone know if the DLC is downloaded along with the game?
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 16 Jun 2015 11:27:04 30,771 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Keflings is in! That's fantastic, I was waiting for it to be released on Wii U to play it again, but it got cancelled in Europe. So now Microsoft fix it by letting me play it on another console I own. Nice :)

I really hope they do Halo Reach and Halo Wars. That'd give us almost all the Halo on one console.

Edit: Just noticed Halo Reach is right up front here :D I'd say shut up and take my money, but they already have it. Also in that image in the background is Halo Wars.

Edited by DFawkes at 11:29:35 16-06-2015
  • Dizzy 16 Jun 2015 11:28:58 3,346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Capcom Dungeons and Dragons please... I didn't get that one because I was already going to X1.
  • robthehermit 16 Jun 2015 11:29:18 5,974 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DFawkes Both Kingdoms and World.
  • Britesparc 16 Jun 2015 11:35:23 2,003 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is totally going to get me downloading the 360 Games With Gold again. I'd stopped bothering, partly because the games stopped exciting me, but largely because I never play on the 360 anymore!

Edit: in fact, MS should make a point that all future GWG are guaranteed to be Backwards Compatible!

Oh wow, just remembered, I've got BioShock Infinite which I bought for a fiver and never played...

Edited by Britesparc at 11:36:03 16-06-2015
  • Humperfunk 16 Jun 2015 11:43:48 6,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As soon as Gears of War: Judgement is out I'm all over that - never got round to finishing it before as was playing co-op but we didn't have the time needed so fuck that, will play it one player! (can't be arsed to get the 360 out the loft)
  • richarddavies 16 Jun 2015 11:45:12 5,790 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    Edit: in fact, MS should make a point that all future GWG are guaranteed to be Backwards Compatible!
    That would be brilliant if they did that/
  • sherpa1984 16 Jun 2015 11:48:40 674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Keflings is in! That's fantastic, I was waiting for it to be released on Wii U to play it again, but it got cancelled in Europe. So now Microsoft fix it by letting me play it on another console I own. Nice :)

I really hope they do Halo Reach and Halo Wars. That'd give us almost all the Halo on one console.

Edit: Just noticed Halo Reach is right up front here :D I'd say shut up and take my money, but they already have it. Also in that image in the background is Halo Wars.
    Yep, I'm gonna buy Reach and Wars as soon as they become compatible. Never played Wars and only played a couple hours of Reach.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 16 Jun 2015 11:50:35 30,771 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wasn't Reach in Games for Gold once? I still have my disc but it'd be great if I didn't have to dig it out again.
  • TPReview 16 Jun 2015 12:08:18 1,162 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Didn't the Halo Wars multiplayer servers get turned off?

Also just looked at that image to see the boxes for games that we can assume are going to be BC, annoyingly they repeat some of them but you can definitely see Hexic, Gears of War 3, Fable (2 I think), Alan Wake and a load of the Rare games that are in that collection anyway.

Edited by TPReview at 12:10:12 16-06-2015
  • fletch7100 16 Jun 2015 12:08:54 8,367 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alien hominid difficulty still wants me to go AAAARRGGGHHH

Mass effect still has that clunky feel, do like the 360 guide that pops up.

You can vote for what you want converted. No surprise COD games make majority of top 10. Like Activison will let that happen for free :)

Some of the starting games MP won't be available at launch. Hope these make use of MS dedicated servers. Imagine MW/BLOPS on MS servers. Bad Company 2 to gauge reception for a 3rd

Also some of the JRPGs

Mainly I just want to play Viva Piņata For some strange reason

Edited by fletch7100 at 12:09:28 16-06-2015
  • Deleted user 16 June 2015 12:13:49
    the draw of backward-compatibility for gamers is consonantly baffling. i have 4 generations of console under my telly right now and play anything but the current about once a year.

the only interesting generations of console to revisit are from decades back. buy a raspberry pi, install retropie, and have fun :)
  • TPReview 16 Jun 2015 12:14:38 1,162 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh man, Bad Company 2. I loved that game so much.

Games I want most for BC:
    All Guitar Hero/Rock Band
    Red Dead Redemption
    Bad Company 2
    COD: World at War
    Halo Wars (with multiplayer back on)

If they did those I would be so happy
  • TPReview 16 Jun 2015 12:16:07 1,162 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @gravearchitecture but when BC is done right it can add value to old games. Like games making use of the XBox One UI for recording clips/streaming, that could be quite a big deal for some people. I wonder if they can make use of the console's hardware at all to make some games more stable?
  • Psychotext 16 Jun 2015 12:17:47 61,200 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gravearchitecture wrote:
    the draw of backward-compatibility for gamers is consonantly baffling. i have 4 generations of console under my telly right now and play anything but the current about once a year.
    In fairness though, you might be more likely to play some of your old games if they were accessible at any point on your most played console.

I don't actually have a 360 or PS3 any more, and I'd love to play some of the stuff I never got around to playing when I pick up the Xbox One / PS4.
  • Vortex808 16 Jun 2015 12:25:46 11,347 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This should hopefully mean my 360 XBL copies of Doom 1 & 2 will be playable again.

Nuts to Doom 4. ;-)

Edited by Vortex808 at 12:26:24 16-06-2015
  • Tricky 16 Jun 2015 13:09:08 4,761 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Keep seeing people requesting Guitar Hero/Rock Band to be made compatible... exactly how are you expecting to connect your 360 instruments to the Xbox One?
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 16 Jun 2015 13:16:35 30,771 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    At least some of them were just USB and Xbox One has a USB slot. Just plug them in. It wouldn't work for all them, for for Guitar Hero at least, the GH2 Guitar is plausible enough.
  • fletch7100 16 Jun 2015 13:19:26 8,367 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Left 4 dead games please
  • BOFH_UK 16 Jun 2015 13:20:21 165 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Britesparc Yep, that would be a massively sensible move from MS and really make GWG a very compelling proposition. 4-ish new games a month for all XB1 owners, the ability to drop in big titles from previous gen and, of course, help build expectation for new entries in franchises by giving away the older titles. Hell they're already doing just that with Fallout 4.

Oh and to those asking why BC may be important let me throw out a what-if question: why did MS call this console the XBox One when it's the third generation? What if they've decided to stick with PC-related components and the same OS / software tools from here on out? XB2 comes along with games that, at least to start with, run on both systems just like a PC title adjusts to different specs. Entire XB1 catalogue remains live on XB2 and you can invest in their ecosystem in the knowledge that you won't have to scrap everything and start over on the next hardware release. 360 BC would extend that even further, potentially all the way back to 2005. Would that not go a long way towards moving from console hardware to a gaming platform...?
  • Tricky 16 Jun 2015 13:23:04 4,761 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DFawkes Nope. Xbox 360 controllers are XInput and Xbox One controllers are a whole different standard.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 16 Jun 2015 13:33:56 30,771 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    @DFawkes Nope.
    Sure, the software side might be XInput, but that's supported by Windows 10, the very system they're bringing closer to Xbox One, so it's still entirely plausible, surely?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they will as I think the publisher would have to okay it, and Activision aren't the sort to say "Hey, here's a good reason not to buy out new Guitar Hero game!", but it'll be technically possible.

Edited by DFawkes at 13:43:26 16-06-2015
  • BOFH_UK 16 Jun 2015 13:36:28 165 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interesting video here, sounds very much like they've virtualised a 360 making a 360 game roll out for XB1 similar to an App-V package. If that's the case then they might just be able to keep up with the 'hundreds more every month' brag on the BC web page. Heck you wouldn't even need a particularly large team to do it.
  • Deleted user 16 June 2015 13:41:09
    Psychotext wrote:
    gravearchitecture wrote:
    In fairness though, you might be more likely to play some of your old games if they were accessible at any point on your most played console.
    why, they're all right there!

the only console that i have played into a new generation was the PS2, which had persona 3, 4, okami and odin's sphere released in the period i had a 360. those are proper system-defining games and i don't think we've seen the same kind of overlap with the 360/XBO.

the streaming thing is interesting, though. that's a big draw for some people.
  • Psychotext 16 Jun 2015 13:56:39 61,200 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Because sometimes you have it loaded up and an old game catches your attention. I almost never load an old console just for the hell of it, it would always be to play something specific rather than see what catches my fancy.
  • TPReview 16 Jun 2015 14:05:23 1,162 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    Keep seeing people requesting Guitar Hero/Rock Band to be made compatible... exactly how are you expecting to connect your 360 instruments to the Xbox One?
    Dongle
  • Ryze 16 Jun 2015 14:41:26 3,534 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Could somebody point me to, or advise me on how the performance is currently?

What's the most demanding game you've seen?

Any clues to as to what's emulated, and what's been recompiled? It'll be a combination, I'm assuming.
  • Ryze 16 Jun 2015 14:42:29 3,534 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TPReview wrote:
    Tricky wrote:
    Dongle
    Clearly, they don't want to do this, then. Why would they?
  • Page

of 63 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.