Recently Completed Games Page 514

• Page

of 517 First / Last

• ModoX 2 Aug 2017 09:42:29 2,675 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I completely understand, coherent behaviour and motivations don't only exist in a 'realistic' setting. Normally I'd be in the same boat as you, I'm not very forgiving with these things, there's absolutely no reason I'm aware of why it didn't happen here, just dumb luck!
  • SomaticSense 2 Aug 2017 11:38:07 15,019 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was able to mostly overlook UD's problems with character motivations due to it's setting. It's absolutely fair criticism though.

However it was what utterly killed Heavy Rain as an experience for me. In fact the writing overall was terrible given it's laser focus on narrative. UD had it's problems, but it's general standard of writing was at least consistent with it's genre, whereas HR was like a 12 year old writing a Fincher thriller.

"Man, I feel like I want to die right now. My kid is missing and I'm being blackmailed to do these horrible things."

"Aw, that sucks. LET'S FUCK!"

Edited by SomaticSense at 11:41:35 02-08-2017
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 2 Aug 2017 11:45:20 31,205 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I never properly played Heavy Rain thanks to whoever it was spoiling it on here, but I still have a soft spot for it thanks to that SHAAAAAAUUUUUUNN! SHAAAAAAUUUUUUNNNN! SHAAAAAAUUUUNNNNNN! glitch.
  • JiveHound 2 Aug 2017 12:13:04 8,143 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don't even get me started on Heavy Rain.
  • ModoX 2 Aug 2017 12:54:34 2,675 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lol, I only got a PS4 at Christmas and picked up Heavy Rain and Beyond a little while ago. All I've done so far is play the introductory house portion of HR, my missus and I love playing through walking simulators together so we tried this and the controls really put her off, plus the performance is an absolute shitshow, it judders all over the place. Add to that the dialogue making him come across like he has a mental deficiency and I'm not sure if we'll go back to it.
  • SomaticSense 2 Aug 2017 14:49:29 15,019 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yup, that's pretty much Heavy Rain.

Add relentless depression, truly idiotic characters, and a plot that has multiple holes the size of China.
  • spleendonkey 2 Aug 2017 15:13:47 251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heavy Rain is the most rancid piece of shit I've ever gone near - and I hate a LOT of video games (significantly more than I like), so that is saying something.

I'd put it in the top 10 worst games I've played. A fair portion of those are games that put an emphasis on their narrative/story (...or anything by Ubisoft). I don't know why bad stories offend me so much - even if the gameplay is passable. I think it's because a bad story really draws your attention to how "pointless" games can be by destroying the illusion. It lays bare all the nuts and bolts of design in a horrific way.
  • Garfy 2 Aug 2017 15:16:05 1,241 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I liked Heavy Rain *ducks*
  • JamboWayOh 2 Aug 2017 15:35:34 967 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To be fair I bought it when I tried out the scene where you had to make a gelatinous pile of eggs. That was next gen back in the day.
  • 2old4disshit 2 Aug 2017 16:05:37 405 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mario 3D Land- I now much prefer this to regular super mario land. Playing on a 2DS hampered me a bit at times, for that reason would love to play it on a 3DS and would just be curious to see it in proper 3D. Levels are just the right length, took me about an hour per world. Havent played through the Special worlds yet which seem to up the fun factor. Pretty easy and leisurely play through, with a few exceptions.
  • MH-RobJenx 2 Aug 2017 16:08:54 1,871 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    spleendonkey wrote:
    Heavy Rain is the most rancid piece of shit I've ever gone near - and I hate a LOT of video games (significantly more than I like), so that is saying something.

I'd put it in the top 10 worst games I've played. A fair portion of those are games that put an emphasis on their narrative/story (...or anything by Ubisoft). I don't know why bad stories offend me so much - even if the gameplay is passable. I think it's because a bad story really draws your attention to how "pointless" games can be by destroying the illusion. It lays bare all the nuts and bolts of design in a horrific way.
    Aye, I can't stand any 'cinematic' cutscenes. Especially in games like COD.

I saw the trailer for COD WW2 last night before Dunkirk in the cinema and thought it looked absolutely terrible. The facial animation made the dudebros look like Morph the plasticine man.
  • heavy_salad 2 Aug 2017 16:51:14 1,071 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Garfy wrote:
    Me too. Loved it. Completed it in 2 sittings on release day.
  • JiveHound 2 Aug 2017 16:54:39 8,143 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    /Puts both on 'the list'

Edited by JiveHound at 16:54:50 02-08-2017
  • Singularity 2 Aug 2017 16:57:30 2,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think I need to go on that list too.
  • Switch024 2 Aug 2017 16:58:55 1,827 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    And me. o/
  • JiveHound 2 Aug 2017 17:35:03 8,143 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Nazi's never had it this easy.
  • quadfather 3 Aug 2017 14:15:35 27,678 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blimey, I've actually completed a game. Rise of the Tomb Raider, finally. Quite enjoyed it, though the inevitable bits towards the end where it's all chaos and fighting aren't the best, but still a good game.
  • welshben1982 3 Aug 2017 14:19:48 1,224 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Garfy wrote:
    Me too, I completed it quite quickly but went back to it at least two more times to get the Platinum trophy.

Edited by welshben1982 at 14:20:17 03-08-2017
  • UncleLou Moderator 3 Aug 2017 14:20:31 38,480 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RE: the Heavy Rain discussion, I think if you don't at least have some respect how it works at all, seeing how it *is* rather flexible when it comes to the story, you are a little naive, ignorant, or unfair.

It might be a failed experiment, but comparing it to other games with (linear) stories misses the point, in my opinion - we desperately need games like Heavy Rain that try to do things differently, things so difficult that barely anyone dares to tackle them usually.

Edited by UncleLou at 14:21:23 03-08-2017
  • Switch024 3 Aug 2017 14:22:13 1,827 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather I liked Rise of the Tomb Raider, think it could have done with a bit more focus though, felt like they tried to throw everything at it and not all of it works.

Best part of the game for me is the tombs, loved all of those parts, really would like them to make those a more central part of the game next time round.
  • UncleLou Moderator 3 Aug 2017 14:23:58 38,480 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, more tombs, and hire someone who can write. Now *there's* a game with a terrible story, and no excuse for it. :)
  • Switch024 3 Aug 2017 14:32:26 1,827 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I really dislike how there's always some random militia group thrown in just so you have some bad guys to shoot.
  • UncleLou Moderator 3 Aug 2017 14:58:45 38,480 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I was also surprised to find the natives of some remote, ancient village to talk and dress like urban hipsters.

Compare this to the Nepal section in Uncharted 2. There's such a massive gulf in quality between the two.

Edited by UncleLou at 14:59:59 03-08-2017
  • quadfather 3 Aug 2017 16:20:12 27,678 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agreed, it's slightly frustrating in that when it starts off, and there's a very mysterious ship wedged into ice in a cave and I thought that was going to set the scene for a decent mystery.

But no, it's guns, more guns, some guns, ridiculous story, guns, and a couple of caves and tombs. Shame.

Edited by quadfather at 16:20:29 03-08-2017
  • coomber 3 Aug 2017 17:21:19 398 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bully

I've seen so many people rave about this game on these boards that I thought I'd dust off the 360 and give it a blast.

I think you probably had to be there back in the day to fully enjoy it but it still holds up fairly well.

6/10
  • Fourfoldroot 3 Aug 2017 18:27:53 2,337 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just finished Trails of cold steel after getting it cheap with PS+. Fantastic game. Finished in a very little over 100hrs (I actually found myself staying up to the early hours despite work the next day, something I haven't done in years).

The Persona influence is obvious, but I actually found this better than P5, better characters and story and a far more engaging battle system.

I just have to decide whether to jump straight back in to see everything and get the Platinum (something I like to do with my favourite games) or move on the Sequel (also picked up cheap on PS+). With the third in the trilogy releasing on PS4 soon I'd definitely recommend anyone with a PS3 or VITA lying around give this a chance.

Simply brilliant - 9 / 10 for a somewhat slow story that isn't really complete if you don't get the sequels.
  • SomaticSense 3 Aug 2017 19:47:13 15,019 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Yeah, more tombs, and hire someone who can write. Now *there's* a game with a terrible story, and no excuse for it. :)
    Personally speaking, I'd rather they get rid of everything but the tombs tbh. The rest of the game was ok, but the high points were definitely where it felt like the old games.

I always felt the 'not enough tombs' criticism levelled at the first reboot kind of missed the point.
  • SomaticSense 3 Aug 2017 19:55:48 15,019 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    RE: the Heavy Rain discussion, I think if you don't at least have some respect how it works at all, seeing how it *is* rather flexible when it comes to the story, you are a little naive, ignorant, or unfair.

It might be a failed experiment, but comparing it to other games with (linear) stories misses the point, in my opinion - we desperately need games like Heavy Rain that try to do things differently, things so difficult that barely anyone dares to tackle them usually.
    Until Dawn proves that the core idea is a great one and can be a rousing success without shitty writing. It's every bit as non-linear as HR.
  • StrikeForce 4 Aug 2017 13:05:20 175 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Superhot (PS4)
    Was gutted when it was XB1 exclusive as the idea of it sounded really intriguing. Now it's finally on PS it has more than lived up to my expectations.

The central mechanic is so compelling that I've played nothing else in the last couple of weeks, flying through the campaign and then on to the endless modes.

It wasn't until I got on to the unlockable challenge modes, however, that I really began to appreciate just how brilliant the gameplay premise is.

The slight variations to the gameplay in each challenge show how flexible the mechanic is, and the escalation of difficulty is pitched just right so that, by the end, even though you've essentially done the same levels 20 times it still makes you think strategically and it still feels exciting and fresh.

Screw all the sinister computer narrative and presentation stuff though. It didn't need it.

Favourite game of the year so far.

9/10
  • docrob 4 Aug 2017 13:09:14 739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    Personally speaking, I'd rather they get rid of everything but the tombs tbh. The rest of the game was ok, but the high points were definitely where it felt like the old games.

I always felt the 'not enough tombs' criticism levelled at the first reboot kind of missed the point.
    For me, they have removed everything that made the original series great. At heart they were puzzle games. Remember the 'Cistern' level in the original TR? Hardly any enemies and one of the most memorable I've ever played. TR2 was my favourite - there were enough human enemies to allow for satisfying combat, but not endless streams of them.

TR tried to ape Uncharted, which was successful in terms of sales, but cost the franchise its soul.
  • Page

of 517 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.