The Anime Appreciation Thread Page 10

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• Graxlar_v2 6 Feb 2017 07:35:39 5,350 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @GoatApocalypse I have been binge watching it and the answer is yes! Yes it is.
  • GoatApocalypse 6 Feb 2017 08:33:07 2,613 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Graxlar_v2 excellent. Cheers.
  • convz 6 Feb 2017 21:41:25 1,032 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @KRadiation Ah! Thank you, I'm glad it's not just me :) It always rates so highly (for example it's 3rd on IMDB) but so far I'm really struggling to see the appeal.

And agreed about Death Note, it's amazing!
  • GoatApocalypse 11 Feb 2017 21:24:45 2,613 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AoT is fucking brilliant, isn't it?
  • Ror 16 Mar 2017 14:50:38 14,408 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone watched Mob Psycho 100? Saw an ad for it last night on Crunchyroll and thought it looked a bit mad.
  • FanBoysSuck 16 Mar 2017 15:31:47 1,626 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Ror Yup. It's awesome. It's batshit insane but really funny. Well worth a watch. It's only 12 episodes too so you can get through it pretty quickly.
  • Ror 16 Mar 2017 15:42:31 14,408 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @FanBoysSuck Cheers! I did think it looked a bit mental :) Will stick it on my queue.
  • Graxlar_v2 16 Mar 2017 15:54:18 5,350 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    what is everyone watching right now?

I just finished the first season of tokyo ghoul on netflix but haven't really got anything to turn too next.
  • Ror 16 Mar 2017 17:00:45 14,408 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have Tokyo Ghoul on blu ray - mate got it for me for Christmas - but I've yet to watch it. I still hadn't gotten around to watching Attack on Titan, so I started that on Crunchyroll last night. Only two eps in so far.

I used to sub to Crunchyroll, but I let it expire because I wasn't really using it. Holy shit the ads. Will probably re-sub soon.
  • Rivuzu 16 Mar 2017 17:26:05 15,567 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't resub.

Google kissanime. Turn on adblockers. Enjoy.
  • Ror 16 Mar 2017 17:28:09 14,408 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is it back up, then?
  • Ror 18 Mar 2017 02:39:10 14,408 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Holy shit. AoT episode 5 is some Gurren Lagann episode 8-tier shit.
  • KRadiation 18 Mar 2017 09:11:28 1,112 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Season 2 for AOT is supposed to start April 1st so you've timed that nicely
  • oldschoolsoviet 18 Mar 2017 19:37:24 6,164 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yep, year of sequels ahead. AoT, One Punch Man, Kekkai Sensen, Gundam Thunderbolt..... Even rumblings of Kino no Tabi/Kino's Journey getting a new cour of some sort.

Oh, and Code Geass. That'll suit some folk.

This season hasn't been as bad as first feared either. Youjo Senki has certainly been the star, but Shouwa Genroku Rakugo.... has kept it close, an absolute masterclass in storytelling in all forms. KonoSuba has cemented itself as a good 'un, with Kobiyashi's Dragon Maid surprising sitcom style eliminating any fears over the "japakooky" styling. KDM certainly didn't seem appealing from the synopsis outset......

But yeah, cracking year in store.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Mar 2017 20:08:18 585 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet I think this season's been a bit middling. Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans is decent in places, but suffered from some odd pacing decisions and an increase in the trademark leaden Gundam writing towards the end of the season (though nothing like as bad as Unicorn). Youjo Senki is indeed fun. Not yet viewable legally outside Japan until it finishes its first season's run (thanks to Netflix's daft policies), but Little Witch Academia is pretty damned great (or so I would say had I seen the fansubs *cough*).

I've not really been blown away other than that, though. Some decent romance/comedy shows (most of which you named), but it's been quite thin at the darker end of the spectrum.

In the winter season two years ago, we had Shirobako, Your Lie In April, Cross Ange, Parasyte, Junketsu no Maria and Yoru no Yatterman all airing in the same season, each of which was pretty damned great. Quality levels seem to have declined a good bit since then, even as the number of shows per season continues to grow.
  • oldschoolsoviet 18 Mar 2017 20:32:06 6,164 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, for every Rakugo there's a Fuuka. Or two, but that's the way it goes. Yep, IBO has become a tad anti-climatic and disappointing as it's progressed. LWA survived four episodes, but it's far too cliched and Saturday-morning-cartoon in terms of story, so dropped it was.

Yatterman ? I don't even.....

Just finished March Comes In Like A Lion there, and even it's returning for the Fall season. Oh, lordy !
  • FrostPan 18 Mar 2017 21:51:02 1,183 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Oh, and Code Geass. That'll suit some folk.
    Haha. Love me Code Geass, but I doubt the next season will be aired this year.

Pretty much the first time I have been a seasonal anime watcher recently, but only watched a few. Season 2 of Konosuba was really disappointing (getting really tired on the characters' shticks - especially Darkness, and this season just didn't go anywhere), and I loved the first season.

Have somewhat been enjoying Gabriel Dropout and Monster Girls. Cannot stand Masamune-kun No Revenge but still watching it as I've nearly seen all the episodes so far *urgh*. Dragon Maid is my favourite anime this season so far.

Youjo Senki does look good though, I'll probably watch it when all episodes are done for this season.
  • Ror 20 Mar 2017 23:07:39 14,408 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    KRadiation wrote:
    Season 2 for AOT is supposed to start April 1st so you've timed that nicely
    I'd like to say I timed it, but I just thought, "I should probably get around to watching this at some point, eh?" It really is very good though! Up to ep 10 now I think.

I've been looking at Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, interesting to see the positive nods in here. I'll stick it on the queue :)

Also, I re-subbed to CR today. Couldn't take those ads anymore. There's one break right at the start, one in the middle, and one at the end, right before the end credits and preview. It's three ads in a row, and it is just the GitS movie trailer every time. Nine times in the course of a 23-minute show! It was starting to send me absolutely fucking bonkers.
  • FrostPan 21 Mar 2017 00:59:36 1,183 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Ror

I absolutely love Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. A really nice slice-of-life comedy that never fails to cheer me up. The show's opening song is delightful, and the little dragon character (Kanna) is just adorable.

Only slight niggle for me there is a bit of gratuitous fan service towards the later episodes (a certain eye candy of a character is introduced later on), but it doesn't hamper my overall enjoyment of the show. A bit amusing at times, but sometimes unnecessary for a light-hearted show. But I guess fan service is just a current trend in anime these days.

The season for the show is ending next week, like most of the Winter 2017 anime, and I'm definitely going to miss it. Soo good.

I've been a CR sub for the past few months and I have been satisfied with the service so far. I cannot imagine using the free service though. The idea of going through more than 2 interval ads in a 20 minute show already put me off. That would also drive me insane, haha. It's either a sub of CR or no use of the free service for me.

Speaking of Attack on Titan, I really loved the first season. I think I watched it during 2015. And blimey, I dunno how the people who watched it in 2013 feels on waiting this long for the second season. Even watching it in 2015 feels that was ages ago. But not long to go!

Edited by FrostPan at 01:09:52 21-03-2017
  • Matt36 21 Mar 2017 01:17:54 2,015 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is Dragonball Super dubbed yet?
  • TheMayorOfJugs 21 Mar 2017 02:33:15 6,440 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Matt36 11 episodes I think. They're still in the movie arcs, so you're better off waiting til u6 is dubbed.
  • Malek86 21 Mar 2017 06:49:36 5,485 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm only watching DB Super. Up to episode 82 now. Compared to the insultingly bad first couple arcs and filler eps, this new development is interesting enough.

Even the quality of the animation is actually improved. There might be hope for this yet.

Edited by Malek86 at 06:50:23 21-03-2017
  • Ror 21 Mar 2017 17:05:38 14,408 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @FrostPan Good to know, ta :) It did look like my kind of thing from the clips I saw. It should make a decent palate cleanser after AoT as well! Hearing there's a touch of fan service in there raises a bit of a groan, but as long as it's not too bad/gratuitous I won't be too fussed.

Yeah, I was subbed to CR for over a year a while back - probably over a year ago now, actually - and thought it was a really good service. With the volume of stuff available to watch for a fiver a month, it's definitely worth it. I just ended up cancelling it because I was still paying for it but not watching anything; despite having been watching anime for the better part of 25 years, I get into a bit of a rut every now and then and just can't be arsed to watch anything. I'll probably end up just subbing for a month here and there when I want to watch something, but I'm back in the mood again now...
  • Graxlar_v2 21 Mar 2017 17:19:45 5,350 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @Malek86 where abouts have you found the episodes?
  • FanBoysSuck 22 Mar 2017 09:48:19 1,626 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I recently finished watching Parasyte. I found it to be one of the gripping shows I've seen in recent memory and fixed my anime burnout after sticking with Twin Star Exorcist for 40 odd episodes. I have no idea why I bothered powering through it.

I'm actually watching a drama called Good Morning Call on Crunchyroll at the moment after it was recommended for listening practice by my Japanese language group. It's the most saccharine sweet kawaii thing ever but I've strangely been drawn in. That and it's a good feeling to actually be able to follow some of the dialogue without looking at the subs!

I think I'll start on Dragon Maid next. I saw a clip where they parodied Dark Souls. So naturally, it must be amazing.
  • Graxlar_v2 22 Mar 2017 09:51:49 5,350 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I am at that point with twin star... it seemed ok to begin with (other than underage shit) but the last 10 episodes have dropped in quality quickly with villains they have been building up for an entire arc being ex machina'd by another long term antagonist just to be ex machina'd by a random... all in the space of 2/3 episodes.
  • rice_sandwich 22 Mar 2017 10:21:36 1,419 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Any recommendations for slice of life stuff? I saw Kids on the Slope a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. I like animation but really dislike a lot of the sexy/fan service type stuff that appears to be widespread.
  • FrostPan 22 Mar 2017 11:10:09 1,183 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    I recently finished watching Parasyte. I found it to be one of the gripping shows I've seen in recent memory and fixed my anime burnout after sticking with Twin Star Exorcist for 40 odd episodes. I have no idea why I bothered powering through it.
    Yeah, Parasyte is awesome. I wished it was longer though. But I think the anime adaption did cover the majority of the manga, so I can't complain too much.

And yeah, that was indeed a Dark Souls reference regarding Dragon Maid.

rice_sandwich wrote:
    Any recommendations for slice of life stuff? I saw Kids on the Slope a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. I like animation but really dislike a lot of the sexy/fan service type stuff that appears to be widespread.
    Poco's Udon World My favourite anime from last year.
    It hit me in the feels at times! And literally no fan service.

Edited by FrostPan at 11:10:43 22-03-2017
  • FanBoysSuck 22 Mar 2017 11:42:25 1,626 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Graxlar_v2 wrote:
    I am at that point with twin star... it seemed ok to begin with (other than underage shit) but the last 10 episodes have dropped in quality quickly with villains they have been building up for an entire arc being ex machina'd by another long term antagonist just to be ex machina'd by a random... all in the space of 2/3 episodes.
    Pretty much my thoughts. Strong start followed by going downhill. It got better with the time skip then nosedived. It's got to be getting to the end now though, at least judging by the last episode I bothered with.

It's a real shame, the show had a lot of potential.
  • FanBoysSuck 22 Mar 2017 11:45:27 1,626 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Give New Game! a go. It's about a girl who joins a game dev studio straight out of uni. Not a lot really happens but I really enjoyed it. It also made me laugh about how well they nailed the whole working in software thing.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.