No Man's Sky Page 263

• Page

of 273 First / Last

• Flying_Pig 15 May 2017 09:11:24 15,417 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I ended up having an hour or so to kill over the weekend so decided to give this another go to see what's changed in the last 6 months or so. Well, first I had to download a monster update, which obviously took some time, but I eventually got into the game using my existing save.

I immediately saw that the space station was a bit busier with more aliens lurking in the common area. There also seem to be a wider variety of upgrade options and new elements to trade in.

In space, things seemed much the same, although once I was on-planet the number of locations seemed materially smaller. Whereas before there were endless outposts, crash sites, ruins etc, the 2 planets I visited seemed relatively barren in comparison.

Because of this, and partly because neither planet was particularly hospitable, I haven't looked at the base building aspect yet.

So, I can definitely see the enhancements that Hello Games have made, but I remain unconvinced as to whether they'll be enough to drag me back into the game...
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 15 May 2017 09:41:01 31,395 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I hit a bug in the Base Building that's pretty irritating. It's a tutorial, but you have to do it exactly as the game says or it keeps resetting. It asked me to hire a Builder, so I did, but not the exact Builder it wanted (the one from the Builder in the space station above), so it reset all progress in the Tutorial.

I will come back to it, but it killed all momentum I had. Good little game though, for the most part :)
  • cs96and 23 May 2017 13:27:06 174 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I picked this up for about Ł12 in a PSN sale recently, and started it over the weekend. Its quite a relaxing game (which I have no problem with), but not sure if I'm going to get bored very quickly.

I've not come to a base building tutorial yet though. I presume that will pop up after a few warps? I don't understand why I'd bother to build a base that I'm never going to come back to though?
  • glo 23 May 2017 16:01:40 3,561 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @cs96and - You can teleport back to your base from any space station.
  • cs96and 23 May 2017 16:31:33 174 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @glo That explains the teleporters that I can't use yet then!

Even so, is there a reason to go back?
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 23 May 2017 16:50:46 31,395 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Storage space, and I think there's some sort of farming systems you can set up.
  • Flying_Pig 26 May 2017 13:19:03 15,417 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've picked this up again (while I wait for Wipeout Omega) and have established my base. On the plus side, developing your base gives the game some needed direction/motivation, which I'm hoping will in turn generate more money to give me access to better ships (and a frigate!?) etc

I've not yet got to the point of building any exocraft, but the prospect of burning around my home planet in a buggy, mining exotic materials is quite appealing.

On the downside, the 'missions' are quite vague, not really saying exactly what you need to do. And the addition of lots of interesting new elements, just exacerbates the issue with restricted storage.

Still, the game does continue to impress - there seems to be more wildlife on the planets I've visited, with greater variety.

I'll be putting another 2-3 hours in to this on Saturday evening and hopefully another couple over the following week, so I should get at lease one exocraft up and running?
  • Dave_McCoy 26 May 2017 17:26:40 3,086 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Exocraft are great. On Permadeath mode they are absolutely essential I'd say since you are protected from the elements and life support discharge whilst in it. Just have a store of plutonium handy...although it seems pretty abundant.

I did have a hairy moment once on an ice cave planet with no plutonium hardly though...
  • Flying_Pig 26 May 2017 17:45:31 15,417 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Am I right in thinking that you can move your Base to other planets?
  • Flying_Pig 30 May 2017 10:08:24 15,417 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Some more progress over the weekend, but nothing revelatory - still doing fetch/carry missions for my base people, many of which are annoyingly vague - for example sending me off to get a Venom Sac, but giving me no indication of where I'd find one or what it even looks like.

After an hour or so of searching across multiple planets, I had to resort to googling the answer (you get it by killing a certain underwater urchin things found on some planets). I still haven't found any yet :(

The game is a massive time-sink, and is still very enjoyable. The base building does give it some more direction, but I would appreciate a touch more hand-holding...
  • Gibroon 30 May 2017 10:30:05 1,915 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I put a few more hours into my survival game after the recent patch. Still enjoy roaming about the place and the vehicles at least give you a much quicker way of exploring planets even though you need the mats for a new exocraft dock on an unexplored planet.

@Flying_Pig

You can change to any other home base you find on another planet. Any materials used to build your base will be stored but you will have to reconstruct your base again. If you have built storage containers (you get up to 10), as soon as you rebuild them anything stored in the containers will reappear. I have heard that a bug can happen where the contents go missing so I would make a save before changing bases just in case.

I've been looking for a decent planet for a new base for a while now but looking forward to building something a bit more pleasing on the eye. Not played for a few week though. I do hope they continue to put out new updates, hopefully a revamp to the space flying/fighting would be good.
  • Flying_Pig 2 Jun 2017 09:43:35 15,417 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had another couple of hours on this last night - solely searching for a Venom Sac to enable me to progress the Base Building arc. Half a dozen or so planets, half with water, lots of lakes searched, no fookin' sign of what I'm looking for D:

This aimless searching is quite frustrating (especially in a sand box as cast as this), although I did stumble on a 44-slot crashed ship (I think I'm rocking 28 slots currently), although it's nowhere near as slick as my current ride....

With Wipeout Omega coming next week, this will be going back on on the pile...
  • StarchildHypocrethes 21 Jun 2017 09:22:47 30,566 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Picked this up cheap yesterday as I quite fancied giving it a go after all the updates to see how it is now. Started up a Survival game and actually quite enjoyed the challenge it gave over the course of the evening.

Up until I just needed 10 bits of Zinc to fix the last bit of my ship.

Two hours of wandering / recharging later and FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING SHIT CAN SOMEONE JUST GIVE ME SOME FUCKING ZINC
  • solidsneek 21 Jun 2017 09:40:46 372 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    When first seeing this game I thought wow this could be my competition with elite dangerous (I love the colors etc) but with all the bad press and s*** storm the producers have got I just can't bring myself to buy it.
  • Flying_Pig 21 Jun 2017 10:06:18 15,417 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Picked this up cheap yesterday as I quite fancied giving it a go after all the updates to see how it is now. Started up a Survival game and actually quite enjoyed the challenge it gave over the course of the evening.

Up until I just needed 10 bits of Zinc to fix the last bit of my ship.

Two hours of wandering / recharging later and FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING SHIT CAN SOMEONE JUST GIVE ME SOME FUCKING ZINC
    :D

Item and inventory management really does feel like a chore - it's not too bad for the most part, although you can get stuck looking for a particular element. Unfortunately the most recent updates have made this worse, if anything, as there are now more elements and some particularly rare ones are needed for the base building...

It's worth flagging that Zinc is found in plants (same as Platinum etc)
  • Jim_Dix 21 Jun 2017 11:02:35 335 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Can one of you who has been playing since the basebuilding update give me some advice?

Once you have finished the various quests attached to the base building and unlocked the items (Hazmat gauntlet, advanced mining laser, hydroponics) is there a way to relocate your base onto your freighter? The build menu on board the freighter has all the same options as the terrestrial base, but you can't put the engineering or farming benches in without first relocating the base and I cannot for the life of me find an option to do so.

I'd rather have a mobile home ship that can follow me around the cosmos than have the ballache of teleporting back and forth.
  • foster2007 21 Jun 2017 11:03:03 160 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Get this on VR!
  • Flying_Pig 21 Jun 2017 11:09:30 15,417 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jim_Dix wrote:
    Can one of you who has been playing since the basebuilding update give me some advice?

Once you have finished the various quests attached to the base building and unlocked the items (Hazmat gauntlet, advanced mining laser, hydroponics) is there a way to relocate your base onto your freighter? The build menu on board the freighter has all the same options as the terrestrial base, but you can't put the engineering or farming benches in without first relocating the base and I cannot for the life of me find an option to do so.

I'd rather have a mobile home ship that can follow me around the cosmos than have the ballache of teleporting back and forth.
    I don't think you can... You can move your base to new planets, but not to your freighter AFAIK
  • Gibroon 21 Jun 2017 11:16:26 1,915 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Jim_Dix

I think you can only have one workbench up at a time, so if you have an engineering workstation in your base you can't have one in your freighter. If you delete the one in your home base, you will be able to build it in your freighter or vice versa.
  • Jim_Dix 21 Jun 2017 11:18:06 335 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Flying_Pig Cheers.

It's weird. I'm sure the trailers showed hydroponics labs built on board your freighter but maybe I'm wrong. What is the point of the customisable area of the freighter if you can't add the functionality? :confused:

I've moved bases once, but given the scale of the game and the goal being to travel and explore the universe I think having a fixed base was always a rather weird thing to add. If it was possible to land on a planet that someone else discovered and find their custom built base I'd see some value in it.
  • Jim_Dix 21 Jun 2017 11:20:02 335 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Gibroon Ah, now I don't think I tried that. May fire this up and have a look tonight.
  • solidsneek 21 Jun 2017 11:21:13 372 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It seems like this does have a following - Any point in buying?
  • TolandsRancour 21 Jun 2017 11:22:52 1,951 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This still runs like absolute dogshit on my PC and it really shouldn't be...

Just panning the camera can see massive frame rate drops to the low 30's back up to 60 and down again which makes it horrendous to play and or enjoy. Anyone got any tips for setting's, fixes etc.?
  • Dirtbox 21 Jun 2017 13:25:00 89,196 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Try turning off vsync.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 21 Jun 2017 14:54:52 30,566 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One thing about this is that I swear it looks worse on my Pro that it did on my old PS4 when I first got it. Everything seems kind of blurry and a bit textureless, when I'm sure I remember it look pretty spesh when it came out.
  • Dirtbox 21 Jun 2017 15:01:12 89,196 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I saw some DF thing about that, the Pro doesn't seem to get a much of a better version of anything with games that were released pre-pro.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 21 Jun 2017 15:09:50 31,395 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They added some settings you can change, and I think the update changed it from what the old defaults were. I can't remember what exactly, but dig around in the options and see what there is.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 21 Jun 2017 15:13:20 30,566 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah ok, I shall take a look.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 21 Jun 2017 15:16:08 31,395 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not guaranteeing it'll be better, mind. I've never played on a base model or pre-Foundation update so I can't fairly compare, but there was one of the fancy new graphic options they added that I remember disabling.

Edited by DFawkes at 15:16:34 21-06-2017
  • Page

of 273 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.