Getting rid of Sky services Page 3

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• wobbly_Bob 24 Jun 2014 00:12:29 4,323 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm with talk talk. My line rental and Internet is £20 + netflix £5.99 + unblockus £2.70 + freeview £0.00 + iplayer/5demand/40d/bbc sports/it player £0.00 = £28.69 a month for more tv and movies than I could ever realistically watch with no sodding adverts and the ability to watch it when I want. Just with netflix and unblockus you are talking thounds of TV shows and movies.

Talk talk have a deal on at the moment I think it's £1.25 a month Internet so you could get the price down even lower!

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 00:14:29 24-06-2014
  • President_Weasel 24 Jun 2014 00:16:52 12,339 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But you have to somehow obtain a phone line from the spectacularly incompetent thundercunts at BT and Openreach, so it's basically an impossible dream.
  • AceGrace 24 Jun 2014 10:53:14 3,154 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @greenthumb OK. Thanks for the info.
  • brandon-flowers 20 Jul 2014 10:04:28 188 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just got a letter through stating a £4 price rise from September add to that the £5 we will need for sky Go and I am going to have to think long and hard what to do here! I already went to BT last year for Broadband so it's just the full sky package I have but I feel this maybe one step to far from those greedy bastards

Edited by brandon-flowers at 10:04:59 20-07-2014
  • wobbly_Bob 20 Jul 2014 11:16:24 4,323 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sky are greedy dinosaurs. Already the vanguard of early adaptors and the tech savy have cut the cable. It will be a slow change but it's going to happen. Average Joe blogs is already starting to change but once the younger generation enters their 20s and 30s along with the rise of Internet enabled tvs being standard sky is dead.
  • HelloNo 22 Jul 2014 01:30:31 1,997 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good.
  • Dougs 22 Jul 2014 07:49:51 84,253 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hang on, they're going to charge a fiver for regular Sky Go, not just Extra?
  • Deleted user 22 July 2014 08:24:00
    Got rid of sky years ago and after seeing what it's like a few weeks ago at a hotel that had it, I'm glad.

90% of it just seems like repeats and stuff I'd never watch. The rest appears on other services like netflix, blinkbox etc.

Also, I had a look for cartoons to see if they're showing any of the stuff I watched when I was a kid or new cartoons...wow. Where the hell have they all gone? Seems like there were loads of great kid/teen shows when I was younger. Arthur, Hey Arnold, DBZ, Doug, Courage the cowardly dog, Rugrats, Recess the list is endless...
  • magicpanda 23 Jul 2014 11:41:43 14,635 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fucking fuck Sky. Fuck them in the ass.

I'm being charged for NOT having a product. I'm paying them money for not buying something from them. Monthly.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 23 Jul 2014 11:43:40 6,468 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:

I'm being charged for NOT having a product. I'm paying them money for not buying something from them. Monthly.
    Put your baby on the phone to them, and have him do his trick. They'll surely feel uncomfortable and refund everything. Or you know.... Call social services.
  • PatrickEwing 23 Jul 2014 11:55:48 2,341 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fuck sky indeed, I just cancelled tv package this weekend after realising that I hardly watch sky programmes and refusing their latest price increase. Their cancellation team are like the flippin Gestapo.
    I had to go through the condescending tone of their questioning as to why leaving and then when they kindly agreed to let me cancel the operator said he'll just put me on hold and process the cancellation..... then fucking hung up.
    I fell for this twice!
  • Deleted user 23 July 2014 12:05:47
    Breaking up with Sky is worse then breaking up your marriage. Just curious, did they offer you any crazy deals to stay?
  • PatrickEwing 23 Jul 2014 13:11:23 2,341 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was on £25.odd / month with a couple of packs, I think they were offering £18.00 for the year.
  • Mageme 23 Jul 2014 13:36:26 2,210 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:

I've just received my first bill for Sky and similarly I've been charged for not having a Sky product for a period before I even started a contract with them. Definitely going to battle with their customer services over this!
  • ILoveThrashMetal 23 Jul 2014 14:19:59 1,066 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can cancel online over live chat.
    I got an email from them the other day "we know when you cancelled your sky subscription you unsubscribed from us choosing not to hear from us by phone/post/email, this is just an email to see if you have changed your mind and would like to take up some great offers"
    Cunts, there's a reason I unsubscribed , and why didn't you give me these offers when I was a customer?  Fucking cocknuggets.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2014 14:42:02
    Right then, I think this thread was all I needed to fuck Sky off. I barely watch the bastard thing anyway.
  • PatrickEwing 23 Jul 2014 15:05:51 2,341 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They are indeed bastards, fuck them off.
  • Dougs 23 Jul 2014 15:17:15 84,253 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Had the letter through yesterday, doesn't look like they are charging for Sky Go (other than Extra). But anoher £2.50 and I will definitely be cancelling once my 50% off deal expires. Plusnet looks like it can save me £160 for their broadband too. Although never really had an issue with Sky BB.
  • kentmonkey 23 Jul 2014 17:13:41 22,422 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I really want to bin them, but I think we'll miss a lot of the shows we watch.

The wife watches Banshee, and I watch Ray Donovan (although I could in theory lose that. I'm not that hooked on it). Then we jointly watch Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

From what I could see last night, I can only get all of those via the Sky Now service (albeit a lot cheaper) however I lose the ability to pause them (when viewing live) and also I've heard the quality can really dip between shows.

Netflix seemed to be very out of date, and not having much on their that we watch, albeit I love the idea of it. Amazon seemed completely shit. BT similarly (and quite expensive, although I do have their broadband).

If there was a service where I could have access to it all, I'd change. And I'm still thinking of binning it anyway as we have our first (and probably only) child (2 weeks old) and we're not getting much time to watch things, obviously. That said, the ability to record and pause has been really useful, especially for things that my wife likes to watch but has trouble to due to feeding (Emmerdale, nonsense about houses and doing up houses, etc.).
  • Dougs 23 Jul 2014 17:22:08 84,253 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Congrats mate! Kept that one quiet!
  • kentmonkey 23 Jul 2014 17:28:41 22,422 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks. I didn't want to tempt fate until little'un was here safe and sound.

My gaming time has significantly dropped! :o)
  • Jono62 23 Jul 2014 19:07:55 18,650 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just make sure this doesn't happen to you:

http://gu.com/p/4v6ke
  • jamievilla 23 Jul 2014 19:46:28 841 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So has anyone find a way around still getting the football games without Sky? I know I can just have BT Sport but I'm guessing if I want all of the games shown each weekend then I'm going to have just man up and pay?

Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered but I'm on my phone after receiving another price increase letter from these fuckers!!
  • Agent_Llama 23 Jul 2014 20:01:06 3,680 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Currently pay Sky just over £50 for phone, broadband and basic tv package, plus Sky F1 HD.

I'd ditch it for something cheaper if it wasn't for F1.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2014 20:05:11
    There's like four televised games I *really* want to see a season, so I go to the pub (with a European sub) and a fucktonne of beer money from saving on paying for Sky Sports.

Not paying Gary Neville's salary? Priceless.
  • Dougs 23 Jul 2014 20:06:15 84,253 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    jamievilla wrote:
    So has anyone find a way around still getting the football games without Sky? I know I can just have BT Sport but I'm guessing if I want all of the games shown each weekend then I'm going to have just man up and pay?

Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered but I'm on my phone after receiving another price increase letter from these fuckers!!
    Other than dodgy streams, I'm afraid so. Or getting into things like trying to get a feed from foreign satellites or websites etc. Some tried the feed from Al Jazeera sport but they blocked the geo workaround quite quickly.
  • Page

of 22 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.