The official Red Dwarf thread \o/ Page 35

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• bad09 5 Oct 2012 10:52:30 5,783 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Whizzo

The Gelf and the Sirens were not human creation. :)
  • dsmx 5 Oct 2012 10:54:22 7,589 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    An early plot point rimmers futile hunt for alien life?

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Machetazo 5 Oct 2012 10:56:09 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ep 2 trailer! :D
  • Whizzo 5 Oct 2012 10:56:40 43,088 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gelf stands for genetically engineered life form, they're human created hence the name.

As for the Psirens, there's no indication of where they came from but probably from yet another bonkers Space Corps lab.

edit: they're just another GELF variant

Finally solving the 'no aliens' problem that frustrated the writers in their early series, the team - having already got over their 'we don't want a robot' issues with Kryten - finally met their own logic half-way with GELFs.

Genetically Engineered Life-Forms allowed all the weird alien-esque monsters and societies they wanted, but with a strict rule that everything originated from life on Earth. While the acronym was another series away, the Polymorph was the first bit of biological tampering - leading to Camille the pleasure GELF, the Psirens and the primitive Kinitawowi, as well as, arguably, the mutton vindaloo beast and sentient virus Epideme.
    Edited by Whizzo at 11:00:13 05-10-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• octo 5 Oct 2012 11:00:33 979 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I liked it quite a bit. Up until the very last scene I thought Listers dialogue had been terrible. But I enjoyed his rant :-)
  • PearOfAnguish 5 Oct 2012 11:00:54 7,201 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, Whizzo is right. No aliens in RD universe. It's incredibly bleak.

Read the first two books, they go into a lot more detail about the world. Really dark humour too.
  • bad09 5 Oct 2012 11:03:27 5,783 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Whizzo

Awesome geek knowledge my friend! Never realised that myself.
  • PearOfAnguish 5 Oct 2012 11:03:59 7,201 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    S.J.Rogers wrote:
    new Bottom series
    Holy shit, had not heard about this. Sceptical they can make a comeback after an 18 year break and it not being set in that grubby flat is a shame, but we shall see.

GAS MAN! GAS MAN! GAS MAN!

Yes...HAVE YOU GOT SOMEONE WHO LOOKS AFTER YOU?
  • thelzdking 5 Oct 2012 11:18:49 4,367 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It wasn't awful and it had its moments, but the programme is still missing something, probably Rob Grant.
  • the_dudefather 5 Oct 2012 11:25:50 9,277 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    GAS MAN! GAS MAN! GAS MAN!
    YOU MUST!

YOU MUST STAY AND HAVE OUR LOVELY TEA!

IT'S THE BEST TEA IN LONDON!

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• nickthegun 5 Oct 2012 11:40:28 59,420 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:

Read the first two books, they go into a lot more detail about the world. Really dark humour too.
    My memory is hazy, but is one of those books 'better than life'? because that is really quite bleak.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• thelzdking 5 Oct 2012 11:43:52 4,367 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    PearOfAnguish wrote:

My memory is hazy, but is one of those books 'better than life'? because that is really quite bleak.
    Yes, the books are:

Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers
    Better Than Life
    The Last Human
    Backwards

The last two were written by Doug Naylor and Rob Grant respectively, whereas the first two were collaborative efforts.

Edited by thelzdking at 11:45:43 05-10-2012
  • the_dudefather 5 Oct 2012 11:51:48 9,277 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Oh my god this is fantastic :D

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• PearOfAnguish 5 Oct 2012 12:00:23 7,201 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    PearOfAnguish wrote:

Ay, BTL is very dark.

The other two solo books aren't really worthwhile unless you're a real fan, though I have a vague memory of Rob Grant's effort being slightly better than Naylor's.
  • PearOfAnguish 5 Oct 2012 12:03:48 7,201 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    Goodfella wrote:
    **vid**
    Oh my god this is fantastic :D
    Brilliant.

That is an amazing episode. Also love 'Culture', when they lose their telly and just spend the evening winding each other up even more than normal. The chess scene is excellent.

• thelzdking 5 Oct 2012 12:11:46 4,367 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    PearOfAnguish wrote:

Ay, BTL is very dark.

The other two solo books aren't really worthwhile unless you're a real fan, though I have a vague memory of Rob Grant's effort being slightly better than Naylor's.
    It's shitloads better; The Last Human is full of wanky dramatic crap like season 7.
  • Steve_Perry 5 Oct 2012 12:54:12 3,872 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just watched this on the dave website. Have to say it is a lot better than I expected. Certainly better than series 7/8/9. Rimmer is a great character, they have got him back to his best with this one. Bodes well for the rest of the series.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• PearOfAnguish 5 Oct 2012 13:08:05 7,201 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Steeeeve Perry.
  • FogHeart 5 Oct 2012 14:02:34 944 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At the start it didn't look too promising - moose jokes and Rimmer's predictable reaction to the exam - but right after that it grabbed hold and didn't let go at all. Very well done.

Through everything I've watched in Red Dwarf, it seems to me that every piece of tech - robot, AI, whatever - doesn't have it in their programming to recognise that the human race is probably extinct and it reasons and acts as if they're still out there.
  • dsmx 5 Oct 2012 15:19:38 7,589 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But most of the tech was programmed to serve, I highly doubt that the programmers put a few lines of code for the unlikely event that the human race ceased to exist.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Machetazo 5 Oct 2012 23:34:21 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a brief interview on scifinow.co.uk with the creators, along with a few individual shots.
  • RobTheBuilder 6 Oct 2012 01:49:20 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just moved, and new place doesn't have Dave... gutted
  • ecureuil 6 Oct 2012 01:51:28 76,707 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can get tv over t'internet these days.
  • Deleted user 6 October 2012 05:07:22
    Glad people like it. Can't help but feel they've done everything already but I was pleasantly surprised. Shame they didn't try to keep the shines of it all though, it's maybe a touch tarted up but you'd have thought they'd have upgraded their shitty craft after all this time.

/show me the CRTs.
  • thefilthandthefury 6 Oct 2012 10:31:11 24,983 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Facepalm wrote:
    respect to them, but the new episode wasn't bad.. the new holly looks horrible. Missing the point. A clever computer!
    I got the impression she'd just be for that episode though... she seemed a bit... evil or something.

I could be totally wrong, of course!
  • Page

of 41 First / Last