Tropical Fish Page 2

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• mentat 2 Mar 2005 16:22:15 5,613 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    That's a beaut.

Mentat, you're doing all the right things - so no idea why you're getting algae probs...

One more stab - have a go at lowering the temperature and if the light's on a separate mains feed get one of those cheapo mains timers that switch on and off a couple of times a day and program it to switch the light off for say half an hour every 4 hours...

If you're going to get a plec get a baby one, it's quite amazing watching the little sods grow from a tiny tank-scraper to a titanic nautilus of a beast!

Peej

Ah, sadly the light power supply is built into the hood etc. So it's not possible to use a timer...

I used to have a tank a few years back, and plecs always were my favourite :)
  • mentat 14 Mar 2005 12:51:10 5,613 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    *bounce*

Bit of a bounce here, just thought i'd say i'm obviously doing something right here, cos my aquarium population went from 4 neons and 2 platies to 4 neons and 7 platies whilst i watched \o/

I'm a daddy! :)
  • Khanivor 14 Mar 2005 12:58:17 40,402 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Howm any of the little ones left alive now?

You shouldn't have to feed the big fish today ;)
  • pjmaybe 14 Mar 2005 12:58:38 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yay!

Platies are dead easy to breed (randy little sods) as are guppies. Hint. If you want a lot of babies, get a few guppies but watch out because guppy babies make great fish food..;)

Peej
  • mentat 14 Mar 2005 13:04:48 5,613 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Howm any of the little ones left alive now?

You shouldn't have to feed the big fish today ;)

All of them ;)

I have a trap that i managed to catch three in, but the other two evaded me.

But there aren't any big fish in there - only the two platies and some neons, so i think i'm going to let out the babies later tonight.

They are so cute though!

All eyes and fins!
  • pjmaybe 14 Mar 2005 13:51:09 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Most of the advice above re: algae might help...

Plants - seriously think that unless you have problems oxygenating the water, it's better to get plastic ones and some sort of bubble curtain thing for the back of the tank - this'll also help with the algae problem because all those nice bits of shredded plant just promote algae growth too...

Bought my lot some of those weird little glow in the dark jellyfish a while back and damned if the little buggers didn't chew them to bits too!

Peej
  • mentat 14 Mar 2005 14:56:00 5,613 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ace Grace wrote:
    Might be worth a try Peej. It will also cost less in the long run. :-)

Whats a bubble curtain?

Edited by Ace Grace at 14:51:16 14-03-2005
    it's just a porous pipe that you bury beneath the gravel and have an airpump attached to the other end.

It's like an air stone, but it looks much, much cooler! :)

I have one - it's along the back of the tank and it bubbles up in front of the filter and both sides of a lump of bog wood.

it's good for the fish too.
  • pjmaybe 14 Mar 2005 14:57:52 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye, basically what he said...

If you ever want a "clean" tank you will have to ditch the plants...go for some bogwood and a couple of airstones / air curtain and your tank will be lovely and clean AND your fish will live longer and not be susceptible to fungal diseases.

Peej
  • pjmaybe 14 Mar 2005 15:25:42 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ace Grace wrote:
    Ah. I have some bogwood already and an air stone, which is a bit shit really.

Can I use an air pipe with a sand base?

Yup. You can get some triangular-section stuff that'll do the trick. Feed an airline into that, and bury most of it under the sand at the back (leaving just the ridge poking up) and that'll work nicely. Shouldn't get blocked because the sand'll move off it easy enough.

Peej
  • mentat 26 May 2005 11:17:25 5,613 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    *mahoosive bump*

My tank's ticking along quite nicely now, but i'm having a hell of a time with the plants.

I forget what they are called, but i had some long thin grassy type plants and a couple of tall large leafed plants, but they've all died right back and look nasty.
    The only plants that seem happy are some small asian something or other that likes bogwood.

What am i doing wrong? How do you chaps keep your plants thriving?
  • pjmaybe 26 May 2005 11:28:35 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Plants - you know what? it's actually tougher to keep them alive than it is the fish.

To be honest, I use "real" plants sparingly, I've got about 2 separate clusters of the wispy stuff growing from compacted moss on the bogwood I've got in the tank, and that seems to be the best way to grow it. Growing it from the tank bottom, you will never get a clean/clear tank and you'll be fighting algae all the way.

If you do want coverage plants, trust me on this, go for some of the plastic varieties.

You really don't need plants at all unless you're not using an oxygenating pump.

If you're dead set on growing plants and keeping 'em going you may well need to do what I did when I first got my tank - get a smaller tank, put some of the water from your main tank in there plus about 60% fresh water and let the plants get established in some silver sand for about 2 weeks before transferring them to your main tank.

Hope that helps.

Peej
  • crashVoodoo 15 Apr 2008 08:20:20 3,853 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    just got a tank. tropical freshwater fishies are swimming around while i type this. it's so peaceful.

must say tho, my clown loach is turning into a right lil bastard. it seems to chase the little tetras mercilessly .. quite fun to watch :)

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• DocX 15 Apr 2008 11:19:38 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    just got a tank. tropical freshwater fishies are swimming around while i type this. it's so peaceful.

must say tho, my clown loach is turning into a right lil bastard. it seems to chase the little tetras mercilessly .. quite fun to watch :)

I hope you've got a big tank, those clown loaches get massive. I was thinking of getting some to clean up the snail plague in my tanks, but mine aren't big enough.
  • crashVoodoo 18 Apr 2008 08:51:48 3,853 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DocX wrote:
    crashVoodoo wrote:

I hope you've got a big tank, those clown loaches get massive. I was thinking of getting some to clean up the snail plague in my tanks, but mine aren't big enough.
    yeah, i've got a big tank.

tell you what, they love bloodworm. chucked a bloodworm cube in yesterday. they all went fucking nuts.

it was like when sharks attack. can't wait till they all get bigger :)

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Agent_Llama 18 Apr 2008 09:30:09 3,339 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Clown loaches *love* bloodworm blocks. Mine adores it. Currently enduring the problem of green scum on the surface of the tank. Any suggestions folks? I think it's because I put some real plants in a couple of weeks back, all bar one of which have been growing ok - I know that rotting plant = algae problem.

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola
    FFXIV ARR: Alekzander Lockhart, Odin

• Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:56:01
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
  • binky Moderator 11 Dec 2012 11:29:43 9,457 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I'm thinking of setting up a smallish aquarium. I didn't think 28l was small, but apparently it is. Anyway, any advice would be super! Is it too small to not bother, or can I happily house a handful of tetra and a shrimp or 2?

If poss, would also like to get a fighting fish in there, but wondering if the tank is too small for all that? Advice much appreciated.
  • kalel 11 Dec 2012 11:34:25 86,417 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fighting fish funnily enough will fight your other fish :) Not sure what other fish you can house then with if any. I know the females are more placid but also nowhere near as pretty.

I think the general rule is 10L for each inch of fish, so yeah, 30l is on the small side although I wouldn't have thought that's ridiculously small for a few tetra. Perhaps the shrimp is pushing it, and yeah, the betta is definitely overkill (fighting tendencies aside).
  • RyanDS 11 Dec 2012 11:37:07 9,066 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd say you could happilly get a Betta (fighting fish) and a dwarf frog in there.

I would avoid tetras though. They are small, but quite active.
  • Popzeus 11 Dec 2012 11:41:23 8,272 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not great with capacity measurements, do you have width/height/depth stats so I can visualise what kind of tank you're looking at?

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• kalel 11 Dec 2012 11:41:32 86,417 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, just the betta on its own would be a good fish, and they're super low maintenance. You could probably have a smaller tank in truth.

But if you do want a little community then I'd look for different fish - minnows, platys, tetras etc.
  • binky Moderator 11 Dec 2012 12:24:25 9,457 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I honestly have no idea. I like the idea of something that my 2.5yr old son can bond with, hence wanting something a bit bigger than the tetra and in the shops I've been to locally they've been keeping tetra and fighting fish together so thought I'd be ok.

The reason I have mentioned tetra is purely selfish. Love watching those in aquatic centres. I find them really hypnotic :D
  • kalel 11 Dec 2012 13:16:39 86,417 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A bit of googling suggests that perhaps you can keep betta with tetra, although there seems to be conflicting bits of info. I'd talk to the shop about it.

What tank set up are you getting?
  • binky Moderator 11 Dec 2012 13:39:07 9,457 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was thinking maybe something like this to start with.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/aqua-one-aquastart-320-graphite-86113
  • kalel 11 Dec 2012 13:44:41 86,417 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool. I can't see that being big enough for more than three of four fish, and small ones at that. Again, talk to the shop, but as said above, you might be better off with one really cool looking fish like a nice betta. That's not really community tank size imo.
  • binky Moderator 11 Dec 2012 13:49:43 9,457 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tis a fair comment, and that's why I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before jumping in.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last