Recently Completed Games Page 368

• Page

of 417 First / Last

• Matt36 24 Nov 2013 21:39:16 1,386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @SolidSCB Do I dare nit-pick and mention Twin Snakes?
  • King_Edward 24 Nov 2013 21:50:36 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Twin Snakes was a pale shadow of its glorious inspiration.
  • Matt36 24 Nov 2013 21:52:16 1,386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I always thought it was regarded as better?
  • King_Edward 24 Nov 2013 21:56:57 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Matt36

It's mechanically better, but soulless. The lazy voice acting and backflipping ninja snake spoiled the whole tone of the characters.

Edited by King_Edward at 21:57:23 24-11-2013
  • Matt36 24 Nov 2013 21:59:52 1,386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @King_Edward Fair enough. I do like that they added the FPS mode mind. Pretty much all I can really remember that was different.
  • Rajin 24 Nov 2013 22:21:27 630 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @King_Edward

Not even that, i did not like how it controlled with the gamecube controller. Weird pauses in between cut-scenes(and no music and appropriate times makes it awkward(Psycho Mantis part should have had music while the scene was going on with Meryl)

Some changes to the scrypt were good though(Meryl actually trying to ''seduce'' snake instead of pointing the gun straight away)

Voice acting is generally worse(re-recorded with a emphasis on exaggeration) Removal of accents for no apparent reason(Mei lin sounds like a 13 year old child with a annoying american accent)

Still the graphics are way better and some level design has been adjusted in good way. The First person view makes some of the boss fights to easy(breaks the fight of ocelot, psycho mantis etc)
  • Telepathic.Geometry 25 Nov 2013 06:09:03 11,396 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished Infamous off again there the other day. Great game, but I was reminded how annoying the controls could be at times in a tight spot. Still, fantastic open world hero game for its time. 9/10

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• StrikeForce 25 Nov 2013 13:44:55 109 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DmC Devil May Cry (360)
    Really enjoyable game. For the most part it's visually amazing with some beautifully surreal levels. As someone who usually struggles to care about video game stories, I was surprised by the solid narrative, with a decent, amusing script and excellent acting. The fighting mechanics were great too, with plenty of depth and an interesting selection of weapons. Finished it on Nephilim difficulty which seemed about right level for me to learn the basics without being too easy. Will be coming back to it at some point to try out the harder difficulty levels.

• coomber 26 Nov 2013 17:56:43 337 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dead Space 3

Brilliant. Like the previous sequel, it doesn't quite have the magic of the first game but still fantastic. The occasional graphical glitch aside, it is technically superb. And it's such a shame it often gets slated for the micro-transactions because they are not pushed on to you at all. It's left completely in the background for people to use only if they really want to. And you don't need them at all.

9/10
  • Telepathic.Geometry 27 Nov 2013 02:50:32 11,396 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Leaving micro-transactions completely out of it, I'd give that game a 7/10, max.

Very pretty to look at, and started out well enough. the space sections were fun, and I really loved some of the engineering bits, where you were reassembling shit...

But everything else was awful. They destroyed the fiction IMO, they turned the horror and surprises of the previous two games into a predictable shooting gallery. Huge disappointment for me...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• MadCaddy13 27 Nov 2013 07:50:00 1,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Batman: Arkham Oranges

The weakest game of the trilogy (unsurprisingly) but still an enjoyable ride nonetheless.
    It glitched on me only a couple of times so I consider myself fortunate.
    The bosses were ok although I've not heard of a couple of them and I'm a fairly big batman fan. Deadshot was just a common mercenary where he should of had a better persona IMO. It's like what Yahtzee said: they are practically twin brothers him and deathstroke.
    Loved the Red Hood nod.
    Overall I enjoyed it! Not game of the year but still.

And it needed more Oranges just for the namesake.

73/100
  • MadCaddy13 27 Nov 2013 07:54:17 1,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Finished Infamous off again there the other day. Great game, but I was reminded how annoying the controls could be at times in a tight spot. Still, fantastic open world hero game for its time. 9/10
    Yeh, I'm currently (finally, bought it at launch!) playing inFamous 2 and the controls are so annoying. The rotating and turning of the character is too quick and I can't change the settings. Loving it all the same though
  • King_Edward 27 Nov 2013 07:58:48 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @MadCaddy13

The good old fashioned, pre-Assassins Creed instant turn around. I miss that in my games.
  • HarryPalmer 27 Nov 2013 09:32:00 3,407 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception - 7/10

Abandoned this when it first came out. Decided to give it another go when it came available through PS+.

As someone else on here said, it suffered from over-hype and a weight of expectation.

It isn't as good as the other two. It feels rushed, lacks cohesion, the story makes little sense, and whole sections feel tacked on. It feels very formulaic. There is just too much shooting, it becomes mind-dumbing and frustrating. The ship section in particular represented such a pointless difficulty spike that I was tempted to ditch it for a second time.

That said, the atmosphere is still great at times, when the set-pieces click, they are very impressive, it looks stunning, and there are some very imaginative pieces. I'd actually like to see Naughty Dog do a full on fantasy game.
  • imamazed 27 Nov 2013 09:34:16 5,778 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Typing of The Dead: Overkill

I feel that most of the boss battles don't quite translate to the typing controls. Other than that it was a blast though. I'd not played the original game but always meant to.

7/10
  • Nitrous 27 Nov 2013 10:10:56 426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Halo 4: Its an enjoyable fps and looks great but I'll never understand the plot.

Tomb Raider (ps3)
    I'm not a fan of the traditional TR games so I enjoyed this probably more than most. If you like the uncharted games and can get past the whole its not a true tr game then give this a try.

Trying to complete a few games and trade or sell them before the trade in values drop even more. Not much point in letting them sit on the shelve collecting dust IMO.
  • Deleted user 27 November 2013 16:25:38
    Remember me.

Pros.

Pretty.
    Great soundtrack.
    Lovely world.
    Interesting story.
    Reasonable lead character.
    Remixing memories.
    Cons.

Average combat,
    Easy platform sections,
    Lead character sounds like Lara croft.
    Most side characters are terrible.
    World although amazing isn't fleshed out.
    Way too long loading time when you die.
    Remixing memories.

Could have been great with more time and money, plenty of great ideas with some questionable implementing.

Feels like a high budget arcade title.

Closest game I can think of to this is enslaved.

6/10.
  • SolidSCB 27 Nov 2013 16:50:51 6,874 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Matt36 wrote:
    I always thought it was regarded as better?
    I can't believe it took me two days to catch on to this frankly sickening retort.
  • Monsieur_Blade 29 Nov 2013 12:13:24 348 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Far Cry 3

I'm trying to get through my backlog of games before I buy a PS4 in a couple of months. Finally got round to completing this.

I absolutely loved the first 10 hours or so but I got a little bored after I reached the 2nd island (very much like I did in Red Dead Redemption) and left it for a couple of months. Came back to it this week and remembered just what a good game it is!

Really enjoyed the storyline and the island setting was amazing. I think one of the biggest pluses though was the fact the side missions were as enjoyable as the main story for once. I had just as much fun taking down all the outposts as I did with the main plot.

Brilliant game and the best open world FPS I've ever played!

9/10
  • Gunzberg 29 Nov 2013 12:38:55 1,741 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GRID 2 6/10

Started great then got progressively worse because of the same tracks being repeated over and over and over and over and over and over again. For five bloody long seasons. Abandoned the game after Season 4 as it got so boring. Nothing happening online and a lot of cars handle like absolute dogs.

Could have been saved by more tracks and less constant repeated use of the same tracks

Saint's Row IV 9.5/10

Not expecting the Last of Us here but as a game aimed at fun it totally succeeds. More stable than SR3, great humour, satire, parodies and script. Love the fact that the side quests also complete the map activities, meaning less faffing about. -5% for one mission freezing on me once, fairly crap DLC (and the fact that it has DLC) and the music tracks being too few. Apart from that it's great!

Edited by Gunzberg at 12:43:18 29-11-2013

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• TOOTR 2 Dec 2013 03:24:47 9,599 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GTA IV : The Lost and the Damned

Nice to clear this off the backlog finally.

Enjoyed it more than the main storyline but still found it frustrating at times in that GTA IV controller buried in treacle kind of way.

Many missions are same, same but 2 or 3 were an absolute blast. The writing is good without being amazing.

Still, Liberty city itself continues to impress as an incredibly intricate environment. (Until I play GTA V no doubt).

Felt a lot of satisfaction at finishing this at last. Now onto TBOGT.

7/10

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• Deleted user 2 December 2013 06:49:58
    Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons

Played through in one sitting on Saturday. Amazingly pretty game but pretty shallow stuff with only very light puzzling to pass for gameplay. Plays like a slightly less frustrating version of ICO (harder to fall off stuff)

6/10
  • DFawkes 2 Dec 2013 10:28:51 23,286 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mass Effect 3 Special Edition (Wii U)

I was a bit concerned when I bought this that it wouldn't make any sense, given I'd only played a few hours of ME1, but I needn't have worried. Even played on it's own, this game is just incredible :)

It just blends story and action so well. It's really well written in places and it's surprising just how well it introduces characters in a way that it's easy for newcomers to understand them and their motivations without knowing all the backstory. The Genesis 2 comic prologue does well to catch you up, and the rest works really well. I did think they might not give you time to make your own story, assuming you'd been developing those relationships for 2 games, but thankfully the game is big enough to let you really get into it.

Sure, there are a couple of things they seemed to forget, such as a character called Legion popping up with almost no clues to who he is or why I should know him, but generally every other character is well rounded, even in their self contained state. Miranda, Ashley, Tali, Garrus and most of the rest all have satisfying stories to see in action. It really has surprised me just how much I loved the story. Making sure a member of the crew got over a loved ones death, or bringing other people together, or desperately trying to get into Ashley's underwear all made it feel more alive.

I also loved the ending. It just felt so right for me and the way I'd played it. I went back and read EGs article about it, now it's no longer a spoiler, and I couldn't disagree more with their interpretation of the ending I chose (the middle one). It felt like the right way for it to come to a close for me. That said, if I'd been playing 3 games worth I can understand the disappointment, but if that was me, I'd see the whole 3rd game as an ending.

That's just the story though, I also loved the gameplay. I wasn't a huge fan of the combat in ME1, which felt far too lose, but that's gone. This feels a lot tighter and more intense. The guns and powers you have are really satisfying and enjoyable to use. I'll definitely be playing the multiplayer for a while yet, as it's a great way to use classes you never tried yourself. There's a lot of choice and having 4 of you with different styles is very enjoyable indeed :)

Obviously it's still best to play the trilogy, but if you only have a Wii U, it's still a great stand-alone game. In fact the only bit I really didn't like was that bit on Rannoch. You'll know it if you've played it. Screw that bit. Sure, google got me past it, but it just felt a bit cheap before I knew certain things. But even that bit isn't too bad now I know. I loved it all, and will probably do a New Game Plus soon enough.

10/10

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• IJ 2 Dec 2013 11:05:46 841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tomb Raider - Xbox 360

I bought this a few months ago when it was cheap on GOD, mostly off the back of the very positive reviews from posts on this very thread, I doubt I would have got it on the reviews alone.

First, this isn't Tomb Raider, at least not as we used to know it, the last version I'd played was Anniversary (which was superb). But, if you can get over that, it's a fantastic game. First, the graphics are by far the best I've seen on a console, simply staggering in places. The Crystal Dynamics artists should be applauded. The lightening especially is superb throughout. This does blur the line between current gen and next gen, if this had been a PS4 or Xbox1 launch game I would have believed it. When you come out of the cave for the first time after the first sequence I couldn't believe it wasn't a cutscene.

The story is likeable enough but is completely rubbish at times. Lets sit down and have a laugh around a campfire moments after some mad men have just tried to kill me? Er, I don't think you'd just sit around a camp fire love. The peripheral characters were all nonsense as well but Lara herself is likeable enough.

The rest of the gameplay is good fun and the areas feel open enough to explore and find your own path. I wasn't a huge fan of the collectables but you can ignore them and I can see how it'd be a bit of fun to go back and explore to find them all. It's all optional so it's difficult to complain about them. I do tend to agree there was a bit too much combat, but I never found it dull or boring. The bow was a great weapon and the rest of the weapons were satisfying to use. I loaded up on the melee skills so I used those and the bow mostly and found combat generally engaging.

So it was a good adventure romp, amazing graphics, fun story, good engaging combat and gameplay. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to be honest.

But, it's not tomb raider, it's Uncharted with Lara Croft. For that, surely it's a poorer game than it could be. In the one or two areas when there was a genuine puzzle and some genuine platforming, it was great. I hope they expand on that at the expense of a few less guys to slaughter.

8.5/10 Highly recommended.

Edited by IJ at 11:08:03 02-12-2013
  • THFourteen 2 Dec 2013 20:00:38 33,800 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Batman Arkham Asylum (9/10)

Yes the original one! Finally got my 5 worth on the steam sale, must have bought it a year or two ago.

Thought it was fantastic, especially loved the scarecrow scenes.

The difficulty of the game on normal was just right for me, had to replay bits and pieces but never so much that I got frustrated, thought the boss battles were excellent, and loved how all the baddies had been done.
  • BloodMountain88 3 Dec 2013 19:33:14 150 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Killzone 3 campaign.

Tried this out a couple of times before but couldn't get into it, but decided to give it one last try. Enjoyed it for the most part. The shooting mechanics are satisfying, and the visuals are fantastic, but there were a few too many on-rails sequences for my liking, and the story was rubbish. Overall a good game, but not as good as Killzone 2.

7/10
  • THFourteen 3 Dec 2013 22:49:43 33,800 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    KOTOR for iPad - 9/10

Finished more games in the last two days than I have for months!

Not much to say about this one, it's still ace after all these years, and having finished it now, I'm not actually sure I ever finished it back in the day. You can really see where mass effect was inspired from.

Hoping KOTOR 2 comes to ios one day.
  • dsmx 3 Dec 2013 23:03:54 7,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @THFourteen Go try it on hard. punishes you for making mistakes more and you lose the enemy attack indicator, actually makes you feel like batman. Takes some getting used to but it feels so much more satisfying when you nail a section perfectly.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Nitrous 4 Dec 2013 19:33:31 426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Splintercell blacklist (360)

It's better than conviction, you can move bodies for a start but other than that I don't think it's advanced a great deal. I enjoyed it for what it is however.

Hitman absolution (PS3)

Really struggled to get into this but played it through on normal difficulty just to complete it. It's still a hitman game but probably not one id replay.
  • Matt36 5 Dec 2013 02:02:16 1,386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Assassin's Creed (360)

After 6 years, I've finally sat down and finished. But my god what a ball ache!!

+ I finished it
    + Unique
    + Enjoyable story

- Tedious controls
    - Horrible camera
    - Random combat
    - Hasn't aged well
    - Slow reactions
    - Random attacks
    - Crazy people in the street

I could go in to detail but its 2am and I want to move on from the mess. Awful, personally. Curious to what scores this game would get if released now (On PS3 & 360, of course)...

4/10
  • Page

of 417 First / Last