Recently Completed Games Page 408

• Page

of 417 First / Last

• LockeTribal 11 Aug 2014 14:00:28 4,523 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Steambot Chronicles - PS2

I'd been playing through this when down home at the weekends and finally finished it off yesterday. Very, very good game and very much a hidden gem of the PS2's latter years. It's a Japanese action RPG/life-sim that doesn't look great but is a lot of fun. You definitely get the sense that you're inhabiting a distinct world and there's really quite a lot to do.

The only black marks against I'd have are that it's not really that challenging through the story mode (although some Arena battles can be difficult, they are optional) and the graphics, though charming, are shonky.

Overall I'd give it 8/10.
  • Subquest 11 Aug 2014 14:45:50 312 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dishonored - PC
    Bought a few months after release in a Steam sale. Sat untouched in library until recently. Played through the main game, thoroughly enjoyed it. Since been through the two DLC episodes. Again - great. It's basically a Thief game in all but name right? With some cool powers thrown in for good measure. What's not to love.

9.5/10
  • CitizenGeek 11 Aug 2014 20:56:01 3,465 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tale of Graces f
    Mediocrity writ large. Everything about this game screams cheap. It's obvious Namco has cut corners absolutely everywhere. The dialogue is mostly awful, incredibly shallow characterisation, entirely generic and irritating JRPG storyline, weak design, graphics that recall early PS2 games, barely noticeable soundtrack. In general, it seems like the developers put the bare minimum of effort into this game. The only saving graces are the charm of the opening chapters, before the game starts to take itself seriously, the battle system, which is deep and complicated almost to a fault, and some decent, though very basic, questing. The post-game Lineages and Legacies content, which is apparently about 15 hours long, is a nice addition, even though I'm not sure I want to play through it. I paid 13 or something for this on sale on the PSN, and it's probably just about worth that. 6/10

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    I'm a huge MGS fan and I was surprised at just how well Platinum integrated features from the series into a hack and slash game. It's short, but it honestly didn't feel like it. The only problems were an occasionally wonky camera, some boring characterisation, a few too many dull cutscenes, and one particularly ridiculous boss fight. (Seriously, I'm getting to the point where I think videogames would be better off without boss fights. At best, they are merely tedious slogs, but at worst they are frustrating to the point of almost breaking a game.) Any drawbacks really pale in comparison to everything else in MGR, though. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. 8/10

Edited by CitizenGeek at 21:16:11 11-08-2014
  • MatMan562 11 Aug 2014 21:18:27 2,510 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CitizenGeek wrote:
    I'm a huge MGS fan... (Seriously, I'm getting to the point where I think videogames would be better off without boss fights. At best, they are merely tedious slogs, but at worst they are frustrating to the point of almost breaking a game.)
    How can you be a huge MGS fan and think video games would be better off without bosses? That doesn't make any sense to me :p

A lot of developers are pretty bad at designing bosses though. I think the best bosses are usually in more puzzle oriented games where a boss is basically a slightly more complex puzzle that twats you in the face every now and then.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• CitizenGeek 11 Aug 2014 21:55:15 3,465 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    How can you be a huge MGS fan and think video games would be better off without bosses? That doesn't make any sense to me :p
    I was just thinking it was a bit weird to complain about boss battles in a comment about a Metal Gear game! You're right, the best boss battles are more like complex puzzles, which I think the MGS games do very well. That said, I think MGS bosses, overall, are a bit overrated. The bosses in MGS1 and MGS3 are fantastic, but it's a different story with MGS2 and MGS4, where the boss fights are nothing to write home about, and the bosses in Peace Walker were pretty frustrating. I think the MGS games are a very rare exception that kind of prove the rule that most boss battles are pretty terrible, though.

I'd distinguish between RPGs and other games here. Boss battles in RPGs, where the boss is basically a super-powered regular enemy with some additional abilities, can be satisfying and good fun and you can always just grind if they are too difficult. Action games and the like are where boss fights seem to be used as tedious lazy showpieces (at best!) and cheap difficulty spikes at worst.

Edited by CitizenGeek at 22:04:57 11-08-2014
  • drhickman1983 11 Aug 2014 22:30:18 391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - PC

Well, it wasn't bad. It is a fairly average cover based shooter. As abilities are unlocked it gets more interesting, and once everything is unlocked it can be genuinely fun at times, but the early stages drag a bit. Gameplay was enjoyable, if slightly frustrating at times - your agents seem to be quite dumb, you really need to micro manage them. Or at least I did.

Seeing boss fights mentioned the posts above mine, The Bureau had some boss fights which ranged from tedious to annoying. But nothing actually difficult.

Conversely, the 1960's aesthetic is quite nice in the early stages, but the latter stages consist of fairly generic alien architecture. Quite nicely realised, some nice graphical effects with reflections and lighting, but nothing that original.

The story was nonsense and entirely forgettable, with a late twist that perhaps isn't amazing, but in the context of the rest of the game stands out. It turns out you are not Carter, you, the player, are actually some floaty tentacle ghost alien that can take people over (okay, it's an "Ethereal"). This actually felt like some post-modern statement about the way characters in games are controlled, and actually felt slightly out of place in the context of the B-movie nonsense. Oh, and Carter turns out to be an even bigger dick than you realised.

But after this fairly surprising twist, the plot soon reverts back to being fairly dull. I had a hope they might go somewhere interesting with it, but ...not really. Probably for the best, I was already feeling tired of the game after 12 hours.

So pretty much an average game, enjoyable at times. 6 or 7 out of 10.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 22:30:44 11-08-2014
  • MatMan562 12 Aug 2014 00:44:12 2,510 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @CitizenGeek Yup, agree with all of that really (though I've never played Peace Walker properly). There have been quite a few games I've almost given up on right at the end because the developers thought it would be a good idea to have a ridiculously hard final battle. In my opinion, final bosses should be one of the easier parts of a game, it also frustrates me to play hours and hours of a game without much problem and then getting stuck on the final section for way too long because they've given the baddie twice as many hit points as necessary. It leaves a bad final impression.

• drip 12 Aug 2014 01:35:27 4,290 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wanted to complete Battlefield 4, having it for this free week thing. After three hours, I seem to be more than halfway through, so it'd be just another 2-3 hours. But I can't play on, it's just so fucking terrible. But I have to, I only have a few days left :/ thanks for that EA, I knew there had to be a catch, you being EA and stuff.
  • ValtermcPires 13 Aug 2014 18:47:46 7,329 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    [B]Urban Trial Freestyle - 7/10 (3DS)[/B]

Well this was a game i wanted for long time, and i wanted to buy it on PC but because of technical issues (a.k.a my pc could run it) i could bought it, so i decide to buy it on 3DS, and indeed was nice pick up.

The main mode of this game is build by 4 different sections, and we have a total of 6 levels to complete, and each section can be complete either on trial mode or time attack. In trial mode, the goal is to get the max of stars per level and the final result will be determined by the time sped, number of complete stuns, shortcuts, and number of fails. On Time Attack mode the goal is to fight against the clock, you can do the same as Time Trials but you have short time to do it. In order to unlock more levels (it has 6) you must get a ratio of 4 per section.

Then you have the create mode, were you build you own track, you have lot of options to try out.

Is a decent game but doesn't offer a huge replay value, to be honest at certain point gets boring doing the same thing over and over just to get money to upgrade our bike and buy more outfits.

Overall is nice game and for the price, 5, is a nice pick up to spend a few minutes a day.

Eat, Sleep, Play, Repeat! - Gaming Life

Consoles: PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance/DS/2DS/WiiU
    ID's: [size=3]Nintendo Network ID: ValtermcPires | 2DS FC: 4914-4851-8703 | PSN ID: [url="http://www.mypsntrophies.com/profile/Val

• drhickman1983 15 Aug 2014 21:11:10 391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tomb Raider: Anniversary - PC

Bought it for 1 something from a Humble Bundle store sale. It's getting old game, but I thought graphically it held up pretty well considering that. Helps that Crystal Dynamics went for a cartoon-ish look on the characters, I find that art style ages better.

The game play was fairly old school in many ways, but the platforming was mostly fun. The combat less so.

There were a few bug, most persistently a graphic bug when Lara climbed around a corner she'd float in the air for a second. But this didn't really effect gameplay. More damningly there was one bug that made a jump impossible to land, therefore totally stopping progress.

Looking online I wasn't the only person to have encountered this bug, and I had to resort to using a flying hack to get around it.

I did find myself getting a bit bored and frustrated at times. Some jump sequences were a bit fiddly, and occasionally the camera was a liablity meaning some failures felt unfair. Odd checkpointing at times meant having to repeat some sections got old real quick.

I'd say I was really enjoying myself for the 1st half of the game (enough to persuade me to buy TR:Legend and Underworld too) but could only stand playing for short bursts towards the end.

7/10. Tempted to knock it down to 6 because of the almost game breaking bug I mentioned. But I'll be generous.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 21:14:12 15-08-2014
  • damagedinc 15 Aug 2014 21:27:50 886 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Tomb Raider: Anniversary - PC

Bought it for 1 something from a Humble Bundle store sale. It's getting old game, but I thought graphically it held up pretty well considering that. Helps that Crystal Dynamics went for a cartoon-ish look on the characters, I find that art style ages better.

The game play was fairly old school in many ways, but the platforming was mostly fun. The combat less so.

There were a few bug, most persistently a graphic bug when Lara climbed around a corner she'd float in the air for a second. But this didn't really effect gameplay. More damningly there was one bug that made a jump impossible to land, therefore totally stopping progress.

Looking online I wasn't the only person to have encountered this bug, and I had to resort to using a flying hack to get around it.

I did find myself getting a bit bored and frustrated at times. Some jump sequences were a bit fiddly, and occasionally the camera was a liablity meaning some failures felt unfair. Odd checkpointing at times meant having to repeat some sections got old real quick.

I'd say I was really enjoying myself for the 1st half of the game (enough to persuade me to buy TR:Legend and Underworld too) but could only stand playing for short bursts towards the end.

7/10. Tempted to knock it down to 6 because of the almost game breaking bug I mentioned. But I'll be generous.
    Played this on psp few years ago and seem to remeber really enjoying it. Quite enjoyed underworld aswell on 360
  • drhickman1983 18 Aug 2014 11:24:40 391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Max Payne 3 - PC

I bought Max Payne 3 cheaply on sale, and didn't expect much. It exceeded my expectations.

Max Payne 3 is a very stylish game. Sometimes the cut scenes might seem to try a bit too hard to be stylish, with their on screen text popping up and split screens. Almost certainly a bit of style over substance. But, what style. And the substance isn't totally lacking.

At it's core it's a solid, cover based shooter, embellished by some nice bullet time tricks. The temptation is to jump around constantly, but that will almost surely end in death. The enemies are fairly tough, their aim accurate and their heads occasionally bullet spongey (I'm sure some guys took clean shots to the head and shrugged it off, and they weren't wearing armoured hats).

It's basically is a series of corridors, but the locations are varied and full of detail, and the colour palette varies from level from level, so it never felt repetitive.

The real joy of the game is Max himself. He does follow the "drunken washed-up ex-cop" template that's been seen in countless films, but I can't recall playing as one in a game before. His hard-boiled narration is entertaining and he makes for a very engaging protagonist.

A very solid 8/10.
  • Wunty_Phyve 19 Aug 2014 10:59:38 1,323 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Demon's Souls

40 hours all in. Brilliant. I swear the Large club wielding bastards in the Valley of Defilement will haunt me. Got quite easy towards the end but I find that is always the case with souls games as you fine tune your char and get more familiar with the dynamics. Many memorable moments mean that although I was originally planning on flogging my ps3 once I'd finished it I've got a feeling I'll be playing it again.

In the meantime... Back to the Dark Souls 2 dlc.
  • Malek86 19 Aug 2014 11:17:50 865 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Silent Hill

Worst ending, whoops. In my defense, the game doesn't make it easy to explore around, and I was trying to avoid using a guide.
  • Rhaegyr 19 Aug 2014 12:16:13 2,247 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Wunty_Phyve

Favourite bosses/areas?

Gotta love Tower of Latria.
  • Wunty_Phyve 19 Aug 2014 12:22:16 1,323 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Rhaegyr Maiden Astraea, old monk, false idol... All three dumbfounded my expectations! Allant would have been a good fight melee but I shot him with arrows instead. Loved Latria, hated Defilement (but in a good way!). The level design was exquisite. Hard to pick fav moments when the whole game is that good...
  • Rhaegyr 19 Aug 2014 12:50:05 2,247 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Wunty_Phyve

Very true - I think everyone 'hates' Defilement in the same way they do Blighttown - it is a pain in the ass but there's a huge sense of satisfaction/elation once you get through them and realise you don't have to come back :D

Fave would have to be the Flamelurker - the way he enters and the accompanying music is pure hype material. Tower Knight is another 'holy shit' moment, too.

Did you catch Yurt in time before he wiped everyone out?

Edited by Rhaegyr at 12:50:38 19-08-2014
  • lordofdeadside 19 Aug 2014 13:10:57 1,136 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Child of Light PS4

Enjoyable RPG adventure through a beautiful world. Combat is fun and quite tactical on the higher difficulty. However, the story is simplistic, involves too many characters and is told in the most agonisingly awful rhyme the whole way through. Dragged a bit by the end.

75%

Edited by lordofdeadside at 13:11:23 19-08-2014
  • Malek86 19 Aug 2014 13:26:45 865 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Wunty_Phyve Allant is not that fun melee. It's mostly a matter of understanding his pattern, and once you do, he becomes easy (I've took him on by myself even in NG+). But his shockwave attack interrupts the battle too often. Overall, it's too long because you are spending most of the time rolling back. Granted, the Flamelurker is similar, but at least he's hard even if you know its pattern.

Personally, I didn't think the bosses in Demon's were particularly memorable. The real meat of the game was getting through the levels, while the bosses felt very unbalanced, often too easy, rarely too hard. I would say it wasn't until Dark Souls that bosses became the focus of the series (up to a fault in Dark Souls 2 and some of its questionable choices).

Edited by Malek86 at 13:27:20 19-08-2014
  • Wunty_Phyve 19 Aug 2014 15:46:35 1,323 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Rhaegyr I think Blighty has nothing on Defilement! Don't think I would have figured tower knight if I hadn't been told of his Achilles heel. First encounter was a pant filling moment for sure.

Errr I got Yurt but he said I was the last one then attacked me so must have been too late!!! Wore half his gloom armour for the rest of the game actually.

Re: bosses
    I find each of the souls games have their share of duffers but still memorable encounters in their own way. I was thinking about this earlier and my top three actually all appear in the Artorias expansion. But there are so many awesome moments over all three games. Easily the best gaming experience I've had for a long time. Possibly ever. Not sure I've put anywhere close to the amount of time into any other game series. In fact I'm sure I haven't.
  • Malek86 19 Aug 2014 16:40:25 865 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Souls is definitely one of the series where I've spent a whole lot of time. Must be up there with Elder Scrolls and Serious Sam.

Which is kind of ironic, because most people have this weird idea that you can't appreciate both Skyrim and Dark Souls. If you like one, you must hate the other. Heh.
  • Exceptional_leg 20 Aug 2014 04:13:09 120 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Ether One (PC) - 9/10

Upon hearing of the upcoming PS4 release, I decided it was time to pluck this one from the depths of my Steam back catalogue and give it a whirl.

Despite some niggling bugs, I was truly impressed by what White Paper Games have done here. Wonderful puzzle construction, in combination with a very strong narrative made for one of the most compelling games I have played in quite some time. The world design is also brilliant, oozing details and lore to flesh out the rest of the story. As for those ending(s), well, I was genuinely moved - quite beautiful.

Top work! My new favourite developer. :-)

Edited by Exceptional_leg at 04:13:43 20-08-2014
  • MatMan562 20 Aug 2014 17:43:54 2,510 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've just completed the single-player campaign of Battlefield 4. I originally played the first level on launch day of the PS4 but then moved straight to the multiplayer and heard lots of people complaining about losing their sp save file so figured I'd wait. After nearly 200 hours of the mp I thought that was probably enough waiting.

It's a pretty average fps, doesn't really do anything amazing or wrong. I'd say it's perhaps a little unfair as I would often die from things I couldn't have avoided without foreknowledge but I liked that nearly every enemy would die from one shot to the head by a DMR even though I was playing on hard difficulty.

I think the single-player gets a 5/10 but, as always with Battlefield, it's all about the mp so overall I think the game is worth a 9/10 (if you ignore the state of the game at launch anyway).

• Vortex808 20 Aug 2014 23:02:03 7,293 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Last of Us Remastered. PS4.

What a superb game. I'm sure enough has been said about it already. Some slightly shonky bits, but more than compensated for by the enjoyable story, mood and immersion.

Loved Left Behind too and I also enjoy the multiplayer very much too.

However, being very time-limited for gaming time, it'll sadly be a last hurrah on mp stuff this weekend, then back to Sniper Elite 3 or watchdogs until Destiny is out.

I think this is pretty close to a 10/10 for me. Certainly up there with Fallout 3 & Bioshock for my favourite recent games.
  • HarryPalmer 21 Aug 2014 10:03:46 3,409 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Last of Us Remastered - 9/10

Second playthrough. Still love it.

The actual gameplay feels clunkier now, but the story and the quality of the writing/acting mean that it retains its impact. The story isn't particularly original (it borrows heavily from The Road, among others), but it's pretty brave in places, especially for such a mainstream game.

The final few hours are so tense, and the pay-off is really special.

Left Behind - 9/10

Even more powerful than the main game. The combat is less frequent, but more varied, and it feels a bit slicker to play. I love the world that they've created.
  • the_milkybar_kid 21 Aug 2014 11:54:58 508 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    The Last of Us Remastered.

My second playthrough (first on the PS4), enjoyed it even more than last year. It's used sparingly but the music is so powerful all the way through, especially during the hospital before and after you pick up Ellie. And during the credits when you've got time to reflect. Tense, atmospheric and some of the best script and voice acting I've had the pleasure to enjoy from a video game.

I think I gave the PS3 version a 9, so 10/10 is only fair. Now onto Left Behind and multiplayer.
  • mrpon 21 Aug 2014 12:00:39 29,184 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone recognise Nolan North in it? Me neither.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• the_milkybar_kid 21 Aug 2014 12:02:55 508 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    No! Didn't realise this time round and forgot all about him last year until the credits last night. Awesome job portraying that character.
  • HarryPalmer 21 Aug 2014 20:15:50 3,409 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great performance from him.
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Aug 2014 20:59:27 8,314 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I did not realise either.
  • Page

of 417 First / Last