Dragon Quest VIII Page 2

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• sephy 8 Oct 2005 14:19:02 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    valli wrote:
    Also saw on Gamespot's preview article that "there's a Japanese law that forbids the sale of Dragon Quest games on weekdays". Surely that's gotta be a joke? Or?? :)
    I've never understood if this is a joke or not, but it's to do with people throwing sickies to they can stay home and play the games.

• Blerk Moderator 10 Nov 2005 11:15:21 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice new trailer for the US version, including US voice-overs (which I'd not heard before). Hmm.

Still no date for the PAL release! \o/
  • kincaide 10 Nov 2005 11:17:33 5,067 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Nice new trailer for the US version, including US voice-overs (which I'd not heard before). Hmm.

Still no date for the PAL release! \o/

please, please, please PAL release

/crosses fingers
  • itamae 10 Nov 2005 11:19:13 9,884 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah yes, preordered that last week. Mainly because of the FF XII demo though. Being an RPG nut is a real time and money sink!
  • jellyhead 10 Nov 2005 11:21:38 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sephy wrote:
    valli wrote:
    Also saw on Gamespot's preview article that "there's a Japanese law that forbids the sale of Dragon Quest games on weekdays". Surely that's gotta be a joke? Or?? :)
    I've never understood if this is a joke or not, but it's to do with people throwing sickies to they can stay home and play the games.
    It's not the sale of the games i think it's that the DQ games won't be released on a weekday or something. As sephy said it's to do with people throwing a sickie on a massive scale on day of release and the government or some official body getting complaints. I think Gamestm has mentioned it before.
    These games are *HUGE* in Japan.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Blerk Moderator 10 Nov 2005 11:22:49 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kincaide wrote:
    please, please, please PAL release
    /crosses fingers
    It's already been confirmed for a PAL release, you don't need to worry there. There's just no sign of a release date.
  • jellyhead 10 Nov 2005 11:25:44 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    From the wikipedia:

The series is extremely popular in Japan. It's so popular that, following the release of Dragon Quest III in 1988, the Japanese Diet passed a law forbidding the release of new installments of the Dragon Quest series on any day other than a Sunday or a holiday, to prevent children from skipping school to wait in line for the latest Dragon Quest title[3].
    I think it refers to the manga rather than the video game.

• itamae 10 Nov 2005 11:34:34 9,884 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    itamae wrote:
    Ah yes, preordered that last week. Mainly because of the FF XII demo though.

You too, huh? :)

This and Wild Arms ACF on the same day... phew, RPGs for the next couple of months sorted :D
    Don't forget Magna Carta: Tears of Blood which is also out next week! It's Atlus' stealthiest release ever, most sites don't even list it yet and there are next to no reviews. I'm quite, er, intrigued by the character design.
  • OnlyMe 10 Nov 2005 11:43:23 3,104 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been looking forward to this since I played DQVII on the PSone, maybe the third best jrpg on the PSone. First being FFVII (of course) and Final Fantasy IX.

I'm not counting the re-releases of old Squaresoft games of course, in which case Chrono Trigger would rule by FFVIIs side.

But better than FFVII? We'll wait and see, but somehow I can only imagine that statement coming from some anti-FFVII fanboy.
  • silentbob 10 Nov 2005 12:19:45 28,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OnlyMe wrote:
    But better than FFVII? We'll wait and see, but somehow I can only imagine that statement coming from some anti-FFVII fanboy.
    Or just possibly someone with an open mind and rose tinted specs in a draw somewhere. :)

Really looking forward to this, god knows how I'll find the time to play it.

Where theres a will etc.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• ilmaestro 10 Nov 2005 12:45:38 32,460 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    From the wikipedia:

The series is extremely popular in Japan. It's so popular that, following the release of Dragon Quest III in 1988, the Japanese Diet passed a law forbidding the release of new installments of the Dragon Quest series on any day other than a Sunday or a holiday, to prevent children from skipping school to wait in line for the latest Dragon Quest title[3].
    I think it refers to the manga rather than the video game.
    The manga didn't start until 1990, I believe, and the games are the best selling games in Japan by some margin (with the exception of Pokemon) so I think we can safely say it's the games they're talking about.

On the subject of VIII, I too have preordered it, again primarily for the FFXII demo.

Edited by ilmaestro at 12:54:21 10-11-2005

• OnlyMe 10 Nov 2005 13:47:17 3,104 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    OnlyMe wrote:
    Or just possibly someone with an open mind and rose tinted specs in a draw somewhere. :)

So, people who love FFVII are close minded and wears rose tinted specs?

You could say the same about people who don't like FFVII. It's just that I've heard "it's better than FFVII" thing so many times, and 99% of the times it comes from a guy who doesn't really rate FFVII very high. You gotta admit, if a guy who praises FFVII to the moon says it's better, it's even more of a chance it's true than if some guy who doesn't even like FFVII very much.

It's like when someone who hates Star Wars says Jade Empire is better than KOTOR 1 or 2.

Besides, the press has been praising every new Final Fantasy game as being the greatest game yet. And using a phrase like "better than FFVII" is sure to get attention, so that could be a reason too. In all honesty, I find all these "Better than, Worse than" boxes in this magazine to be highly suspect most of the time - and pretty useless unless you have the exact same taste as the reviewer.
  • jellyhead 10 Nov 2005 13:53:15 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ... or experience of the games they refer to.

• silentbob 10 Nov 2005 14:24:58 28,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OnlyMe wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    OnlyMe wrote:

You could say the same about people who don't like FFVII. It's just that I've heard "it's better than FFVII" thing so many times, and 99% of the times it comes from a guy who doesn't really rate FFVII very high. You gotta admit, if a guy who praises FFVII to the moon says it's better, it's even more of a chance it's true than if some guy who doesn't even like FFVII very much.

It's like when someone who hates Star Wars says Jade Empire is better than KOTOR 1 or 2.

Besides, the press has been praising every new Final Fantasy game as being the greatest game yet. And using a phrase like "better than FFVII" is sure to get attention, so that could be a reason too. In all honesty, I find all these "Better than, Worse than" boxes in this magazine to be highly suspect most of the time - and pretty useless unless you have the exact same taste as the reviewer.
    Erm, whoah boy! You were the one that said:

"..but somehow I can only imagine that statement coming from some anti-FFVII fanboy."

..all I was saying was - it is possible, and if anyone's going to do it it'd be Squenix. For every gamer that unthinkingly says "FFVII has been superceded!" there are others that (equally without thought) say "OMG - Cloud is teh god and will nevar die!!!!". As Egon Spengler once said: "The door swings both ways..". :)

• Blerk Moderator 10 Nov 2005 14:30:53 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You think FFVII had worse random battles than Skies of Arcadia? Skies is well known for having "more random battles per hour than any other game". :-)
  • Blerk Moderator 10 Nov 2005 14:35:45 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you thought FFVII was confusing then I doubt you'll get on with Dragon Quest. It's very much a series for 'teh h4rdc0r3'.
  • OnlyMe 10 Nov 2005 14:44:03 3,104 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    OnlyMe wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    OnlyMe wrote:

Erm, whoah boy! You were the one that said:

"..but somehow I can only imagine that statement coming from some anti-FFVII fanboy."

..all I was saying was - it is possible, and if anyone's going to do it it'd be Squenix. For every gamer that unthinkingly says "FFVII has been superceded!" there are others that (equally without thought) say "OMG - Cloud is teh god and will nevar die!!!!". As Egon Spengler once said: "The door swings both ways..". :)

Yeah, I know that. I rate Chrono Trigger as high as FFVII (if not slightly below because I get more nostalgic feelings from FFVII) for one. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's just that I've heard it so many times, and therefore I'm a bit sceptic. And it's especially typical for the press to say it. They have a way of exaggerating a bit when it comes to things like this. No matter what the reviewer say, I think it's way too early for a comment like this anyway. It stands and falls on ability to age well. If a game ages as well as FFVII, it's a classic. If it doesn't, well, it's not as good is it?

And what's with the random encounters haters? Hell, there are games without them and there are games with them. I actually prefer the random encounters, I like the surprise elements they give. I know also that some people don't like how the encounters take you to a knew screen, but I like that too - or even prefer it. I'm looking at the world map for so many hours during the game anyway, why would I want everything to happen there? Variation is the clue here.

You might as well ask, why the hell are they still using turnbased? The consoles are powerful enough to have realtime already, give it up! I just don't see why random encounters can't exist. Besides, levelling is a drag in games without random encounters. Chrono Cross got away with that because levelling didn't really help. But look at it like this. You see the enemies on the screen. Kill them all, then leave and re-enter screen to kill the same enemies in the same order. Is that so much better?
  • sheepsteak 14 Nov 2005 20:26:16 251 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    You think FFVII had worse random battles than Skies of Arcadia? Skies is well known for having "more random battles per hour than any other game". :-)

True. Even more annoying when you're colourblind and can't tell which colour weapons to use. I had to give up on medical grounds on that one. :(
  • Firewine 15 Nov 2005 03:10:52 283 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't sleep, so:

Gamespot Review

I'm really looking forward to this (and not just because of the FFXII demo), and yet I can imagine it being at least two more weeks before I finally get to play it :(

Also, I finally watched the recent trailer... does anyone else think that Yangus really, REALLY sounds like Bob Hoskins? :/
  • Feanor 15 Nov 2005 03:18:26 14,173 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    Even Suikoden IV?

The video review I saw for that game made the random battles look annoying enough to cause a few suicides. And is it true that you have to battle sea weed?
  • Scimarad 15 Nov 2005 07:25:41 8,550 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh yes!

I counted - You get a random encounter every 6 or 7 seconds like clockwork. Sometimes even in towns:-(

Just read that Gamespot review - This sounds fantastic, like one of the classic old style RPGS! (not that I'm not a huge fan of modern cinematic RPGs). I'm now really looking forward to this:-)

Edited by Scimarad at 07:42:33 15-11-2005
  • Deleted user 15 November 2005 10:54:58
    9.5 on 1UP, 9.0 on GameSpot.
  • ilmaestro 16 Nov 2005 23:59:10 32,460 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Woo-hoo, preorder shipped from VG+ yesterday! Now to try to finish Grandia before it arrives...

• silentbob 17 Nov 2005 00:24:29 28,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just spied this on usenet.

/must ... resist .....

• silentbob 17 Nov 2005 21:40:32 28,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Just spied this on usenet.

/must ... resist .....
    I gave in. :)

• Page

of 18 First / Last