Dragon Quest VIII Page 3

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• caligari 18 Nov 2005 01:00:20 17,061 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ohhh, Final Fantasy 7.

The game that taught me to NEVER use a third party memory card.

58 Hours of gameplay WIPED...and that was before I even managed to complete the thing.

One day I'll return...one...day...
  • Bloody.lawonG 19 Nov 2005 11:05:54 87 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is there a european date yet?
  • silentbob 19 Nov 2005 11:58:51 28,976 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    First impressions of this are fairly disappointing - I have to admit the short opeining is great looking, and the engine certainly shows promise, but some of the scenery and artwork is bland beyond belief.

Very very very early days yet though - I reckon it'll turn out to be a stormer. :)

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• ilmaestro 19 Nov 2005 12:36:37 32,460 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got this in the mail this morning too, and I have the day off from work, so I'll be getting stuck in once I go and see GoF again...

• Scimarad 19 Nov 2005 12:39:38 8,551 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I reckon I won't be getting mine until Tuesday. More to do with our local post than VGP, I think:-(
  • silentbob 19 Nov 2005 18:20:14 28,976 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Right - I'm getting the feel for DQ now. For some reason I was expecting some fancy, complex JRPG - but not at all.

I'm beginning to realise that DQ is probably a JRPG with simple tastes, and that suites me down to the ground. I find the Final Fantasy's these days just too 'flouncy' and needlessly padded. DQ is raw RPG character building with some good characterisation and brilliant sense of humour (not to add spoilers, but I defy anyone NOT to laugh out loud at some of the monster's special attacks). The onus does seem to be on levelling and char building - and I am fine with that. I am one of the few gamers that actually enjoy level grinding. :D

It is fairly unforgiving to n00bs (like me) I found, theres none of this 'ease you into the game' nonsense as with most titles these days. I blundered off into the first task expecting to find a tutorial and quickly got my arse slapped. The combat isn't tough per se, but you do actually have to plan to a small extent - and I suspect that the tactical element to teh combat may become more important later on.

The graphics are excellent, but not stunning (at least thus far). The engine is excellent - the rolling scenery and landscapes spool seamlessly from the disc, and it does feel refreshingly free - but disappointingly 'empty' so far.

Anyhoo - I reckon this'll be a slow burner that I'll wind up loving.

• ilmaestro 19 Nov 2005 18:41:16 32,460 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And buying?

• sephy 19 Nov 2005 19:53:26 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmistx wrote:

The FFXII demo on the other crashed on the opening cinematic, but I can play the demo by skipping the cutscene.

Edited by darkmistx at 10:09:21 19-11-2005

works fine on mine using a dvdr :)
  • silentbob 20 Nov 2005 00:42:33 28,976 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    And buying?
    Nope.

Edit: Oh OK. 11 hours in and I'm loving it too much now. I've ordered it. :)

Edited by silentbob at 00:13:34 21-11-2005

• silentbob 21 Nov 2005 00:08:45 28,976 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    *Bump* - anyone else playing yet?

• silentbob 21 Nov 2005 00:08:46 28,976 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    *Bump* - anyone else playing yet?

• ilmaestro 21 Nov 2005 01:37:06 32,460 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:
    And buying?
    Nope.

Edit: Oh OK. 11 hours in and I'm loving it too much now. I've ordered it. :)

Edited by silentbob at 00:13:34 21-11-2005
    Thank God! I did start playing, as in turned on, loaded up the menu screen and hit start, when the PC downstairs threw a shit fit and I've had to spend time sorting that out instead. I really mean to get a good session with DQVIII tomorrow.

• Scimarad 21 Nov 2005 07:13:31 8,551 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "The combat isn't tough per se, but you do actually have to plan to a small extent - and I suspect that the tactical element to teh combat may become more important later on."

Hmmm, sounds similar to DDS. Looking forward to playing this.
  • silentbob 22 Nov 2005 13:04:22 28,976 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Come on guys. There must be someone out there playing it!

I really am beginning to like the characterisation for this game, not only is the animation excellent (no twee, run of the mill super deformed rubbish) - the story is great. Finally, the voice acting (all british BTW) is pretty darned good too. For the first time since FFVII I am starting to actually care about the characters.

Also, just got a fourth member in my porty and I kick arse!!! :)

• silentbob 22 Nov 2005 15:46:46 28,976 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ahab wrote:
    I played it for a while, i thought it was absolutely awesome...but we have a very important deadline in two weeks and I'm too worried to be able to play anything but action puzzlers. The way it started off and the first 2 or 3 hours were awesome though.
    Noooo! I need someone to talk to about it! ;)

Tengu: Pull a sicky and get playing. Need to swap tips. :D

• Deleted user 22 November 2005 20:48:05
    Played for 30-smth minutes before running out of resources in the first cave and getting my ass kicked by the "end of level boss". I was expecting a game over screen and was pleasantly surprised by the keep-xp-lose-half-gold deal I got! \o/

Will return to this one soon but I doubt it'll be before the weekend.
  • silentbob 22 Nov 2005 20:57:42 28,976 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    valli wrote:
    Played for 30-smth minutes before running out of resources in the first cave and getting my ass kicked by the "end of level boss". I was expecting a game over screen and was pleasantly surprised by the keep-xp-lose-half-gold deal I got! \o/

Will return to this one soon but I doubt it'll be before the weekend.
    Glad to see I wasn't the only useless one. The gold penalty seemed harsh at first (I lost aroudn 900 in one ill judged outing) but then I realised that it's actually brilliant. It really makes you think about how you approach journeys and battles, and means that there are consequences if you fuck thinsg up.

Having said that, overall you get to grips with it very quickly and it becomes second nature. Got the alchemy pot a couple of hours ago in game, and I'm looking forward to Gary Rhodesing some killer items. :)

• Deleted user 22 November 2005 21:02:56
    I think the risk of the world ending and everybody turning into cannibal demons is quite small... :D
    *puts down Shin Megami Tensei mug*
  • silentbob 23 Nov 2005 00:17:06 28,976 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ahab wrote:
    Is it still as lighthearted and funny as in the beginning? The way it started off, this looked like a perfect RPG for me, I hope it doesn't become any darker and stuff?
    It really is. Some of the monsters and their attacks have had me laughing out loud - and I can't remember ever doing that whilst playing a single player RPG. :)

Theres also some quality scripting - theres been some real thought gone into the translation.

I've got some curious ingredients lining up for the alchemy pot too - what do you think a cowpat would be used for? ;)

Edited by silentbob at 00:27:13 23-11-2005

• Scimarad 23 Nov 2005 07:14:59 8,551 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh dear, those dancing devils! They are the best (so far).
  • silentbob 23 Nov 2005 11:38:47 28,976 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    Oh dear, those dancing devils! They are the best (so far).
    Heh!

/Boogies

Can't wait until you find the Puppet Masters in a few hours time. ;)

• Deleted user 23 November 2005 21:52:11
    The only DQ games I've played are the (excellent) Monsters spin-offs. Really really glad this is coming to Europe. Now we just need a date.
  • silentbob 24 Nov 2005 12:51:01 28,976 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sorry to keep banging on about it, but this game is fantastic!

It's the absolute ideal RPG for me. One of the biggest things is the emphasis on exploring. The world is truly huge, 13 hours in and I've barely seen a tenth of it. Unlike Final Fantasy, which really feels sanboxed - DQ allows to to roam completely around the glorious landscape, and what's more is it rewards your curiosity. Bonus monsters and treasure chests litter the maps, and although the random battles are frequent - they just aren't grating on me at all yet!

What I also find refreshing is that character building. It has sufficient depth, without being complex.

Still haven't managed to find a recipe that includes those cowpats. ;)

• Decoded 24 Nov 2005 12:56:15 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    You were doing so well until you mentioned the frequent random battles. Bah.
  • silentbob 24 Nov 2005 14:01:12 28,976 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    I'm still not too far in, but it is very nice so far. The random battles really aren't as bad as they are in most other RPGs somehow, but in the early stages, the battles feel completely devoid of strategy. Hope this changes soon enough.
    When you start battling 6 enemies with a party of 4 it becomes a little more interesting. Looking back on it now, the first sections really are a tutorial of sorts, albeit a somewhat tough one.

I've never had much of a problem with random battles (at leas not in moderation). In this context it works really well, because if there was a way of avoiding all combat all of the time, the exploration would be nowhere near as exciting or challenging or rewarding.

Edited by silentbob at 14:01:37 24-11-2005

• Deleted user 26 November 2005 11:50:02
    I'm about 4h in now and the combat is still far too simple, although some tactics are in sight. Loved the door joke at the first tower, the music and the voices.

Any suggestions what I should invest my level up points into? Right now I'm mostly focusing on one skill per character, should I spread them out more?

Oh, and the game runs great off the HD!
  • ekko 26 Nov 2005 12:10:42 904 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any new word on a EU release?
  • silentbob 26 Nov 2005 15:42:42 28,976 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    valli wrote:
    I'm about 4h in now and the combat is still far too simple, although some tactics are in sight. Loved the door joke at the first tower, the music and the voices.

Any suggestions what I should invest my level up points into? Right now I'm mostly focusing on one skill per character, should I spread them out more?

Oh, and the game runs great off the HD!
    I'm afraid it will be until the next section of the game. You still only have a 2 person party yes? You're still at the very beginning of the game (you'll understand that I'm not joking when you get the world map during the next section ;).

As for skills, I'm still trying to decide myself. You usually gain new skills relating to the weapon you're carrying every 10 or so puints. My advice is to get Yangus's humanity up so that he gains 'heal' - and try and focus on one weapon skill for him (I eventually chose scythe). You'll have Jessica as a member of your party in a couple of hours...

Actually - don't worry too much at this stage, you're about to get to Port Peregrin (this is just before Jessica joins your party) there is an NPC (a woman I believe) near the dock that tells you what each skillset for each character does - very useful. UNtil then, play safe and focus the points on 2 or three areas for each character. At that stage it makes little difference as it's so early on.

Edited by silentbob at 15:43:54 26-11-2005

• Deleted user 26 November 2005 15:47:27
    Thanks sb, I found the Skill Lady and had a first "trial run" with the Port boss. Needless to say, he killed me. Will do some leveling up around the port, lots of good XP to be gained there.

The monsters are pretty much d00m3d now that I bought the boomerang! :)
  • silentbob 26 Nov 2005 15:54:04 28,976 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    valli wrote:
    The monsters are pretty much d00m3d now that I bought the
    boomerang! :)
    Good man. B3st weapon evar! :) Wait until you're power shotting across 6 enemies - very satisfying! ;)

If theres one piece of advice with this game it's: Take your time. Explore the map and level as you go - the style fits me like a glove it really does.

You've got some great sections coming up Valli - enjoy! :)

• Page

of 18 First / Last