The Anime Appreciation Thread Page 21

• Page

of 21 First / Last

Next
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Sep 2017 08:45:06 1,665 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet Yeah, Made in Abyss has been very good. Probably not quite show-of-the-season for me (I think that would be Princess Principal), but it has certainly been a very solid adventure series. I've avoided the manga, so I'm not sure how much more source material there is, but I can't really see how they're going to wrap it up in a single cour. Fingers crossed it gets a proper continuation rather than just sitting unfinished forever, as happens to so many other adaptations.

Symphogear's been the other really fun show this season, although I'd forgotten how much it sucks to be relying on arsehole fansubbers rather than a decent streaming service. But it's in its fourth season now and they've got the formula for these things down nicely. Utterly predictable but still highly enjoyable.

Otherwise, quite a few good shows (Gamers, My Hero Academia, Sakura Quest, Aho Girl, Isekai Shokudou, Kakegurui), but none of them really great. Both Re:Creators and Bahamut: Virgin Soul have somewhat flubbed their second halves (though I haven't seen the latest Re:Creators ep yet and have heard it is good).

Hajimete no Gal has been frustrating. There is the core of an interesting show in there, but the pacing and side-cast frustrate it at every turn. The friend-trio might have been bearable in small doses (except possibly paedo-guy who, as you say, is just appalling), but they get around four times more screen-time than they can actually carry.

Centaur no Nayami has been the big train-wreck for me. I was actually enjoying it for a while despite (and sometimes because of) the uncomfortable political undertones, but episode 9 was a total deal-breaker. A different show might, with very skillful writing, have been able to do an actual honest-to-god holocaust pastiche and get away with it. This show couldn't and should never in a million years have been allowed to try.
  • oldschoolsoviet 10 Sep 2017 11:30:29 6,239 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, Princess is getting favourable remarks due to the aesthetic and story, but it still looks a tad moe/cute for moi. I'll add it to the possible list.

Centaur is really weird from a non-watching point of view. I've seen the genital inspecting scene linked, and I've heard about the oppresive undertones regarding the world inhabited, but they've gone that far huh ?

Still, better than the train wreck that Vatican Priest Boyos turned out to be : iirc something like money laundering, drug dealing priests, using a surrogate mother to birth a baby created with DNA from Hitler, while using a Jesus-looky-likey student as a ressurection distraction, all to enable a Fourth Reich....

Sounds like a fun social watch with much alcohol. Off to watch my dancing and gambling now......
  • Ror 22 Sep 2017 16:27:36 16,250 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I finished Re:Zero last night.

Now what do I do with my life?
  • SpaceMonkey77 24 Sep 2017 13:08:29 921 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nothing this season I've seen that's much for me.

Time for a hiatus until more Jojo, Berserk, Castlevania & maybe Vinland Saga if it happens.

There's a good reason that I enjoy mature shows, novels, GNs & audio books more these days, as most of them do story better. I'll always watch out for a special anime show though.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Sep 2017 14:26:36 1,665 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Autumn series look absolutely terrible. A few sequels that might be passable, but otherwise, 2/3rds of the shows look like fujoshi crap.

Edited by Rogueywon at 14:27:06 24-09-2017
  • FrostPan 24 Sep 2017 21:43:50 1,362 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ror

It's pretty good, right?

Episode 15 was pretty crazy. And Betelgeuse is one crazy fucker.
  • Ror 24 Sep 2017 22:23:31 16,250 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @FrostPan Yeah, I enjoyed it quite a lot. It's a bit of a weird one, as the pacing is kind of all over the place, and in the middle it feels like there's a number of competing story threads, but it's always enjoyable.

Would definitely check out a second run.
  • oldschoolsoviet 24 Sep 2017 22:30:33 6,239 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nothing in Fall ? I'm hoping I'll find the time.....

3gatsu, Kekkai Sensen and Kino (reboot?) top the list, Inuyashiki, Shojo Shuumatsu Ryokou and Just Because! fill out the middle, and Netojuu no Sasume and the Magus' Bride round it out.

Couple of others to have a gander at, Dia Horizon possibly for the art and a walking-castle-ship thing teased, and Osake wa Fuufu as the token short. Gintama, Shokugeki and Osomatsu-san are hardly trash-tier, albeit not for me.

The fox inn girls can do one though. Everything else is just a typical anime season, no ?
  • GarlVinland 25 Sep 2017 18:16:57 2,062 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm thinking of starting Berserk. Any tips on what to watch/avoid? I hear mixed things about all adaptations except for the manga, whether it's the original anime, the new movie trilogy or especially the even newer series. Or is it better just to skip the lot and read it?
  • thelzdking 25 Sep 2017 18:44:39 6,233 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Read it. The '90s anime has low production values but it's excellent. I haven't seen the new ones.
  • Malek86 25 Sep 2017 18:49:24 6,084 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Only things I'm gonna watch in the fall are Kekkai Sensen 2 and perhaps Idomaster Side M (mostly to see how they handle the whole thing, but I'm not expecting much). And of course the usual long runners like Dragon Ball Super and whatnot.

I'm much more interested in Akagi S2, which is not anime but close enough. The first season was good enough, but suffered from being adapted from the middle chapters of the manga. The new season is gonna cover the first arc instead, so it should be much more coherent.
  • oldschoolsoviet 25 Sep 2017 19:28:10 6,239 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GarlVinland
    thelzdking wrote:
    Read it. The '90s anime has low production values but it's excellent. I haven't seen the new ones.
    I'd watch the films, then pick up the manga from there. Covers the same as the 90's anime with improving production per film. If only for the conclusion if nothing else.....

Avoid the 2016/17 new stuff. It picks up after the films, but is such a rollercoaster of awfulness to half-decent it's a travesty to the Berserk tag. I've suffered through it, and I couldn't even recommend it.

Edited by oldschoolsoviet at 19:28:38 25-09-2017
  • GarlVinland 25 Sep 2017 20:01:42 2,062 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for the recommendations, or not as the case may be. I'll give the movies a try but the manga may be my best bet.

I hear horrible, horrible things about the 3rd movie in particular, not sure I want to see that in motion...
  • FrostPan 2 Oct 2017 14:43:34 1,362 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    New Game Season 2 finished last week. As good as the first season methinks.

Binged watched the whole series of The Devil is a Part-Timer (2013) the other day. I enjoyed it. Gutted it didn't get a second season though.

Might start watching My Hero Academia now, since season 2 is done.
  • FrostPan 2 Oct 2017 14:50:35 1,362 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can imagine Hajimete no Gal is an awful show in Japanese. But the English dub is surprisingly well done. They sort of added their own twist to the show, like dropping western references and other stuff. It's like the cast already know the show is awful, so they went nuts with it. Makes the show tolerable at least.

Edited by FrostPan at 14:51:42 02-10-2017
  • oldschoolsoviet 2 Oct 2017 19:49:52 6,239 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Funny, in other internet areas, the dub was universally hated, taking a shit show with a little hint of charm and making it just shit. I've all but mind wiped it already.

In other news, this has become one of my favourite sequences, if only for the OST:

https://youtu.be/m3GtE-dIjnQ

Stunning work on MiA all round.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Oct 2017 23:08:03 1,665 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Made in Abyss went some really dark places. Very good show; really do hope it gets a second season. Nice to see a relatively "pure" adventure series, albeit one with some dark edges, rather than Yet Another Shonen Template Puece.
  • SpaceMonkey77 6 Oct 2017 14:41:52 921 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not seen much this season of interest.

I've jumped back to checking out Kaiji today, a good seinen gambler series with cool drama & proof you make almost anything intelligent & yet fun & entertaining.

You can keep your lame weabo character pushing shows (I mean lesser art like K-On, but each to own, not for me), that try to put selling characters & merch before a good solid story & delivery, I certain don't need them & do best to filter them out. Filter wisely as you don't need to like all that's out there.

I'll check out Kaiji, until Jojo, Berserk & some good action, drama & anime with some substance, maturity & intelligence comes back. I got Rage of Bahamut to finish some Gundam too. May watch Kid on the Slope again for a musical fix, & maybe some Space Brothers too.

If you want better musical based anime Nodame Cantabile & Kids on the Slope do such with more intelligence, grace, style & charm.

Edited by SpaceMonkey77 at 14:59:24 06-10-2017
  • Rivuzu 6 Oct 2017 16:18:58 16,510 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can keep your lame weabo character pushing shows
    Jojo
    :D
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Oct 2017 23:07:40 1,665 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Caught up on the end of the summer shows now. Not really started the new autumn ones. A few thoughts on the summer season.

Overall, a large number of good shows, but very few great ones. Plenty of perfectly good content, but spread thinly across a lot of shows. At any rate, I've known worse seasons.

Show of the season: Made in Abyss. This was a pleasant surprise, as I'd never heard of it at the start of the season. 50% classic adventure show and 50% gruesome body horror, it was remarkably effective. Desperately needs a second season.

Runner-up: Symphogear AXZ. It's Symphogear, so you know what you're getting. 24 minutes of pure adrenelin and absolutely no meaningful plot, character development or, well, anything else really. In fairness, it's a bit more ambitious than the first three seasons, in that it has a clear multi-season plot running, linking across all of the seasons to date and into the (already-announced) season 5.

Biggest disappointment: Re:Creators (second cour). This show had a really great start, with striking characters, decent visuals and a novel concept. Unfortunately, all of that got a bit lost in the second half, as everything descended into either overly-talky exposition or endless action sequences. It never managed to reach the emotional heights it hit at the end of its first cour.

Worst show: A Centaur's Life. Admittedly, this is "worst that I watched", as I drop the truly bad series pretty quickly. In many places, this was a good and entertaining show. Cute Monster Girls Doing Cute Things with subtext of totalitarianism (made a bit creepier by knowing this is a Chinese co-production so you might be supposed to approve of the totalitarianism). However, the total, catastrophic misjudgement of episode 10 completely soured me on the show and will forever taint my memories of it.
  • The_Goon 11 Oct 2017 10:36:28 554 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Does Crunchyroll have offline viewing yet? I've read stories about it coming this year but nothing confirming it's actually been implemented or when it will be implemented. It's really the one thing putting me off subscribing as I will mainly watch it on my commute, where I don't have a particularly steady net connection.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.