• MrWonderstuff 24 Dec 2013 12:04:50 1,922 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @crimpy That was cool.
  • INSOMANiAC 24 Dec 2013 12:22:17 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Cannon_Fodder (losing)

I turned the head bob off and its much better, and turned motion blur right off and that makes it a lot better as well. Been getting disconnected from all servers for the past half hour and of course, theres practially no zombies, anywhere. Kind of just spoiling the game for myself because you can run around and see anything with very little danger. That being said I was in the hospital and some guy sneaked up on me and started twatting me with an axe, I made my escape but I couldnt find a bandage for love nor money, theres far too many pointless bits of clothing and rotten bananas and not much else.

I find it very very hard to believe its the exact same3 melee combat at the moment, even down to the bullet sound when you use an axe etc. They really have just dropped it straight out of the mod, its pathetic. Of course, theyll sort it in the end and im impressed with what theyve done so far with the environments

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 24 December 2013 12:24:57
  • Deleted user 24 December 2013 12:26:33
    @INSOMANiAC you can tear up some of those clothes to make bandages, albeit non-sterile ones. I know it definitely works on t-shirts.
  • INSOMANiAC 24 Dec 2013 12:32:46 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @SovietofBears ah I totally forgot about that cheers. I couldnt pick up half the stuff I came across, the dick that attacked me had one of the bike helmets on but I could never pick one up, or gun parts

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 24 December 2013 12:39:15
    @INSOMANiAC Sounds like main server issues to me, I noticed inventory stuff could get laggy at times and I guess this week there's the extra joy of lots of people being on holiday so more load going on.

Look on the bright side, at least you can play PC games. I'm slightly bored away for the holidays, trying to work up enthusiasm for the 360 under the telly and the pile of what I suspect are near exclusively CoD games...
  • INSOMANiAC 24 Dec 2013 12:54:08 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @SovietofBears I bought a PS4 and I have to force myself to go on it, I only play battlefield 4 on it, killzone looks awful in 30fps and assassins creed is the same game as 2,3,revelations etc but with some sailing bits.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 24 December 2013 13:06:33
    @INSOMANiAC Yeah, bit early for the next gen yet :)

I have found a copy of Arkham City. That'll occupy me until drinks time this evening!
  • Bananazniper 24 Dec 2013 13:34:14 584 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Enjoying this but it's definitely an acquired taste at the moment. I was stalked and held at gunpoint by two players. They handcuffed me and started taking my blood. I was genuinely angry lol. From then on I'm a lot warier and have lasted 4 hours with my current character and I'm armed to the teeth, my eyes are everywhere. It's not really a game at the moment, it's a paranoia simulator. You have to assume every small town you approach someone is watching you and planning your death.

Edited by Bananazniper at 13:41:45 24-12-2013
  • Cannon_Fodder 24 Dec 2013 14:04:19 216 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC I did notice the axe sounds and stuff too. It's a bit disheartening. I understand it's Alpha and it's early days yet, but how difficult would it have been to I don't know, change the sound so it sounds less like they've just replaced a gun skin with an axe?

I doubt it's high up on their list of priorities but still if you're going to drop the Alpha out for public release I would have thought they might have put in a decent amount of work with the melee and standard weapons. There aren't that many spawning yet either right?

Yeah, experiencing serious lack of zombies too. They're lethal at times when I bump into them and don't have a fire axe (one hit) but that is few and far between.

I don't know. This has it's moments like the mod where I thoroughly enjoy it. I think I'll continue to go back to it for god knows how long. I'm just not getting my hopes up "right now". It still feels like a mod tacked onto a game to make it do some out of the ordinary shit.

EDIT

I've had some great player interaction. Ran right into a group of 4 or 5 and was surrounded with M4's. They politely asked me to move towards the prison, to which I declined and replied with "I'm not going anywhere. You kill me now or I plant my axe in the middle of your skull". After two failed attempts at breaking my legs I went out swinging. Have also been lined up against the wall and shot at a barracks. Fun times.

This game really brings out the bandit in people.

Edited by Cannon_Fodder at 14:06:21 24-12-2013

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• Br0ken_Engli5h 24 Dec 2013 14:06:46 1,190 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If anybody's still really struggling I can donate a pistol and a mag. I have no mic currently, though. Making a meet a little more hairy.

@Bananazniper

Yeah, I find it's quite an emotional game. There's nothing quite like it for making me nervous when I come across survivors and have some loot worth keeping hold of. Even confrontations where you've obviously got the upper hand can all go pear shaped once a few shots have been fired, drawing other bandits and zeds to you.

I'm determined to be a good samaritan for the moment. I'd acquired the bandit skin in the mod, mainly just by either defending myself or getting too twitchy when someone's coming my way.
    Besides, banditry is mainly pointless right now. Short of a few medical supplies and an ACOG scope for the M4, I'm kitted out with pretty much the best stuff.
  • BillMurray 24 Dec 2013 15:08:47 7,616 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SovietofBears wrote:
    That's absolutely brilliant.
  • INSOMANiAC 26 Dec 2013 15:57:11 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Im currently pottering about in christ nows where with a gun with no bullets, im sick though and I have nothing to cure it. Already been shot on sight a number of times, the only friendly was aspanish fella begging me not to hurt him as it was his first time (oo er)

Frankly, as a fascinating insight into the breakdown of civilisation then its all well and good, but getting shot for nothing is a ball ache. Still, surival of the fittest n all that and I tell you what, next fucker I see with a gun drawn is getting shot if I find some bullets... I wont be shooting non armed people though it just pointless. I found a lot more friendly people in the original but then, it slowly turned into no one trusting each other, just as I suspect it would in real life.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 28 Dec 2013 13:32:13 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is the only cure for sickness one of those inhection yellow thingies? I was getting sicker and sicker and that weird 'its hurts so bad' voice was doing my head in so I flung myself off a block of flats. Was a shame because I had a lot of good stuff. I've found plenty of guns and attachments but I'm yet to find any bullets.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• poobob 28 Dec 2013 14:12:22 75 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I decided to buy Arma 2 over Chrimbo and give the mod a try.

I have absolutely no fucking idea what I'm doing.

I wish there with servers without zombies. Far more interested in the survival and human story, the zombies just spoil it.
  • Moot_Point 28 Dec 2013 14:30:13 3,917 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Glol!

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• INSOMANiAC 28 Dec 2013 15:05:05 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @poobob get the standalone. There practically no zombies on it at the moment.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• poobob 28 Dec 2013 16:03:31 75 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yeah, I know, but they'll be back.

Don't really want to pay for 1 game twice in a week either, I'll get it eventually!
  • INSOMANiAC 29 Dec 2013 01:17:07 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @poobob I personally would have gone for the standalone. While it's true the zombies will be back, and there's nowhere near as many features such as vehicles on the standalone, it has a far better system for detecting cheaters, you can watch the game expand, the locations are much much better and most building can be entered.

You can get used to all the controls etc, explore, learn what everything does and then wait until the inevitable zombie flood. I pretend in my childlike mind that I'm just at the start of the outbreak and that it'll grow rapidly....

That being said, the zombies walk through wall on this version at the moment! You're definitely getting a more fully fledged experience on the mod, but DayZ is only going to get bigger and better !

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 29 Dec 2013 11:28:43 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone up for meeting up and trying to survive this thing? maybe less likely to be shot on sight with 2 or more of us, Im currently in pretty good shape with 3 medikits, antibiotics and loads of food

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 29 Dec 2013 14:21:32 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    God damn that sickness from eating shit food is a slow way to die, just spent over an hour running across fields, searched at least 50 houses looking for charcoal. No joy, dropped dead in the middle of a forest with a backpack full of food and medical supplies.... Last time I go inland. There really is no reason to ever venture from the coastline.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Cosquae 29 Dec 2013 15:38:17 1,207 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    God damn that sickness from eating shit food is a slow way to die, just spent over an hour running across fields, searched at least 50 houses looking for charcoal. No joy, dropped dead in the middle of a forest with a backpack full of food and medical supplies.... Last time I go inland. There really is no reason to ever venture from the coastline.
    Last I played, and granted this was the Mod not the standalone, inland was considerably safer given the far lower density of players away from costal cities (airport and military bases aside). This no longer the case, or has the survival mechanics of the new game evolved the danger to where the risk/reward of being on the coast is more important?
  • abs13 29 Dec 2013 15:40:30 52 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Will probably end up buying this at some point. Worth putting any hours in so early in the game's development?
  • INSOMANiAC 29 Dec 2013 16:54:45 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Cosquae well because there's practically nothing on the buildings inland (of course there's good areas but if you're blindly wandering it isn't guaranteed) then it's really not advisable.

Because the game currently isn't really about the zombies as there isn't that many (although they can still be deadly) it becomes more of a survival game relying on food and water (you need lots of water). The coastline cities are more dangerous but they're the easiest way to find food and water. Most of the food is rotten in the SA, I don't think it had that last time I played the mod. If you eat the rotten food too much you get ill but sometimes you have no choice, and you aren't going to find the stuff to cure yourself in the middle of nowhere, you need a hospital or a very lucky charcoal drop. Logic dictates you could possibly burn logs to make charcoal. I've found loads of gas burners but have yet to find any matches.

Unless you've either got a ton of canned food or a load of antibiotics and water purification pills going inland is a fools errand... As I found out to my peril. And guess what, you're only really going to find those things in the big cities....

That being said there's a LOT more buildings and towns in the SA compared to the mod.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Physically_Insane 29 Dec 2013 16:58:27 8,621 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Glol!
    The first actual footage I've ever watched of this game. Brilliant!
  • INSOMANiAC 29 Dec 2013 16:58:34 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @abs13 the games totally playable it's pretty much the same as the mod but with less zombies, which is actually good if you're a 'noob'. Also there's no vehicles yet. That being said it still has the god awful melee combat and now has zombies that can walk through walls ... But you'll still have a great experience with it, and just can slowly learn all the mechanics as the game builds up. It's entirely up to you whether you want to wait over a year to play it in a more polished state but if you bought it today you're still getting a highly playable survival game that's unlike anything else out there and despite all it's flaws it'll still probably get you hooked.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• bodhi85uk 29 Dec 2013 17:11:35 179 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC The melee is pretty shit unless you've got the fire axe, simply because of how many hits it takes to kill anything.

The melee is fundamentally different now though. In the mod your character just "fired a bullet" 1m in front of them so to speak, where as now the model is swung using ray-casting(?) and will intersect anything in the 3D space in its path. So you could swing at somebody next to a pole and only hit the pole.

Its a lot easier if you forget about the crosshair and look at the melee weapons actual trajectory. I was knocking zombies out left and right with my fists earlier just by looking at how the model actually moved and lining things up accordingly.
  • INSOMANiAC 29 Dec 2013 17:43:15 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @bodhi85uk Wel it still uses the bullet sound and is pretty awful with some stuff like the wood axe

I just respawned near the airfield, two blokes held up in the air traffic control centre, I went in , they handcuffed me, took some blood then let me go... I felt like being a bastard so I snuck up on the roof with my axe but they heard me, I pulled out my axe and lunged at one swinging it but they both riddled me with bullets. Good times!

I'm not usually a prick but I knew they'd kill me and I wanted to respawn as I was dying of thirst

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 17:43:37 29-12-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• poobob 29 Dec 2013 17:44:49 75 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    With naught but an axe I scouted a tiny village for weapons, don't know what triggered it but most of the zeds in the area decided to make a beeline for me, that's certain death with only a melee weapon. So I turned and ran down the road. Another player trundles past in some crappy car and beeps his horn, I run over and get in, he drives me to safety.

He needs fuel for the car so we stop to search some buildings. Like a dick, I fall out of a 2nd floor window, break both my legs, lose a shitload of blood and attract all the zeds in the area to boot. While I'm unconscious matey turns up and kills the zeds with his rifle, saving my ass again in the space of 5 minutes. He revives me and gets me back to the car. We need a hospital.

After a 5 minute journey we make it to an abandoned hospital in a large town and he gives me a blood transfusion and fixes me up. He logs off for the United game, but leaves me his rifle. This sort of behavior is not common in DayZ, I've watched a fuck ton of vids and it's generally dog eat dog, so this guy is a saint.

I take the rifle and get in the car for a pootle. I stop at a deserted military checkpoint to scavenge for goods. Fuck all there so I hop back in. As I drive off another player bursts out of the treeline ahead with 3 zeds in tow, he calls out for help. I get out and take down the zeds but the guy's in a bad way, luckily I have more blood bags from the hospital so I fix him up. I've had enough drama for one afternoon so I log out but leave him the rifle. He's chuffed.

All in the space of about 20 minutes.

Wish I'd bought the SA, as I'd quite like someone to play with, but no vehicles is a bit of a deal breaker.
  • INSOMANiAC 29 Dec 2013 17:48:59 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I ressurected an unconscious person once, but he still just lay there. Half an hour later he showed up in a random building and have me a gun. God knows how he found me again

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Page

of 12 First / Last